Coffee Shop Or The Pub ? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Got it sorted for match days.

Coffee in a coffee shop for fannys.
Pints of beer for men in the pub.

Joking aside i really dont get the coffee shop appeal at all. And you always get someone on a laptop pretending to do some work. Why is that?

Free wifi, attention that people want to see them being cool from working from a coffee shop.

Sick Boy

I wenthink to get my hair cut this morning so went to get a takeaway coffee as had some time to kill, it was full of young blokes sitting around having 'epic banter'

Nick

Administrator
I wenthink to get my hair cut this morning so went to get a takeaway coffee as had some time to kill, it was full of young blokes sitting around having 'epic banter'

Bet none of them were trying to make the other smell their fingers after Friday night. The world is gone.

bringbackrattles

My thread has caused a stir (pardon the pun ) and the pub has come out on top. To me cafes and coffee shops have there place, but to me you can't beat the pub for proper banter etc. I went in the Red Lion last Saturday down Walsgrave as the coach back from Nottingham dropped us outside the pub. First time in there for a couple of years, and it had people eating meals, and was boring in my opinion.
Even pubs now have changed.

clint van damme

My thread has caused a stir (pardon the pun ) and the pub has come out on top. To me cafes and coffee shops have there place, but to me you can't beat the pub for proper banter etc. I went in the Red Lion last Saturday down Walsgrave as the coach back from Nottingham dropped us outside the pub. First time in there for a couple of years, and it had people eating meals, and was boring in my opinion.
Even pubs now have changed.

i think it's hard for a lot of pubs to survive nowadays without serving food.

bringbackrattles

i think it's hard for a lot of pubs to survive nowadays without serving food.
I guess your right. But I enjoy pubs like the Wheatsheaf and Three Horseshoes on Foleshill Road, spit and sawdust type boozers. Then again that's more to do with the football, jukebox on and loads of banter.
In the summer its great eating outside a pub with a few beers, so its who you are with and where you are I guess ?

clint van damme

I guess your right. But I enjoy pubs like the Wheatsheaf and Three Horseshoes on Foleshill Road, spit and sawdust type boozers. Then again that's more to do with the football, jukebox on and loads of banter.
In the summer its great eating outside a pub with a few beers, so its who you are with and where you are I guess ?

I love those type of boozers but it's difficult for them to survive unfortunately. I certainly don't give them much trade now compared to years ago when I was out nearly every night.
You watch, give it a few years when we're either too old or croaked it and they'll have a renaissance and they'll be every where again!

Nick

Administrator
I love those type of boozers but it's difficult for them to survive unfortunately. I certainly don't give them much trade now compared to years ago when I was out nearly every night.
You watch, give it a few years when we're either too old or croaked it and they'll have a renaissance and they'll be every where again!
It's because people have gone to coffee shops instead of pubs so haven't carried it on :(

Sick Boy

The problem is that alcohol now costs way too much in pubs. I paid £6.50 for a pint of lager the other day in a non-gastro type pub.

Otis

The problem is that alcohol now costs way too much in pubs. I paid £6.50 for a pint of lager the other day in a non-gastro type pub.
Seriously?

That's crazy. It's no wonder pubs close down and more people just drink at home.

clint van damme

Seriously?

That's crazy. It's no wonder pubs close down and more people just drink at home.

it is but the disparity in cost between buying a coffee in a coffee shop and having one a home is probably larger as a percentage of cost.
I don't suppose many people go out a sink a gallon of coffee though.

Nick

Administrator
it is but the disparity in cost between buying a coffee in a coffee shop and having one a home is probably larger as a percentage of cost.
I don't suppose many people go out a sink a gallon of coffee though.
They just buy tiny sandwiches and cake for silly money instead.

SBAndy

Seriously?

Reduce tax on breweries/alcohol sold in licensed premises, tax the tits off supermarket alcohol. Would help curb the drinking culture massively on 2 or 3 fronts (which I know sounds strange, but yeah).

Users who are viewing this thread