Abuse of players by fans (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

I see Eni Eluko has weighed into this having a go at Morgan (a person I don’t like) on Twitter but she is a vulgar little character and like Dianne Abbot only adds to the problems.

hill83

I see Eni Eluko has weighed into this having a go at Morgan (a person I don’t like) on Twitter but she is a vulgar little character and like Dianne Abbot only adds to the problems.

Adds to the problems by speaking out against things that have actually happened to them? How fucking dare they.

Anyone receiving any sort of abuse should speak out against it no matter what.

Terry Gibson's perm

Adds to the problems by speaking out against things that have actually happened to them? How fucking dare they.

She adds to the problem by the language she uses she is publicity hungry, I think Steeling has handled this really well he could have easily jumped into the crowd. I don’t get why people dislike him so much he makes mistakes just like any other young person of any colour or race but seems to get more stick even more than other black players.

People like Aluko and Abbott add to the divide and seem to thrive on it.

hill83

She adds to the problem by the language she uses she is publicity hungry, I think Steeling has handled this really well he could have easily jumped into the crowd. I don’t get why people dislike him so much he makes mistakes just like any other young person of any colour or race but seems to get more stick even more than other black players.

People like Aluko and Abbott add to the divide and seem to thrive on it.

To be fair, Aluko is speaking out against Piers Morgan ffs. Publicity hungry indeed.

chiefdave

Why is Foden a Saint for buying his parents a house and Sterling a greedy show off for buying his mum a house? What's the difference between Foden and Sterling?
There was a chap talking about this on 5Live or Talksport yesterday. No idea who it was just caught a bit of it in the car.

He reckons the problem is the people around the players. He said as a general rule of thumb black players have an entourage around them who are in it for what they can get. Basically people who befriend the player and enjoy spending his money in clubs and expensive shops. Then at the end of his career they disappear and the player is left with nothing or at least far less than he should have.

That was compared to white players who generally have a team of professionals around them, PR advisors, financial advisors etc, who keep everything closely monitored and brief their client on their behaviour and what they should / shouldn't say in public but also have contacts in the media to get things reported the way they want.

They used the same example of Foden and said that story would have been placed with 'friendly' media so they got the story they wanted rather than just chancing it.

rob9872

The abuse Sterling put up with on Saturday is disgusting and he (or anyone else) shouldn't have to put up with that. I can't believe some of the arguments on here, it's clear to me what was said, it's disgusting and they need lengthy bans.

Sterling imo is consistently harshly treated by the media. Not sure what the issue is and it could be race, but I also suspect it's being ex-Liverpool and media bias from that too as he's been an easy target ever since his move. The media like to have someone to regularly have a pop at and before him it was Rooney, who lets face it is a poor human being, but was a great prospect that they seemed hell-bent on destroying. Bizarre against our best player and with Sterlings increase in return over the past 12 month I'd level the same importance of him now.

Where I disagreed was over those DM articles written by different journalists and nine months apart. In isolation they could be perceived as racist, but I don't believe that's the case with those and if anything dilutes the importance of what happened on Saturday. It was an opportunity for a platform but I don't think helped him and we should be concentrating on the Neanderthals hurling the abuse and ensuring swift and lengthy justice takes place.

hill83

There was a chap talking about this on 5Live or Talksport yesterday. No idea who it was just caught a bit of it in the car.

He reckons the problem is the people around the players. He said as a general rule of thumb black players have an entourage around them who are in it for what they can get. Basically people who befriend the player and enjoy spending his money in clubs and expensive shops. Then at the end of his career they disappear and the player is left with nothing or at least far less than he should have.

That was compared to white players who generally have a team of professionals around them, PR advisors, financial advisors etc, who keep everything closely monitored and brief their client on their behaviour and what they should / shouldn't say in public but also have contacts in the media to get things reported the way they want.

They used the same example of Foden and said that story would have been placed with 'friendly' media so they got the story they wanted rather than just chancing it.
My cousins son (second cousin?) is a relatively high profile dutch player who now plays in Italy and he's got a huge team of PR people etc. Running his Instagram, twitter and all that lark.
It's definitely needed.

Nick

Administrator
My cousins son (second cousin?) is a relatively high profile dutch player who now plays in Italy and he's got a huge team of PR people etc. Running his Instagram, twitter and all that lark.
It's definitely needed.

Go on then.....Who is it?

rob9872

Justin Kluivert.
I think you may have mentioned his dad first :) He'd definitely have been well schooled long before he made the first team.

rob9872

So Patrick got with your mum's niece?
To be fair if I was Patrick Kluivert I'd have dipped it in half of Newcastle!

Nick

Administrator
Dads side. Anyway, not on topic. Sorry.

Give him a ring, ask what he is doing over the winter period if they dont play in Italy and if he wants a kickaround in League 1.

Bakayoko lived in Holland, he can be his mate. Sorted.

oucho

They create a negative image of him. I don’t know anything about him but the perception is of a greedy figure - yet he’s no different than any other play.

Cashley Cole was another constantly receiving negative press. Cole was always one of the first at his clubs to volunteer for charity and community work and yet he was again tarnished with a negative image

As a contrast the greedy, grasping Beckham was given sainthood status

Thanks for a reasoned explanation unlike some of the half baked comments on here. I agree with this analysis although I would still say it falls far short of racism. The media had done the drip drip drip thing on his character but they've done the same with many others e.g. Heather Mills, Darren Day, Trump etc. It's a valid enough point and he doesn't need to claim racism on top of it. As far as I can see it isn't motivated by his skin colour.

clint van damme

Thanks for a reasoned explanation unlike some of the half baked comments on here. I agree with this analysis although I would still say it falls far short of racism. The media had done the drip drip drip thing on his character but they've done the same with many others e.g. Heather Mills, Darren Day, Trump etc. It's a valid enough point and he doesn't need to claim racism on top of it. As far as I can see it isn't motivated by his skin colour.

just because the press carry out a character assassination on someone who is white doesn't mean their character assassination of someone who is black isn't racist.

Look at that pond life kelvin mckenzies article about Ross Barclay for a prime example, it was a racist piece of filth.
And Sterlings point was more that they feed racism. There have been several examples of irresponsible reporting from the press leading to violence or threats of violence and racism.

oucho

just because the press carry out a character assassination on someone who is white doesn't mean their character assassination of someone who is black isn't racist.

It doesn't mean it is, either. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending anyone... just saying I can't see much wrong with what has been said about him. I have moaned about him during England gamds in the past when he didn't play well or when he didn't appear to care about the cause. He has been a frustrating player as his country form rarely matched his club form.

Yes plenty of fans made the same comments as me, but it was far from uniformly applied to black players, so can hardly be called racist.

clint van damme

It doesn't mean it is, either. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending anyone... just saying I can't see much wrong with what has been said about him. I have moaned about him during England gamds in the past when he didn't play well or when he didn't appear to care about the cause. He has been a frustrating player as his country form rarely matched his club form.

Yes plenty of fans made the same comments as me, but it was far from uniformly applied to black players, so can hardly be called racist.

you criticising him for his performances isn't racist, (unless you threw in a derogatory comment about his colour which I know you didn't).
It's more the comments about his life style and the insinuations about him as a person. It's not just him though, they've done it to others, it's the underrepresentation of black players in managerial roles and in the media as well.

tisza

Seems like this particular Chelsea fan is a relic from bad old days at Chelsea. Be about the right age.
Remember us getting beat 6-2 there early 80s and they had a talented young black kid called Keith Jones in midfield. Was getting booed by a sizeable section of Chelsea fans in the stand to our left every time he touched the ball. Even booed him when he scored. He looked absolutely miserable
Maybe progress isn't enough but racism around football has improved considerably from the 70s and 80s. Back then was a lot more obvious and was a common sight to see the National Front openly selling their newspaper outside many grounds.
Did used to be a football fan theory the further north you went the more blatent the racism used to be.
In purely football terms all sides have had large numbers of black players and most supporters don't care about the player colour just the shirt colour. Maybe the problem is most stop thinking about it once they leave the ground.

Otis

Seems like this particular Chelsea fan is a relic from bad old days at Chelsea. Be about the right age.
Remember us getting beat 6-2 there early 80s and they had a talented young black kid called Keith Jones in midfield. Was getting booed by a sizeable section of Chelsea fans in the stand to our left every time he touched the ball. Even booed him when he scored. He looked absolutely miserable
Maybe progress isn't enough but racism around football has improved considerably from the 70s and 80s. Back then was a lot more obvious and was a common sight to see the National Front openly selling their newspaper outside many grounds.
Did used to be a football fan theory the further north you went the more blatent the racism used to be.
In purely football terms all sides have had large numbers of black players and most supporters don't care about the player colour just the shirt colour. Maybe the problem is most stop thinking about it once they leave the ground.
John Barnes was saying yesterday, clubs have clamped down and on the whole fans have behaved, but it's merely just a case of switching off for 90 mins.

Like he says, you have to change the general perception of people.

Fans keeping schtum for an hour and a half isn't really doing anything much in terms of fighting racism.The racists are still racists.

Obviously, as with the case of the last week show, some just can't keep their mouths shut and we see their true colours during the game.

Racism is completely nuts. People are people and everyone is an individual.

It's a dumb concept.

Otis

And talking of perceptions, Trevor Phillips, the black writer, broadcaster and former politician, apparently turned up for a big business meeting somewhere, reported at reception and was asked 'Who have you come to pick up?'

oucho

Nick

Administrator
Saw earlier the bloke from the picture has lost his job, had his season ticket taken away and claims he was calling him a Manc c*nt.

Bit random, Sterling is from London isn't he?

Not too sure what people expect nowadays with social media, you act like a twat like that on the front row of a game that is broadcast to millions across the world it is going to be on social media within seconds.

Otis

Saw earlier the bloke from the picture has lost his job, had his season ticket taken away and claims he was calling him a Manc c*nt.

Not too sure what people expect nowadays with social media, you act like a twat like that on the front row of a game that is broadcast to millions across the world it is going to be on social media within seconds.
Yup. It acts like a CCTV these days too.

I'm not a big fan of social media, but if it helps root out people like this that can only be a good thing

Otis

I'm sure any speech and language expert will be easily able to identify the difference between this guy shouting 'black' and 'Manc'.

When I was looking at the footage I think I was watching the wrong bloke. Ha! I had my eyes on the middle too of the 4 and not the bloke on the end.

clint van damme

Not comfortable worth the bloke losing his job over this as much as he seems a right horrible tosser.

Otis

Not comfortable worth the bloke losing his job over this as much as he seems a right horrible tosser.
No, true.

Banned from Chelsea games I think would be more than sufficient.

A lot of firms do react to stuff that has been said by employees and appeared in social media though. Can only guess his employer doesn't want to be associated with employees like that, but yeah, rather harsh.

clint van damme

No, true.

Banned from Chelsea games I think would be more than sufficient.

A lot of firms do react to stuff that has been said by employees and appeared in social media though. Can only guess his employer doesn't want to be associated with employees like that, but yeah, rather harsh.
Thing is, they can't have conducted a proper investigation into what happened.
I've seen people get investigated at work and the are suspended to start with and a thorough I investigation conducted. The process could take a couple of weeks.

Otis

Thing is, they can't have conducted a proper investigation into what happened.
I've seen people get investigated at work and the are suspended to start with and a thorough I investigation conducted. The process could take a couple of weeks.
Yes, very true. Suspended pending further investigation would be the way to go for sure.

A straight sacking is very severe.

If it is found that was said wasn't in fact racist, what then?

clint van damme

Yes, very true. Suspended pending further investigation would be the way to go for sure.

A straight sacking is very severe.

If it is found that was said wasn't in fact racist, what then?

Any idea where it was he worked?

Users who are viewing this thread