Are we allowed to sign from the womens leagues... (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

You’re missing the point by miles.

For all I know there are 16-y-o lads in this world who would beat the women’s Olympic champion in a sprint. Maybe that means the BBC should stop broadcasting women’s athletics because it’s second rate? Perhaps they should have relegated Steffi Graf vs Martina Navratilova to the radio, since it wasn’t worth watching. Of course not – it’s the females of the human species competing on a level playing field with each other in elite sport. The commitment, skill, drama and emotion are all on a par with the men, and deserve to be valued the same.

This Euro 2022 tournament is entertaining and captivating - but I guess because the players in League 2 are faster and stronger it would make sense to put Tranmere Rovers vs Leyton Orient on prime time TV instead. I can just hear the BBC announcer explaining that to people.

There are 16 year old boys who can beat elite women:

http://www.boysvswomen.com

That doesn’t mean womens sport is worthless. That’s like saying U18s is worthless because they’d get beaten by men.

Serena Williams got beat by the 200th rank mens player. Mens and womens sport where physicality matters aren’t a level playing field. That’s OK.

Calista

That doesn’t mean womens sport is worthless. That’s like saying U18s is worthless because they’d get beaten by men.

Serena Williams got beat by the 200th rank mens player. Mens and womens sport where physicality matters aren’t a level playing field. That’s OK.
So like me you'll be watching next Tuesday night, with your pulse rate going through the roof!

edgy

I've watched all the Lionesses games so far this tournament and I must say the quality of delivery into the box is excellent.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

For me what makes an interesting contest is having players of a similar level of ability. Whether that be through age, gender or just natural ability. A lot of us have enjoyed watching a lower level of football recently, whereas the PL is a bit of a borefest at times despite the clear increase in ability. Watching Man C stroll around Norwich in second gear isn't particularly entertaining.

MacReady

This is most logical comment on this entire thread. I think some people like stirring the shit - a bit like the OP. But I hope we beat Spain 💪

djr8369

I guess the issue is many people make similar points while implying it is worthless.
You’re right, it is OK, but people will bring it up, facts don’t care about your feelings style, but why even mention it?

That’s probably why some people inferred that you were deriding the womens game.

Evo1883

Also worth pointing out that women's tennis doesn't get anywhere near the same amount of scrutiny , despite it also being a lower standard to the men's, its because we're conditioned to watching women's tennis and it's been normalised in society over decades .

MacReady

Listen lads

Make no mistake men's and womens sports / football is different but I'm unsure why people always have to dig at women's football it's a different game altogether .
I don’t think the majority of people on here are having a dig - most people will support their national side regardless of sport or gender. It’s this thread (which just feels like a massive shit stirring exercise) and it’s obsession with trying to compare which is causing comments to be taken as negative instead of enjoying the womens game and the fact that it is so vastly improved - a lot of people probably don’t realise how far it’s come in such a short space of time - people are still trying to catch up. It’s genuinely great to see how improved the game is…. My caffeine reserves have ended and that’s the biggest post I’ve ever written.

Nick

Administrator
Listen lads

Make no mistake men's and womens sports / football is different but I'm unsure why people always have to dig at women's football it's a different game altogether .

My only issue really is when the media etc try to make it the same and compare.

I saw one the other day where they were comparing one to Alan Shearer / England goals etc.

Yeah, it's a completely different game so don't compare and put the Women's Transfer News in with the Men's and confuse it all.

Evo1883

My only issue really is when the media etc try to make it the same and compare.

I saw one the other day where they were comparing one to Alan Shearer / England goals etc.

Yeah, it's a completely different game so don't compare and put the Women's Transfer News in with the Men's and confuse it all.
I'd agree with that

shmmeee

I guess the issue is many people make similar points while implying it is worthless.
You’re right, it is OK, but people will bring it up, facts don’t care about your feelings style, but why even mention it?

That’s probably why some people inferred that you were deriding the womens game.

Only because someone else mentioned it as I was providing context. Also because there’s a movement at the moment to imply womens sports are sexist and not needed and we should abandon sex categories.

mds

In the 90s there was a film about a woman footballer playing for QPR men's team. I've never been able to find it online - does anyone else remember it?
I had vague recollections, so looked it up.

Born Kicking.

Last edited:

Paxman II

I think it's fair to say women can compete with men in certain sports. As mentioned already. darts, snooker, maybe even tidly winks!, but in most areas it would be unfair on women to expect them to compete with men. Conversely trans men have all the biological advantages and should not compete with women. If you are so intent on competeing as a trans person then lets create a new category for trans athletes etc to compete fairly with each other surely?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

In the 1920's women's football was more popular than the men's game

Crowd's of 50,000 were common place, obviously the war had a major part to play.
But presumably it was a good standard, that many people wouldn't pay to watch drivel.

Yeah but we didn't have Love Island 🏝️ in them days 😅.

skyblu3sk

I don’t think the majority of people on here are having a dig - most people will support their national side regardless of sport or gender. It’s this thread (which just feels like a massive shit stirring exercise) and it’s obsession with trying to compare which is causing comments to be taken as negative instead of enjoying the womens game and the fact that it is so vastly improved - a lot of people probably don’t realise how far it’s come in such a short space of time - people are still trying to catch up. It’s genuinely great to see how improved the game is…. My caffeine reserves have ended and that’s the biggest post I’ve ever written.
I can honestly promise it wasn't a shit stiring post. I'd just been really impressed! I'm surprised with the level of vitriol that created 🤣🤣.

NortonSkyBlue

In the 1920's women's football was more popular than the men's game

Crowd's of 50,000 were common place, obviously the war had a major part to play.
But presumably it was a good standard, that many people wouldn't pay to watch drivel.
It may have been popular but it certainly wasn’t more popular than the men’s game. Never has been.
watched last nights game and imo the standard was excellent, the atmosphere was fantastic and can see a day when it will stand alongside the men’s game.

Greggs

Listen lads

listen mate

people are confused because the OP suggested that mens teams should sign women players. Utter fucking nonsense. That's all really. Stupid questions get stupid answers.

Greggs

I can honestly promise it wasn't a shit stiring post. I'd just been really impressed! I'm surprised with the level of vitriol that created 🤣🤣.
people that ask such ridiculous questions shouldn't be allowed access to the internet.

lordy_87

listen mate

people are confused because the OP suggested that mens teams should sign women players. Utter fucking nonsense. That's all really. Stupid questions get stupid answers.
I think it was tongue in cheek greggs

Block 19

It’s fair to point out physical differences which mean you’re unlikely to see women competing directly with men at the top level of a sport like football (just as you wouldn’t expect a woman to run in the men’s 100 metres final).

But you’re saying that women have inherently poorer technical ability? Wow that speaks volumes.

In this Euro 2022 tournament I’ve seen numerous examples of passing and crossing that would put some of our first-teamers to shame. And for pure entertainment the QF between England and Spain was unbeatable.

Is the power of a shot a physical or technical attribute? Not every technical attribute, but quite a lot are influenced by physical ability. For example, dribbling relies a lot upon agility and balance.

Users who are viewing this thread