City 1-1 Pompey: Ratings & Thoughts (1 Viewer)

LJC_CCFC

Murphy 7 - good saves, can't blame him for the equaliser

Christie 7 - So much better than Clarke, great going forward and linked up well with Baker

Wood 7 - Solid apart from one lapse in concentration

Edge 7 - Like Wood solid performance, should of scored

Adams 7 - Very impressive in attack and defence

Jennings 8 - Breaks up play and gives it simple. Is now looking to play it forward more often

Bailey 8 - class player, beautiful ball for maccas goal

Baker 7 - three good games in a row and counting

Moussa 7.5 - great in the hole, suffered being put out wide

Macca 6 - great finish for the goal, not much else

DMC 7.5 - Sign him up

Should have killed pompey off long before their goal, was DMCs goal off? Poor ref again

Astute

Murphy 7 - good saves, can't blame him for the equaliser

How much time was added for picking up the backpass and what happened afterwards? What time did the goal go in?

ccfc92

Excellent team performance, well taken goal by mcsheffery, should have put 3 or 4 away. Poor goal to concede, result for pompey and ccfc negatives + non match goers

pusbccfc

Baker was very lively last 10 mins. That cross was good where he beat a few men.
That shot near the end was class. So unlucky. Was the goal defiantly offside? Couldn't see from block 15.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Thought we bossed the game for around 65 mins and should have scored another goal

Murphy-6- cock up with the back pass and maybe could have came and claimed the cross for the equaliser
Christie-7-Much improved as a player from last season
Wood-6-Looked good on the ball for a change, misunderstanding with Murphy maybe over who should have dealt with the long ball for the equaliser
Edge-7-Unlucky not to score, still looks suspect with the ball at his feet
Adams-6-Did well and offered a good outlet down the left. Didn't get forward in the second half as much as I would have liked
Jennings-8- Best game for us, bossed the midfield and for the first time looked useful with the ball at his feet
Bailey-7-Did ok, nice pass for the goal
Mcsheff-7-Well taken goal, looked to have a good partnership with Adams early on
Baker-7-Played well, some good crosses and desperately unlucky not to score with the curling effort
Moussa-6-Worked hard and bought good energy, needs to get his head up more with the ball at his feet
Goldie-7- Can hold the ball up and go in behind the defence, constant threat

Pleased with 3/4 of the performance, you could see the home form really played on their minds as the game moved into the closing stages. Bitterly disappointed with only 1 point, puts pressure on the Walsall game now which has became more important to win

A big thumbs down for the ref, was laughable when it seemed he didn't know the rules for the indirect free kick and had to consult the linesman

Sky Blue Pete

Macca worth a 7. Very surprised Jennings or moussa weren't subbed last 10 for fresh legs. Gutted at conceding. Completely agree with the gaffer. Murphy no fault for the goal mixture of wood not marking and Christie not coming over with a little bit of moussa not playing ball into the corner when caught in possession. Really really good first half even second 1-0 would have been fair

Covstu

As Macca posted it is not the end of the world but hugely disappointing. We don't have the legs for 90 mins and we lapsed concentration in the last 10 mins again. Gutted as we could have been 8 points off playoffs!! Home form is awful still at the moment.

glamour76

Thought we bossed the game for around 65 mins and should have scored another goal

Murphy-6- cock up with the back pass and maybe could have came and claimed the cross for the equaliser
Christie-7-Much improved as a player from last season
Wood-6-Looked good on the ball for a change, misunderstanding with Murphy maybe over who should have dealt with the long ball for the equaliser
Edge-7-Unlucky not to score, still looks suspect with the ball at his feet
Adams-6-Did well and offered a good outlet down the left. Didn't get forward in the second half as much as I would have liked
Jennings-8- Best game for us, bossed the midfield and for the first time looked useful with the ball at his feet
Bailey-7-Did ok, nice pass for the goal
Mcsheff-7-Well taken goal, looked to have a good partnership with Adams early on
Baker-7-Played well, some good crosses and desperately unlucky not to score with the curling effort
Moussa-6-Worked hard and bought good energy, needs to get his head up more with the ball at his feet
Goldie-7- Can hold the ball up and go in behind the defence, constant threat

Pleased with 3/4 of the performance, you could see the home form really played on their minds as the game moved into the closing stages. Bitterly disappointed with only 1 point, puts pressure on the Walsall game now which has became more important to win

A big thumbs down for the ref, was laughable when it seemed he didn't know the rules for the indirect free kick and had to consult the linesman

Completely agree with everything & ratings. Edge was very suspect today though & why do we keep rolling/passing ball to wood like he is beckenbauer. He isn't.

