Coronation (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Sorry, Rob, but that is wrong. I got set upon by a car full of Leeds fans. I was simply walking home from the game with my girlfriend. I was doing nothing other than just have a City scarf on and walking down the road. The car was driving by, saw I was a City fan and all they all jumped out of the car and attacked me, breaking my nose.

On another occasion, I was with friends, again, just walking, this time TO a game and this was Man U.

There were 4 of us and a group of what must have been 40 or 50 Man U fans saw us and ran towards us. We had to run like crazy and we saw a pub and and went to hide in there.

The locals had to put the door bolt across, because these Man U fans were then trying to break the door down.

So it's untrue to say if you didn't want trouble you didn't get any.
Possibly I'm guilty of taking my own experience to be the norm then or of course possibly you too since yours seems polar opposite to my experience.

Unless of course you've been set upon recently too, in which case maybe you just have one of those punchable faces 🤣

skybluetony176

Just been reading up on booing the national anthem and it seems it’s somewhat of a tradition to boo it or chant Liverpool Liverpool repeatedly while it’s on, the later certainty happened too yesterday. The origins of it actually dates back to an antiestablishment protest against Thatchers government in the 80’s.

SBbucks

If Liverpool were expressing what most felt. every ground would be booing but it’s been the complete opposite. Liverpool have been in the minority in all this

Did I say most? I said many. Liverpool supporters at least have the courage to make their views known, rather than mumbling their way through while pretending to sing the dirge, as most people do (just in case anyone sees them on TV). The number of people singing it with any conviction is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIMOC

Did I say most? I said many. Liverpool supporters at least have the courage to make their views known, rather than mumbling their way through while pretending to sing the dirge, as most people do (just in case anyone sees them on TV). The number of people singing it with any conviction is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have the courage? Lol

I know I’m on the right side when I don’t share the opinions as the scousers. biggest hypocrites in football.

GIMOC

Just been reading up on booing the national anthem and it seems it’s somewhat of a tradition to boo it or chant Liverpool Liverpool repeatedly while it’s on, the later certainty happened too yesterday. The origins of it actually dates back to an antiestablishment protest against Thatchers government in the 80’s.

really? show me Fa cup finals in the past where Liverpool have booed the national anthem? It’s only been recent times.

GIMOC

skip to 42 mins.

RegTheDonk

Why boo? Why not just stay silent? Makes their point but stays respectful of those who want to sing the national anthem.

RegTheDonk

So it's nothing to do with the Royal Family they just hated Thatcher? Someone better tell them she's been dead a while.

skybluetony176

really? show me Fa cup finals in the past where Liverpool have booed the national anthem? It’s only been recent times.
It’s well documented. Look for yourself. You shouldn’t have to look too long as a few newspapers are now starting to run it as a story. It’s fair to say it died down for a few years but has made a comeback in the last few years, again as an anti establishment movement in protest of the current state of the country.

Ian1779

If Liverpool were expressing what most felt. every ground would be booing but it’s been the complete opposite. Liverpool have been in the minority in all this
So how many actual games were there on Saturday that played the national anthem?

5 PL games was it? Hardly a resounding representation of the full society.

rob9872

I was at the 1981 and 1982 League Cup finals (Liverpool end) and I can assure you the booing when the NA was played was intense.
That's simply a lie.

The myth is that it started about Maggies managed decline statement (which she never actually said btw) but was after the Toxteth riots. Those riots were in July 81 and after the 81 Cup final.

skybluetony176

On further reading Liverpool fans fractured relationship with the national anthem goes back further. As long ago as the 50’s they’d sing god save our team instead and they’ve sang you’ll never walk alone over it when played since the 70’s.

chiefdave

That's simply a lie.

The myth is that it started about Maggies managed decline statement (which she never actually said btw) but was after the Toxteth riots. Those riots were in July 81 and after the 81 Cup final.
It was the chancellor of the day, Geoffrey Howe, to Thatcher
We do not want to find ourselves concentrating all the limited cash that may have to be made available into Liverpool and having nothing left for possibly more promising areas such as the West Midlands or, even, the North East.
It would be even more regrettable if some of the brighter ideas for renewing economic activity were to be sown only on relatively stony ground on the banks of the Mersey.
I cannot help feeling that the option of managed decline is one which we should not forget altogether. We must not expend all our limited resources in trying to make water flow uphill.

