8th Biggest Budget (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Why do you think that is?
Could be any number of reasons, first choice football, contract length, wages, travelling time, may have friends at the club, who he believes has a better chance of promotion with, style of football.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

The other issue of the assumption that we have they 8th best budget is, even if true we have no idea what the difference is between 8th and 1st. It could be as my b as £1m+ and as little as 8p.

Mucca Mad Boys

The other issue of the assumption that we have they 8th best budget is, even if true we have no idea what the difference is between 8th and 1st. It could be as my b as £1m+ and as little as 8p.

I also don’t get why people are so keen to conflate league position with budget.

Accrington and Wycombe are in the top 3, I’d be very surprised if either were in top 8 budget wise. They’re just well run clubs who have consolidated squads. Pretty sure Wycombe didn’t do that well last season too.

There’s a reason relegated teams struggle to get out of L2 at the first time of asking. I think we’ll become better as a result of this season. After all, even if we make the playoffs, we still have to win them.

We’ve been without Jones for 13 games now, and he’s still been involved in 30% of our goals (11/36). No one can say we haven’t missed him. Even without him, I’d say playoffs is realistic, but we lost one of our best goal scorers and creators for the season after 19 games.

Captain Dart

I also don’t get why people are so keen to conflate league position with budget.

There is a clear statistical link between league position and budget.

Nick

Administrator

Ironically, people who have started going on about budget, playing kids etc seem to have no idea about what happens on the pitch and probably couldn't name players if they tried to. Yet seem to become experts about how it is all down to budget for our results.

skybluetony176

That’s a good point. Could be the same in the other direction too. The difference between 8th highest and 16th highest for instance could be negligible, could be millions.

Mucca Mad Boys

Depends on the league. In the Premiership, absolutely. Even then there’s anomalies, look at Burnley and Bournemouth.

League 1 is currently topped by Shrewsbury and Accrington and Wycombe occupy 2/3 places in the autos in our league. I expect our budget to be up there with the top 3, but we know Swindon, Mansfield, Lincoln and so on are also punching below their weight.

Throwing money around doesn’t always get you to where you want be. Luton spent c. 300k on Collins, we got McNulty on a free... you’d expect Collins to have more goals, wrong. Less goals spread over less games.

It’s how you utilise your budget. I think we’ve done very well considering injuries and the short period of time we’ve had to put this squad of players together.

Last edited:

Grendel

fernandopartridge

Ironically, people who have started going on about budget, playing kids etc seem to have no idea about what happens on the pitch and probably couldn't name players if they tried to. Yet seem to become experts about how it is all down to budget for our results.

Indeed, Dart has come to life again now there has been a bit of a downturn in form.

Captain Dart

Depends on the league. In the Premiership, absolutely. Even then there’s anomalies, look at Burnley and Bournemouth.
I agree, have you read Chris Andersons book, The Numbers Game, he analyses this very point amongst others.

Mucca Mad Boys

Top Scorers - League Two - Football - BBC Sport

Collins has 2 more goals and averages a goal every 154 mins. McNulty is a goal every 172 mins.

Collins also has 7 assists to McNulty's 1

Fair enough, in the last 2 games he’s scored 3 so that got past me. McNulty has still scored in more games (14) and Collins is on (13), that is just after his recent flurry.

The pertinent point is, one cost about 300k, the other was a free agent with similar stats. So, in terms of best value, McNulty is clearly a better signing for us, at the very least, a shrewder signing. So in the wider context of this thread, just because you’re spending money or inflated wages, doesn’t guarantee you’ve got a good player. We spent £1.25m on Eastwood...

Nick

Administrator
Fair enough, in the last 2 games he’s scored 3 so that got past me. McNulty has still scored in more games (14) and Collins is on (13), that is just after his recent flurry.

The pertinent point is, one cost about 300k, the other was a free agent with similar stats. So, in terms of best value, McNulty is clearly a better signing for us, at the very least, a shrewder signing. So in the wider context of this thread, just because you’re spending money or inflated wages, doesn’t guarantee you’ve got a good player. We spent £1.25m on Eastwood...

Also taking into consideration that Luton will create many more chances, he will get a lot more service and not need to pull them out like a Magician. How many of his will be tap ins put on a plate for him?

Adge

David Bell £500,000 :banghead:

shmmeee

What?

1) That’s not irony

2) What’s that got to do with the point made?

3) What?

We spoke at length before about the research that showed budget was the biggest factor in league position and how managers have little effect. Even if you don’t believe it, bit random to start ranting on about people that don’t go to games.

Captain Dart

What?

1) That’s not irony

3) What?

We spoke at length before about the research that showed budget was the biggest factor in league position and how managers have little effect. Even if you don’t believe it, bit random to start ranting on about people that don’t go to games.

Let him adopt his stance of super fan superiority, I don't 'effing care what he thinks.

Nick

Administrator
Because you will see that people will start blaming the budget for us losing games when they haven't seen the game, wouldn't have a clue who our players are anyway.

I don't doubt teams like Luton will have bigger budgets and they have spent it well as they are pretty much promoted.

It doesn't explain how teams with lower budgets out play teams with bigger budgets with better organisation, determination, a system that suits the players etc though.

People are trying to use an off the cuff remark about being a top 8 budget as a reason for us being 9th, yet they couldn't tell you what happened last game.

That's my point about it, there was no talk of budget a few weeks ago was there?

Grendel

What?

1) That’s not irony

3) What?

Budget isn’t a factor at all

stupot07

Top Scorers - League Two - Football - BBC Sport

Collins has 2 more goals and averages a goal every 154 mins. McNulty is a goal every 172 mins.

Collins also has 7 assists to McNulty's 1
Collins plays in a team that has scored x2 as many goals as us. They play attacking football and create a shed load of clear cut chances a game, we don't. That makes McNulty's tally even more impressive.

ccfcway

Collins plays in a team that has scored x2 as many goals as us. They play attacking football and create a shed load of clear cut chances a game, we don't. That makes McNulty's tally even more impressive.

so where does that leave Biamou ?

Mucca Mad Boys

Or we set up to actually attack teams and get decent balls into the box for the strikers?

I think Robins probably buys into this ‘winning the battle’ a bit too much. I could be wrong, but whenever we’ve scored early in the first half, we’ve never lost, I can’t remember us drawing in that position either.

‘Winning the battle’ against teams the top half teams has generally worked, bad Accrington. But, it’s our record against FGR, Morcombe, Yeovil etc. is terrible. If you get early goals against these, you’re getting 2-3 goals against them.

I want to see JCH get quality time up front with McNulty because he’s shown glimpses that he’s a threat. We’ve relied too much on Jones, McNulty and Nazon for our goals this year.

Users who are viewing this thread