CET: Joe Elliot confirms talks and that Hoffman Would also join the board. (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

JOE Elliott has confirmed s e that American multi-millionaire Preston Haskell IV is serious about buying half the Ricoh Arena and Coventry City, insisting he has a “great blueprint“ to breathe new life into the ailing football club.
The U.S. tycoon was quoted in a national newspaper yesterday as saying he'd agreed a deal to purchase a half share in the stadium.

r And Mr Elliott stressed that while the potential investor provided hope for Sky Blues fans there was a long way to go before any deal was completed.

But he revealed that the Texan property tycoon is keen to bring together all aspects of the Ricoh site, including the land adjacent to the stadium which is earmarked for regeneration and leisure use to provide jobs, subject to buying 50 per cent of the Arena from the Higgs Charity and 100 per cent of the football club.

Positive talks have already been held between the U.S.
investor, the Higgs Charity and Coventry City Council who jointly own and run the stadium under the umbrella ACL. But any deal is subject to what happens in the High Court tomorrow.

If the judge decides to put Coventry City (Holdings) Ltd into administration that would pave the way for a formal offer to be made to a newly appointed administrator to buy the football club. Current club owners Sisu could reject that offer but could then be overruled by the administrator.

If that happened and the sale went through, the likelihood is that the Sky Blues would incur a penalty by the Football League that would see them start next season on minus 15 points.

“I have an agreement in principle to purchase the Higgs Trust 50 per cent share of the Ricoh and take over its management,“ Mr Haskell told the Sunday Times, also revealing that he planned to install Mr Elliott as club chairman and invite supporters to take a 20 per cent share in the club.

“The agreement is on condition that I am allowed to purchase Coventry City once the administration process is completed, “he added.

However, Mr Elliott, who revealed that former vicechairman Gary Hoffman would also be brought back to the board, said: “There has been no agreement but I can assure you that there has been correspondence between us all and, let me be crystal clear, that this guy is of serious intent.

“We will do everything we can * as Gary and I have always done * to help any investment group that may be interested in coming in and looking at the arena and the outside areas of the arena and investing and then, if the opportunity arose, to look at the football club to see if we could do some thing to package it all together. There's a long way to go and Preston has to be satisfied that the business plan that he has for the Arena works with the foot ball club.

“The situation on Tuesday has got to take prefer ence over anything else at this moment in time.“

Former City chairman Mr Elliott revealed that he first met Mr Haskell last June and that his interest gathered pace from January.

“He visited the club with his team of two others and came to the Colchester match and had a look round the arena. He met Peter Knatch bull-Hugessen and the Higgs Charity and they got on well, we got on well and he out lined his vision for Cov entry City Football Club,“ said Elliott.

The Telegraph un derstands that Mr Haskell is ready to make a generous of fer for the Higgs' share in the Arena which has been esti mated at around £10million.

Mr Knatch bull-Hugessen confirmed yesterday he had met Mr Haskell but said no deal had been struck over the Ricoh.“

Mr Haskell has said that he is keen to invest in the team with a view to eventually making a return to the Premier League.

“We've had some great discussions, he's been over and likes it and let's see where we get to,“ said Mr Elliott who was a guest with Mr Hoffman in the boardroom at Portsmouth on Saturday.

“We don't want to build hopes up too much but Preston has a great blueprint of how it should be and that would tie in with most people's ideas of how they would like to see Coventry City and the Arena as one.

“Preston, Gary, myself and his team get on very well and are in constant contact.
We are aware of the troubled times at the football club at the moment and will be watching with interest over the next few days but Preston is very keen to press ahead with this situation.“

As it is, the future of Coventry City remains in a state of confusion.

On Friday night the club moved all its staff from its offices at the Ricoh Arena to its training ground. Workers were also seen removing stock from the club shop.

On Saturday the club said it was in talks with the Football League over a venue for its next `home' match, raising the prospect that it would not play again at the Ricoh this season.

Coventry City will return to the High Court tomorrow to discover whether the club will be put into administration.

Otis

Higgs have denied that they have made any agreement with Mr. Haskell.

The way it came across on CWR this morning was if they knew nothing about it.

Smoke and mirrors and cloak and daggers I guess.

Why are we hearing about this before any deal is struck?

skyblu3sk

However, Mr Elliott, who revealed that former vicechairman Gary Hoffman would also be brought back to the board, said: “There has been no agreement but I can assure you that there has been correspondence between us all and, let me be crystal clear, that this guy is of serious intent. This seems to be the key part

Sky Blues

I think this article makes it clear a deal has not been done.

Mr Elliott stressed that while the potential investor provided hope for Sky Blues fans there was a long way to go before any deal was completed.
“There has been no agreement but I can assure you that there has been correspondence between us all and, let me be crystal clear, that this guy is of serious intent."

Otis

The sad thing in all this is the suggestion of a 15 point penalty next season.

That means, next season in League One and almost certainly the following season too. :(

Sky Blues

Play-offs from a position of -15 points?

We got close this season despite throwing away 12-18 points at the start of the campaign. Another potential issue could be what squad we have available - if the players have moved to CCFC Holdings, but the Golden Share stays with CCFC Ltd, who knows what team will be turning out in Sky Blue next season!

Otis

To make the play-offs from a position of -15 points would almost certainly mean a 90 point total for us for the season.

Doncaster in top place only have 72 points at the moment this year.

Think we would have prepare ourselves for next season and the season after that in League One I'm afraid.

ccfcway

To make the play-offs from a position of -15 points would almost certainly mean a 90 point total for us for the season.

Think we would have prepare ourselves for next season and the season after that in League One I'm afraid.

absolutely

Gint11

Agreed Otis. To start a season on-15 would be horrible and likely but if that ensures a take over then we will have to. Focus then is to stay up and then rebuild. Another seasonin League 1 wouldnt hurt in the end. Besides, in an ideal world Id like to see us smash league 1, at least then you feel like we will have a team that cam compete in the championship. At the minute we don't, nor do we have the finances to build in the summer.

Otis

Would be great, if at some point we could totally dominate the league and go up as champions for sure.

Sky Blues

I agree it would be a big ask, but not completely impossible. Teams do get 90 point seasons occasionally - though I don't think I have to check the record books to know it has never happened to Coventry in my life time! :(

oakey

I read it as -15 points IF SISU refuse to sell.
Very likely then, but spiteful all the same.

Otis

But I thought we got a penalty for going into admin and then once again for coming out.

Isn't that the rule?

Stafford_SkBlue

What rules are there for -10 and -15, i'm confused. I know about 5 yrs ago Luton, Bournemouth and Rotherham were docked more then -10.

bamalamafizzfazz

I would actually take this if all that is being promised by this guy is true. Se we spend two season in the third tier but come back stronger with steady investment in the team, the stadiuma dn the surrounding land with profits coming into the club setting us up financially for years to come.

Sometimes you do have to take a step back to get three seps forward (or some similar phrase which I can't think of).

I am fed up having talent at our football club and letting them go for peanuts because we are in dire straits financially. Having more money would allow us to demand higher fees for players, look at the money Southampton got for Walcott, Chamberlain, Bale etc. Imagine we could have demanded better money for some of the players we have let go.

Obviously this is all a long way off and I am going to get shot down for saying this but I think administration tomorrow would be best for CCFC if this man comes in and saves us forever!

Sky Blues

What rules are there for -10 and -15, i'm confused. I know about 5 yrs ago Luton, Bournemouth and Rotherham were docked more then -10.

As I understand it you get -10 for going into administration. You get an extra -15 if you fail to exit administration with a company voluntary agreement (CVA) - i.e. if those owed money do not agree to the deal the administrator makes to clear up the mess.

As Sisu, through the Arvo fund, are a creditor of CCFC Ltd they could say they disagree with the administrator selling the club to Haskell IV or whoever (if that was the path the administrator chose) and not sign up to a CVA. End result for the club would be a -15 penalty on top of the - 10.

Otis

As I understand it you get -10 for going into administration. You get an extra -15 if you fail to exit administration with a company voluntary agreement (CVA) - i.e. if those owed money do not agree to the deal the administrator makes to clear up the mess.

As Sisu, through the Arvo fund, are a creditor of CCFC Ltd they could say they disagree with the administrator selling the club to Haskell IV or whoever (if that was the path the administrator chose) and not sign up to a CVA. End result for the club would be a -15 penalty on top of the - 10.

Yep. That's the way I understand it.

Looking very much like a total of -25 points.

PWKH

Please do not get your hopes up. Having met Preston Haskell IV at the Colchester game we have now had an e-mail from him expressing his interest in purchasing the Charity's shares in ACL. I have replied saying that I will forward his e-mail to the Trustees. That is all. There have been no discussions and none are planned.

The Charity does not welcome having statements made about it which are untrue. It is, of course possible that Preston Haskell IV is unaware of the statement attributed to him. The statement could simply be a bit of mischief by people wishing to confuse the situation for their own ends.

Wm65

Whoever does take over the club if anyone does in the future then i hope that joe Elliott is in no way involved in it .

Last edited:

bamalamafizzfazz

Please do not get your hopes up. Having met Preston Haskell IV at the Colchester game we have now had an e-mail from him expressing his interest in purchasing the Charity's shares in ACL. I have replied saying that I will forward his e-mail to the Trustees. That is all. There have been no discussions and none are planned.

The Charity does not welcome having statements made about it which are untrue. It is, of course possible that Preston Haskell IV is unaware of the statement attributed to him. The statement could simply be a bit of mischief by people wishing to confuse the situation for their own ends.

Thankyou for your update. I really appreciate you taking the time to keep us informed. Yesterday you advised there had been little interest from Mr. Haskell and today's development is there has been an email declaring an interest. I appreciate that the media can over sensationalise and publicly talking about the charities business especially in a posturous manner is unprofessional and understand why the charity would not welcome it.

However, asking me not to get my hopes up is not going to reduce my enthusiasm towards this latest story. Rome wasn't built in a day and everything has to start somewhere and if as you say there is contact from Mr. Haskell it means he may actually have a serious intent to press on with these plans.

Either way talking about a potentially positive future for our club is better than talking about the frankly embarrassing SISU/ ACL debate with little facts and information and becoming increasingly frustrated.

hill83

Thankyou for your update. I really appreciate you taking the time to keep us informed. Yesterday you advised there had been little interest from Mr. Haskell and today's development is there has been an email declaring an interest. I appreciate that the media can over sensationalise and publicly talking about the charities business especially in a posturous manner is unprofessional and understand why the charity would not welcome it.

However, asking me not to get my hopes up is not going to reduce my enthusiasm towards this latest story. Rome wasn't built in a day and everything has to start somewhere and if as you say there is contact from Mr. Haskell it means he may actually have a serious intent to press on with these plans.

Either way talking about a potentially positive future for our club is better than talking about the frankly embarrassing SISU/ ACL debate with little facts and information and becoming increasingly frustrated.

Great post.

Have a 'like'

chickentikkamasala

Thank you for clarification, this has all gone too far without facts and with a little help from the press :(

Black6Osprey

The way it came across on CWR this morning was if they knew nothing about it.

Smoke and mirrors and cloak and daggers I guess.

Why are we hearing about this before any deal is struck?

Because if it doesn't happen, Haskell gets free national publicity for his company and we can all say Joe and the Hoff are trying.

If it happens then great but we've heard it all before haven't we.

Ccfcisparks

Just out of interest PKWH what would you preference be on the outcome of this whole debacle?

bamalamafizzfazz

Just out of interest PKWH what would you preference be on the outcome of this whole debacle?

Probably better to ask this after Tuesday's court hearing as I wouldn't expect it to be prudent for him to answer this at this moment in time but I would hope it's the same as we all want which is an alignment betweent the club ownership and the stadium giving all revenue to one party.

I would be interested to hear what he thinks would be the best solution right now with everything hanging in the balance as it is.

Otis

Thanks.

Appreciate you taking the time out to come and inform us of what you know.

Thanks also for going on CWR on Saturday. Thought you came across as honest and sincere.

Maybe one day you will be in a position to talk about these things we 'wouldn't believe' about Sisu and the way they conduct their business! ;)

Anyway, thanks for at least keeping us somewhat informed of things.

covcity4life

The sad thing in all this is the suggestion of a 15 point penalty next season.

That means, next season in League One and almost certainly the following season too. :(

well we had a minus 15 deduction this year when you tihnk of 5 lost on trot and we still have a tiny chance of playoffs with 6 games to go so no it doesnt mean league one the following season for sure

as for this? im trying not to get my hopes up but lets hope it happens,we need him

Users who are viewing this thread