Chris Kirkland article (1 Viewer)

vow

Refreshing thread and thought process. :emoji_relaxed:

skybluegod

Agree with RB on a very small scale here. Clearly Kirkland does suffer with mental health issues, and it clearly does exist despite what RB might think.
I have suffered from anxiety, thankfully over it now, and I know lots with mental illness.

But I think he has a point in terms of what we classify as depression, I hear so many people nowadays saying ‘i’m Depressed’ when literally all that has happens is they had a bad day or a bad week. Or when they break up with someone and cry and say they are depressed.
People-I won’t say like but something similar- to think they are depressed so they can have attention in some cases and that is from personal experience some people just want the attention.
So he is right and there is a reasoned debate to be made on the subject.
But he is a prick for the way he put it in the first place.

skybluegod

Although I will add, if everyone cares so much about mental health, maybe we should all stop calling each other pricks and c**t’s ;)

oucho

You'd hope he would be better than Burge, even at 37 and fitness issues in the last few years.

Nick

Administrator
Glad to see he is better now physically and mentally! He might get a lower league club for a few years.

Esoterica

I would offer him a full pre season with us working on his fitness and take it from there. If he feels he's still in a good place at the end of the summer and if he still has something to offer as a keeper, offer him a 12 month playing contract. Even if it's sat on the bench as back up, his football experience has got to benefit the other keepers at the club and maybe there'll be an extension and/or a potential coaching role at the end of it if he's of the right disposition - he's not your average stupid footballer.

oucho

I hadn't realised until today he'd had such a long battle with depression. I wonder if his perception of his career, which if we're honest we'd all say was unfulfilled both in terms of the number of games he played (320 over a 15 year career, should have been double that, fitness allowing) and the level he reached (other than his time at Liverpool and 1 England cap), played a part in his mental heath problems.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I hadn't realised until today he'd had such a long battle with depression. I wonder if his perception of his career, which if we're honest we'd all say was unfulfilled both in terms of the number of games he played (320 over a 15 year career, should have been double that, fitness allowing) and the level he reached (other than his time at Liverpool and 1 England cap), played a part in his mental heath problems.
Possibly. But unfortunately mental health is a cruel beast. Even if you're more successful than you could ever have imagined, it doesn't clear you from suffering. Avicii being a perfect case in point from recent weeks. Great to see he's on the mend, hope he continues to receive all the support he needs.

SkyBlueCRJ

I would offer him a full pre season with us working on his fitness and take it from there. If he feels he's still in a good place at the end of the summer and if he still has something to offer as a keeper, offer him a 12 month playing contract. Even if it's sat on the bench as back up, his football experience has got to benefit the other keepers at the club and maybe there'll be an extension and/or a potential coaching role at the end of it if he's of the right disposition - he's not your average stupid footballer.

Completely agree. When was the last time we had an experienced keeper - certainly wouldn't do Burge any harm having a steady head to compete with either.

Londonccfcfan

Completely agree. When was the last time we had an experienced keeper - certainly wouldn't do Burge any harm having a steady head to compete with either.
Experience keeper any day for me. Helps in decision making. Burge just dithers way too much. Way too much indecision in everything he does. And when he does make a decision he usualy makes the wrong one.

Keepers probably peak at about early to mid thirties so hes not past it if he can prove his fitness.

I can actually see Chris making the step down.

SkyBlueCRJ

Experience keeper any day for me. Helps in decision making. Burge just dithers way too much. Way too much indecision in everything he does. And when he does make a decision he usualy makes the wrong one.

Keepers probably peak at about early to mid thirties so hes not past it if he can prove his fitness.

I can actually see Chris making the step down.

As can I. Joe Cole came to us to fall back in love with the game so maybe Chris could do the same.

Sbarcher

Player/gk coach for Ccfc hopefully. Isn’t Oggy retiring (if not he should be). Would be a great addition.

Users who are viewing this thread