Another bumper Ricoh crowd expected for Wasps' home game against Sale Sharks (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

It was good today. Think it will settle at similar figure to ccfc.

CCFC have the potential to sell out every week, Wasps don't. If we got back in the championship or even if SISU left. we'd easily be getting more than them on a weekly basis.

Makes me so angry to think over the past week there have been around 25k through the Ricoh turnstiles, probably about 21k were within 10 miles of the Ricoh with 4k from London/other areas. Yet most of the revenue generated will go to paying Haskell and Goode wages.

wingy

My Grandson was up there today .

His Grandfather who Is a diehard City man and Family ( ST's) while being totally disillusioned with our owners took him and has purchased an ST + 1 free St for Josh .

He Is also an Ex Rugger player and fan of that code

SkyBlue_Bear83

Funny you should say that.
So if a Rugby club can't be sustainable without a Football club, how does a Football club with About the same attendance figures survive without a Rugger club?
Costs are cut until it is sustainable like we have done. Something Wasps refused to do at Adams Park which led to their move here, if it doesn't work out as they expected they may have to do the same.

Theres a lot more room for progress in football, the television and sponsorship deals in the premier league would dwarf that of Rugby premiership. As well as football will almost always attract better attendances than rugby as a whole

skybluejelly

No players on the pitch either, Id guess before kick off.

Looks like they are standing up clapping the teams on...but if that is the actual crowd in the tesco stand then a lot of people clearly never used there free tickets..

Nick

Administrator
Then again it doesnt show the family stand where the pic was from, that could have been rammed ;)

That stand doesnt look much more than Fleetwood (if any)

wingy

Costs are cut until it is sustainable like we have done. Something Wasps refused to do at Adams Park which led to their move here, if it doesn't work out as they expected they may have to do the same.

Theres a lot more room for progress in football, the television and sponsorship deals in the premier league would dwarf that of Rugby premiership. As well as football will almost always attract better attendances than rugby as a whole

Agree with a lot of that .

But not round here and not currently.

wingy

Is that a European game?

Doubt it will be 30k but I don't really know much about Rugby, Wasps v Leinster considered a big fixture then?

There will be a decent Irish contingent within the City turn up and a fair gate I'd wager .

They may have missed a trick with some of Cov RFC though.

I believe wasps will kick off at 1.00pm which doesn't leave time for any CRFC fans to get across for kick off @ the Butts ,while appreciating

there probably wouldn't be too many anyway ,might have been an idea to do a double header at the Ricoh but again hard to know how that

would be received or achievable

stupot07

I think I'm right in saying there's only a guarantee of 11 Wasps home games a year. If attendances do drop and in the future they don't qualify for Europe then things don't look quite so good I wouldn't have thought.

We can only hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Brighton Sky Blue

To those who went, how does it feel being able to have a drink in sight of the playing area? I know that as a knuckle dragging football fan it's not legal for me to do it but it sounds nice.

AtomicW

Today's attendance was just short of 3x that of the same fixture last season (5,500). It should be the 2nd lowest at the Ricoh this season, expect the Cardiff LV (Anglo-Welsh) Cup match to be lucky to hit 10,000. So today was very much a good thing.

The Leinster match should sell out, as you'd expect a Champions League match vs Real Madrid to do so, that's a reasonable comparison. Always plenty of travelling Irish support.

The Leicester match should also sell out at the end of the season.

Harlequins, Gloucester and Saracens should all have 15,000+ crowds, not sure about Exeter though. It is a long way away, but we were originally meant to be playing that fixture at Twickenham where 50,000+ was realistically expected like last season.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Today's attendance was just short of 3x that of the same fixture last season (5,500). It should be the 2nd lowest at the Ricoh this season, expect the Cardiff LV (Anglo-Welsh) Cup match to be lucky to hit 10,000. So today was very much a good thing.

The Leinster match should sell out, as you'd expect a Champions League match vs Real Madrid to do so, that's a reasonable comparison. Always plenty of travelling Irish support.