RegTheDonk

On further reading Liverpool fans fractured relationship with the national anthem goes back further. As long ago as the 50’s they’d sing god save our team instead and they’ve sang you’ll never walk alone over it when played since the 70’s.
On further reading? So it's not Thatcher now lol. Keep reading please Tony I'd like to know WHY they hate the National Anthem. I'll bet most of those who booed this weekend don't know either.

skybluetony176

On further reading? So it's not Thatcher now lol. Keep reading please Tony I'd like to know WHY they hate the National Anthem. I'll bet most of those who booed this weekend don't know either.
The Thatcher era was when the booing started happening. The using of the national anthem for protest predates that period. It’s not difficult to keep up if you read and then comprehend what I’ve posted.

duffer

This article, more than anything else I've read, might help explain why some people weren't so keen on the Coronation.

For me, even though I'm proud to describe myself as a leftie, there are better hills to die on than the monarchy imho.

However, at the point we're taking money from food banks to fund the Coronation, and suppressing even pre-agreed and legitimate peaceful protest, I think it's gone too far.

skybluetony176

This article, more than anything else I've read, might help explain why some people weren't so keen on the Coronation.

For me, even though I'm proud to describe myself as a leftie, there are better hills to die on than the monarchy imho.

However, at the point we're taking money from food banks to fund the Coronation, and suppressing even pre-agreed and legitimate peaceful protest, I think it's gone too far.
The free speech angle is very worrying. Just seen some footage of a journalist being arrested for filming a stop oil protester at Westminster on Saturday. That’s a dangerous precedent to be setting. It’s a double whammy for freedom of speech, stopping freedom of speech and stopping freedom of press. We’re in despot dictatorship territory here.

duffer

I don't think anyone could genuinely pin down the motives of tens of thousands of different people.

However, if I was going to have a guess at the general thrust of it, I'd say it was something along the lines of expressing resentment at being expected to kow tow to a system that does very little for them.

duffer

Just a thought this, but when I went to England games in the 80s & 90s (when it was cheap, easy, and rough round the edges), I sang the national anthem with pride. But for me it was about supporting the England team not the monarchy.

I'd feel a lot different if they were playing it at a Cov game, it's got nothing to do with my team then.

Anyhow, not sure exactly where this goes, but at least I can say I'm one of the few city fans who has seen Jose Perdomo score! 😁

(It's 5:00 minutes in...)

olderskyblue

I thought coronation day was brilliant, one of the most special days of my life. I”ll remember it for the rest of my days.

my Grandson was born…

oscillatewildly

That's simply a lie.

I was at both finals, I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT THERE WAS BOOING AT BOTH OF THOSE FINALS.
Sorry to have to ram your 'lying' accusations back up your arse, rob.

SBT

Got to love this forum sometimes

“I was present at two different Liverpool cup finals and can confirm there was booing”

“I have pulled up the Wikipedia entry for the Toxteth riots and confirmed you are a liar, case closed”

RegTheDonk

The Thatcher era was when the booing started happening. The using of the national anthem for protest predates that period. It’s not difficult to keep up if you read and then comprehend what I’ve posted.
I've read and comprehended what you've posted and I accept you don't know yourself and you can't tell my why.

RegTheDonk

I don't think anyone could genuinely pin down the motives of tens of thousands of different people.

However, if I was going to have a guess at the general thrust of it, I'd say it was something along the lines of expressing resentment at being expected to kow tow to a system that does very little for them.
But we don't see booing it in such magnatude from other clubs duff - yet vast numbers of common folk surely are in the same position nationwide, ie. they don't get anything out of the Royal Family. I'd would genuinely like to know why Liverpool fans boo, so I can understand their reasons.

Anyroad, time to cheer a team on. Good luck all wherever you're able to watch us from today.

Grendel

I've read and comprehended what you've posted and I accept you don't know yourself and you can't tell my why.

He will I’m sure spend the rest of the afternoon trying to find out - after all he’s got nothing better to do

Users who are viewing this thread