Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (35 Viewers)

Grendel

I was speaking to my mate last night who lives there. Whilst their "lockdown" is stricter in theory, he tells me that many people & small businesses have been flouting it, and he, himself has been bending the rules with regards the print-out permission slips and has never been stopped or questioned by the local gendarmes, who, in his words, "sit idly by, continuing their normal practice of leching at women & harrasing the immigrants"

Someone who lives in France has phoned into a talk show today and said the same and said it’s getting worse. Schools starting and her autistic son has to travel in a taxi

Terry Gibson's perm

Starmer has already proved that dealing with Johnson is like shooting fish in a barrel, he has nowhere to hide now maybe he should just take his paternity leave. For weeks look at the charts as soon as the charts look bad ignore the charts.

Cummings the piece of shit that he is has his hands full trying to spin for Alexander Johnson.

skybluetony176

I don’t hate Boris. I just think he’s entirely unsuitable for the job of Prime Minister. Especially during a crisis. And I don’t want people to die or lose their livelihood unnecessarily.

This is why you don’t elect clowns to run the country. This is the job he’s always wanted, I won’t feel sorry for him. He should have the good grace to realise it’s beyond him and let someone competent take charge. He won’t though, because he’s an arrogant muppet.
Same here. I actually really liked Boris when he was out of politics and a TV personality. Mind you, you could say he’s still out of politics and is a TV personality. He’s a bit like the Colonel, just because his face is on the bucket it doesn’t mean he’s out back frying the chicken.

clint van damme

This might show whether some nations are masking the levels of Covid deaths .
Unfortunately it's not a universal study .

Tracking covid-19 excess deaths across countries

Edit:- Quite a contrast between say Belgium and Turkey.

Good article. Be interesting to see Germanys stats when they are eventually released. There number of deaths does seem incredibly low no matter how well they've managed the situation.
Our official figures at 71% of excess deaths suggests we've done reasonably well at recording the mortality rate compared to a lot of countries.

Grendel

Good article. Be interesting to see Germanys stats when they are eventually released. There number of deaths does seem incredibly low no matter how well they've managed the situation.
Our official figures at 71% of excess deaths suggests we've done reasonably well at recording the mortality rate compared to a lot of countries.

Yes some look highly dubious

Terry Gibson's perm

It’s incredible how badly affected Lombardia has been compared to the rest of the country and that it didn’t spread to the same extent.

Do you think the traditional greetings will end after this as I never really enjoyed the scratchy kisses?

skybluetony176

Although May herself was absolutely useless, both as Foreign Secretary and PM.
Although both true I doubt her sole reason for getting into politics was to be world king like Boris. I’m sure she was ambitious and ruthless to reach the top however she had some principles. For instance when the “deal that no PM should accept” was clearly that she honoured her partner’s wishes in Northern Ireland and went back to the table. Unlike Boris who after making that statement got the job and went straight back to the deal once he was world king.

Astute

Starmer has already proved that dealing with Johnson is like shooting fish in a barrel, he has nowhere to hide now maybe he should just take his paternity leave. For weeks look at the charts as soon as the charts look bad ignore the charts.

Cummings the piece of shit that he is has his hands full trying to spin for Alexander Johnson.
Starmer is now shooting down Boris like I thought he would. Not a hard job to do but at least he looks very able. But I am a little worried about a possible lack of charisma. Not a problem when it is Boris but he will become cannon fodder at some time. The Tories are good at this. Bury bad news with a new leader.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Literally anyone.
It was fucking obvious how useless this crew were. They were always going to fuck something up. I would have said Brexit, I obviously didn't realise a global pandemic would give them an earlier opportunity.
Take your pick, most of the other parties try that but the blue one focuses a lot more on getting power than doing anything good with it. Their record for the last decade has been appalling but they get a bumper majority. Complain and you’re told you’re sneering and condescending

Anyone but the Tories really. Hopefully Labour won’t be such a shitshow next election. But even the Tories without a massive majority and unlimited good Will would be a start.

While there is no doubt the tories are atrocious, they keep winning elections.

Not all of the electorate are stupid, and they keep rejecting labour as somehow even worse that the tories.

If there were some genuine decent opposition I'm sure they would get voted for.

skybluetony176

Raises some good points. The knock on effects could be huge, both politically and economically. As May points out there is a risk nationalism and isolationism could rise further and have long term damaging effects globally. Think on what the likes of Orban, Trump and Bolsonaro could do if they successfully harness that sentiment further. Economically, countries who have a grip on this and have system in place or being built to facilitate near full opening of the economy could see growth accelerate while countries like us will muddle through, economically damaged for the foreseeable future, and with a further reduced global influence.
Not sure about Bolsonaro though. The article I saw on the news last night showed was a mix of local politicians just overriding his advice and in areas where that wasn’t happening people that voted for him are turning on him. If that escalates I’m not sure he’ll even survive to the next election.

