Attendances next season (2 Viewers)

Hobo

Plus most of the County of Durham follow them, let’s get the facts in place😃
There are a lot down here follow them (on social media at least) 😂😂

pusbccfc

20230602_195905.jpg

This is what needs to improve. This also excludes our huge catchment areas like Nuneaton and Leamington.

Nuskyblue

Surely Bristol figure is wrong. Higher population but similar attendance and somehow they are 2.5% up on us.
Should be 3.97% for Bristol based on those figures.

Brums should be 1.3%, I should have noticed that straight up because it sticks out like a sore thumb

bigfatronssba

View attachment 30111

This is what needs to improve. This also excludes our huge catchment areas like Nuneaton and Leamington.

That’s the same for all clubs on that list though, and due to geography makes us look deceptively bad.

The official Coventry built up area has a population of 360k.

Sheffield has a built up area of 685k.

Bristol has a built up area of 617k.

Cardiff has a built up area of 447k.

Middlesbrough has a built up area of 376k.

In short that table is nonsense.
All it does is take the population of the local council borough, and ignores the surrounding area. So it’s making an assumption that all club’s supporters come from within the council borough that it plays in. Which of course is not true for any club.
Remember, if your definition of a town/city is based purely on its council area, then Nottingham Forest do not play in Nottingham. They play in West Bridgeford.

shmmeee

That’s the same for all clubs on that list though, and due to geography makes us look deceptively bad.

The official Coventry built up area has a population of 360k.

Sheffield has a built up area of 685k.

Bristol has a built up area of 617k.

Cardiff has a built up area of 447k.

Middlesbrough has a built up area of 376k.

In short that table is nonsense.
All it does is take the population of the local council borough, and ignores the surrounding area. So it’s making an assumption that all club’s supporters come from within the council borough that it plays in. Which of course is not true for any club.
Remember, if your definition of a town/city is based purely on its council area, then Nottingham Forest do not play in Nottingham. They play in West Bridgeford.

Said this before but some kind of weighted Voronoi diagram that creates areas between clubs based on their division is the only sensible way to work it out.

Old Warwickshire lad

Season tickets have risen in price. It goes without saying, that single tickets will rise in price also.
If there is no financial incentive to purchase a season ticket, far fewer will be sold.

ccfcchris

Season tickets have risen in price. It goes without saying, that single tickets will rise in price also.
If there is no financial incentive to purchase a season ticket, far fewer will be sold.
It's also true that you should never undervalue your product.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The figures for support from within the City are no suprise to me.Like i've said before when City are playing at home if you asked people 9 out of 10 would not even know they were.The marketing of our club is a joke. An odd advertising billboard in strategic places would not go a miss.

AOM

The figures for support from within the City are no suprise to me.Like i've said before when City are playing at home if you asked people 9 out of 10 would not even know they were.The marketing of our club is a joke. An odd advertising billboard in strategic places would not go a miss.
They did start to do this more around the city at the end of last season to be fair, so hopefully they build on that for next year.
Saying that, someone mentioned one billboard was for a game already played a week or so before...

NortonSkyBlue

With all due respect billboards are so last century, there are many more ways to entice potential supporters nowadays but the best method of attracting new fans is winning matches.
You state that are marketing is a joke but how much marketing was needed for the Blues, Boro and Luton games?

slowpoke

These comparisons of attendance never tell the whole story or reasons especially here at Cov.
Way back then chairman Jimmy Hill reduced the then Highfield Road capacity from 36k to just over 21k including away support at a stroke with his crazy all seater venture and a lot of those seats were uncovered. The maximum home support was about 19000 that stayed that way more or less until we left HR even when the new East Stand was built.
Then when we moved to the Arena we were restricted to a maximum 23k for a while due to safety restrictions all before sisu, then when they arrived we had a year at Northampton & two at Brum.
There can’t be any other club in the country that’s so many have been fucked about by so few.
Times thankfully have changed I’ll be disappointed if our regular home support doesn’t get 20k and more next season.

croatskyblue

They did start to do this more around the city at the end of last season to be fair, so hopefully they build on that for next year.
Saying that, someone mentioned one billboard was for a game already played a week or so before...

it’s not 1974, advertising boards wouldn’t do much. Winning matches & momentum is the only surefire way, plus online

Nick

Administrator
disagree about billboards. We’ve got a very local market and there’s value in making sure people know when there’s a game on. Even if it’s just the one at the arena roundabout.

