after being a Coventry fan my whole life (1 Viewer)

Marty

Sky Sports has alot to answer for, they jump on every bandwagon going, showing the weak willed and simple minded that they are 'ok' to do the same. Your not a real fan, a real goes up at every chance they get, supporting to the end, i will openly criticize them on here and to my cov fan mates, but i will defend them every step off the way to non cov supporters, the club is better off without people like you, I will support this club at every level until we go bust, then i will support the replacement (AFC Coventry??).

At least now you can wank yourself into a frenzy watching Chelsea on sky sports every week, your just the modern day football fan I like to call a 'sky boy'.

kg82

I know this is a WUM but it would be lovely if you were at least one of the 3 blokes that sits behind me!

Clingan isn't good enough apparently and the whole team are shit! Your epitomal clueless threesome with too much to say on something they know little about.

This could be a wind up to be honest.

But I will say that no Man U fan could have enjoyed any success they've had as much as I enjoyed beating them at Old Trafford a few years back. Supporting a club like that must lose its passion very quickly.

He's taking the piss, I'd guess.

Anyone that can have a soft spot for a c**t factory like Chelsea needs to give their a head a wobble. Their average attendance in first season of the Premier League (when football began of course) in 1993? 18,000. Says it all really.

As for me, I've never lived in Coventry myself, but I'll support them till my dying day. They may continue to break my heart, but that's the way it is. PUSB.

I heard they had an attendance of around 5,000 at home to us in the mid-90s.

Ernie Machin

This could be a wind up to be honest.

But I will say that no Man U fan could have enjoyed any success they've had as much as I enjoyed beating them at Old Trafford a few years back. Supporting a club like that must lose its passion very quickly.

To be honest, I know a lot of real United fans (from Manchester) and they're really passionate about the club, follow them all over Europe. Not the prawn sarnie dickheads, I mean the true support that followed them in the 70's and 80's when they won very little. The point is, your team is your team.The problem now is the top teams are pretty stable in their success, because of the massive wealth gap. That means they will attract the casual fan who don't understand the nature of what it is to support a football club.

I remember going to a Cov away game circa 1987/88, Nottingham Forest I believe. We got beat 4-1 and it was a miserable dark day - I would still rather have that experience than sitting in the Camp Nou on a sunny day pretending I have an emotional attachment to Barcelona. Masochist? Undoubtedly.

ccfcrob

i was born in aylesbury used to go and watch them , i went to secondary school in Wycombe, went to watch them however always travelled up the m40 eery other week to use my season ticket and highfield road and the Ricoh NO EXCUSES

I remember going to a Cov away game circa 1987/88, Nottingham Forest I believe. We got beat 4-1 and it was a miserable dark day - I would still rather have that experience than sitting in the Camp Nou on a sunny day pretending I have an emotional attachment to Barcelona.

Are you sure? :D

Point taken about United. Maybe it's fairer to say that we enjoyed it as much as their hardcore enjoy seeing them lift a european cup??

Ernie Machin

Hankey is now the Tim Lovejoy of this forum.

No, not a self publicising twat. Just someone who decided to support Chelsea instead of his original team (Watford).

It's why I hated Man U with a passion as a kid. Growing up in the 90's surrounded by glory-supporters at school.

Sky Blue Sheepy

This must make me mad then!
My dad's supported United for the last 50 years so I quite liked them, had a few shirts etc. Took me to my first game on my 14th Birthday - penultimate game vs Highfield Road - 2-2 against Wolves and fell in love with Coventry City FC ever since.

Astute

I have older kids as well as two toddlers. The eldest lad was born in Glasgow. He is a Motherwell season ticket holder. The next eldest lad was born in Lincolnshire. He is a Grimsby town season ticket holder. Saying that, the most enjoyable game they have both ever been to other than cup finals was at HR. It was on the same day as the tsunami on boxing day. I drove to lincolnshire to pick up first lad, then to Glasgow to pick up other lad. Snow covered M6 all the way from the English border with cars sliding off all over. Got to HR with 10 mins to spare. Played WBA. They loved the atmosphere being in the west stand behind the goal and near the WBA fans. We got winner near the end. They both started singing their hearts out in the second half. They love going to see Cov play, but would never have us as their team. They have their own teams close to their hearts, even if they are not that good.

