Abuse of players by fans (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueScottie

There was a chap talking about this on 5Live or Talksport yesterday. No idea who it was just caught a bit of it in the car.

He reckons the problem is the people around the players. He said as a general rule of thumb black players have an entourage around them who are in it for what they can get. Basically people who befriend the player and enjoy spending his money in clubs and expensive shops. Then at the end of his career they disappear and the player is left with nothing or at least far less than he should have.

That was compared to white players who generally have a team of professionals around them, PR advisors, financial advisors etc, who keep everything closely monitored and brief their client on their behaviour and what they should / shouldn't say in public but also have contacts in the media to get things reported the way they want.

They used the same example of Foden and said that story would have been placed with 'friendly' media so they got the story they wanted rather than just chancing it.
That's an erm "interesting" perception that person has of black players and their "Entourage"

lifeskyblue

For me the racist element in the sterling case is irrelevant. Whether the fan had called him ‘a f**king black c**t’ or just ‘a f**king c**t’ it is offensive and should in itself be worthy of punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

For me the racist element in the sterling case is irrelevant. Whether the fan had called him ‘a f**king black c**t’ or just ‘a f**king c**t’ it is offensive and should in itself be worthy of punishment.

I think I agree with what you're saying, although I don't think the racism bit is irrelevant. Completely agree that this level of abuse no matter if it's race orientated, just because he plays for the opposition or whatever is completely wrong and deserves punishment. Unfortunately far too many, and I have absolutely no idea why, adults can't control themselves at football matches and behave in this way. Add in racism and it becomes even worse. How do people get this angry at a football match? I'd find it so tiring and never want to go again if this is how it made me behave.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I will have a look at the video later but it sounds from reports as if the guy in the crowd did indeed shout racist abuse at Sterling. I've grown up with a deaf sister which has meant I'm probably stronger than most when it comes to the art of lip reading, so I'm interested to give this a look later.

I don't know why someone thinks it's acceptable to firstly shout something of that nature, and secondly think they are going to get away with it.

I think Sterling has actually dealt with it quite well, so kudos there. The fact he earns X amount shouldn't make a difference, there is no place for this behaviour in society.

I do however think that some are trying to use this as an excuse to silence any genuine criticism of him as well though. He has consistently underperformed for England and I really hate watching him play for us. Just because this frustration from an obviously very talented footballer gets voiced, this incident doesn't suddenly mean that all of that (pretty deserved) criticism is racist.

Equally, picking up on people moaning when Ogogo gives away a penalty doesn't make what they said racist. I'd certainly expect Grimmer would get just as much stick if it was him for example.

Hopefully this bloke (if guilty) gets a ban and an example made out of him. Fortunately I've almost never encountered any racist abuse by other fans at a game and I do believe times are slowly changing in that sense. Like the fully grown adults that were doing this, it was also older blokes being the ones running on the pitch at Cheltenham if I remember.

They need to fucking grow up.

hill83

The only thing I’d say here is I genuinely wouldn’t care at all if someone called me a fucking c**t. At all. Fill your boots.

Not that I’ve ever been called a black c**t anyway, that would be absurd as I clearly don’t even looked that mixed race. Got called a paki at few times when I was a primary school though which was nice.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The only thing I’d say here is I genuinely wouldn’t care at all if someone called me a fucking c**t. At all. Fill your boots.

Not that I’ve ever been called a black c**t anyway, that would be absurd as I clearly don’t even looked that mixed race. Got called a paki a few times when I was a primary school though which was nice.

Fucking c**t.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

John Barnes was saying yesterday, clubs have clamped down and on the whole fans have behaved, but it's merely just a case of switching off for 90 mins.

Like he says, you have to change the general perception of people.

Fans keeping schtum for an hour and a half isn't really doing anything much in terms of fighting racism.The racists are still racists.

Obviously, as with the case of the last week show, some just can't keep their mouths shut and we see their true colours during the game.

Racism is completely nuts. People are people and everyone is an individual.

It's a dumb concept.

Agree with you. There are elements that have just learnt to keep quiet but have an ingrained racist attitude. Sadly, I think those people won't ever see things differently no matter what evidence or penalties you put in front of them. The saddest thing is that many of them will have families and behind close doors these attitudes will be passed onto their kids.

I think these kind of people have been emboldened recently by the likes of Trump etc being pretty much openly racist, and Brexit as well has seen some look on it as a green light to hate foreigners.

But I honestly believe things have improved from a few decades ago and will continue to do so as long as people of all different races/beliefs etc are brought together in society. It's not something that will ever be eradicated completely sadly but it can definitely continue to be marginalised and reduced. The increase in far right parties in recent years is worrying, though there are issues with the far left as well.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Agree with you. There are elements that have just learnt to keep quiet but have an ingrained racist attitude. Sadly, I think those people won't ever see things differently no matter what evidence or penalties you put in front of them. The saddest thing is that many of them will have families and behind close doors these attitudes will be passed onto their kids.

I think these kind of people have been emboldened recently by the likes of Trump etc being pretty much openly racist, and Brexit as well has seen some look on it as a green light to hate foreigners.

But I honestly believe things have improved from a few decades ago and will continue to do so as long as people of all different races/beliefs etc are brought together in society. It's not something that will ever be eradicated completely sadly but it can definitely continue to be marginalised and reduced. The increase in far right parties in recent years is worrying, though there are issues with the far left as well.

I experienced that language (of what I remember and am old enough to recognise) at football games several times at Highfield Road, early 00s and it was coming frequently from the same culprits each week. Uriah Rennie and Stern John stick out a lot because they used to cop a lot of it and I was of age to know what fans were saying: lazy black b*stard, d*rky, co*n, w*g, n*g n*g etc.

We were in an area with mostly season ticket holders and it was only an issue to stewards or the club when non-season ticket holders would take up the ticket for cup/non purchase and complained about it. An old woman was responsible for a chunk of it and after 2/3 seasons got a letter from the club saying they’d had complaints and take this as a warning.

In the modern day, there’s no way someone would get away with shouting abuse like that at a game, without being challenged/ reprimanded/banned for life...and well....good. When the above did happen on a regular basis, nobody sat around challenged them, it was like it was accepted.

Ironically, when I was 9, I was reported to a steward by the old man in front of me, for alledgedly knocking his chair throughout the game. So to this old man, a 9 year old, alledgedly tapping against his chair through the game was more of a crime than shouting black b*stard throughout a match?

I can honestly say that I haven’t seen or heard anything like that in the last 13/14 years of following CCFC. I hope the Chelsea fan gets what he deserves.

letsallsingtogether

Not that I’ve ever been called a black c**t anyway, that would be absurd as I clearly don’t even looked that mixed race. Got called a paki at few times when I was a primary school though which was nice.
Been called a Paki too myself a few times.

ccfctommy

Heard a bloke at HR called Yakabu a Zulu. He was at Portsmouth at the time. He was with two kids one of whom was black!

First game back at the Ricoh, this old dickhead behind me kept calling Frank Nouble something like Mbongo. Did my head in.

rob9872

Heard a bloke at HR called Yakabu a Zulu. He was at Portsmouth at the time. He was with two kids one of whom was black!
Reminds me of a guy at work who has a black wife and mixed race kids - one of the most racist people I've met about the number of mainly Indian, but other Asian workers we have here. It's almost as if he thinks it somehow gives him a free pass and special privileges, wearing it like a badge.
I've even heard people excuse him for his views on the basis of his family like it somehow makes it ok!

Users who are viewing this thread