City Centre, what to go and what to build (1 Viewer)

Macca

So it seems that slowly but surely the awful concrete jungle I grew up in seems to be disappearing. What would you knock down or build. Or given the amount of out of town stuff is there any point. Just an aside saw 3 separate people in 3 separate suberbs walking to shops in their pyjamas today, the lack of energy and vitality you must have to do that

stupot07

The 3 random towers should definitely go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Macca

Thing with the pyramid on top, sports centre, tall dirty tower block in fairfax street.

Build some nice mid size glass blocks. I guess friargate will see to that

Otis

So it seems that slowly but surely the awful concrete jungle I grew up in seems to be disappearing. What would you knock down or build. Or given the amount of out of town stuff is there any point. Just an aside saw 3 separate people in 3 separate suberbs walking to shops in their pyjamas today, the lack of energy and vitality you must have to do that
Knock down? The Britannia Hotel, the ring road and I would demolish the structures and buildings from Lady Herbert's Garden to the Swanswell Pool and therefore expand the city centre outwards to include the Swanswell within the centre.

Would also open up the Sherbourne opposite the motor museum.

Terry Gibson's perm

Stop the building of the new council offices put them in a porta cabins if they don't like their current surroundings total waste of money on a vanity project.

Macca

If we don't need so many shops more city centre living.

Good shout that. In terms of businesses who would use a smartened up office based City centre. Never really been a white collar town. Even now it's logistics, understandably

Nick

Administrator
I think we need more student places, accomodation and chuffed chain bars and resteraunts. We could probably do with a couple more nandos.

Probably a few more card shops and tacky clothes shops where they have imported in bulk from china.

Macca

I suppose the question is who wants to come to Coventry at the moment. Immigrants (fact, don't bite my head off) students and logistics people. Given that I guess it's a case of what they want. Oh by the way the old De Vere, clean it up or fucking blow it up

Nick

Administrator
I suppose the question is who wants to come to Coventry at the moment. Immigrants (fact, don't bite my head off) students and logistics people. Given that I guess it's a case of what they want. Oh by the way the old De Vere, clean it up or fucking blow it up

They built the nice bit where the clubs used to be opposite the bus station and the bit by the motor museum that looks great but from the bus station onwards it looks awful.

stupot07

Can we have a Hooters please? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nathccfc

I think you need to ask who you want to attract to the city, personally I think we need some more bigger name shops, along the lines of 'John Lewis', shops which will draw in a different type of people which currently shop here. How many people actually say I am going into Coventry to shop, hardly any. I went to Leicester yesterday and shopped around Highcross, if those types of shops which were there are fitted around cov, then I wouldn't need to travel out to go shopping, we have turned into a tacky city centre (shop wise) full of card shops and pound shops. Admittedly they are trying to turn around the appearance which is looking good, but you need the name shops to go in them. A nice new shopping centre would be perfect but we do not have the room for one, and I think it would look out of place in the old style city.

wingy

I'm guessing Friargate Is aiming to address that
There has been a slight growth in white collar jobs with Government departments relocating out of the Capital.
Then the Educational Establishments produce a fair number of Jobs in that Category, along with all the Hi tech /Science based Industries although they seem to mostly be sited on the edge of the City.
Think it's high time we got ourselves a decent tram service on all the major routes out of the City,we're lagging way behind others on that front.
I have recently found that commuting though the City Centre much more easy with the recent changes, virtually traffic light free,.
The current layout almost lends itself to perfectly to such a scheme, wonder if that is coming next?

Nathccfc

I'm hoping friargate is designed and working along the lines of a new shopping centre not just for locals but also for shoppers outside of cov, I think the logic and idea is there, I just hope it works out. I must admit I am for a tram service or something also those lines, (no pun intended) I love the London underground and how easy it is to hop on and hop off, obviously our city is not as big as that; but a transport link would be good. If they could get this NUCKLE train service up and running it would be a small step towards this I would think.

Terry Gibson's perm

I'm hoping friargate is designed and working along the lines of a new shopping centre not just for locals but also for shoppers outside of cov, I think the logic and idea is there, I just hope it works out. I must admit I am for a tram service or something also those lines, (no pun intended) I love the London underground and how easy it is to hop on and hop off, obviously our city is not as big as that; but a transport link would be good. If they could get this NUCKLE train service up and running it would be a small step towards this I would think.

Would need to have submarines rather than trains for and underground, now that's a new idea Ann where are you.

Sick Boy

Had to go into Leicester centre to see friends the other day; it's on a different level now and to be honest I was surprised at how nicely they've got it looking.

Saying that it could be anywhere in the country and lacks character. Sadly that's the same for a lot of cities in England now.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Whatever we do the facades of the new buildings need character. If you want to attract better company's and stores you need identifiably better buildings not glass boxes. Remove Hertford Street and replace with Edwardian frontages, and stop leasing to the likes of pound shops and low end clothing retailers. Our councils lack of any kind of coherent plan on the city centre will always mean they will accept mediocrity.

fernandopartridge

I'm guessing Friargate Is aiming to address that
There has been a slight growth in white collar jobs with Government departments relocating out of the Capital.
Then the Educational Establishments produce a fair number of Jobs in that Category, along with all the Hi tech /Science based Industries although they seem to mostly be sited on the edge of the City.
Think it's high time we got ourselves a decent tram service on all the major routes out of the City,we're lagging way behind others on that front.
I have recently found that commuting though the City Centre much more easy with the recent changes, virtually traffic light free,.
The current layout almost lends itself to perfectly to such a scheme, wonder if that is coming next?

Coventry, contrary to belief, does have fair amount of people employed in white collar jobs. The problem is that they're often located on out-of-town business parks, so Coventry's economy doesn't really benefit.

On the subject of the post:

To be demolished:

Primark
Britannia Hotel
Priory Halls
Sports Centre
The Elephant
The Cov University Building along Cox St

Nick

Administrator
Coventry, contrary to belief, does have fair amount of people employed in white collar jobs. The problem is that they're often located on out-of-town business parks, so Coventry's economy doesn't really benefit.

On the subject of the post:

To be demolished:

Primark
Britannia Hotel
Priory Halls
Sports Centre
The Elephant
The Cov University Building along Cox St

Exactly, they are all at places like Walsgrave, Binley, Westwood Heath etc and places like that.

I still think more student accommodation is needed.

Terry Gibson's perm

Going to town tomorrow so will have a look around, taking my oldest boy on the train so will be going past the unusable station.

fernandopartridge

Exactly, they are all at places like Walsgrave, Binley, Westwood Heath etc and places like that.

I still think more student accommodation is needed.

There is demand for student accommodation, I am not sure why the people of Coventry whine about it. They're bringing life to areas of the city which would otherwise be completely dead or derelict.

Hopefully Friargate can bring people into city centre employment which in turn creates demand for other (non-student) accommodation.

Nick

Administrator
There is demand for student accommodation, I am not sure why the people of Coventry whine about it. They're bringing life to areas of the city which would otherwise be completely dead or derelict.

Hopefully Friargate can bring people into city centre employment which in turn creates demand for other (non-student) accommodation.

Yes but if everything is aimed at students, the people who live here will go out of town if there is too much.

If all of the bars are aimed at students, people will go out in Leamington and Birmingham etc or not venture into town.

Otis

The thing is with student accommodation in city centres is that if you have too much the cities can be like ghost towns when there are no students. They are many many weeks a year when the students go home.

Old Axa building in Corporation St, now student accommodation. The new Bishopsgate project, most of that to be student accommodation. The old Allied Carpets place, to be student accommodation. The old Leofric hotel, student accommodation.

Can't think of the rest off the top of my head, but I know there are a number more and I think it is being overly balanced. I think we need housing for the local Coventry populate too.

I have nothing against students at all and I am very happy to have them here, but if we go OTT with it in the city centre, it's going to be ghost like when the students aren't here.

We need the right balance and lately all we have heard is plans for students and nothing for the local people of Coventry who may wish to live in the city centre.

fernandopartridge

Yes but if everything is aimed at students, the people who live here will go out of town if there is too much.

If all of the bars are aimed at students, people will go out in Leamington and Birmingham etc or not venture into town.

The bars are aimed at students because that is where the demand is, Coventry people deserted the city centre years ago. You can hardly blame students or the council for developments now being aimed towards students.

Otis

The bars are aimed at students because that is where the demand is, Coventry people deserted the city centre years ago. You can hardly blame students or the council for developments now being aimed towards students.
It's good that they are, but they need to get the balance right.

I wouldn't say Cosy Club is aimed at students. Probably not Los Iguanas either. There's not many bars sprouting up, but there is in terms of restaurants.

Grendel

Depends ultimately what you want out the city.

I think compared to most cities it's a lost cause.

If there is any hope they need to redesign the area starting from that eyesore where the carpet shop was and stretch up to the co-op.

A John Lewis in the co-op area and then some high class stores in a walkway area around that carpet building with stores like Hollister and Jack Wills.

If it doesn't do anything to try and change it's Primark culture then frankly we may as well accept it's going to be inferior to its neighbours.

Otis

Depends ultimately what you want out the city.

I think compared to most cities it's a lost cause.

If there is any hope they need to redesign the area starting from that eyesore where the carpet shop was and stretch up to the co-op.

A John Lewis in the co-op area and then some high class stores in a walkway area around that carpet building with stores like Hollister and Jack Wills.

If it doesn't do anything to try and change it's Primark culture then frankly we may as well accept it's going to be inferior to its neighbours.
As I have said Grendel, it is changing. Have you been in the city centre lately?

Tiger has opened, Shuh and now Moss Bros. A number of restaurants sprouting up as well. Every time I go down I find it quite vibrant and busy.

I think John Lewis is earmarked for the Friargate, train station project to be honest. Think that plan with the Co-op is to turn it into several shops.

pusbccfc

A lot of upmarket shops have opened up recently along with the new bars/restaurants as Otis has said.

For me our city centre is actually limited by the ring road, there isn't actually that much space inside.

LastGarrison

The student population certainly drops off in May/June time but is never deserted as postgraduate students terms do not end at this time nor the January intake at the main campus or the February intake at the college (plus students doing re-sits, pre-sessional English courses etc.).

The funny thing is if we did have shops like John Lewis etc. a lot of the students (certainly the International ones) would be the ones doing a lot of dough in them because contrary to popular belief not all students are skint!!

J

Jack Griffin

A lot of upmarket shops have opened up recently along with the new bars/restaurants as Otis has said.

For me our city centre is actually limited by the ring road, there isn't actually that much space inside.

I guess the thinking behind new bridge over ring road to Friargate is an attempt to open that up. Though I'm not sure it works, like the Bermuda Triangle trying to navigate by Car, novel junction designs festooned with no entry signs everywhere in Coventry, the traffic engineers need shooting.

From this..
stream_img.jpg

To this...
stream_img.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Otis

If you're new to Coventry, that Friargate junction is a leaves you in complete buffudlement.

Grendel

As I have said Grendel, it is changing. Have you been in the city centre lately?

Tiger has opened, Shuh and now Moss Bros. A number of restaurants sprouting up as well. Every time I go down I find it quite vibrant and busy.

I think John Lewis is earmarked for the Friargate, train station project to be honest. Think that plan with the Co-op is to turn it into several shops.

I did venture in before Christmas once.

If you care to admit it or not when you compare the city footfall to Leicester or Nottingham it is desperately poor.

Most people I work with never go into the city. Those that are not from the area and tend to live outside the border will never consider it as an option.

It's problems are now probably too great. I don't know the names of the area but the bit from BHS if you walk to that Square and up the hill back to where the old post office building is, the whole lot is dire. Terrible shops, shocking decayed infrastructure.

The only half decent area is the bit where next and new look are. At least it looks bright.

There's no links or patterns to the architecture. I assume the appalling market building is listed so we are stuck with it. The burgess and the street next to it just echo deprivation.

The one development that is working is the one that is around the train station. It looks like when finished it will be a pleasing spectical. So the council, as with other similar towns, should target the high end demographic then by building high end shops there as a statement. The odd shop spread around the existing city won't do a thing.

Then at least part of the city will be targeted a higher spend audience and re-engage those people while removing the negativity of the rest of the city as they will not have to go. They should also look at some restraraunts in the area as well. Central 6 biggest failing is that it has no food outlets and is limited in size. It is, though, always busy.

The rest of the city should then focus on the student population. They will eat in the chains you've mentioned and they do spend money. So the accommodation angle is pretty good and I would target any shops towards them in those areas. The sport centre and hotel ideally would be demolished with an open walkway through it.

stupot07

If you're new to Coventry, that Friargate junction is a leaves you in complete buffudlement.

Yeah, posted about that a month or so ago. I don't tend to go up there, but when to central six and didn't know whether I was allowed to pull out or not. The red 'shared' spaces are bonkers.

Users who are viewing this thread