Ben Sheaf Assist (3 Viewers)

SkyBlueTam

I've re-watched Gyökeres' goal over and over again at 1/4 speed and although O'Hare did all the hard work to get the ball into the box, when it rebounded out to Sheaf, even though he had very little time to react, he deliberately angled his foot and weighted a perfect 2 yard pass to the waiting Gyökeres who he had spotted in space to his left.

A brilliant piece of instinctive play and yet he gets very little credit for his part in the goal. 

I do wish people would get off his back.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 09.53.32 am.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 09.53.32 am.png
    910.5 KB · Views: 132

Liquid Gold

It looked like he flicked it under his standing leg. Great awareness to see his teammate in a better postion.

NortonSkyBlue

I am not a fan of Sheaf but I must say I thought elements of his play on Sunday were top quality and he got better as the game progressed. His awareness was excellent and sometimes you could see his outlet ball was not on because of lack of movement from his team mates. More of the same please.

rexo87

You say you wish people would get off his back. I've only seen positive comments about his second half performance. I think everyone can admit him and Hamer were not at their best in the first half. We can all see the ability he has and i'm excited to watch him this season. The only place where people are really getting on his back is the facebook forum but the average IQ on that forum is fairly low

shmmeee

I am not a fan of Sheaf but I must say I thought elements of his play on Sunday were top quality and he got better as the game progressed. His awareness was excellent and sometimes you could see his outlet ball was not on because of lack of movement from his team mates. More of the same please.

Him and Hamer both suffered massively from lack of an outlet. Someone else said they need to learn to take the safe pass backwards and bollock the forwards for lack of movement.

Skyblueweeman

I've re-watched Gyökeres' goal over and over again at 1/4 speed and although O'Hare did all the hard work to get the ball into the box, when it rebounded out to Sheaf, even though he had very little time to react, he deliberately angled his foot and weighted a perfect 2 yard pass to the waiting Gyökeres who he had spotted in space to his left.

A brilliant piece of instinctive play and yet he gets very little credit for his part in the goal. 

I do wish people would get off his back.

Yeah, I get that but, there was this one time when he smiled at Arsenal.

Sooo.....?!

SeaSeeEffCee

You say you wish people would get off his back. I've only seen positive comments about his second half performance. I think everyone can admit him and Hamer were not at their best in the first half. We can all see the ability he has and i'm excited to watch him this season. The only place where people are really getting on his back is the facebook forum but the average IQ on that forum is fairly low
Well I had multiple people around me at that ground moaning about him all game

Gibbo

At the time I thought it a ricochet, but the camera behind the goal makes it look like an instanteous reaction and flick to Gyokeres. In which case it is top quality awareness. He did similar to feed Hamer in to score in a home game last year, can't remember which.

fernandopartridge

At the time I thought it a ricochet, but the camera behind the goal makes it look like an instanteous reaction and flick to Gyokeres. In which case it is top quality awareness. He did similar to feed Hamer in to score in a home game last year, can't remember which.
Yeah I remember that

djr8369

Initially tonight it bounced off him as he tried to control it but maybe you were right. The outside of the foot pass to Ian was sweet as well. He’s got class no doubt. Got caught dallying on the ball a few times last season which unfortunately led to goals and a lot of people only see that. People only watching the highlights are missing a lot of the passes he makes.

fatso

He also played a sublime outside of the boot pass out to the left at one point. Can't remember who it was to, but it shows some of what he has in his locker
It was to Maatsen who cut inside and hit a shot at goal.
I've said before that after taking a time to settle, Sheaf played some sublime passes.
We kept giving the ball away too easily in the first half, Sheaf, Hamer and Gyrokres being equally responsible (but by no means the only ones) once we calmed down we looked a decent team.

Offhegoes

He oozes class, and will only get better. I thought we missed him at the tail end of last season. Need a grafter alongside him, so he can dictate play which is his game. Hamer is not that player, and should be further forward, I would imagine Kelly will be the man when he's fit, allowing Hamer & O'Hare to play as AM's with a lone striker.

Mr Panda

He'll do a number of good things this season that'll go unnoticed because of some mistakes last season.

I'd like to see a stat of errors leading to goal chances and errors leading to goals from last season.

COV

His potential is obvious and he will end up being a very good player, sadly a lot of our fans favour headless chickens.

or even if they patently aren’t a headless chicken they just like a ‘villain’ to boo

Gint11

I think both Hamer and Sheaf have the qualities to get better with more game time and experience.
Hamer is an odd one. Some bad halves followed by good halves. I think He is still getting used to English football. He needs to also kerb the yellows. To do that he needs to read the game better, hopefully that will come.

Sky Blue Pete

Blues equaliser

wingy

I think they're getting used to the pace of a brand new larger pitch when it comes to the passing side of things.

NorthernWisdom

The other thing to say about Sheaf is that he was up in the opposition's box on a few occasions, something Kelly doesn't often do.
He doesn't, although one of the things that Kelly does do is offer a bridge between defence / defensive midfield and the attacking midfield that others maybe haven't all the time. Where Sheaf looks so much better is when he has the confidence to play progressively and / or is given the option to do so. Worth noting when Kelly came in, his first season he was probably sitting too deep, leaving Doyle to try and drive. Given Sheaf's got a better passing range to Kelly, if he progresses the same way this season as Kelly did in the levels below, then we'll have a top midfielder on our hands that'll make the midfield flow so much better.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I noticed Sunday that it was Hamer dropping deep to collect the ball and Shesf playing higher up a lot of the time.

It’s a bugger because a midfield three would be good but then you lose O’Hare (no) or one of the strikers and we don’t really have a striker who excels on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread