Ashes 2023 (4 Viewers)

chiefdave

Think they may have to look at a different spinning option, Ali’s fingers look mangled.
back to back games for the whole series isn't going to help. Anderson didn't look happy, I mean he never looks happy but he's just back from injury. Robinson was feeling his ankle, Ali hasn't bowled more than 4 overs in a game for years. Bairstow has been out for a long time, can he handle 5 games in such a short space of time?

lot of questions, next game is going to be very interesting

Sky Blue Pete

I dont think we will get 5 nil'd

However Stokes has to learn a lesson. You dint declare in day 1, especially when Root was twatting the aussies for a boundary a ball, and with Jimmy to come in whos good for double figures after, thats 25/30 runs in 4 or 5 overs. He could have still had a crack at them
Would have been a draw

Bertola

One of the all-time great test matches... and both teams will feel like they've got more to come.

For Aussies, you've got to think Labuschagne, Warner and Smith will come good at some point throughout the series, whilst for England, you've got to think there will be improvements in the field, and with the ball in hand. Anderson wasn't great, Robinson was hit and miss, and Ali's injury didn't help, whilst Bairstow missed crucial chances, and there was the Broad no-ball.

If the rest of this series is played in a similar manner to this test, we're in for a thriller

Macca

A draw is better than a loss no?

Doesn’t appear to be the case anymore. Unfortunately we now need to win at least 3 tests which will be disappointing in terms of the Ashes but great if you like novelty shots and self indulgent captaincy decisions.

Surely there is room for a bit of quenching the short attention span of the modern sporting audience and some sensible cricket

tisza

Thought it was an excellent Test match against the current number 1 ranked side. Could have gone one either way right until the end - Stokes holds that chance and we could be seeing a different narrative.
Don't think the declaration was that big a deal - had enough chances in the field in both innings for a different result.
Ali worries me as being the main spinner - way too many boundary balls (1st innings in particular) against a side playing generally conservatively. Bairstow's keeping a concern but they'll give it another go next Test.
Threat remains the world's 1 & 2 batsmen got no runs this time around.
Didn't think the Aussie bowlers gave England that many problems apart from the start of 2nd innings in poor light. Lyon was gifted most of his wickets but that's the risk with Bazball.

Last edited:

David O'Day

Doesn’t appear to be the case anymore. Unfortunately we now need to win at least 3 tests which will be disappointing in terms of the Ashes but great if you like novelty shots and self indulgent captaincy decisions.

Surely there is room for a bit of quenching the short attention span of the modern sporting audience and some sensible cricket
do one boycott

clint van damme

As someone who doesn't really follow cricket I really enjoyed it result aside.
Might upset the purists but surely games like that generate interest?

SkyBlueSoul

Purists would say if you want fast, entertaining cricket then go and watch ODI or T20. The other side of the argument is that Test cricket has to keep up with the other formats to some degree and I think it's great that we're seeing matches like this.

Sky have announced that it got the highest peak audience for a Test match (2.12m) since they took over the rights, and day 5 averaged 1.17m so it definitely struck a chord.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We need to win at least two and draw the others.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Thought it was an excellent Test match against the current number 1 ranked side. Could have gone one either way right until the end - Stokes holds that chance and we could be seeing a different narrative.
Don't think the declaration was that big a deal - had enough chances in the field in both innings for a different result.
Ali worries me as being the main spinner - way too many boundary balls (1st innings in particular) against a side playing generally conservatively. Bairstow's keeping a concern but they'll give it another go next Test.
Threat remains the world's 1 & 2 batsmen got no runs this time around.
Didn't think the Aussie bowlers gave England that many problems apart from the start of 2nd innings in poor light. Lyon was gifted most of his wickets but that's the risk with Bazball.
Yup, my thoughts too. Have people criticising declaration/wickets not been watching England since Baz/Ben took over?...

I genuinely don't see the point in winning this series by grinding out results but then losing a generation of kids who lose interest. It's almost do or die for Test match cricket at the moment and we need a classic series. And even then it might be too late.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yup, my thoughts too. Have people criticising declaration/wickets not been watching England since Baz/Ben took over?...

I genuinely don't see the point in winning this series by grinding out results but then losing a generation of kids who lose interest. It's almost do or die for Test match cricket at the moment and we need a classic series. And even then it might be too late.
Winning will always be remembered over great performances. Strauss’s team always brought in the crowds - his sides were definition of grinding opponents down

i’ve no issues with the batting - I’m over that. Stokes makes rash decisions, the declaration served no purpose. It was sunny, we should have batted a bit longer (with Root and Robinson) - the. If you wanted the declared route - could have done it overnight due to the overcast conditions on day 2. It’s possibly cost us 20/30 runs

the follow on in New Zealand was brainless aswell. Said it at the time. The way we bat didn’t require the follow on

team selection is another one - Foakes has just scored a ton chasing 501 with Surrey, Bairstow’s keeping is another reason for that loss.

they must bat it off as “how we play” but the style of play hasn’t cost them in these matches. Its stokes recklessness.

ccfctommy

Team announced for Lords.

Josh Tongue in for Moeen Ali. Bairstow keeps his place. No Mark Wood.

No spinner.

tisza

Doesn’t Woakes have a really good record at Lords?
I'd been looking at Woakes but his wickets were a while ago there. If they are preparing the docile wickets Stokes asked for then he may not be the answer although he's a very useful lower bat. Stokes not bowling "properly" is a headache for team selection

Terry Gibson's perm

I'd been looking at Woakes but his wickets were a while ago there. If they are preparing the docile wickets Stokes asked for then he may not be the answer although he's a very useful lower bat. Stokes not bowling "properly" is a headache for team selection

I might be wrong here and I hope so but Tongue is very average although a different game he got smashed all over the park in the blast against the bears. Correct on Stokes.

If the selectors can manage to look around the country Mousley at the bears is a real prospect and Yates looks good again but no doubt if they ever drop Crawley they will go for Lawrence as he is moving to Surrey.

Woakes is being wasted carrying the drinks may as well bowl some overs at the bears.

tisza

I might be wrong here and I hope so but Tongue is very average although a different game he got smashed all over the park in the blast against the bears. Correct on Stokes.

If the selectors can manage to look around the country Mousley at the bears is a real prospect and Yates looks good again but no doubt if they ever drop Crawley they will go for Lawrence as he is moving to Surrey.

Woakes is being wasted carrying the drinks may as well bowl some overs at the bears.
Mousley really kicked on and impressed this season.
Tongue I don't get. Not sure he's any better than the likes of Potts, Overton etc. Happy to be proved wrong.

Terry Gibson's perm

Mousley really kicked on and impressed this season.
Tongue I don't get. Not sure he's any better than the likes of Potts, Overton etc. Happy to be proved wrong.

I had forgotten about Potts and Overton. Is Stone still injured at Notts?

Don’t know why I asked of course he is 10 year career 45 games played.

Users who are viewing this thread