Callum O'Hare Replacement (1 Viewer)

harvey098

Isn't it a bit odd that we didn't look at a replacement last summer? Considering they likely knew there was a good chance he'd be off, and that would have given a replacement longer to slot in and get up to speed.

Think this is a view with the benefit of hindsight. A lot of our fans on here didn’t even want to offer him a new contract 6 months ago because they thought he was a risk.

shmmeee

It only makes sense if he is CoH's replacement. Wright is very expensive and good on the left. Saka is clearly top man on the right. Rotating three of these makes little sense to me. He must be in the first team, but so must Wright and Saka.

Or Wright plays as a ST like he has most of his career. I do think people need to get out of the idea of a first and second team, the minutes played this season suggest anything but. This is our most played team (with some liberties taken on positions):

Wilson
MvE Thomas Latibeaudiere Dasilva
Eccles Sheaf
Simms Sakamoto Wright
Godden

Half that team you’d call second string.

Gibbo

Or Wright plays as a ST like he has most of his career. I do think people need to get out of the idea of a first and second team, the minutes played this season suggest anything but. This is our most played team (with some liberties taken on positions):

Wilson
MvE Thomas Latibeaudiere Dasilva
Eccles Sheaf
Simms Sakamoto Wright
Godden

Half that team you’d call second string.
There has been so much evidence so far that Wright is half the player as a central striker than if he is on the left. Anyway surely Simms for Striker?

shmmeee

There has been so much evidence so far that Wright is half the player as a central striker than if he is on the left. Anyway surely Simms for Striker?

I think it’ll depend on who fit and on form and well need them all plus at least one more IMO.

Hertsccfc

No there hasn't. Wright's been fine in the centre but we have no real attacking options in the left.

Astute

No there hasn't. Wright's been fine in the centre but we have no real attacking options in the left.
Palmer on the left?

Wright is a strange one. Plays his best games on the left then cutting in. Plays some great crosses in from the left. When he plays through the middle there seems to be something missing. Lack of composure in the middle? Needs to bulk up a little to play in the middle?

Look at our last game. Player to the left of him unmarked. He went for the shot that went well over. Maybe we will have to wait until next season to see the best of him. But there is certainly a very good player in him.

Calista

Tats has been brilliant at times on the wing, amazing workrate and two-footed. He's also shown great technique, awareness and an ability to weight passes perfectly. Wouldn't be a shabby No. 10 IMO, and next year we'll have EMC who can play wide.

wingy

Palmer on the left?

Wright is a strange one. Plays his best games on the left then cutting in. Plays some great crosses in from the left. When he plays through the middle there seems to be something missing. Lack of composure in the middle? Needs to bulk up a little to play in the middle?

Look at our last game. Player to the left of him unmarked. He went for the shot that went well over. Maybe we will have to wait until next season to see the best of him. But there is certainly a very good player in him.
Which one,the one where he gave the ball but then appeared to to take a return intended for for someone else?

slowpoke

Palmer on the left?

Expendable ?

Sick Boy

Palmer was given a three year deal when we signed him, Robins likes him I see no reason why he wouldn't be here
He’s recently changed agent, so expecting him to be off. Especially as I’d like to think he’d only be a squad player after next summer’s recruitment.

Last edited:

Astute

Which one,the one where he gave the ball but then appeared to to take a return intended for for someone else?
The one where he had made the chance for himself but had players in front of him and we had a player to the left of him unmarked.

I'm all for players having a shit in goal but if someone is unmarked in front of goal?

Astute

He’s recently changed agent, so expecting him to be off. Especially as I’d like to think he’d only be a squad player after next summer’s recruitment.
He's under contract so would expect a fee for him if he leaves.

Would like him to stay but if we receive a fee for him I trust Robins to use it wisely and attempt getting an upgrade with it. We don't need a near full team like we did before this season so will be looking more for players that complement what we already have.

Boicey

Calum will be a huge loss. Just gives us some unpredictability and join up; and now goals as well.
Palmer is too slow to do it. I doubt Sakamoto has the passing ability.
So it’ll have to be someone new. Probably our most expensive buy of the summer.

mmttww

I'm all for players having a shit in goal...

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

stevefloyd

It only makes sense if he is CoH's replacement. Wright is very expensive and good on the left. Saka is clearly top man on the right. Rotating three of these makes little sense to me. He must be in the first team, but so must Wright and Saka.
The only problem I have with Saka, albeit a tiny one, is he gets knocked off the ball easy at times, after a year with us I would guess they would be feeding him steak or something to strengthen him a little more. If and when O'Hare goes he will be a big miss because of his energy and link up play although he does look more angry when he's playing so hopefully he is just wound up to play and not angry at the fans....be gutted to lose him on a free though

Mcbean

A lot can happen between now and the beginning of next season - think about it - could change Callum’s mind

Boicey

A lot can happen between now and the beginning of next season - think about it - could change Callum’s mind
I suspect not many would change their mind if the were offered 3 times their salary elsewhere. Which is quite likely.

Gibbo

Palmer was given a three year deal when we signed him, Robins likes him I see no reason why he wouldn't be here
Does he like him or is all we have? I caught the highlights of Millwall last year and twice he rampaged up the centre to lay off to Vik. Where has that player gone? He is more disciplined now, but less dynamic.

If you are thinking Automatics then Palmer is OK as a squad player - and finding squad players to bring in is quite difficult, so having one already is not bad

skybluecam

I’d guess we’d line up first game of next season

sakamoto palmer EMC
Wright
Saka EMC Wright
Simms

But as has been said, it's a squad game. Wright and Sakamoto are undoubtedly our first choice on the left/right now yet they've only started there together something like twice since the new year. Palmer has played loads of minutes despite not being first choice in any position.

Astute

Saka EMC Wright
Simms

But as has been said, it's a squad game. Wright and Sakamoto are undoubtedly our first choice on the left/right now yet they've only started there together something like twice since the new year. Palmer has played loads of minutes despite not being first choice in any position.
The problem we seem to have is both Wright and Palmer have had their best games on the left running at the defenders. Great when one is out or when fresh legs are needed but not best when you want both on at the same time.

We're a work in progress. Will see what Robins has planned. 6th and most probably in the QF of the FA Cup. More than satisfactory so far.

Sick Boy

Does he like him or is all we have? I caught the highlights of Millwall last year and twice he rampaged up the centre to lay off to Vik. Where has that player gone? He is more disciplined now, but less dynamic.

If you are thinking Automatics then Palmer is OK as a squad player - and finding squad players to bring in is quite difficult, so having one already is not bad
He’s probably worth keeping until the end of his contract but I wouldn’t renew it and I’m sure he’ll have asked his agent to try and get him a move next summer.

CovLad94

EMC isn't a 10, was signed to play on the wing, if Callum goes, which he most likely will we will be in the market for a 10, Palmer will be in the same boat as Godden is this season, the squad will improve around him and will phase out, he will still be here though I reckon

shmmeee

EMC isn't a 10, was signed to play on the wing, if Callum goes, which he most likely will we will be in the market for a 10, Palmer will be in the same boat as Godden is this season, the squad will improve around him and will phase out, he will still be here though I reckon

Palmer is great as an option from the bench and cover, it’s when you want him to play 25+ games a season the problems arise. He’s easily got the quality. I think Allen will be the victim. Has a year plus an option left and will probably be fourth in line at AM and fifth in line at CM.

Cally Fedora

Palmer doesn’t have enough regular end product to be factored in as a regular starter - talented though he is. O’Hare will be off so will need replacing. I imagine we’ll dig someone out of Scandinavia or mainland Europe.

Astute

Do some people expect an O'Hare replacement like for like?

Just like when some expected a Gyokeres replacement and a Hamer replacement. Players of this calibre go for a lot of money because they are a one off. If they were easy to find most sides would have one.

O'Hare will be replaced if he leaves. Hopefully it will be by a player who has something different that gives us an edge. But don't hold your breath whilst waiting for a like for like replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread