Match Thread ⚽️ Sheffield United vs Coventry City Match Thread - Monday 26th Dec (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

While Allen was racking up the appearances for Rochdale in League Two, Palmer was winning the Youth Champions League alongside Mount, Abraham and Tomori.

Comparing their number of career appearances is such a stupid way of trying to prove Allen is better than Palmer.
It's farcical to even try to claim Allen has anywhere near the ability of Palmer.

Grendel

While Allen was racking up the appearances for Rochdale in League Two, Palmer was winning the Youth Champions League alongside Mount, Abraham and Tomori.

Comparing their career appearances is such a stupid way of trying to prove Allen is better than Palmer.

min

Comparing their number of career appearances is such a stupid way of trying to prove Allen is better than Palmer.

Allen has started 134 league games since leaving Rochdale palmed in the same period 53 - mount wasn’t playing for Huddersfield was he as that’s where Palmer was

PVA

Allen has started 134 league games since leaving Rochdale palmed in the same period 53 - mount wasn’t playing for Huddersfield was he as that’s where Palmer was

It's absurd to use career appearances as a barometer.

Although if you insist...

Palmer is a year younger than Allen yet has more Championship and Premier league appearances than Allen. Why?

Do you think Michael Doyle was a better player than Steven Gerrard?

Grendel

It's farcical to even try to claim Allen has anywhere near the ability of Palmer.
There are plenty of examples of so called talented players who never become regulars in teams - plenty

when Jamie Allen was being handed a new contract palmers was literally offering to pay half his contract to just get rid of him

Brighton Sky Blue

palmer has started 70 league games in his career - Allen 253 - they are a similar age. Why?
There are plenty of examples of so called talented players who never become regulars in teams - plenty

when Jamie Allen was being handed a new contract palmers was literally offering to pay half his contract to just get rid of him
Point being? Both are here and both will probably still be here next season.

Grendel

Allen came through at Rochdale and has played most of his games at L1/L2 level.

He’s played for burton in the championship as well as is Didnt he?

baldy

Walker has done nothing in 18 months.

I don't actually think people think Taveres is 'good' but most agree he should be an option from the bench. We've been throwing on the likes of Walker and Waghorn off the bench for 2 seasons now and both have done literally nothing. Taveres has the one thing no one else has and that's pace. That's why there is a want for him to come off the bench.

Thank god the ‘most’ you refer to aren’t Mark Robins then

Grendel

It's absurd to use career appearances as a barometer.

Although if you insist...

Palmer is a year younger than Allen yet has more Championship and Premier league appearances than Allen. Why?

Do you think Michael Doyle was a better player than Steven Gerrard?

Palmer has more championship starts then Jamie Allen?

shmmeee

He’s played for burton in the championship as well as is Didnt he?

Allen is a year older and has about 50 fewer Championship appearances than Palmer. If you’re claiming number of appearances makes a player better, then by your metric Palmer is better.

PVA

Steve Claridge has over twice as many career appearances as (original) Ronaldo.

I can only imagine Grendel's bemusement and disgust as Ronaldo is considered the best striker of all time while poor old Steve never even gets a look in in that conversation 🙁

PUSB-We_are_going_up

This shouldnt even be a debate, its like comparing Biamou and Gyokeres. Palmer is by far and away the better player, Allen runs around a lot more yes but thats it. The only difference between the two debates is that fans had love for Biamou (me included) but Allen not so much

Grendel

Steve Claridge has over twice as many career appearances as (original) Ronaldo.

I can only imagine Grendel's bemusement and disgust as Ronaldo is considered the best striker of all time while poor old Steve never even gets a look in in that conversation 🙁

I didn’t know they were both in the same team and for the last 3 seasons in tbe same league as each other - genuinely wasn’t aware of that

Hertsccfc

Ah, the old Trump 'so called' phrase. He is talented without a doubt. The issue seems to be fitness.

Grendel

Allen is a year older and has about 50 fewer Championship appearances than Palmer. If you’re claiming number of appearances makes a player better, then by your metric Palmer is better.

I said starts?

PVA

I didn’t know they were both in the same team and for the last 3 seasons in tbe same league as each other - genuinely wasn’t aware of that

So context matters or not?

I thought appearances was the key metric?

Make your mind up, you're absolutely all over the shop with this argument.

stupot07

Again what point are you trying to prove?
To be fair to Grendel, he has a point. Regardless of his undoubted technical ability he has seemingly never been trusted by his managers to be only the first names on the team sheet and to build a team around. At 26 you have to ask yourself why.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

To be fair to Grendel, he has a point. Regardless of his undoubted technical ability he has seemingly never been trusted by his managers to be only the first names on the team sheet and to build a team around. At 26 you have to ask yourself why.

We had this with Vik, how someone plays for other managers is pretty irrelevant.

letsallsingtogether

More shameful incidents from our fans I hear really need to kick them out of our club.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t see the point he’s making or where it goes even if he’s right.

Grendel

I don’t see the point he’s making or where it goes even if he’s right.

I don’t actually think the point is that difficult to comprehend

He has some sublime skills, can show some physicality when required, has some end product and clearly dedication - but is at 26 a free transfer player whose selling club ripped up his contract and it seems only us and Cardiff came calling

At 26 he should at the very least if he’s that good be doing a lot better than sitting on a bench beside Liam Kelly

Grendel

Blackpool was it when most of the team were unwell and O'Hare set up Palmer to score? I think Allen ran around a lot.

and palmer was withdrawn after 70 minutes

NorthernWisdom

I don’t actually think the point is that difficult to comprehend

He has some sublime skills, can show some physicality when required, has some end product and clearly dedication - but is at 26 a free transfer player whose selling club ripped up his contract and it seems only us and Cardiff came calling

At 26 he should at the very least if he’s that good be doing a lot better than sitting on a bench beside Liam Kelly
It is an odd one because it's not as if he's our usual luxury player, who wonders around in a disinterested way - he does actually try during a game.

But seems unable to run a few games together productively, wherever he goes!

Maybe we need to convince him to run around a bit less? Let the others do that, and let him actually pass the ball.

Sick Boy

Guys, Tavares signed a new deal in the summer til 2025 so whether you like it or not, MR has seen something in him.

And to my untrained eye yesterday he at least made runs off the ball, created space with his movement and demanded the ball. He was also the only player to actually run at them other that Gyokeres.
To be fair, it wasn’t long ago that you describing Kelly as the first name on the teamsheet.

Hertsccfc

It is an odd one because it's not as if he's our usual luxury player, who wonders around in a disinterested way - he does actually try during a game.

But seems unable to run a few games together productively, wherever he goes!

Maybe we need to convince him to run around a bit less? Let the others do that, and let him actually pass the ball.
Absolutely. The problem is we seem to be requiring him to play like Allen and O'Hare. He's doing that but it means we aren't getting the best out of him.

Hertsccfc

I like Walker but his scoring record at this level isn't good. He has not proved himself in the Championship yet.
Just looked up Walker's scoring record and it is much worse than I thought. He has 14 Championship goals in 100 appearances. To think people wanted to drop Gyokeres and Godden for him last season when he scored in two games.

I do think he is potentially a Championship player but his record is much worse than I realised.

covboy9

Was always gonna be tough after a midweek game vs fresh and 2nd best side in division

Bidwell all over the place last two games

Wilson badly at fault for 2nd goal. We miss fadz leadership and organisation in these situations

Vik that was a shite pen

fernandopartridge

Just looked up Walker's scoring record and it is much worse than I thought. He has 14 Championship goals in 100 appearances. To think people wanted to drop Gyokeres and Godden for him last season when he scored in two games.

I do think he is potentially a Championship player but his record is much worse than I realised.
Most of that 100 were sub appearances for Forest as youngster, his record for us which is far more relevant is not anywhere near as bad as that (most of the 14 were for CCFC)

stupot07

Most of that 100 were sub appearances for Forest as youngster, his record for us which is far more relevant is not anywhere near as bad as that (most of the 14 were for CCFC)
11 in 64 for us but when you consider he's only played 2,820 mins thats a goal every 250 minutes which is a 12-15 goal a season striker

PVA

Walker is a waste of a wage at the moment.

We play with one striker. The 4th choice striker is only going to get 5 or 10 mins here and there. May as well be Tavares on a relevance pittance and use Walker's more significant wage where it would be more useful eg CB.

That doesn't mean Tavares is a better player than Walker, it's just using budgets sensibly and we can't afford to have 5 strikers when we only play with 1.

If he weren't injured then Robins I'm sure would be happy to let him go in January.

Users who are viewing this thread