Best And Worst Of This World Cup ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

What have you enjoyed and disliked in this tournament ? For me I've liked how its been trouble free seeing we expected loads of aggro from the Russian Ultras, like the fact how its wide open for a "lesser" team to win it, enjoyed some great goals,and when used properly the use of VAR. But dislike the boring Mexican Wave, fans posing when they see themselves on the screens, players rolling around theatrically when just touched, inane waffle by "experts" on panels, and Ian Wright in his crap shirts ! Any more ?

xcraigx

There have been so many fantastic goals and so many shocks. Fantastic.

The diving however is out of control (although not seen too much in the knock out stages so far). Referees not clamping down on it just encourages it more. Has anyone been booked for it yet?

tommydazzle

Yup the writhing around usually clutching the face whatever part of the body was barely contacted drives me nuts. Rather than fair play deciding games when teams are dead level these should be totted up by the VAR team as deciding factors.

Love the fact that in most games teams are going for it and some great goals scored.

ajsccfc

Worst thing: Ryan Giggs' wacky anecdote about Carlos Queiroz calling him Giggs rather than Giggsy or Ryan.

Wales are fucked.

Covstu

Best - open games, good stadiums, no trouble, allowed a beer into the ground!
Worse - So many penalties in normal time (thanks to this new wrestling technique that teams have adopted), poor attendances in early stages, questionable/non consistent use of VAR

Otis

Best - open games, good stadiums, no trouble, allowed a beer into the ground!
Worse - So many penalties in normal time (thanks to this new wrestling technique that teams have adopted), poor attendances in early stages, questionable/non consistent use of VAR
VAR seems to have calmed down a little now don't you think?

At first it was crazy. Maybe it's a coincidence and there just haven't been as many contentious incidents, but it definitely seems to be calmer on that front now.

That Ramos one yesterday showed what a good addition it can and could be, even though that was not given as a pen.

On first look he clearly seems to have been held and a clear pen. Think the vast majority said that on here too. Only on the benefit of the replay and other camera angles can you see that Ramos was doing just as much pulling too and actually turned his man.

Think VAR can be great for those sorts of incidents where clarity is needed.

Best use of it so far has been for the very marginal offsides. Really difficult for a linesman when you are talking mere millimetres.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Without VAR The Germans would probably still be in so yes VAR a good thing.
The amount of Russian supporting England fans has surprised me.

Terry Gibson's perm

Worst timings are crap 7pm is to early.

Worst Suarez I am worried about him he has gone down holding his head with every challenge above the waist does he have concussion?

Best Otis wife must be happy

xcraigx

Worst: People being obsessed with saying "Its coming home" since we beat Tunisia and Panama

We seem to be progressing nicely towards the final without kicking a ball at the moment. By the time tomorrow comes we'll probably be winners.

If ever a team can put on an inexplicably bad performance at totally the worst time then it is England. Nothing is certain, every game is hard and come tomorrow evening it'll be no surprise if the entire team are crap again and Southgate must go blah blah blah.

Moff

Best - open competition, no hooliganism, and impressed by the support that the South American teams have brought.

Worst - diving and cheating, and the fact whenever a penalty is given it takes about five minutes to clear the area.

A special mention to ITV, for bringing Michael from Alan Partridges Travel Tavern back to our screens in the form of Mark Clattenburg...apart from that ITV coverage is shite.

Terry Gibson's perm

Worst the over celebrations on goals all the subs coming on the pitch it takes an age to start again and it’s time lost as it never gets added on

Covstu

VAR seems to have calmed down a little now don't you think?

At first it was crazy. Maybe it's a coincidence and there just haven't been as many contentious incidents, but it definitely seems to be calmer on that front now.

That Ramos one yesterday showed what a good addition it can and could be, even though that was not given as a pen.

On first look he clearly seems to have been held and a clear pen. Think the vast majority said that on here too. Only on the benefit of the replay and other camera angles can you see that Ramos was doing just as much pulling too and actually turned his man.

Think VAR can be great for those sorts of incidents where clarity is needed.

Best use of it so far has been for the very marginal offsides. Really difficult for a linesman when you are talking mere millimetres.
it has settled quite significantly but there seems to be a shroud of mystery in when you can go to the box and when not too. I think where it still isn't good is the pressure the players are putting on the ref to review the decision and as a result the amount of diving and play acting has increased. I think a similar rule to the 'holding up the card' action that happened a few years ago where players cant try and get their opponents booked/sent off, if they applied something similar on VAR we may see this type of action calm down a little.

Covstu

Worst timings are crap 7pm is to early.

Worst Suarez I am worried about him he has gone down holding his head with every challenge above the waist does he have concussion?

Best Otis wife must be happy
the plus side is that England have been extremely lucky on the timings!

Esoterica

The dissent has been just as bad as the diving/faking injury for me and while we've had some amazing individual strikes for goals I think the majority of the actual football has been absolutely tedious.

Mexico manager was absolutely screaming in the 4th officials face during that 2nd half. Disgraceful.

Otis

The dissent has been just as bad as the diving/faking injury for me and while we've had some amazing individual strikes for goals I think the majority of the actual football has been absolutely tedious.

Mexico manager was absolutely screaming in the 4th officials face during that 2nd half. Disgraceful.
Not as disgraceful as this.

Philippines v Australia at basketball. Philippines had 9 players ejected and Australia, 4 and it ended up in a mass brawl.

- Philippines v Australia basketball: Mass brawl at World Cup qualifier

Paul Anthony

Have to agree with regards to Neymar. Some of his antics have been nothing short of embarrassing. Take today. Now I know he had his ankle stood on, but that reaction? The fact he had to take the time to make sure he rolled around the fourth official, screaming like he'd just had his leg blown off. One day the guy is going to have a legitimate nasty injury and nobody will believe it.

tisza

I agree. Some spectacular goals and the few good games have covered over a lot of ordinary play. Player behaviour been poor as have officials handling of it.

CJ_covblaze

The trouble will start when Russia are out unfortunately

I genuinely don’t think it will. Every Russian I’ve met wasn’t expecting to get out of the group stage. They’re happy with what they’ve achieved and anything more is a bonus. Those that do cause trouble wouldn’t not do because they’re winning. Why would their attitude change if they went out in the quarters?

Westendlad

I genuinely don’t think it will. Every Russian I’ve met wasn’t expecting to get out of the group stage. They’re happy with what they’ve achieved and anything more is a bonus. Those that do cause trouble wouldn’t not do because they’re winning. Why would their attitude change if they went out in the quarters?
How many English in the ground tomorrow do you reckon CJ ?

jimmyhillsfanclub

BEST:
The most wide open world cup I can remember.......its clearly is up for grabs as no single team looks particularity superior.

Goals galore......including some absolute belters.

WORST:

VAR.....simply no need for it & I fear for its long term negative implications in the game.

NEYMAR: A class-A whining cheating diving little bitch of a player.......horrible little cry-baby.

Users who are viewing this thread