My youngest lad, nearly 2 years old, is hopefully going to have Cov as his team. His initials are CCFC so at least I have a start with him. If he prefers his local team like 2 of his elder brothers then so be it. Would be nice to have one of my lads to go to games with though. Will be taking him to his first game in the next year or so. Loves football already so should be OK to take him so young

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
My son once announced that if we got relegated he would support Chelsea (we were that season) to which I asked when he was leaving home ....... he is now 14 and proud to have a CCFC season ticket (has been for years), loves his match days........ think they call it tough love :D - sometimes you have just got to be tough to bring your kids up right:whistle:

If you are a fan of a team you are through thick and thin..... its in your blood

covkid69

i've got a bit of a soft spot for barcelona having been to the nou camp to watch them beat bayern munich 4-1 but my one and only true love is ccfc.
i can quite honestly say that i would not and could not ever support any other club no matter how crap we are or how low we fall.
being a sky blues fan is all about never winning much apart from in 87' and relegation scraps galore but for me it's been a bloody roller coaster 44 years and i've loved every minute of it.
i remember my first proper girlfriend and the first time i ever ventured into certain private places...oooh yeah that was good but never as good as my first game at highfield road :D:D

ccfc always and forever

Moff

My son once announced that if we got relegated he would support Chelsea (we were that season) to which I asked when he was leaving home ....... he is now 14 and proud to have a CCFC season ticket (has been for years), loves his match days........ think they call it tough love :D - sometimes you have just got to be tough to bring your kids up right:whistle:

If you are a fan of a team you are through thick and thin..... its in your blood

I like it OSB. Tough love is the best way!

My kids are 10 and 5. They may cheek me on many things, but they know not to on football.
They can support one team and one team only, no choice, no arguments, and they are both proud Sky Blues, although my eldest is now begining to realise his team might bring him more than a few moments and pain and despair ;)

Disorganised1

My kids are all Sky Blue (though one of them has married a Leicester supporter)

I hate Chelsea - cheating scum.

Pigeon

As someone who is only 18 I don't really remember any of the 'glory days' with Coventry City. Majority of memories I have with this football club have been us in the Championship struggling to stay mid table yet this is my club, it's where I'm from and I can't change that. People may look at other clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd etc and think "God I wish I supported them" but there fans think there are problems at those clubs, listen to talksport and you'll hear Arsenal fans moaning and groaning because they care about their club and worried about them not reaching their goals. If your fickle enough to change who you support and not realize that fans aren't happy without process or because times are tough then you obviously no nothing about football and how being a true fan works.

Gaz

Words fail me, they really do.

I'm city till I die.

Astute

As someone who is only 18 I don't really remember any of the 'glory days' with Coventry City

If you call glory days a relegation battle every year then yes they were :laugh: We were amongst the favourites nearly every year to go down. Upset the odds a few seasons when we looked down just to put a winning run together. Had some good wins over the years. At least we had the big clubs to play each season and only three teams had been in top flight longer than us when we went down, and one of them, Liverpool, had not been up there much longer than us.

Astute

Ha ha I can't decide whether this is cruel or not. Either way I love it! :D

He got a mention with his full name in a match program two seasons ago, think it was Dec/Jan time. Caused a big row in the house. Wife thought it was OK for him to have initials CFC for Coventry Football Club. Son in law was agreeing with her. He was born in London and supports Chelsea and found it hilarious :facepalm: Managed to talk her round to two middle names in the end.

Regis87

I get it :
10yrs old , mum and dad moved to London , all the other kids in school support London clubs and Man Utd , getting picked on for having a weird " Brummie " accent and supporting a " up north " championship club .
Your just trying to fit in aren't you little un

Last edited:

sky_blue_up_north

Bottom line he is not a Sky Blue fan, or from Coventry you just cannot give up like that. I moved to Cheshire over 10 years ago, worked in Manchester for a bit. Got all sorts of stick from the Mancs, all good natured to be fair. But I can reminded them of one night, and a 2-0 win.... that is what is all about for clubs like ours, yes its crap most of the time, but then out of the blue something amazing happens. Trust me it will again one day, I really believe that. I'm a Cov kid, proud to be so, City are my team, and always will be no matter what.

Johnnythespider

Mr Hankey the christmas poo
we could'nt give a shit, so f**k off to you.
I quite like chelsea dagger though.

Hankey111

yes i get what your saying glory supporter and all - i was fully aware that, that would be the reaction but Coventry just don't play good football and haven't for ages... I love FOOTBALL!

Otis

Ahh that's what being a football supporter is all about. All the time I thought it was about it being your the team and it being your club and then supporting them through thick and thin, when in reality it's all about whether a team plays decent football or not!!!

It's like buying a new car. "I wonder what colour I'll have this time!"

Wallace

I feel sorry for youngsters as they have very little loyalty because friendship is so important. Support Cov and you have a few friends but support Chelsea and you have many, I suppose?
Fo me supporting a team is like a Catholic Marriage. There's no divorce and no way out.

FFS if you want to feel like you support a BIG team. Put on your CCFC scarf and turn on to Man City. Turn down the volume but just watch the sky blues play as well as Barca. I live in London and wear my scarf. When people ask 'do you support City?' I answer 'yes', but don't tell them which one. Fame for 15 minutes.:D

Users who are viewing this thread