There was just an adver there.

bigfatronssba

Simple fact is if we do well we get decent crowds.
If we do badly we don’t.

Just like 95% of all other clubs.

As I’ve said many times, we aren’t special one way or another

AOM

disagree about billboards. We’ve got a very local market and there’s value in making sure people know when there’s a game on. Even if it’s just the one at the arena roundabout.

Yep, agree. Especially in a city with two big universities where we could attract students who might decide to give a home game a go.
If I didn't have an active interest, I'd have absolutely no idea when or who we're playing each week

Peter Billing Eyes

This is a largely ridiculous set of stats. The selection is entirely arbitrary. For Huddersfield, they have used the metropolitan district of Kirklees which is not the exclusive domain of Huddersfield and yet elect to ignore the continual built-up area of Preston in favour of using population numbers for the town only. For other clubs they have used tightly constricted population data and for cities with two clubs it seems they assumed making the total divisible by 2 would provide accurate information. Some of the data is 12 years out of date and is taken from the 2011 census.

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

With all due respect billboards are so last century, there are many more ways to entice potential supporters nowadays but the best method of attracting new fans is winning matches.
You state that are marketing is a joke but how much marketing was needed for the Blues, Boro and Luton games?
I bet those games were attended by people who go to games but cannot commit to a season ticket, knew the importance of those games just the same as any new ST sales will come from those people.I agree with shmmeee 1 at the CBS with next fixture on(plenty of views from passing traffic)and AOM tapping into students market.
I don't care where the advertising is done but if you want new supporters let them know when you are playing.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I bet those games were attended by people who go to games but cannot commit to a season ticket, knew the importance of those games just the same as any new ST sales will come from those people.I agree with shmmeee 1 at the CBS with next fixture on(plenty of views from passing traffic)and AOM tapping into students market.
I don't care where the advertising is done but if you want new supporters let them know when you are playing.

This is one area that the club seemingly has consistently failed miserably at capitalising upon.

Given there's nearly 60k students between Coventry and Warwick Uni, more effective collaboration is needed to entice students to games. Same applies with the local colleges too.

The odd billboard would do little to garner interest unless they were marketing a specific deal but striking up relationships with local institutions to see how the club could use its reach within the area to help them with their specific goals is a pretty simple concept.

shmmeee

This is one area that the club seemingly has consistently failed miserably at capitalising upon.

Given there's nearly 60k students between Coventry and Warwick Uni, more effective collaboration is needed to entice students to games. Same applies with the local colleges too.

The odd billboard would do little to garner interest unless they were marketing a specific deal but striking up relationships with local institutions to see how the club could use its reach within the area to help them with their specific goals is a pretty simple concept.

The point of a billboard isn’t to garner new interest, it’s to keep us in mind when people who turn up to one or two games a season wonder what to do with their weekend. Everyone in the city should know when our next game is and a static information display is the cheapest and easiest way to achieve that. Doesn’t mean other routes can’t be taken to bring in new supporters.

KenilworthSkyBlue

The point of a billboard isn’t to garner new interest, it’s to keep us in mind when people who turn up to one or two games a season wonder what to do with their weekend. Everyone in the city should know when our next game is and a static information display is the cheapest and easiest way to achieve that. Doesn’t mean other routes can’t be taken to bring in new supporters.

Yeah I just think marketing to a niche is IMO is pointless in this context as you're unlucky to generate any kind of ROI. In order to cultivate momentum and consumer recall you'd have to occupy multiple billboards in strategic places throughout the area pretty much all year. Equally I think there's just far better ways and means to do what you're suggesting nowadays. SMS marketing, email marketing, social media, news (online and print), PPC etc.

Billboards could be added to the mix but it's one of those where you have to wonder what's the return actually going to be if your target market is essentially people that might go a couple of times a year.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

The Sky Blue Tavern could play its part in this too, student nights / offers etc

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Ashdown

That applies to all of our fixtures, not their pricing categorisation. The Sunderland and Norwich games were on TV at lunchtime which would have had some impact on the crowds.

I'm not suggesting prices should be increased btw. I just don't think it would impact on somebody's decision to attend if the Cat A price went up £2. If they paid £33 they'll almost certainly pay £35. If they wouldn't pay £33 they certainly wouldn't pay £35.
Maybe, maybe not…..it suddenly becomes £70 for a couple. Not going to lie that’s a lot of money to me these days. And as we all know that’s just the start of your spend that day.

Users who are viewing this thread