Attendances next season (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

When you take this season as a benchmark, the only clubs in the division that got a higher average home attendance than us are teams that have all been in the PL within the last 6 years.
When you factor in how long we’ve been out of the big time, are gates look decent.

In fact out of the whole 92, the only club to get bigger crowds than us, who have been out of the top flight for longer is Sheffield Wednesday.

Good stat.

its a buzzard

As always it depends on how we do.

If it looks like we’re on another run to the playoffs it’ll be 23k-25k average, if not then it’ll be a bit higher than last season.

if it looks like promotion might be on the cards then we’d have to play some games twice to get everyone who wants a ticket in

we now have one thing we haven’t had in a long long time- hope.. on the other side we also have expectation and that can go either way, a bad start and people will be writing the whole season off and demanding blood
Hope springs eternal. It never went away.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

skybluelee

Not too sure they would! £33 was a lot of money for people. £35 would be astronomical for Category A, especially when over half the matches next season will fall into that price bracket.

It would be easy for Doug and Boddy to look at the final few games and the sell-outs at £33 and think it would happen again next year. It won't. As mentioned above, some of the Cat A attendances were dreadful. Norwich would have been a poor crow had it not been televised. It is not an attractive fixture and they will not sell the away end out.

I think it is very important that the club do not announce prices for matches for the whole season. That way they can change prices based on televised fixtures of the form of the team. It would be disastrous to announce Stoke at home in February as Category A £35 for us to be 14th in the table and only 15,000 turn up.
I'm not saying prices should go up. I am saying that for your fictitious game v Stoke below, if the crowd was 15k at £35 it would be near as damn the same at £33.

Last edited:

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

You'd have to hope for an uplift on last season wouldn't you, I'm sure that some new fans will have got the bug, and I don't see many old ones drifting away.

Plus, at least according to the council's figures, there's also the literally tens of Wasps fans in the city, with millions of pounds in their pockets and nothing to spend it on (Cov RFC excepted).
Just corrected it for you

Somerset Sky Blue

As someone alluded to earlier, jsb prices will have an impact on the fans who don't go every week.
I don't choose games on cat a/b/c, it tends to come down to when we can come up (usually weekends). This year, with jsb membership, they could get a free ticket in family zone, so I would only pay for me (and sometimes wife), which is a good price.
If jsb membership becomes significantly more expensive (or jsb tickets are), then I will have to look at prices and number of games I can attend.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think Leicester will be high regardless.

Leeds would be about 23,000 on a regular Saturday.
Leeds will be substantially more, particularly is we are anywhere near the play offs. 28,000 was the midweek figure at the Ricoh when they beat us. They will bring absolutely loads of fans and they are always a big pull.

bigfatronssba

Leeds will be substantially more, particularly is we are anywhere near the play offs. 28,000 was the midweek figure at the Ricoh when they beat us. They will bring absolutely loads of fans and they are always a big pull.

They’ll bring fewer this time as 4.5k seems to be the new maximum given to away fans.
However that should be offset by our increased home support

pusbccfc

But again, we gave them 6000+ that day.

Lets not forget that before our late run this season, we spent most of the season with the highest home figure of 20,000 against Cardiff.

Hobo

Coventry Metro population 445,000.

Sunderland Metro population 345,00.

Coventry sold around 13,500 season tickets last year. Sunderland have sold 29,000 so far for next season.

I know they are annoying but they are well supported. We have some way to go.

hopon66

Coventry sold around 13,500 season tickets last year. Sunderland have sold 29,000 so far for next season.

Sunderland's support is incredible, if not a little deluded. Always thought they were quiet though, but never been to their ground.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Nuskyblue

Different up there tho, we are surrounded by big clubs who are all very accessible and have had success in living memory. There seems less tribalism this way too...

Whereas up there they have Newcastle and Boro who to contend with who have won fuck all.

Ashdown

Plus most of the County of Durham follow them, let’s get the facts in place😃

Ashdown

Our support will be completely dependent on two main issues, success on the pitch and affordability . Exciting football brings excited noisy addictive support. Sensible kick off times and prices brings the masses to feed off it . We’ve had it good for two seasons now , long May it continue🙏

pusbccfc

In the Premier League in recent times.

As someone posted on here, only Sheffield Wednesday have bigger crowds than us without recent Premier League football.

croatskyblue

As someone posted on here, only Sheffield Wednesday have bigger crowds than us without recent Premier League football.

Ipswich Town? Think they came down the year after us.

Derby as well, one season of premier league football in 21 yrs and none for 16

pusbccfc

Ipswich Town? Think they came down the year after us.

Derby as well, one season of premier league football in 21 yrs and none for 16

Ipswich are a team we need to look at as an example. Were getting a solid 17-20k for the last 10 years and then this year they've averaged an incredible 26,000.

There's no reason we can't.

shmmeee

It’s always the massive outliers like Norwich/Ipswich, Sunderland and Sheff Wed that people bring up when doing down our attendances…

croatskyblue

It’s always the massive outliers like Norwich/Ipswich, Sunderland and Sheff Wed that people bring up when doing down our attendances…

not doing them down, it’s just fact. Looking at what’s happened the last few years we should get a lot more than we do. The thing is though a lot of supporters still have the mentality to complain about everything or else they don’t bother

the hysteria about season tickets not being on sale yet is an example

SeaSeeEffCee

We should really be averaging 25k+ with all the good feeling around the club. Will probably be closer to 20k though.

M&B Stand

It’ll be largely results driven. It’s more imperative than ever we start well.

Leeds, Leicester, Blues and Albion gates will be big, how big will decided by kick off times, TV and the SAG

Ashdown

Coventry is like the United Nations these days. I’ve sat on a bench in town and not heard a single word of English for 40 minutes as people walk by.. People can’t just equate population growth with affinity to a football club.

pusbccfc

Coventry is like the United Nations these days. I’ve sat on a bench in town and not heard a single word of English for 40 minutes as people walk by.. People can’t just equate population growth with affinity to a football club.

But that's the same as every city in England. In fact, other cities are far more diverse than ours.

I think we actually have quite a diverse fan base compared to other clubs. I'd like it to grow. The club should reach out to the communities.

Reactions: AOM

croatskyblue

That never happened, and anyway Leicester, Birmingham, Nottingham and so on are just as diverse and plenty are more, that’s nothing to do with it at all

we are no different to any other city, we just have to try to build support same as any other club but we’re a few years behind thanks to the mismanagement & crap that went on before

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ipswich are a team we need to look at as an example. Were getting a solid 17-20k for the last 10 years and then this year they've averaged an incredible 26,000.

There's no reason we can't.
Well, apart from the fact that Ipswich is the biggest town for miles and their nearest competitors are over 50miles away and consist of those footballing giants Norwich, Cambridge and Peterborough.

Whereas we are a small strip of greenbelt away from the second largest city in the country with well-known names like Villa, Brum, West Brom and Wolves, while in the other direction you've got Leicester - all much bigger clubs nearer to us than Ipswich's nearest competitors

pusbccfc

Well, apart from the fact that Ipswich is the biggest town for miles and their nearest competitors are over 50miles away and consist of those footballing giants Norwich, Cambridge and Peterborough.

Whereas we are a small strip of greenbelt away from the second largest city in the country with well-known names like Villa, Brum, West Brom and Wolves, while in the other direction you've got Leicester - all much bigger clubs nearer to us than Ipswich's nearest competitors

That argument works for Norwich but less so Ipswich.

Suffolk population is about 700,000 whereas the Coventry and Warwickshire population is about 900,000.

Also think being close to the Birmingham clubs makes no difference really. Besides Villa, they aren't attractive clubs to glory hunters. It's a little different to the North West or London where people from towns and villages are attracted to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United or Arsenal. In fact, Suffolk has a sizeable Arsenal/West Ham/Tottenham fan base due to people moving out of Essex. Colchester for example is a huge West Ham strong hold despite being up the road from Ipswich.

croatskyblue

Suffolk population is about 700,000 whereas the Coventry and Warwickshire population is about 900,000.

Also think being close to the Birmingham clubs makes no difference really. Besides Villa, they aren't attractive clubs to glory hunters. It's a little different to the North West or London where people from towns and villages are attracted to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United or Arsenal. In fact, Suffolk has a sizeable Arsenal/West Ham/Tottenham fan base due to people moving out of Essex. Colchester for example is a huge West Ham strong hold despite being up the road from Ipswich.

the population size thing is less important than history, how well the club is doing and momentum, population just puts a limit on how big they can get

Hobo

Yes but when we were in the Premier League they were relatively shit struggled to get past 20,000. Also pre Premier League when Division One was top league - a few 14,000 gates.

theferret

Mmm, many parts of Warwickshire where Villa are better supported than us. That 900K is massively diluted. Ipswich represent their county in a way we don't. Not many in Atherstone or Shipston on Stour who have any emotional tie to Coventry at all.

Also, Ipswich, their last few years in the Championship:

..so less than we're getting now. Football crowds are cyclical and people make far too much of populations without looking at wider context. The North East region is £3 million+ people with only 3 league sides (although should probably include Hartlepool). Gates of those clubs are entirely in line with what they should be getting.

Our closest comparison should be Leicester - but this has been distorted owing to recent history. Prior to that, no real difference, despite them having a larger catchment area than us.

Nuskyblue

But that's the same as every city in England. In fact, other cities are far more diverse than ours.

I think we actually have quite a diverse fan base compared to other clubs. I'd like it to grow. The club should reach out to the communities.
When I was knocking about in my Cov shirt the Friday before the final loads of people wished the club well, most weren't English, I think all of them actually...

Users who are viewing this thread