Championship thread 23/24 (6 Viewers)

skybluegod

When will some people learn?

Beat Preston and we're back in 6th on GD to Hull and just 1 point behind WBA. Then on Saturday it's Hull v WBA. Our run in is favourable to most sides.

Our players have had a much needed rest this week. Just Preston and the cup game for the rest of the month. We have Hull and WBA next month but also easier games we should win. If we beat Preston it would start to look like 4 sides after the last 2 playoff spots.

Preston would be 5 points behind in 9th with 12 games to go. That's needing nearly half a point a game just to catch up. Sunderland are presently in 10th and 2 points behind Preston. They're going to fall away in the next few weeks.

Preston is a must not lose game. A win would be great. A draw wouldn't be too bad.

You say when will people learn and then say the phrase 'must not lose'. Football doesn't work like that.

Also our run in after march is probably the hardest out of our direct competitors. I'm not sure April could be much harder.

Otis

I remember reading the books as a kid. The Owl of the remove is a catchphrase I recall.
There were reprints of the books in the 1970's.

I'm sure I remember him on TV and seeing the character there.

Or maybe that was Christopher Biggins.🤔

Ccfcisparks

With how good the rest of the chasing pack is, I'd expect we will need to win at least 9 of the remaining games to even have a sniff at a top 6 finish.

Mcbean

I watched the Ipswich game when WBA game was over - they were crap - Rotherham we’re all over them just the Rotherham defence didn’t turn up - don’t expect an easy game

Astute

You say when will people learn and then say the phrase 'must not lose'. Football doesn't work like that.

Also our run in after march is probably the hardest out of our direct competitors. I'm not sure April could be much harder.
How many sides near the top do we have left to play? How many sides around us have to play other teams at or near the top?

It isn't a must win game like many keep quoting. But if we lose they go above us and at least one of the two sides above us will pull away even further. Then we will have to keep winning just to keep up.

skybluegod

How many sides near the top do we have left to play? How many sides around us have to play other teams at or near the top?

It isn't a must win game like many keep quoting. But if we lose they go above us and at least one of the two sides above us will pull away even further. Then we will have to keep winning just to keep up.

It's the championship. It doesn't matter if a team is 21st. We can still lose. The most important run is the one actually into the play offs. Which ours is very tough in comparison.

We face 5 of the top six still. And whilst the other games are favourable we have won 6/18 I think away games. So that will have to improve too. You can tell me what the other run ins our in comparison.

You are right we have to keep winning anyway.

robbiethemole

Hull, Saints, WBA, Leeds, Ipswich and Preston

Astute

It's the championship. It doesn't matter if a team is 21st. We can still lose. The most important run is the one actually into the play offs. Which ours is very tough in comparison.

We face 5 of the top six still. And whilst the other games are favourable we have won 6/18 I think away games. So that will have to improve too. You can tell me what the other run ins our in comparison.

You are right we have to keep winning anyway.
So it matters that we have to play teams at the top but it doesn't matter about playing teams at the bottom because we could lose to them?

No more replies from me as you just seem to be after an argument.

skybluegod

So it matters that we have to play teams at the top but it doesn't matter about playing teams at the bottom because we could lose to them?

No more replies from me as you just seem to be after an argument.

I said it matters that all the teams we play matter. Who we play at the top was the answer to your question was all.

Astute

Hull, Saints, WBA, Leeds, Ipswich and Preston
And then mainly near the bottom half. That's why I said I would be happy with a draw against the sides near the top. Even Preston at home who are 2 points and a GD of 22 in our favour wouldn't be a bad result if we draw.

Astute

I said it matters that all the teams we play matter. Who we play at the top was the answer to your question was all.
It was what you brought up. You keep moving the goalposts.

You said it doesn't matter who we play because we can still lose. But it matters that we have to play teams near the top. No contradiction?

The teams near the top also still have to play each other. Hull v WBA Saturday, for instance.

GaryJones

I stick by my original post - Preston is a must win game!
We need to keep the pressure on WBA Hull & Norwich (who have the easiest run in IMO)
If we beat Preston it keeps them in check and keeps our momentum going.
A point is not good enough at this stage of the run in - harsh but true.

PVA

Millwall sacking Joe Edwards after just 19 games and bringing back... Neil Harris.

Sacking Edwards is fair enough, but hiring Harris seems like a very backwards step. The guy got sacked by a L2 club earlier in the season.

Legia Sky Blue

I stick by my original post - Preston is a must win game!
We need to keep the pressure on WBA Hull & Norwich (who have the easiest run in IMO)
If we beat Preston it keeps them in check and keeps our momentum going.
A point is not good enough at this stage of the run in - harsh but true.

A point is fine if we then go and win at West Brom, but no win out of those 2 games will certainly make things difficult for us.

mmttww

A point is fine if we then go and win at West Brom, but no win out of those 2 games will certainly make things difficult for us.

Preston and Hull are games you want us to win to avoid pressure being on Leeds and Ipswich. Could easily see us losing both of those last two.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Preston and Hull are games you want us to win to avoid pressure being on Leeds and Ipswich. Could easily see us losing both of those.

iWe'll beat Ipswich - the other 3 teams, I'd snap your hands off for anything above 3 points from those games. Need some big performances from our 'stars' plus Sheaf and Torp back asap.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yup, you will need the Chiltern Line, or the LNW line. Prices start from as little as £11.20. Make sure you book in advance. Dogs are welcome onboard, but no buffet cart.

Thanks Fat Controller.

200.gif
play controller GIF

Happy_Martian

Good thing we didn't sign Chair

We commented on him not been present in some of their games. Now he'll be absent for all of them.

Foolish thing to do. 26 yrs old and now with a criminal record for what some papers are calling "an almost fatal blow".

But considering what some players have been convicted of and still resurrected their playing careers after, he's going to go far in the game 😠

Hertsccfc

We commented on him not been present in some of their games. Now he'll be absent for all of them.

Foolish thing to do. 26 yrs old and now with a criminal record for what some papers are calling "an almost fatal blow".

But considering what some players have been convicted of and still resurrected their playing careers after, he's going to go far in the game 😠
That looks a pretty lenient outcome to me.

Happy_Martian

That looks a pretty lenient outcome to me.

1 yr with 12 months suspended. Very lenient for what amounts to actual bodily assault.

And because of his talent, he'll come out smelling of roses and be picked up by QPR or another team without questions.

Football seems to be the only business where you can do almost anything and still get your job back or better without questions.

Brighton Sky Blue

1 yr with 12 months suspended. Very lenient for what amounts to actual bodily assault.

And because of his talent, he'll come out smelling of roses and be picked up by QPR or another team without questions.

Football seems to be the only business where you can do almost anything and still get your job back or better without questions.
I mean Lee Hughes literally killed someone and still got a league contract.

Happy_Martian

napolimp

Will be interested to see where Adam Johnson ends up.

Happy_Martian

Will be interested to see where Adam Johnson ends up.
One of the few who paid for their crime

From Wiki
"The chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, Gordon Taylor, said that Johnson had "damaged the reputation of football" and that his chances of playing again were "very remote""

And it looks like, at 36 yrs, he has not returned to football in any position. Or at least, nothing Google can report.

alexccfc99

To compound a miserable start to the weekend, if those cave dwelling racist twats win today they've given themselves a great chance to stay up

Grendel

The same Hull that signed some brilliant players we should have signed in the last window?

Yeah that Hull that are now moving into gear to establish themselves in the top 6

Users who are viewing this thread