Grendel

I think that Portsmouth looked very poor and were there for the taking. We should have scored early in the second half from a couple of chances but after that fizzled out badly.

Jennings had a very easy first 45 minutes -- the gap between their midfield and strike force was huge. They sorted that in the second half and Jennings and Bailey started to struggle. Baker was anonymous the whole match other than the last ten minutes and the 2 centre backs look very uncomfortable on the ball and get bullied off it too easily.

The OP is generous in his ratings. In truth we were poor against a veryi poor team. We also spent far too long playing comfortable possession football which may look good but creates nothing.

Considering the conditions the game was entertaining enough but it shows that there is much to do and many squad changes to be made.

Otis

Thought Bailey was outstanding in the first half, but you're right, both Jennings and Bailey sort of disappeared in the 2nd.

We weren't clinical enough in the first half. We really should have gone in at half time at least 2 goals up.

Wood worries me. Just how many goals has he now been responsible for this season. Must be at least 5.

skybluearmy88

Thought we had fielded completely different teams in each half, we were very good first half and if it wasn't for some good saves from there keeper and poor finishing at times we could have it wrapped up after 25 minutes, then the second half we were awful, seemed on the back foot for most of it, giving them far too much space to run at us.

junglej13

Wood worries me. Just how many goals has he now been responsible for this season. Must be at least 5.

From 70 mins on today he was a liability. He created the growing edgy atmosphere in the ground with 2 or 3 instances of not putting a name on a ball. It was no surprise how the goal came between him and murphy.

kg82

In no way was the goal Murphys fault! Wood should be getting to that. And we weren't poor first half!! We kept the ball and played it about, created chances, built up pressure. We may have been worse in the second half but we still created way more chances. Edges 2 chances, baker hitting the post and McGoldrick was not offside for the rebound. Also when McGoldrick got played through, took it a bit too wide but keeper still made a good save. It's a draw, so the unbeaten streak goes on.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I tend to agree! Wood should have just cleared it! Their player was always going to beat him if it came down to pace, and at that stage of the game, you do not wait for someone else to clear it / claim it!

Suppose Murphy is just an easy target even with his game changing saves the last few games! And I say that as one of his least favourite fans.

Baginton

Murphy 7 - why did he pick that ball up :thinking about:

Christie 8 - runs forward were awesome

Wood 7 - usual solid game

Edge 6 - not the usual reliable edje, poor game today, several bad passes

Adams 8 - awesome home debut, Reckord who ?

Jennings 7 - solid

Bailey 7 - good game,

Baker 6 - did ok

Moussa 7 - put in a good shift

Macca 7 - worked well with adams out wide, great combo, well taken goal

DMC 7 - usual decent shift

wow, much better display today

Mucca Mad Boys

Murphy 7 - why did he pick that ball up :thinking about:

Christie 8 - runs forward were awesome

Wood 7 - usual solid game

Edge 6 - not the usual reliable edje, poor game today, several bad passes

Adams 8 - awesome home debut, Reckord who ?

Jennings 7 - solid

Bailey 7 - good game,

Baker 6 - did ok

Moussa 7 - put in a good shift

Macca 7 - worked well with adams out wide, great combo, well taken goal

DMC 7 - usual decent shift

wow, much better display today

I didn't go today, pretty pissed off with work but there you go.

Anyway, my mate went to the game and said Wood + Christie were at fault for goal but you've given them 7 and 8 respectively, I suspect you're being generous although I will give he also said we shouldn't have drew and dominated.

Sky Blue Pete

Just watching Everton draw in the last minute, some of you on here would be saying they have no idea of how to hold onto a lead!

Astute

What about the save in first half? Bore off fella

So don't he know the rules of football or wasn't he concentrating?

He is good enough for this level. I have always backed him. Anyone like to show where I have not backed him in the past? I am a GK. I picked the ball up a couple of times when the rule first came out. Had a few defenders have a go at me for not picking the ball up instead of hoofing it out of play with an attacker running at me after getting a back pass. Not picked one up for a lot of years. Murphy is a Pro. He should know better than most.

So he makes saves. That is his job. So is knowing the rules and keeping to them.

wingy

If we're talking here about what I think we're talking about the blame is a combination between Edge and the ref,the ball appeared to go out under Edges control ,the ref never called it the linesman did'nt flag,no way should Edge have played the ball back to him from that position.

blueflint

seems to me its another two points lost we should beat the teams below us esp at home

LewSkyBlue

Murphy 7<br />
Christie 7<br />
Edge 8<br />
Wood 7<br />
Adams 6<br />
Jennings 8<br />
Baker 7<br />
Bailey 6<br />
Moussa 6<br />
Mcsheff 8<br />
DMC 7<br />
<br />
First game iv been to in a while (finally a weekend off work) and i thought we were quality in the first half and first 15/20 of 2nd half. Some good football, created lots of chances, were playing out from the back, good runs/overlapping. All in all was good to watch. Now, the backpass. Im not a massive fan of murphy but i will defend him here. Edge was shielding the ball, no1 knew if it was in play or not. Edge knocks it to murphy, and at first he chipped it up looking as if he is going to hoof it out but then looks around, grabs the ball and what looked to me was going to put it down for a goal kick (should of played to the whistle etc etc) but really its not his fault. Point 2, correct me if im wrong but when baker shoots and the ball hits the post, that phase of play is ended when he shoots, the ball falls to mcgoldrick thus starting a new phase of play so the goal should stand? Point 3, shouldmurphy of come off his line? Maybe. Would he have got to the ball first? Maybe. Could he of took the player and got sent off and gave a penalty away? Maybe. Again, not his fault. As MR said in the interview with CWR after the game. Moussa has been caught in possession, Cyrus has lost his man and isnt then covering the run, and wood has switched off. Its a combination of errors, not just murphy.

**in addition. The picking up of backpass did add some time on but it was more the poor refing that cost the time not the fact he picked the ball up. But there was 5 mins extra time abd they scored it within 2/3 mins. Pompey made 3 subs, we made 2. 30 seconds per sub. I make that 2.5 mins.

Last edited:

glamour76

So don't he know the rules of football or wasn't he concentrating?

He is good enough for this level. I have always backed him. Anyone like to show where I have not backed him in the past? I am a GK. I picked the ball up a couple of times when the rule first came out. Had a few defenders have a go at me for not picking the ball up instead of hoofing it out of play with an attacker running at me after getting a back pass. Not picked one up for a lot of years. Murphy is a Pro. He should know better than most.

So he makes saves. That is his job. So is knowing the rules and keeping to them.
I agree he should know the rules, but why did it cost us? They didn't score from it??? If your going to mention the 5 mins injury time, that is because the ball was dead for 5 mins. We played football for 90 mins

Astute

Because if he did know the rules or eas concentrating on what was happening the officials wouldn't have dithered for so long. Then the game would have ended earlier, not giving Pompey the chance of what seems the usual late goal we let in at home.

Quite simple really.

glamour76

Because if he did know the rules or eas concentrating on what was happening the officials wouldn't have dithered for so long. Then the game would have ended earlier, not giving Pompey the chance of what seems the usual late goal we let in at home.

Quite simple really.
You don't get it do you. The 5 mins added time was because the ball was dead!! We didn't play any extra time. They didn't score from that error.

coop

Murphy should of caught that ball for there goal.he's the first to run out and have a go.we played well and Pompey didn't deserve a point they are shit nothing wrong with goldies goal and IMO he was poor overall

Explain it in simpler terms for him Glamour. No extra time was played, just the 90. Im astounded people suggest its Murphy's fault for the 5 minutes added on and the fact they scored in it.

glamour76

Explain it in simpler terms for him Glamour. No extra time was played, just the 90. Im astounded people suggest its Murphy's fault for the 5 minutes added on and the fact they scored in it.

Ha ha. Not sure how much simpler to put it. Even my dog got it!!

Users who are viewing this thread