Match Thread Cardiff City (A) (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

The only positive for me last night was Bidwell doesnt as look as bad as I thought I think he looked pretty solid. A bit better.

PVA

Why can't we afford it. We've got above average attendances, record season ticket sales and, apparently, the best deal we've ever had at the arena?

People delighted with the ownership cos we used to play Exeter though.

Firstly, I never said I was delighted with the ownership.

Secondly, I don't think you realise how expensive it is to have 23 championship quality players. There aren't many teams in this league who have that.

We can get there, but it needs more than 2 seasons in the league. We've already improved the squad massively since last season.

People want to click their fingers and have a squad of 23 championship level players. Ain't gonna happen.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think people are being harsh on him TBH, he got it on target and with power and the keeper did well. Our problem was we didn’t create anything like enough. And that’s mostly down to having Shipley in the team and no Hamer.

Well no if it was either side of the keeper it goes in. But you’re right, it was about the only clear chance created so it gets most of the scrutiny.

The problem as has been painfully clear for a while is the lack of cutting edge and we did nothing about it when we had the chance.

slowpoke

I think people are being harsh on him TBH, he got it on target and with power and the keeper did well. Our problem was we didn’t create anything like enough. And that’s mostly down to having Shipley in the team and no Hamer.
Agree Can’t criticise Gyo for that did everything right 6 inches either the keeper it’s a goal.

Hobo

We had a cross put a sitter on a plate and Gyo just goes straight at the keeper. McF has a glorious chance from the corner with time and space but can't even get it on target.

It's a meme

One over 90 minutes. Their striker had two good opportunities in first half and was subbed before half time.

They scored twice in the second half. When they atteacked they looked far more threatening than us. Despite all our possession in the first half it was like a day off for their two centre backs.

Sky Blue Harry H

Are you going to do the double over us on Saturday?

They have an excellent chance based on potential energy levels. If we don't score the first goal, I think it looks nailed on. Need a scruffy goal, or MR to shake things up a bit - although he is likely to have limited options,

Hobo

What does Robins see to think a half fit Waghorn who is slow when fully fit is going to trouble those Cardiff defenders more than a bit of pace?

At 1-0 down what did we have to lose by throwing somebody on who's eager to impress? Nah lets swap full backs.

For me it didnt matter who we had or didnt have up front. It was the none existant quality ball into the box.

We managed one over 90 mins. You can argue all daylong whether he should of scored or not - but he got it on target and forced the keeper into a very good save.

I think the keeper got lucky - like ours with the shot first half from the lad that got subbed.

Our passing game is brilliant. But we dont know how or when to deliver the final ball.

If you play wide (and I have) you know the ball should come to you. You can often cross with your first touch. Take the centre halfs by suprise. Cross from a deeper angle you dont always have to get round the back of a defence.

But no our players want a touch - opportunity gone. They want to telegraph a sliding pass down the outside of their FB/WB, opportunity gone.

We are just too predictable and safe in the final third.

Hobo

Yes, it does feel a bit inevitable. It's also fair to say that some of our stars eg Gyok and O'Hare were not necessarily purchased as part of any masterplan just loan signings we were able to make permanent.

And that is typical of football - you pick players up when you can and within your budget..

Good signings can pancake and average signings can blossom. It is why the January transfer window is so difficult. Everyone knows what they need - but no one wants to sell unless at an inflated price.

So, you either gamble by paying over the odds or gamble by going cheap and cheerful on someone who has hardly played all season?

We all know to progress we need to upgrade on the likes of Shipley and Allen. But we could easily pay a small fee, pay more in wages and end up with pretty much the same quality?

Team building isn't easiy, especially with a club like Coventry (and we are just one of the majority) when you know you have to sell your best players at some stage.

Football is largely a confidence game built around teamwork, as much as skill. I have lost count of young players who looked good at Liverpool and Manchester United in the first team but getting limited opportunity. Moved on and looked very ordinary.

Grendel

Do you know what the situation with Jones is - is it as simple as the manager doesn’t think he can contribute?

it’s bizarre - people drone on about Tavares but surely he should have some game time. The season is pretty much dead now - if he doesn’t play him it’s a bit odd

SlowerThanPlatt

it’s bizarre - people drone on about Tavares but surely he should have some game time. The season is pretty much dead now - if he doesn’t play him it’s a bit odd

3 seasons of not playing due to injury now fit and 58 league minutes all season. Whatever he’s on it’s a waste of the budget

pusbccfc

Where's Bapaga? Thought we recalled him?

For me, he's more a player I'd like to try ahead of Taveres.

shmmeee

And you know that how?

Well either Robins and Boddy are lying about the budget and running us light for kicks, or that’s the case. I’m going Occam’s Razor here.

Our problem is we can’t put out a match day squad of fit players of the required level. That’s why we started Kane who isn’t fully fit, why we have no options to change the game, why we have no one to come in for Hamer.

As has been said this is abnormal, we use fewer players and make fewer subs than other teams at this level. Are you claiming this is a choice from Robins and Joy is sat there chequebook open wondering why we aren’t signing anyone?

Hobo

I dont necessarily think the season is dead despite last nights disapointing performance.

However winning at home is essential back up with consistent away draws or a win in one of three away games. A run needs to be put together March to Easter. We need to get some momentum back.

I agree, not convinced Tavares is ready or the answer?

Also agree on Jones. He is no worse than Allen or Shipley so may as well chuck him into the mix of squad rotation and game time? Shipley has 60 mins in his tank, with Eccles injured so I don't understand why Jones isn't given a chance?

SlowerThanPlatt

I dont necessarily think the season is dead despite last nights disapointing performance.

However winning at home is essential back up with consistent away draws or a win in one of three away games. A run needs to be put together March to Easter. We need to get some momentum back.

Also agree on Jones. He is no worse than Allen or Shipley so may as well chuck him into the mix of squad rotation and game time? Shipley has 60 mins in his tank, with Eccles injured aI don't understand why Jones isn't given a chance?

At this point can only assume there’s a personal issue between Jones and MR. I know he’s missed a couple of games because had to isolate

clint van damme

Did they pick the formation and substitutions last night?

No, but their actions have a massive effect on what Robins can do.
That doesn't mean he doesn't make wrong calls but he's hampered what he's got to work with.

Last edited:

better days

Also agree on Jones. He is no worse than Allen or Shipley so may as well chuck him into the mix of squad rotation and game time? Shipley has 60 mins in his tank, with Eccles injured so I don't understand why Jones isn't given a chance?
Perhaps because two of the subs last night were contractual obligations and the other was a senior player who had been making waves about not playing?
Purely speculation of course

Users who are viewing this thread