anti Pressley on CWR.... (1 Viewer)

Hobo

I am undecided about SP myself.

We did well when we had both Wilson and Clarke playing together. That was some strike force we had. Defensively? Not very good at sorting out a defence. But he has had us playing well most of the season. Has never sorted the defence out though. Who do we blame for the strikers he has brought into the club? Was it him or Waggott that brought them in? Is it lack of funds that has caused our present form? He seems to be good at bringing youth through. But playing a defender up front a few times?

He seems to struggle with having a plan B. Would anyone say he uses subs at the right time and swaps the right players? We have good players for the level we are at but it sounds like we were lucky to escape with a point playing at 'home' against the team that were in 23rd place. No shots on target. We should be safe as we are in 13th place.....but have only got 6 points in the last 8 league games and are now only 3 points out of the bottom 4. Is it the fault of SP or is it lack of funding? Bit of both?

We will probably find out between now and the end of the season. But remember we have actually gained enough points to be in the top 7.

As SP says, with the squad numbers and amount of youth it was inevitable we would have a bad run. Every team has a bad run. When you have a points deduction it's like you have had two bad runs.

You make an interesting point about Waggott. Because I don't know what he does. People seem to praise him and blame managers for poor purchases?

Remember SP has said our scouting system of one person is not practical and has brought in a three man team.

Also you mention his substitutions. In fairness most the time he hasn't had a bench to work from. You have had youth on there making up numbers rather than being ready to make their debut.

You are right to have the reservations you have. But for me with a bit more scrutiny around what SP says, does and has in real terms achieved....he has been a very good manager. We need continuity in that department. Robins and Pressley have been the first two managers in a long time who could seemingly deliver given a three/four year term.

H

Huckerby

We will probably find out between now and the end of the season. But remember we have actually gained enough points to be in the top 7.

As SP says, with the squad numbers and amount of youth it was inevitable we would have a bad run. Every team has a bad run. When you have a points deduction it's like you have had two bad runs.

You make an interesting point about Waggott. Because I don't know what he does. People seem to praise him and blame managers for poor purchases?

Remember SP has said our scouting system of one person is not practical and has brought in a three man team.

Also you mention his substitutions. In fairness most the time he hasn't had a bench to work from. You have had youth on there making up numbers rather than being ready to make their debut.

You are right to have the reservations you have. But for me with a bit more scrutiny around what SP says, does and has in real terms achieved....he has been a very good manager. We need continuity in that department. Robins and Pressley have been the first two managers in a long time who could seemingly deliver given a three/four year term.

I think its really reassuring that he's brought in a couple more scouts saying the one man team wasn't practical.

Astute - you say he hasn't shown much in terms of a plan B, and I see what you're saying, but I think he's already on plan B using loanees and youth players and that itself shows versatility I think. Many other managers would've chucked it in by now with zero funds and a youth team. (I know you meant tactically but you get me)

Astute

I agree with both of you. But I would say that we have better players than our last opponents and they nearly scored a few times and by the sound of it we never came close. It is starting to look to me as though Clarke carried our team a lot of the season and helped Wilson more than I thought. Otherwise we should have created more chances of a better quality. I hope that I am wrong or we are in big trouble. It sounded like only their poor finishing saved us, and that was against a club that look relegated.

Hobo

I agree with both of you. But I would say that we have better players than our last opponents and they nearly scored a few times and by the sound of it we never came close. It is starting to look to me as though Clarke carried our team a lot of the season and helped Wilson more than I thought. Otherwise we should have created more chances of a better quality. I hope that I am wrong or we are in big trouble. It sounded like only their poor finishing saved us, and that was against a club that look relegated.

Wilson needs time to get back up to pace and the new faces are still new. The next few weeks are very important as we need points back on the board, high density of fixtures too.

ccfc92

Wilson needs time to get back up to pace and the new faces are still new. The next few weeks are very important as we need points back on the board, high density of fixtures too.

Hopefully we can string two wins together before Brentford. We have 12 games remaining, I'd say 4 wins out of them will see us safe. That's 12 points, plus maybe 3-4 draws. So 16 points should guarantee safety

ccfc92

I am undecided about SP myself.

We did well when we had both Wilson and Clarke playing together. That was some strike force we had. Defensively? Not very good at sorting out a defence. But he has had us playing well most of the season. Has never sorted the defence out though. Who do we blame for the strikers he has brought into the club? Was it him or Waggott that brought them in? Is it lack of funds that has caused our present form? He seems to be good at bringing youth through. But playing a defender up front a few times?

He seems to struggle with having a plan B. Would anyone say he uses subs at the right time and swaps the right players? We have good players for the level we are at but it sounds like we were lucky to escape with a point playing at 'home' against the team that were in 23rd place. No shots on target. We should be safe as we are in 13th place.....but have only got 6 points in the last 8 league games and are now only 3 points out of the bottom 4. Is it the fault of SP or is it lack of funding? Bit of both?

I'd definitely agree with the Plan B part. It's all well and good playing the beautiful passing game, but when the pitch is boggy and bobbly, you can't play this style easily. and therefore you need to adapt to the conditions. Only then can you be a successful team. Adapt and Overcome is very apt for football IMO

Users who are viewing this thread