'Browns' in Cov City Centre (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
What would happen if it was a muslim, a gay couple etc?

LastGarrison

This lastest insult to our fine Citys name?

Mate, Cov is a shithole. It is not a fine city. I was born and brought up in Aldermoor.

Travel a bit.
As you say though you were brought up in the Aldermoor so let's be honest even a Somalian slum is going to be a step up from there.

Tad

As you say though you were brought up in the Aldermoor so let's be honest even a Somalian slum is going to be a step up from there.

He's right. As a city, Cov is pretty shit. The council completely overcharge us, the towns full of crappy pound shops and lacks any real structure and everyone seems moody all the time - there ALWAYS seems to be one drunk or complete chavy idiot that annoys everyone where ever you go too. The City has really fallin behind with the rest of the UK in the standard of living. The sooner they stop allowing people to live off benefits for life, the better this country and this city would be.

I can't stand the hassle of going abroad on holiday, so I usually stay in different places all over the UK for a few weeks. Coventry is lacking so much it's just unreal.

Last edited:

LastGarrison

He's right. As a city, Cov is pretty shit. The council completely overcharge us, the towns full of crappy pound shops and lacks any real structure and everyone seems moody all the time - there ALWAYS seems to be one drunk or complete chavy idiot that annoys everyone where ever you go too. The City has really fallin behind with the rest of the UK in the standard of living. The sooner they stop allowing people to live off benefits for life, the better this country and this city would be.

I can't stand the hassle of going abroad on holiday, so I usually stay in different places all over the UK for a few weeks. Coventry is lacking so much it's just unreal.

Absolute bollocks and that's just the cynical outlook a lot of people have who live in this City.

I've travelled a good bit and believe me Cov is no-where near the worst place to live either in the UK or abroad. In fact as opposed to what Bobby F said I found that travelling opened my eyes to the positives about our City and what we actually have on our doorstep.

Don't get me wrong it has negative points and you are correct in that the shopping in particular is poor but we have some beautiful places, attractions and a lot to be proud of.

Like any City it has it's rough areas but what major city doesn't? And Coventry is far from the only city, town or even village that has drunk, "chavvy" people around.

People are too quick to slag off their home town, and this is the case with a lot of people and their own cities not just Cov, because they have lived here all their lives and are "used" to the good things and just concentrate solely on the negatives.

As Bobby F says, get out there, travel and you will find that there are a lot of places that are better than Cov. But you will also find a hell of a lot of places that are worse.....

Tad

Absolute bollocks and that's just the cynical outlook a lot of people have who live in this City.

I've travelled a good bit and believe me Cov is no-where near the worst place to live either in the UK or abroad. In fact as opposed to what Bobby F said I found that travelling opened my eyes to the positives about our City and what we actually have on our doorstep.

Don't get me wrong it has negative points and you are correct in that the shopping in particular is poor but we have some beautiful places, attractions and a lot to be proud of.

Like any City it has it's rough areas but what major city doesn't? And Coventry is far from the only city, town or even village that has drunk, "chavvy" people around.

People are too quick to slag off their home town, and this is the case with a lot of people and their own cities not just Cov, because they have lived here all their lives and are "used" to the good things and just concentrate solely on the negatives.

As Bobby F says, get out there, travel and you will find that there are a lot of places that are better than Cov. But you will also find a hell of a lot of places that are worse.....

We'll have to agree to disagree. Cause despite living in other places in the UK, I find Coventry to be quite crap. Whenever I go anywhere else there's more to do, more to see and nicer people. Your right, some areas of any city are rough, but this place seems to have more rough then good.

Note: I never said Cov was the worst place to live, it's just falling behind and lacks quality.

Last edited:

LastGarrison

We'll have to agree to disagree. Cause despite living in other places in the UK, I find Coventry to be quite crap. Whenever I go anywhere else there's more to do, more to see and nicer people. Your right, some areas of any city are rough, but this place seems to have more rough then good.

Note: I never said Cov was the worst place to live, it's just falling behind and lacks quality.

There is no right or wrong answer it is all about opinions and I respect yours.

However, I just feel that Cov isn't a "shithole" as was originally put and actually has a lot of positives that some people who live here either take for granted or completely ignore.

Cov, for me, has bottomed out and it was certainly a worse place a few years back but I actually think we are now making strides forward and we will continue to see improvements over the next few years.

Yorkshire SB

Why should people not be allowed in wearing a uniform? It is a disrespectful policy to any persons wearing a uniform, not just soldiers. People from all walks should be and are, rising against this discriminative and disrectful policy.

The apology is nowhere near enough, they should scrap the no-Uniform policy immediately.

As for donating £5 to charity, what has that got to do with a bar disrespecting grieving soldiers? Nothing at all. If anyone should be donating to charity then it's Mr Brown.

Well I've not actually said I agree with such a policy, but it is a very common policy that operates in many bars nationwide. The British Army actually encourage such policies as it prevents any incidences arising that could discredit the army in any way. I don't know if you're being deliberately ignorant, but to suggest that this policy is deliberately discriminatory is ridiculous. Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the policy and certainly don't agree with said situation, there is no way it is a policy that sets out to be discriminatory or disrespectful.

Well the charity was set up by the soldier who died's family and is there to help the children of those who have died whilst in the armed forces. The point being that if people feel so strongly about this, and are prepared to send death threats to the staff and owner of the bar, then surely a more constructive reaction to this would be to donate something to the charity that is so close to the soldiers in question.

B

Bobby Firenze

Got any examples of "some beautiful places, attractions and a lot to be proud of"?

There's the cathedral (which I think looks like a big brick), and the Herbert is a bit rubbish.

I'm proud to say I'm from Cov but it doesn't stop it being a shithole.

As someone said above, the town planners did far more damage than the Germans.

LastGarrison

Got any examples of "some beautiful places, attractions and a lot to be proud of"?

There's the cathedral (which I think looks like a big brick), and the Herbert is a bit rubbish.

I'm proud to say I'm from Cov but it doesn't stop it being a shithole.

As someone said above, the town planners did far more damage than the Germans.

Off the top of my head......

The Cathedrals, various nice churches, the Transport Museum, Herbert Art Gallery, Midland Air Museum, the place by the Cathedral that Time Team dug up, Spon Street, Lady Godiva, Peeping Tom and Sir Frank Whittle statues, Memorial Park, The Godiva Festival, Allesley Park, two thriving Universities, various pubs, restaurants and nightclubs. The Belgrave. Warwick Arts Centre. The Ricoh Arena.

We've plenty of history in terms of manufacturing, cars, watch making, etc. Professional Sports Teams in Football, Rugby, Ice Hockey, Speedway. Gold medal winners, English internationals and Rugby World Cup winners.

If you want anymore try Wiki I'm sure there's loads I've missed......

LastGarrison is spot on.
I've lived in a few places in the UK over the last 15-20 years and in that time I've realised Coventry isn't so bad. There's so much worse out there.
If you asked 10 people from Coventry, their thoughts, 9 would probably say the place is shite. Probably 8 of the 9 wouldn't have been any further afield than Nuneaton.
Its just easier to moan about the place than praise it.

ccfctommy

There's over 100,000 in this group now including me and a work colleague of mine even though we never joined! Hmmmmmm...

Macca

There is no right or wrong answer it is all about opinions and I respect yours.

However, I just feel that Cov isn't a "shithole" as was originally put and actually has a lot of positives that some people who live here either take for granted or completely ignore.

Cov, for me, has bottomed out and it was certainly a worse place a few years back but I actually think we are now making strides forward and we will continue to see improvements over the next few years.

I agree entirely with this. Coventry isn t great but it's a million times better than it was when I was growing up. It was easily rougher and uglier in the 80 s. I d say compared to other major cities it is quite safe now. Shootings or knivings are less frequent than you would see in London, Brum, Manchester, Liverpool etc. The town is safer than it ever was at night. As far as " chavs" are concerned, there is no city, town or village free of that scourge. I ve been to many small market towns that you d perceive as genteel to find them more like the wild west and there being just as much chance of getting a slap as in Cov. Summer riots? There were more problems in Gloucester than coventry. All in all, an unexciting but relatively decent place to live IMO

RedSalmon

Have never understood how this bar has ben allowed to operate such an arbitary door policy over the years!! It's basically, "If we don't like the look of you for what ever reason, you ain't coming in". Only in Coventry would such an attitude from a bar owner be tolerated. Would this be accepted in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle? Probably not as the punters would stay away in droves!!
Had a night out in The Establishment last night and was very impressed. Nice building, friendly door staff, decent prices and fairly quick service at the bar. There needs to be a few more bars of this type in the centre.

WillieStanley

What I don't like about this is that people seem to have waited years to get revenge on that time they weren't dressed quite "cool" enough to get served in Browns or the Dog and as soon as something morally questionable has occured, it turns into an episode of South Park.

Browns have every right to enforce an entrance policy. There are too many bars where there is a hostile environment purely due to the clientel.

They were wrong to refuse these people on this occassion, but before you post about boycotts, disgrace and hate, think about whether you are angry because of this or whether it's because it was you that got turned away for not wearing a pork pie hat in 2003.

LastGarrison

Gloucester, now there is a shit hole!

Have to agree.

Booked a weekend in Cheltenham for my missus' birthday a few years back and ventured into Gloucester for the day. Got speaking to a local smack head, as you do, and even he asked me what the fuck I was doing there!!!

The town centre was deserted and run down. Nice cathedral though.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Have you seen his apology?
Anyway I have my own issue with Browns but I hope to they go bust.

Users who are viewing this thread