Harlequins, Gloucester and Saracens should all have 15,000+ crowds, not sure about Exeter though. It is a long way away, but we were originally meant to be playing that fixture at Twickenham where 50,000+ was realistically expected like last season.

We shall see, seems a bit optimistic predicting two sell outs when you couldn't sell out your ground opening with free tickets going around like confetti

Moff

I admire your optimism AtomicW, but I think you are grossly overestimating the Coventry public, whose apathy towards sporting clubs will become apparent to you over the next couple of years. Once the initial honeymoon period is over you will see the difference.

I also think your comparable of Wasps V Leinster, being like a Champions league match vs R madrid, is hugley misguided. Most people in the City would know who Real Madrid are whereas a majority wouldnt know who the hell leinester were, where they were from or really give a damn.

Some of us do know who these clubs are, and some people will go to these games and support your club, whereas others such as myself already have Rugby allegiance elsewhere and wont be tempted by such offerings.

chiefdave

If you strip out all the free tickets that are going around todays attendance would be a lot closer to the one you've given for the same fixture last year. What do you think the attendance we be at the same match next year when Wasps existing fan base in London / Wycombe aren't being transported up here for free?

Not sure Leinster will be a sell out, if the first game wasn't with the number of free tickets knocking about I'm not sure anything will. Leinster might be big in the rugby world but I think most people locally would just think you've spelt Leicester wrong. But doesn't that show a flaw in the Wasps plan in that it requires continued European qualification to increase the total number of games and games with bigger attendances. We've filled the ground on more than one occasion but its not really an indication of week in week out attendances.

You seem to be relying on fans of other fans to turn up in big numbers. That can work and has done for us in the past but what when the novelty wears off and they decide it's not worth the trip, especially with so many games being televised?

Coval

Last week the only place I could get 6 seats together for the Leinster match was in the south stand

chiefdave

Last week the only place I could get 6 seats together for the Leinster match was in the south stand

They don't put the whole stadium on sale, it's gets opened up block by block.

Edit: Just selected 6 tickets together in block 19. If it's the same as our games thats one of the fastest selling blocks as it's pretty much on the halfway line so it wouldn't really indicate they are flying out.

Last edited:

AtomicW

Winning and exciting performances help sell tickets, that even used to work at Adams Park (with its small capacity, poor access and lack of facilities etc) . Let's see how it goes shall we?

Thanks

Richard

Sent from my Oneplus One

chiefdave

Winning and exciting performances help sell tickets, that even used to work at Adams Park (with its small capacity, poor access and lack of facilities etc) . Let's see how it goes shall we?

Hopefully that's true and the people of Coventry will go and watch the team that's been here for 141 years and is currently on a 13 game winning streak.

Coval

As I say I am sorry you are right there is limited availability is other blocks just non I liked the look of.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I dunno how many Leinster will bring but honestly I don't expect it to be a sell out unless they give away a load of tickets.

bargepole

... Not sure Leinster will be a sell out, if the first game wasn't with the number of free tickets knocking about I'm not sure anything will. Leinster might be big in the rugby world but I think most people locally would just think you've spelt Leicester wrong. But doesn't that show a flaw in the Wasps plan in that it requires continued European qualification to increase the total number of games and games with bigger attendances. We've filled the ground on more than one occasion but its not really an indication of week in week out attendances.
If (and it's a big if) we can beat Harlequins away, and Leinster (based in Dublin, and previous European champions multiple times) beat Castres in Round 5 as they surely will, then Wasps v Leinster becomes a winner-take-all game to qualify for the knockout stage. In that scenario, there will be hordes of Irishmen descending on Coventry, and the stadium catering, currently abysmal, will need to get their act together to cope with the demand for pints of Guinness before, during, and after the game.

Qualification for the premier European competition is vital for the club's finances due to the TV deal, it almost doesn't matter how many fans are in the ground, it's the TV money that is the big deal.

However far we progress in this year's tournament, the main priority must be to finish no lower than 6th in the league, which guarantees us a place for next season. Sunday's performance lifts us to 4th, just ahead of the Tigers on points difference.

Users who are viewing this thread