Broadband/dongles/short term fixes (1 Viewer)

Otis

Okay,

So, have been with Virgin. Our contract was up at the end of this month and because of my moving away and divorce, we cancelled the contract.

Trying to switch and chose Plusnet. Only trouble is, when I get to checkout, the first available connection date is 28th Feb. 😱

So, my question is, what can I do for a month? Can you get just a one month contract? Is it worth getting a dongle? Will that cover multiple devices if so? Just thinking my daughter is always on her phone and always using the WiFi.

So not sure what to do.

Any helpful info would be appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about dongles, apart from the one who used to be on here.

Nick

Administrator
You can get a pay as you go sim and put it in a 4g router which then shares the connection over wi-fi.

When I moved I got a sim that was about 25 for unlimited data and put it in a cheap 4g router I got off Amazon.

For basic internet browsing etc it's fine but depending on the signal it might not be the best with multiple people using it for 4k Netflix.

Otis

I can see 1 month contracts, but they seem to have a set up cost of around £60 plus

Otis

You can get a pay as you go sim and put it in a 4g router which then shares the connection over wi-fi.

When I moved I got a sim that was about 25 for unlimited data and put it in a cheap 4g router I got off Amazon.

For basic internet browsing etc it's fine but depending on the signal it might not be the best with multiple people using it for 4k Netflix.
Cheers.

Otis

For basic internet browsing etc it's fine but depending on the signal it might not be the best with multiple people using it for 4k Netflix
Would I need to buy a router too then?

All my Virgin equipment is being shut off at the end of Jan

SkyBlueScottie

Depending on your mobile it might be worth adding to your data package and tethering from that. In terms of the go live dates. Openreach are massively behind. Hemce the date you were given.

Sick Boy

I got one of those dongle things 10 years ago as a temporary solution and it did the job well enough; I wouldn’t fancy it as something long-term though.

Otis

Yes.

I think I still have one somewhere. But it's at least 15-20 years old, so probably wouldn't be any good now.

Probably be a -1g or something.

2mbs. 🤷

stay_up_skyblues

When we moved I just used the hotspot on my iPhone pending Sky installing the broadband. A work one so no need to worry about data limits. It was fine for working and running two iPads at same time (including Netflix and sky go). You just want to make sure 1) you have a good 4/5g signal where you are and 2) speak with your mobile provider and buy a some data up front.

You should be able to ensure that they can put a cap on usage so you don’t go over as that’s when it gets expensive. I pay £35 a month for my daughter’s newish iPhone with 100g of data so I’m sure you can get a good deal.

Or even just buy a pay as you go SIM card with a large amount of data on it… I’m sure I’ve seen 50g for less than £20 a month top up.

Otis

Cheers.

What about from a laptop though? To get WiFi on there. Not sure how to go about it and my daughter wants to use her laptop.

Not a problem for me, as I would just use my phone only.

shmmeee

Cheers.

What about from a laptop though? To get WiFi on there. Not sure how to go about it and my daughter wants to use her laptop.

Your phone hotspot should be joinable by any WiFi device. I use mine with my laptop when I’ve got internet issues.

Depending on your provider and contract you may be able to ask for a month of unlimited data.

chiefdave

Trying to switch and chose Plusnet. Only trouble is, when I get to checkout, the first available connection date is 28th Feb.
Is that because you need an engineer out or because your phone line has a hold on it by Virgin?

When I moved into my house I tried to get my Sky Broadband moved across but they said they couldn't install it for weeks as the phone line hadn't been released. Phoned BT and they sent someone out the same week, installed a new line, took out the old one as it was never going to be used (basically saving himself the effort of actually physically running a new cable in) and I was online weeks before Sky claimed was the earliest possible date.

Otis

Is that because you need an engineer out or because your phone line has a hold on it by Virgin?

When I moved into my house I tried to get my Sky Broadband moved across but they said they couldn't install it for weeks as the phone line hadn't been released. Phoned BT and they sent someone out the same week, installed a new line, took out the old one as it was never going to be used (basically saving himself the effort of actually physically running a new cable in) and I was online weeks before Sky claimed was the earliest possible date.
Yeah, it's waiting for an engineer. My Virgin stops at the end o the month and then I have a month's gap until my Plusnet it connected.

Sbarcher

We moved into a new build earlier this year and it took a while for BT to switch us live. In the meantime, they sent me a dongle type thing to plug into the phone line, and then a flying wire to my pc. As Plusnet is part of BT, is this option offered by them?

fernandopartridge

Okay,

So, have been with Virgin. Our contract was up at the end of this month and because of my moving away and divorce, we cancelled the contract.

Trying to switch and chose Plusnet. Only trouble is, when I get to checkout, the first available connection date is 28th Feb. 😱

So, my question is, what can I do for a month? Can you get just a one month contract? Is it worth getting a dongle? Will that cover multiple devices if so? Just thinking my daughter is always on her phone and always using the WiFi.

So not sure what to do.

Any helpful info would be appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about dongles, apart from the one who used to be on here.

Dongles are pretty cheap, why not just get one per device?

PVA

Moved house last year and had no internet for a couple of months so bought a 4g router from o2 with a rolling monthly SIM card. Wasn't lightning fast but did the job.

Originally got one from Vodafone because it was cheaper but the signal was rubbish so the internet was very slow. There was a 14 day cooling off period so could return it for no charge.

If you're not sure what you're looking for pop into an o2 or EE shop and they'll sort you out.

stay_up_skyblues

Cheers.

Your phone basically becomes a router for as many devices as you want to connect. Course it’s running off 4/5g so it won’t be lightening fast but will perform on a par with a dongle.
And your phone will need to be relatively close to her laptop. Or you could buy her data for her phone and do the same thing.

With your hotspot switched on, your phone shows up on nearby devices as an internet connection. Your phone will give you a password and you just connect as you would to a wifi router.

Otis

Your phone hotspot should be joinable by any WiFi device. I use mine with my laptop when I’ve got internet issues.

Depending on your provider and contract you may be able to ask for a month of unlimited data.
Cool.

Otis

Your phone basically becomes a router for as many devices as you want to connect. Course it’s running off 4/5g so it won’t be lightening fast but will perform on a par with a dongle.
And your phone will need to be relatively close to her laptop. Or you could buy her data for her phone and do the same thing.

With your hotspot switched on, your phone shows up on nearby devices as an internet connection. Your phone will give you a password and you just connect as you would to a wifi router.
That's fab. Sounds perfect. Thanks 👍

stay_up_skyblues

That's fab. Sounds perfect. Thanks 👍

Just to reiterate the point, if you’re on contract, be sure to buy data up front and put a spend cap on your tarrif. On Vodafone it takes one phone call or a few minutes in the app. DO NOT just rack up data over and above your contracted amount. You’ll have to sell your car to pay the retrospective bill.

Otis

Just to reiterate the point, if you’re on contract, be sure to buy data up front and put a spend cap on your tarrif. On Vodafone it takes one phone call or a few minutes in the app. DO NOT just rack up data over and above your contracted amount. You’ll have to sell your car to pay the retrospective bill.
Yes, cheers for that.

I have decided that I may just go for a pay as you go sim, something like Smarty. A one off 30 day contract. Stick that sim in my tablet and then that protects my phone data and I can fluctuate between the both of them.

That all sound sensible? I have 15gb of data on my mobile per month. May well be enough, but thought of I use a 10gb pay as you go sim until that runs out, I will have a much better idea of where I am and a fair chunk of the month will be eaten into too then hopefully.

RegTheDonk

As an asside Otis, did Virgin try calling you back after you'd cancelled, to try and get you to stay? Friend at work is going to cancel Virgin at the end of the month as he's paying too much and they won't offer him a decent discount. His logic is - once he finally cancels, they'll probably get in touch and offer him a better deal.

On your issue, similar to others - I use my phone as a "hotspot" when I'm away from home, it works well with 3 to my tablet.

stay_up_skyblues

Yes, cheers for that.

I have decided that I may just go for a pay as you go sim, something like Smarty. A one off 30 day contract. Stick that sim in my tablet and then that protects my phone data and I can fluctuate between the both of them.

That all sound sensible? I have 15gb of data on my mobile per month. May well be enough, but thought of I use a 10gb pay as you go sim until that runs out, I will have a much better idea of where I am and a fair chunk of the month will be eaten into too then hopefully.

Absolutely mate.

Nick

Administrator
Yes, cheers for that.

You can always add more data if needed

Otis

As an asside Otis, did Virgin try calling you back after you'd cancelled, to try and get you to stay? Friend at work is going to cancel Virgin at the end of the month as he's paying too much and they won't offer him a decent discount. His logic is - once he finally cancels, they'll probably get in touch and offer him a better deal.

On your issue, similar to others - I use my phone as a "hotspot" when I'm away from home, it works well with 3 to my tablet.
Yup. They must have rang me 12 or 13 times.

First time I answered, but was at the hospital visiting my dad, so I couldn't speak to them and told them to call me back later.

As soon as I left the hospital I blocked them. It's their retention team trying to get you to stay with them.

Otis

Cheers for all the advice, everyone.

I had no idea about hotspots at all, so that was new for me and I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

😎

vow

We do the "threaten to cancel/Retention team call you back" merry go round every year (or 18 months) with Virgin Media, Reg.

best to start the cancelation a 30 days before your contract runs out. DO NOT take thier first offer when they call you back 9unless its a good one!

we've been paying £39 per month for around 5 years now by playing hardball with them...they want your custom!

250Mb Broadband
Maxit TV with Tivo box (all channels plus BT sports, NO Sky sports or movies)
Phoneline (home) talk free at weekends (hardly gets used tbh but comes with the package)

Last edited:

Otis

We do the "threaten to cancel/Retention team call you back" merry go round every year (or 18 months) with Virgin Media, Reg.

best to start the cancelation a 30 days before your contract runs out. DO NOT take thier first offer when they call you back 9unless its a good one!

we've been paying £39 per month for around 5 years now by playing hardball with them...they want your custom!

250Mb Broadband
Maxit TV with Tivo box (all channels plus BT sports, NO Sky sports or movies)
Phoneline (home) talk free at weekends (hardly gets used tbh but comes with the package)
Yeah, I always told them I didn't want the landline, but they always insisted. We never, ever used it.

I wanted just the sports channels and no movies, but they wouldn't do it. Or at least said they couldn't do it. Very annoying.

Reactions: vow

shmmeee

Yeah I got the deal with Virgin from their retention team. Was about three weeks after I’d cancelled I think they rang me and gave me a really good deal, so good I actually cancelled the alternative I was in the cool off period with. Apparently that’s standard and the people on the phone when you call don’t have permission to offer you the decent deals n

Otis

Okay, so as an update, I used a spare phone and got a Smarty SIM card. Used that for a WiFi hotspot.

Now however, I am looking to get WiFi at my dad's house. He's in hospital in Coventry and looks like he might be going into a home.

So, I am travelling up from Kent twice a week to see him and was looking at using his house as a temporary base when I am up here, because it's an 11 hour round trip.

Instead of using a phone (leaving it there to discharge, or keeping it plugged in, or having to switch it off and on again), is there a simple plug in WiFi option that takes a SIM card? Is that actually a thing?

My daughter would use the house on occasion too (when she falls out with the mad Russian, which is quite often at present)

I obviously could just keep using the phone, but I just wondered if there is anything more permanent out there that uses a SIM card.

Users who are viewing this thread