Alternatives to sky, virgin etc (1 Viewer)

Covstu

coming to the realisation that we don't use the TV package half as much as we are paying for. Thinking about downgrading the package as we generally watch the usual terrestrial channels and sky sports news but that's about it generally. The rest is streamed.

Planning on keeping the Internet line of course but dropping TV, are there any decent other options that are just basic?

Nick

Administrator
I have BT TV with a youview box. Does the job, I am not sure if you can get Sky Sports News though.

chiefdave

Funnily enough I was looking at the you view boxes earlier. Seems a pretty good deal with BT Infinity and BT Sport.

You're not going to get Sky Sports News without paying a subscription for Sky Sports which whacks the bill up massively.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, my youView box has been decent. Records, has Netflix and all of the iPlayer, Channel 4 etc ondemand things.

So you can do a search for something and it will search actual TV, ondemand, netflix etc which is quite good.

I moved over from Sky because I was paying a fortune just for TV, the bill is about half now with high speed broadband.

Pipehitterz

ive been using my openbox v8s for 6 months now, have EVERY channel and box office, just needed a sky dish and internet connection booooom

chiefdave

FFS, just checked the place I'm interested in and despite being literally under 50m from the telephone exchange there's no fibre, also no virgin and great big bloody trees so no Sky!

Grendel

I pay over £100 a month for Sky it seems a complete waste of money. Funnily enough I'd never have known but now they text the monthly payment. I really took a step back when I saw it.

Nick

Administrator
I pay over £100 a month for Sky it seems a complete waste of money. Funnily enough I'd never have known but now they text the monthly payment. I really took a step back when I saw it.
That the full movies and sports? Do you use much of the actual sky channel?

stupot07

I'm paying over £100 pm for virgin and that's for the xl and sports, plus broadband and phone. Its s bloody rip off, but I think I would want to keep virgin broadband, its pretty fast, Sky's was shite

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

I'm paying over £100 pm for virgin and that's for the xl and sports, plus broadband and phone. Its s bloody rip off, but I think I would want to keep virgin broadband, its pretty fast, Sky's was shite

Same here too. Have the XL package with Virgin and it is over £100 a month.

Watch the movie channels and obviously the sports for the City and England matches plus the NFL.

Virgin is super fast.

Pipehitterz

heard about them, does it work well?
main gripes, sometime a channel will freeze for a fes seconds
the menu system isnt great,
the remote control is clunky and takes a while to get used to but it gives you every channel and sports box officefor free, so i aint complaining

ebay theyre £100 with 2-3 years support

Nick

Administrator
I might take a look, I have a Sky Dish doing nothing. I have seen them before though but it takes ages to find an actual channel. A certain channel will be on there 4 or 5 times and you have to try all of them.

Is it the same?

Liquid Gold

I had by for a year which was really good but after the contract ends you get to keep the you view box so I changed to virgin just for the Internet. Now pay £20 a month for 50mb fibre and line rental and get the you view free

Nick

Administrator
I had by for a year which was really good but after the contract ends you get to keep the you view box so I changed to virgin just for the Internet. Now pay £20 a month for 50mb fibre and line rental and get the you view free

Do you just lose the addon channels like Discovery / Bt Sport etc?

Pipehitterz

I might take a look, I have a Sky Dish doing nothing. I have seen them before though but it takes ages to find an actual channel. A certain channel will be on there 4 or 5 times and you have to try all of them.

Is it the same?
nah its like a freeview box menu system, so not very advanced

xcraigx

I had the whole bundle and it never registered to me how much it was until I had a letter saying the bill was going up by £3 to £97. What with them losing Champions League football (which must be saving them many millions) putting their prices up was the final straw.

I've kept the Internet as that's very good to be fair and the discovery type channels and now save myself £66 a month. I can stream any football I want easily enough.

Nick

Administrator
I only really watched us when we played on Sky, so it works out much cheaper to just go to the pub for it or watch it on a stream. In an emergency I can pay £6 on Sky Now or whatever it is for the day to see it as well on the PS4!

Grendel

That the full movies and sports? Do you use much of the actual sky channel?

Yes everything - phone internet and HD - I rarely watch many of the channels.

ajsccfc

My Sky subscription comes out to about £70 per month including broadband and a phone line with no phone attached. We're moving soon so I'm definitely looking elsewhere, I've got Sky Sports but at this point the only thing I make a point of watching on it is the NFL which runs for only a third of the year anyway.

stupot07

I think I will look into the open box. Can you record things off it?

blueflint

coming to the realisation that we don't use the TV package half as much as we are paying for. Thinking about downgrading the package as we generally watch the usual terrestrial channels and sky sports news but that's about it generally. The rest is streamed.

Planning on keeping the Internet line of course but dropping TV, are there any decent other options that are just basic?

binned sky got amazon firestick downloaded kodi and modbro get all tv and sky channels free

Otis

I only really watched us when we played on Sky, so it works out much cheaper to just go to the pub for it or watch it on a stream. In an emergency I can pay £6 on Sky Now or whatever it is for the day to see it as well on the PS4!

Think the last time I went to a pub the City were still in the top flight and had just won the cup.

MalcSB

Is it the same?
If you've got a satellite dish, try a humax freesat recorder. HD plus will link to wifi for catchup. Used to have Sky but the humax box paid for itself in 4 months

Liquid Gold

Do you just lose the addon channels like Discovery / Bt Sport etc?

You do but i found I wasn't really watching them much and you still get access to netflix and iplayer etc. the best thing i ever bought was a £2 wire from amazon that connects my laptop to the hdmi, means i can stream or download anything and watch it directly on the tv. Subscriptions really are a rip off.

CCFC88

Funnily enough I was looking at the you view boxes earlier. Seems a pretty good deal with BT Infinity and BT Sport.

You're not going to get Sky Sports News without paying a subscription for Sky Sports which whacks the bill up massively.

The mother in law gets SSN on her sky box without having the skysports channels, may come part of an "entertainment" packageI think as she also gets eurosport.

Pipehitterz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-GENUI...931163?hash=item3ac0fd559b:g:swIAAOSwZ8ZXAbbN
I looked at this on ebay and it says:
'THIS IS NOT A ILLEGAL DESCRAMBLING SERVICE OF ANY NATURE.
WE PROVIDE WARRANTY COVER FOR FREE TO VIEW LEGAL CHANNELS'
Is this just a statement to cover the legalities of selling on ebay or do you have to get the sport added on?
nah this just stops ebay withdrawing the listing
this will have every channel and will provide support for 3 years
basically means youll have access to their broadcast serverfor 3 yeasr and youll be able to get a new channel list off them via download if anything goes wrong with your in those 3 years
after that you can use the net to find support elsewhere if you were not satisfied with the support

Sky_Blue_Daz

We have a sky TVs, phone and broadband package plus another skybox in the bedroom works out at £84 a month plus sky go extra for my iPad which you can download films and box sets
Not a bad deal to be fair

skybluejelly

I watch all the programmes I want on cartoon hd ..and sport on the global tv sport app..nearly all my friends have cancelled there sky recently as it was hard to justify the price for the crap that's on it

Users who are viewing this thread