Bradford match thread (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Need some pace and power, Wilson and Clarke had this in abundance.

Lets hope Pressley has a trump card up his sleeve with the new striker he wants to bring in.

Already confirmed Tudgay is our "big signing" I wouldn't hold your breath for any improvements coming in.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well, in short, I don't think the system suited us. You need a system where you can defend and attack well. Ok, not for the entire 90 minutes; every system will have moments where you might struggle, but today we lacked in too many areas. Up top McQuoid was isolated although overall I thought he did well, and Tudgay was either under his feet or not offering him an option. Midfield didn't wake up until Fleck came on. Defence was poor, Johnson aside. Countless times Webster headed the ball with no direction other than into the air. Clarke to blame for the penalty as if he hadn't put the ball out needlessly as he did, they wouldn't have got the opportunity to get the pen. Not sure who was marking who for the winner (other end of the pitch and the pole got in the way too).

Do expect the usual post match comments from Pressley though.

This may seem all doom and gloom, and I do know its only game 1, but there is a lot of improvements needed!

In the plus side, Johnson has a good chance of being top league goal scorer (not seen any other results yet) :D

junglej13

Today was a very winnable game and Bradford will be in the bottom 6. All they do is hoof it long. We couldnt cope with it last year and we couldnt cope with it this year.

ajsccfc

Where did you get monster odds on a defensively poor third division side conceding a late goal away from home?

Chipfat

We are weaker than last year in every department the lack of depth in quality and experience has to be changed, but its one game in a long season and SP will have to pull some more players in... Lets hope SP has the budget and will he get the quality needed to bolster this squad,, the biggest worry from today is the way we lose goals and games,,, a pattern is forming which is hard to break.. The way we defend puts more pressure to score and without Clarke, Wilson and Moussa we need to start keeping clean sheets to allow us to nick games, instead of playing we will score more than you attitude....

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Look on the bright side lads. We're only 3 points off the top! :claping hands:

nicksig

We were absolutely awful for the second half of last season. Given that we've sold our most creative and attacking players we will hardly have improved. Each season we are getting weaker and slipping that bit further

ajsccfc

We can get the club back on its feet with a fan takeover. About three winning bets at savosdad's bookie ought to do it.

Gint11

It's disappointing to lose any game especially the first but there are positives to take. Worry for me that's another game we have conceded 3. We cannot keep conceding goals. Especially now we have no prolific strikers. We were shipping goals for fun last year with 4 at the back and to go 3-5-2 can be a bad move. I know that formation defensively means 5 at the back but still, its open. I would rather 4-4-2.

skybluepm2

Pressley

"comittment was 1st class"
"a lot of pleasing aspects in our play"
"i thought we could go on a win the game, dissapointed"
"so many poisitves today"
"on this showing, people should be really encouraged"
"without doubt, we should have had a pen"

I must've been watching a different game.. He's the gaffer I suppose. Conceding 3, one in stoppage time 20 seconds after grabbing an undeserved equaliser from our centre half wasn't positive to me. Keeper looks suspect, the wing backs weren't getting into the final 3rd enough (saying that Pugh put in some decent deliveries) Swanson and o'brien who I thought were brought in as wingers to give us width were stifled in centre mid and the front two didnt gel. I could go on but maybe I'm saying things in the heat of the moment because I'm pissed off at having to drive 130 miles back after being let down yet again. Draw a line under it, get 3 quality players in, get us back to the Ricoh and the season could be a lot different!!

LJC_CCFC

It's disappointing to lose any game especially the first but there are positives to take. Worry for me that's another game we have conceded 3. We cannot keep conceding goals. Especially now we have no prolific strikers. We were shipping goals for fun last year with 4 at the back and to go 3-5-2 can be a bad move. I know that formation defensively means 5 at the back but still, its open. I would rather 4-4-2.

Tbh unless you've a) got the players for it and b) fully understand the ins and outs of the system, 5-3-2 can be a difficult formation to master. It often makes you overly defensive and prevents you from having sustained possession in the oppositions half. It seems today that both our goals came from crosses (a corner and a lump into the box) and not necessarily due to creativity from open play, which is worrying. For me 4-4-2 is the way forward for this group of players.

SlowerThanPlatt

Pressley said: "Obviously I'm disappointed with the way that the game ended because the committment of my players today was first class. There were some really pleasing aspects of our play and we showed real determination to get back into the game.

"We put alot of pressure on Bradford in the second half, it finally told and after Reda had scored his second I felt we were going to go on and win the game but to concede so soon affter scoring is something we're going to have to learn from.

"I know people have been concerned about our ability to create the same level of opportunities or play with the same level of excitement as last season and we certainly demonstrated today that we can do both of those. I am pleased with aspects of our performance but at the same time football is about winning games.

"It was a lapse of concentration after getting back into the game and to be fair it was a typical Hanson header. It will be disappointing considering how hard we worked but we can take a great deal from this game and people should be genuinely encouraged."

Pressley went on to say that John Fleck's last minute penalty claim which could have handed City a third equaliser was legitimate and one which did not warrant a caution for simulation but he also added his thoughts on his skipper who became onlyn the seventh player in the club's history to net twice on his debut.

"I said when we signed Reda that he could be a fans' favourite. He's very aggressive in both boxes and he will be a terrific captain for us. I said to him before the start of the season that I think he can get into double figures on the goals front and today was certainly a good start for him."

Users who are viewing this thread