Astute

Not all of the electorate are stupid, and they keep rejecting labour as somehow even worse that the tories.

Labour frequently make a bad choice of leader out of the candidates we have. At least this time we have made the best choice out of a very average bunch but it isn't a career politician we have chosen. The start of his title should give a clue. He knows more about life than all the Tories put together. He has only come into politics in recent years. He didn't have to as he will have taken a drop in income to do so. And his intelligence can't be questioned.

LastGarrison

Just on the discussions about schools, interestingly my Missus's cousin is a Headmaster in Wales and he was in a meeting with Education Wales the other week where they were discussing that the return of students wouldn't be until after the October half term so starting again in November.

Obviously this is a fluid situation so will be constantly changing but interesting that this was what they were looking at.

clint van damme

But that's what they're good at, winning elections. No two ways about it.
Don't think the factions that exist in Labour don't exist in the Tory party but they no how to keep it together when it matters.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just on the discussions about schools, interestingly my Missus's cousin is a Headmaster in Wales and he was in a meeting with Education Wales the other week where they were discussing that the return of students wouldn't be until after the October half term so starting again in November.

Obviously this is a fluid situation so will be constantly changing but interesting that this was what they were looking at.

That would be pure chaos for those moving into secondary from primary

wingy

Interesting .
Doesn't really reflect the media speculation or Gov't hints we've been getting this past week .

shmmeee

There’s a difference between being stupid and not paying attention TBF.

Most voted with only Brexit in mind and they happily admit that. That wasn’t stupid per se but it was reckless assuming that Brexit was all that mattered.

shmmeee

But that's what they're good at, winning elections. No two ways about it.
Don't think the factions that exist in Labour don't exist in the Tory party but they no how to keep it together when it matters.

They didn’t keep it together. That’s the irony. Johnson kicked out all the moderates in his party because they didn’t swear undying loyalty. He did the Stalinist purge people accused Corbyn of wanting. All that’s left are morons who are loyal to him now.

By insisting on purity the Brexiteers removed any competence. At least Corbyn just made it so Labours competent MPs weren’t on the front bench, they were still there to come back one Corbyn was done. Johnson’s probably destroyed the Conservatives as a serious party of government for a generation.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

They didn’t keep it together. That’s the irony. Johnson kicked out all the moderates in his party because they didn’t swear undying loyalty. He did the Stalinist purge people accused Corbyn of wanting. All that’s left are morons who are loyal to him now.

By insisting on purity the Brexiteers removed any competence. At least Corbyn just made it so Labours competent MPs weren’t on the front bench, they were still there to come back one Corbyn was done. Johnson’s probably destroyed the Conservatives as a serious party of government for a generation.
Wtf has any of this got to do with coronavirus ? Absolutely fuck all.

Sky Blue Pete

Given the benign nature of the virus to under 45’s and our ability to be creative with risk and how we deal with it. We need some clever thinking don’t we from King Boris. We need proper real time testing, economy back up and running with social distancing and an element of social responsibility with masks and staying out of the way when poorly and shielding those in vulnerable groups but Boris please let’s do it better than we have with care homes where we’ve royally messed up with ppe and sick pay and moving positive patients back in

shmmeee

Wtf has any of this got to do with coronavirus ? Absolutely fuck all.

You don’t think the competence of the government to deal with the biggest government intervention in our lives since the war is worthy of discussion in a thread about the politics of coronavirus?

Interesting take.

Ring Of Steel

Given the benign nature of the virus to under 45’s and our ability to be creative with risk and how we deal with it. We need some clever thinking don’t we from King Boris. We need proper real time testing, economy back up and running with social distancing and an element of social responsibility with masks and staying out of the way when poorly and shielding those in vulnerable groups but Boris please let’s do it better than we have with care homes where we’ve royally messed up with ppe and sick pay and moving positive patients back in

You're joking right?

Can you name one single plan that he has delivered on, I mean literally just one that he has done well? Let alone something which needs careful thought and detailed planning?

Ring Of Steel

You don’t think the competence of the government to deal with the biggest government intervention in our lives since the war is worthy of discussion in a thread about the politics of coronavirus?

Interesting take.

Standard Tory behaviour- make a point they don't like and they will try to deflect/ bury it.

wingy

According to the WHO we are currently getting more new cases daily than Spain, Italy, Germany & France combined. And yet we are the ones talking about stopping lockdown.

I wonder how thats going to end up.
I'd have to see the stats.
Think I saw that Germany had 3k per day which would surprise me as they're opening up.

clint van damme

Good points. But the last couple of elections have been pretty much dominated by Brexit so could probably be classed as anomalies.
In general they pull together at elections.
Picking a front bench based on Brexit ideology was never a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread