CCFC Letter to Planners / Council (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...-alan-higgs-centre-coventry-city-3236199.aspx

There is a full letter to CCC planning on the offal as well as this statement I've copied below.

Update on the club's stance after the Coventry City Council Planning Committee meeting's decision...

The club would like to keep supporters updated following Coventry City Council Planning Committee meeting on August 4th, at which the application by Wasps to develop a Training Centre at the Higgs Centre was discussed.

We would like to highlight the following points:

Our Concern: Our concern regarding the application by Wasps is to ensure that the proposals do not displace our academy at the Alan Higgs Centre and that the crucial Category 2 status can be maintained.

Summary: Now that the unanimous decision has been taken by members of the Planning Committee to defer a decision on the application pending the resolution of the concerns raised by Sport England, we hope that all parties can work together to ensure that all necessary information can be produced and any issues arising can be discussed to enable Sport England to take a position on the application.

The Issue At Hand: As set out in the recommendation to the Council Planning Committee, the issue that has to be addressed is as follows:

"Sport England – further comments have been received but Sport England still believe that there is insufficient information to allow them to understand how the site will be used in the future and the potential impact on the Academy and therefore they consider they are unable to make an informed judgement as to whether the proposal meets their Policy Exception E5 and as such recommend that the application is deferred. They require information on what facilities will be available and at what times, what facilities are required and at what times for the Academy to maintain their Category 2 Academy Status, how the users of the site will work together in the future and during construction works, and the relocation of the current sporting use on site and the impact of this on the Academy."

What We Have Done: We have written to the Council to say that we would be extremely happy to cooperate fully with all relevant parties to ensure that Sport England has all necessary information about the football academy and its Category 2 status. We have previously provided this information to Coventry Sport Foundation (CSF) but we are more than happy to sit down with all parties and discuss how the facilities at the Alan Higgs Centre can be programmed in order to allow Wasps to develop its training academy without displacing the football academy or threatening its Category 2 status.

Going Forward: We were pleased to see that the Chief Executive of CSF, Paul Breed, has confirmed in his email to David Armstrong (28th July) that CSF agrees that further dialogue should take place to determine the programming of facilities at the Centre, so it seems that everyone is now in agreement that this important process should indeed proceed. We are pleased to say that both the FA and the Football League are lending their full support to this process and have confirmed their intent in taking part in the discussions.

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...oventry-city-3236199.aspx#EdEATehJBKYEeqcQ.99

Nick

Administrator
So they all need to be called out, get a meeting with Sport England, the FA there etc. Minute it, get a bloke off the tv there doing sign language for it, film it.

Dont let them out until it is sorted 1 way or another.

Bruce the Boot

Blimey , Sisu co operating , thats worrying , There will be a twist dont worry , just more PR from the club ;)

Bruce the Boot

I know your ever the optimist Nick , and your right about "calling them out" trouble is the other partys wont want to get too deep as Sisu have a habit of (trying) to batter people in court , I say watch this space .............. ;)

stupot07

Quite clever from the club. After asking CSF what facilities would be available in writing and getting no response, using the sport England angle to force this information out of the them. Then if/when they can't accommodate the whole academy it will likely impact on sport England's recommendations on whether planning should be granted. CSF and wasps have to put up or shut up, then if they can guarantee the facilities the club have no choice but accept working together or facing the wrath of the fans.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
The way they say that they would happily co-operate so that Sport England can get the info, weren't Sport England requesting the same information as the club but didn't get it either?

Also, the way it is saying they were pleased to read in Paul Breed's email to somebody else that they need to talk.

Looks to me like they are trying to call a bluff, and are basically saying "Sport England need this info, we would happily meet them to hand it all over".

My thoughts (not fact) is that they are pretty sure that it can't be done, which is why they are now playing the "We will work with sport england" line, basically trying to suck up to them. They are trying to get csf and wasps to put something in writing, either direct to the club or sport England and are playing as helpful as they can.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
They should be really working on developing it the accommodate both clubs this would make more sense!
I think that's what the club are getting at, trying to find out if and how they can be accommodated.

Sport England have also requested the information and not had it, so they will be playing off that i think and will extra, super helpful to let sport England know what they need.

Captain Dart

Fisher didn't even get the planning application reference correct in the heading of his letter!

What Sport England actually said (according to CT).
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/wasps-plan-redevelop-home-ccfc-11691481

Its response read: “From the information submitted in support of this application it is not clear how the proposal would impact the delivery of sport in Coventry.

“It is considered that the potential for the co-location of Wasps RFC and Coventry City FC needs to be further investigated by the parties involved in order to determine what activity could take place at the Alan Higgs Centre and determine what, if any, sporting activity would be displaced should the proposal be implemented.

“This information would then help to inform whether or not alternative sites would be required to maintain the sporting activity currently taking place at the Alan Higgs Centre and would also help to determine the impact on any displaced sporting activity.

“Unfortunately insufficient information has been submitted in support of this application to enable Sport England to adequately assess the proposal against Exception E5 or to make further comment.”

What Fisher says they said in his letter to Mr Russell at Coventry Planning.
Sport England – further comments have been received but Sport
England still believe that there is insufficient information to allow
them to understand how the site will be used in the future and the
potential impact on the Academy and therefore they consider they
are unable to make an informed judgement as to whether the
proposal meets their Policy Exception E5 and as such recommend
that the application is deferred. They require information on what
facilities will be available and at what times, what facilities are
required and at what times for the Academy to maintain their
Category 2 Academy Status, how the users of the site will work
together in the future and during construction works, and the
relocation of the current sporting use on site and the impact of this
on the Academy.

Spot the difference. Well I have only what is available to the public to go on, but it looks to me like Fisher is still playing games.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, he is trying to get csf to put something in writing or say what they can offer isn't he? He is trying to call their bluff using sport England.

So they all need to be called out don't they? Meet up with Sport England..

Why haven't wasps given sport England the info either?

Captain Dart

Yep, he is trying to get csf to put something in writing or say what they can offer isn't he?
So what is the point in making something up? I'm sure if is obvious to me it is just as obvious to all other parties
He will get on the wrong side of Sport England if they have not actually said that in subsequent correspondence.

Last edited:

ccfcway

"we are more than happy to sit down with all parties and discuss how the facilities at the Alan Higgs Centre can be programmed in order to allow Wasps to develop its training academy without displacing the football academy or threatening its Category 2 status"

Yet they weren't a few weeks ago ?

I'd love this to be positive news and hope it is.,

Nick

Administrator
So what is the point in making something up? I'm sure it is as obvious to me as it is to all other parties.
He will get on the wrong side of Sport England if they have not actually said that in subsequent correspondence.
Because he is trying to call their bluff, they also want to know.

He has said they are happy to meet, there's no getting out of it. As have csf, as have the others.

So get sport England the info?

Captain Dart

I think it is more likely SISU are trying to get something in writing to present in court than actually conclude a deal.

Nick

Administrator
I think it is more likely SISU are trying to get something in writing to present in court than actually conclude a deal.
Present in court for what?

Have they not given it to sport England in case they take them to court?

I'm of the thought ccfc think it's not going to be possible, so thats why wasps won't give them or sport England the info.

Next step will be a reply from the council or csf won't it?

Captain Dart

Present in court for what?

Have they not given it to sport England in case they take them to court?

I'm of the thought ccfc think it's not going to be possible, so thats why wasps won't give them or sport England the info.

Next step will be a reply from the council or csf won't it?

They'll just invite everyone to informal talks I imagine.

chiefdave

The way they say that they would happily co-operate so that Sport England can get the info, weren't Sport England requesting the same information as the club but didn't get it either?
Wonder how this pool thing will impact on Sport England. From what I can tell Sport England were dragged into the pool situation when they were asked to support a 50m pool somewhere in the West Midlands.

Surprise surprise it ends up at Higgs and Sport England have little choice but to support redevelopment there. So can they support the pool project but not Wasps training centre?

If you look at the pool press release it specifically mentions it complementing Wasps plans and includes facilities for rugby.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
I think that's what the club are getting at, trying to find out if and how they can be accommodated.

Sport England have also requested the information and not had it, so they will be playing off that i think and will extra, super helpful to let sport England know what they need.
love to know why council or all parties let it get to this and not try help both club prosper in the city instead favoring wasps, then again it ccfc are just messing everyone around this what will happen.

Captain Dart

Doubt whether this sheds light on anything.. but Maton was active on this topic yesterday.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah doesn't explain anything at all, apart from how he thinks Simon's book explains things...

dongonzalos

To be honest I would still prefer them to try and do something with the connexion and have our own purpose built academy next door to our own training facility

Captain Dart

To be honest I would still prefer them to try and do something with the connexion and have our own purpose built academy next door to our own training facility
Since the 80's the connexion has been privately owned & nothing to do with the club, it would cost millions to buy. The only way that would happen is if there was planning permission for some housing on the site to offset the costs, but if that were possible probably the connexion owners would do it for themselves rather than sell.

dongonzalos

Since the 80's the connexion has been privately owned & nothing to do with the club, it would cost millions to buy. The only way that would happen is if there was planning permission for some housing on the site to offset the costs, but if that were possible probably the connexion owners would do it for themselves rather than sell.

Have you been to the connexion recently
I have been going there for around 12 years now and it has gone down remarkably over that time period in terms of both custom base and up keep.
The only thing I don't see there is the functions so I don't know if that is thriving or not.

dongonzalos

At least with this letter the club have finally said they will talk to all parties. Let's hope it's not just this letter to the planners and that they are actually talking to the most important people and they have picked the phone up and asked for a meeting

Captain Dart

Have you been to the connexion recently
I have been going there for around 12 years now and it has gone down remarkably over that time period in terms of both custom base and up keep.
The only thing I don't see there is the functions so I don't know if that is thriving or not.

Yeah, I think there are other gym/sports options these days, like that one at Allard Way. :angelic: Can't say I've been there for years.
But seriously if it is a failing business the owners will need to do something, that may include selling off site to a developer.

dongonzalos

Yeah, I think there are other gym/sports options these days, like that one at Allard Way. :angelic: Can't say I've been there for years.
But seriously if it is a failing business the owners will need to do something, that may include selling off site to a developer.

It seems you can't permission for housing there as the sky blues looked into that with a view of selling ryton
So a partnership with the sky blues could be a very good business option
It used to have about 10 five aside leagues going on each night now that is 3-4 at a push

stupot07

It seems you can't permission for housing there as the sky blues looked into that with a view of selling ryton
So a partnership with the sky blues could be a very good business option
It used to have about 10 five aside leagues going on each night now that is 3-4 at a push
Its still not big enough

dongonzalos

Its still not big enough

The combined site of Ryton and the connexion wouldnt be big enough for an training/academy facility?

Also it's worth having a look into the history of the place and the Jimmy hill era
It was the sky blues connexion until the 80's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread