Match Thread ⚽️ Luton Town vs Coventry City Match Thread - Wednesday 14th Sep (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

I know we're all moaning about a 'shite' defence, but a quick look on that awful Luton board, they all seem ready to slit their own throats with their defence.
Bradley seems to be getting the same grief as Fadz, too old, too slow, not aggresive enough, rubbish heading, maybe we're not as bad as some make out?

Grendel

I know we're all moaning about a 'shite' defence, but a quick look on that awful Luton board, they all seem ready to slit their own throats with their defence.
Bradley seems to be getting the same grief as Fadz, too old, too slow, not aggresive enough, rubbish heading, maybe we're not as bad as some make out?

Yeah our defence is awful

torchomatic

Defence was rubbish last night. Again, both of their goals were preventable. If only we had a better defence. All in all I was pretty happy with the result and it was nice to come home with something for a change. Couldn't really see what the fuss was about when they were shouting for a penalty. Looked at it when we got home and still can't see what the fuss was about. Hit his knee, didn't it?

SBAndy

Lol. Our defence is atrocious. Gonna take my boots to the next home game.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Most ofif not all of the goals we’ve conceded this season have come from awful defending/goalkeeping.

every time a team comes forward they look like scoring, our back line is definitely as bad as we’re making out.

we’ve not kept a clean sheet all season and have only failed to concede more than 1 in 2 games.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Defence was rubbish last night. Again, both of their goals were preventable. If only we had a better defence. All in all I was pretty happy with the result and it was nice to come home with something for a change. Couldn't really see what the fuss was about when they were shouting for a penalty. Looked at it when we got home and still can't see what the fuss was about. Hit his knee, didn't it?
Angle from behind the goal it looked like Fadz hit the ball with his knee

clint van damme

We were talking to a Luton supporter after the game who said we deserved to win!
Not sure about that.

mmttww

Don't think you can fault MR's take on the game. Recognises the goals were poor. Not sure him or the coaches can do a lot about Dabo clearing the ball like a hungover Sun League player or Fadz breaking the rule you're taught in Primary School (don't let it bounce!).

Wilson still scares the p*ss out of me, mind. Wonder if Moore gets forgiven soon or if that's it for him until Wilson evens things up with a few howlers. Also frustrated we didn't make changes (Godden, Allen) but understand wanting a point as something to build on.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Don't think you can fault MR's take on the game. Recognises the goals were poor. Not sure him or the coaches can do a lot about Dabo clearing the ball like a hungover Sun League player or Fadz breaking the rule you're taught in Primary School (don't let it bounce!).

Wilson still scares the p*ss out of me, mind. Wonder if Moore gets forgiven soon or if that's it for him until Wilson evens things up with a few howlers. Also frustrated we didn't make changes (Godden, Allen) but understand wanting a point as something to build on.
You can blame him to an extent he’s coaching them on the training pitch. He hasn’t remedied the obvious defensive issues we’ve had for 3 years,

he’s ostracised the only other right back, so Dabo with his defensive deficiencies has to play. He signed palace left back before deciding he wasn’t good enough leaving Bidwell as our only left back - whilst he’s a solid left back - he isn’t a wing back.

we’ve been conceding poor goals all season and he’s persevering with the same plan that isn’t working.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We were talking to a Luton supporter after the game who said we deserved to win!
Not sure about that.

After Hamer scored I felt like the direction of the wind was with us. It is really difficult to see it from a neutral point of view, isn't it, but I did feel we had enough adrenaline running through us at that moment to put them to the sword. Whether our finishing did or not, is another question however, as we should have buried some other chances earlier in the game anyway.

Their introduction of substitutions, and our lack of, soon moved things back the other way again. Something that happens far, far too often. Perhaps a draw was a fair result in the end. We could have lost it as well given the ADHD our defenders possess, and the tiredness in the legs which weren't replaced. Feeling ok about the point today I think.

mmttww

You can blame him to an extent he’s coaching them on the training pitch. He hasn’t remedied the obvious defensive issues we’ve had for 3 years,

he’s ostracised the only other right back, so Dabo with his defensive deficiencies has to play. He signed palace left back before deciding he wasn’t good enough leaving Bidwell as our only left back - whilst he’s a solid left back - he isn’t a wing back.

we’ve been conceding poor goals all season and he’s persevering with the same plan that isn’t working.

Kane's been injured, and he's not the one running recruitment. If he's told someone's good enough and they're not, you can't pin that entirely on him (re: Palace lad). With what's left at the back, don't see much he can do selection wise other than switch to a back four, which is a gamble given how poor the CBs are playing.

fernandopartridge

I realise O’Hare maybhave skewed perceptions somewhat, but that’s not the main thing I look for in a number 10. Palmer can score and unlock defences and that’s more than Jamie Allen, who is O’Hare without the talent or ability to win the ball.

I don't see it, our game is reliant on that no 10 leading the press and covering a lot of ground. Palmer doesn't do either. Jury is firmly still out but I'm very unconvinced on what I saw at Hull.

fernandopartridge

For the first goal you've got Dabo's poor clearance but Rose is completely unaware of what's going on around him.

For the second we got caught completely square, if Fadz is going to go out to try and close a player down our other centre backs need to be trying to cover behind, they're all getting sucked to the ball.

Brighton Sky Blue

I suppose though that with a few exceptions the defending in this league is generally not great. Hull were porous, Millwall likewise, even Norwich really would have conceded a few against a team with their shooting boots on.

shmmeee

I don't see it, our game is reliant on that no 10 leading the press and covering a lot of ground. Palmer doesn't do either. Jury is firmly still out but I'm very unconvinced on what I saw at Hull.

Thats out game under O’Hare sure, cos he’s an exceptional presser. But it isn’t the only formation/game plan in football.

And if you’re putting Allen in for his running about then you’re ignoring the fact he never gets anywhere near the ball and has a fraction of the ability on the ball.

Palmer at least holds the ball, uses it well, and can beat a man, plus is competitive in the air. If it means we have to play without an AM doing DM work then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread