Chris Kirkland article (1 Viewer)

R

RB1992

I get the feeling a lot of people are farming for likes on this post.

letsallsingtogether

I know how he feels I had a job that made me feel that way.
Lucky for me got out after 3 months took a 50% drop in wages and now all is great.

Hope he can turn a corner it can happen to the best of us.

R

RB1992

The very fact you say they 'claim to suffer' is already playing down their condition. You think he packed in playing years early and then made up a story so he could make a couple of hundred quid from a guardian article on depression? You're either trolling, a massive ignorant or just an absolute idiot. Either way, you're getting the responses such a ridiculous statement deserves.

So we should automatically believe everyone who claims to be suffering from a mental illness? The last thing I would want to do is mock those who are suffering, but where is the line? Why can't we have a reasoned debate on the subject without resorting to petty insults and name-calling?

letsallsingtogether

I think it all boils down to that question though - is depression real? Or is he just saying this to make a few bob now he's packed in playing?
So he really needs 10 bob.
You are a twat, both my children are councillors and see this first hand.
Why would you even make shit up like that.

NortonSkyBlue

So we should automatically believe everyone who claims to be suffering from a mental illness? The last thing I would want to do is mock those who are suffering, but where is the line? Why can't we have a reasoned debate on the subject without resorting to petty insults and name-calling?
It is not the last thing you want to do, otherwise you wouldn't have done it!

R

RB1992

Asking whether depression is real isn't a question that belongs in a reasoned debate.

Perhaps not, and personally I believe that it is very much real. Although, there are plenty of doubters about still - one quick search of "depression" on Twitter is enough to tell you that.

However, I do think it is fair to have a reasoned debate on how depression is defined and diagnosed. Where is that line between feeling fed up or down for a prolonged period of time, and depression?

ajsccfc

There are people that believe the Earth is flat, despite us already knowing the answer to that question. Not every viewpoint has merit.

If you want a reasoned debate, steamrolling in with a sub-Hopkins point probably isn't the way to kick one off.

Joy Division

Perhaps not, and personally I believe that it is very much real. Although, there are plenty of doubters about still - one quick search of "depression" on Twitter is enough to tell you that.

However, I do think it is fair to have a reasoned debate on how depression is defined and diagnosed. Where is that line between feeling fed up or down for a prolonged period of time, and depression?

You think its fair to have a reasoned debate about depression yet you suggest Kirkland might me doing this to earn a bit of money? How much do you think Kirkland is making from this?

Joy Division

There are people that believe the Earth is flat, despite us already knowing the answer to that question. Not every viewpoint has merit.

If you want a reasoned debate, steamrolling in with a sub-Hopkins point probably isn't the way to kick one off.

Wasn't there a flat-earther on here a while ago? now that was an interesting thread!

Covstu

no you believe the councillor and professional help he received and diagnosed his depression.

Liquid Gold

If the earth is round how come water doesn't fall off it, you cant answer that can you

giphy.gif

R

RB1992

You think its fair to have a reasoned debate about depression yet you suggest Kirkland might me doing this to earn a bit of money? How much do you think Kirkland is making from this?

£10 and a packet of skips would be my bet.

R

RB1992

Ok, let's ignore my initial post. Care to answer my last two questions?

R

RB1992

Yeah, i will! I'll meet you at the Cherry Tree before next match?

What time? I leave for Accrington about 9ish, so it will have to be very early. Failing that, I'm happy to meet you in any number of pubs up there.

ajsccfc

Ok, let's ignore my initial post. Care to answer my last two questions?

About where the line is? Generally it's determined by medical professionals who know what they're talking about. There's no one-size-fits-all approach that can answer it though.

mechaishida

The very fact you say they 'claim to suffer' is already playing down their condition. You think he packed in playing years early and then made up a story so he could make a couple of hundred quid from a guardian article on depression? You're either trolling, a massive ignorant or just an absolute idiot. Either way, you're getting the responses such a ridiculous statement deserves.

Indeed, the very notion he'd falsify a mental condition to earn about £400 for a published article is downright horrendous.

If depression was an alternative career, I and many others would be fucking minted by now.

Briles

I think it all boils down to that question though - is depression real? Or is he just saying this to make a few bob now he's packed in playing?

I sort of get what you mean, although the way you have put it seems to have rattled some cages. Im guessing you mean the idiots who use depression as a "celebrity flavour of the month" (Like veganism and gender fluidity)? I dont think Chris probably falls into that category, he seemed sincere.

stevefloyd

When my mum passed away after initially being diagnosed with arthritis then turned out to be terminal cancer it shook me to the core, after she passed I tried to remain strong for my dad and sister, I am big brother that is always strong, 3 weeks later my brother in law, a manic depressive, hung himself I then remained strong for my sister in law, not having grieved I lasted around 3 months and depression hit me, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I could be so weak and a pussy, I only had mild depression, every time now i have an ache or pain it worries me to the point that it creates so much tension i feel theres not much point to life thats what depression is trying to live with that fucker every time it rears its ugly fucking head,,, I feel better now that I have said it and as I type this I sit here with tears in my eyes, if you think thats attention seeking well fuck you Rb1992

NortonSkyBlue

When my mum passed away after initially being diagnosed with arthritis then turned out to be terminal cancer it shook me to the core, after she passed I tried to remain strong for my dad and sister, I am big brother that is always strong, 3 weeks later my brother in law, a manic depressive, hung himself I then remained strong for my sister in law, not having grieved I lasted around 3 months and depression hit me, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I could be so weak and a pussy, I only had mild depression, every time now i have an ache or pain it worries me to the point that it creates so much tension i feel theres not much point to life thats what depression is trying to live with that fucker every time it rears its ugly fucking head,,, I feel better now that I have said it and as I type this I sit here with tears in my eyes, if you think thats attention seeking well fuck you Rb1992
We are not machines and we are vulnerable, however we perceive ourself.
When bad things come knocking we are not immune. Your strength is not exposing your weakness but facing up to it.
I expect all will be liable to depression or being down, however you want to put it, and coming out the other side is not a given.
Anybody who makes light of depression should understand that they or a loved one is going to suffer.
I wish you well on your journey Stevefloyd.

stevefloyd

We are not machines and we are vulnerable, however we perceive ourself.
When bad things come knocking we are not immune. Your strength is not exposing your weakness but facing up to it.
I expect all will be liable to depression or being down, however you want to put it, and coming out the other side is not a given.
Anybody who makes light of depression should understand that they or a loved one is going to suffer.
I wish you well on your journey Stevefloyd.
Thanks Riyad i never wrote this to try and grab attention my mum passed 16 years ago and I still struggle at times, I was just giving my own experience as an example of how simple things can change massively to someone

Covstu

Thanks Riyad i never wrote this to try and grab attention my mum passed 16 years ago and I still struggle at times, I was just giving my own experience as an example of how simple things can change massively to someone
Bullshit, clearly farming for likes apparently.

Glad your coming through it fella

Hobo

I get the feeling a lot of people are farming for likes on this post.

It's a forum. Most people could not care less about likes. You seem to be ploughing a furrow for attention by being deliberately controversial; are you just an attention seeker?

Otis

It's a forum. Most people could not care less about likes. You seem to be ploughing a furrow for attention by being deliberately controversial; are you just an attention seeker?
Yeah, I have never, ever got this likes thing at all. I never post anything in the hope of generating likes. To me it is simply a place to air your thoughts and talk about our favourite football team.

Esoterica

Yeah, I have never, ever got this likes thing at all. I never post anything in the hope of generating likes. To me it is simply a place to air your thoughts and talk about our favourite football team.
Hang on, you mean you don't plot your likes vs posts in an intricate spreadsheet as a means to gauge your online social relevance and provide yourself with a shallow boost to your self-esteem? Hmmm.
SBT graph.png

Users who are viewing this thread