Cov city centre (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueCharlie9

The out of town centres killed most city centres. Given over to eateries and pound shops. That is the planner‘s fault as much as anyone.
Planners can only make decisions based on national policy.
Thatcher introduced out of town centres and there has been no turning back in 40 years.

Sbarcher

City Centres need to be entertainment and living spaces now really. Students and young single people, and even some assisted living or retirement stuff too all makes sense. Keeps transport costs low, lots of social activity near by. Office/coworking space too, whatever that looks like these days.

There should be parks/event space, things to do/see, bars and restaurants and the odd boutique or service based retail. The days of flicking though HMV for a Saturday afternoon are well over. I can see clothing, services, and maybe homeware sticking around, I’d encourage showroom style places like kitchens back to the centre, anywhere that doesn’t need customers to take large boxes to their car. But beyond that I can’t see much sustaining itself.
John Lewis are planning to repurpose some of their buildings into housing to bring life back to city centres. Agree above to make city centres a social space and not just retail.

Mcbean

Used to live in Coventry and go regularly but moved away - just to remind you it was the City of Culture last year - that did nothing ( imo) for the content in the city but for others like Hull it was a sea change ( no pun intended) what a massive waste of money and obviously some was siphoned off and being investigated - was incredibly disappointed that city of culture status just seemed to be minority groups banging a drum with no substance !

Otis

Used to live in Coventry and go regularly but moved away - just to remind you it was the City of Culture last year - that did nothing ( imo) for the content in the city but for others like Hull it was a sea change ( no pun intended) what a massive waste of money and obviously some was siphoned off and being investigated - was incredibly disappointed that city of culture status just seemed to be minority groups banging a drum with no substance !
To be fair, there was a little thing called COVID. It ruined everything. So many things got cancelled. I know that as fact because the thing I was doing as part of the City of Culture was cancelled.

Can't compare it to Hull, or to any other City of Culture event.

COVID totally decimated everything and everything had to be toned down and people just wouldn't come after the pandemic either.

It was just terrible timing and without the pandemic I'm sure it would have been a big success. So much that was booked for the event had to be cancelled. And so much was toned down, like I said

Mcbean

To be fair, there was a little thing called COVID. It ruined everything. So many things got cancelled. I know that as fact because the thing I was doing as part of the City of Culture was cancelled.

Can't compare it to Hull, or to any other City of Culture event.

COVID totally decimated everything and everything had to be toned down and people just wouldn't come after the pandemic either.

It was just terrible timing and without the pandemic I'm sure it would have been a big success. So much that was booked for the event had to be cancelled. And so much was toned down, like I said
Fair enough - living away from Coventry you don’t see all the detail but it was disappointing what we did see when we visited - not a lot seemed to be for the city

duffer

It's all opinions, of course, but mine is that the city centre is an architectural monstrosity that started to go wrong at the point they put that ridiculous escalator through the middle of the upper precinct. From that day onwards it just went further backwards, at least in appearance, with the planners having no clear idea of what they wanted the city centre to be.

There are some nice bits still, of course, if you can dodge the deliveroo riders, but a lot of it just feels desolate and in desperate need of repurposing.

I doubt the current council have either the ability or funds to do it properly, so I don't see it improving any time soon, except perhaps in terms of student accommodation.

shmmeee

It's all opinions, of course, but mine is that the city centre is an architectural monstrosity that started to go wrong at the point they put that ridiculous escalator through the middle of the upper precinct. From that day onwards it just went further backwards, at least in appearance, with the planners having no clear idea of what they wanted the city centre to be.

There are some nice bits still, of course, if you can dodge the deliveroo riders, but a lot of it just feels desolate and in desperate need of repurposing.

I doubt the current council have either the ability or funds to do it properly, so I don't see it improving any time soon, except perhaps in terms of student accommodation.

Isn’t that basically the plan for CCS?

I think the public realm once that’s done will be OK generally TBH.

JAM See

Donald Gibson (chief architect of Coventry city centre) was a visionary who deliberately prioritised pedestrians over traffic in his design.

The fact is that when you're the first, mistakes are made and improvements are implemented in subsequent designs.

The huge crossroads at the bottom of the upper precinct has lots of potential as a space but the council appears to prefer tinkering around the edges instead of radical change at the heart.

On a side note, the Coventry Cross should be where the fountain is. Why put it the wrong side of Primark, where its mainly seen by patrons of 'Spoons?

duffer

Isn’t that basically the plan for CCS?

I think the public realm once that’s done will be OK generally TBH.

That bit might be ok, though it's already got a bit of a "concrete wasteland" feel to it to me, but most of the stuff north of there is a mess, imho.

I don't see any vision or drive in the council or the planners, other than for pushing through substantial housing developments (without any supporting infrastructure) on the edge of town or in the green belt. The centre is largely being left to die, or at best fend for itself, tbh.

duffer

Donald Gibson (chief architect of Coventry city centre) was a visionary who deliberately prioritised pedestrians over traffic in his design.

The fact is that when you're the first, mistakes are made and improvements are implemented in subsequent designs.

The huge crossroads at the bottom of the upper precinct has lots of potential as a space but the council appears to prefer tinkering around the edges instead of radical change at the heart.

On a side note, the Coventry Cross should be where the fountain is. Why put it the wrong side of Primark, where its mainly seen by patrons of 'Spoons?

The precinct was a brilliant piece of post-war planning, and personally I don't think many of the subsequent "improvements" ever added to it.

The escalator, in particular, was an abomination, again imho.

David O'Day

That bit might be ok, though it's already got a bit of a "concrete wasteland" feel to it to me, but most of the stuff north of there is a mess, imho.

I don't see any vision or drive in the council or the planners, other than for pushing through substantial housing developments (without any supporting infrastructure) on the edge of town or in the green belt. The centre is largely being left to die, or at best fend for itself, tbh.
but CCS is rebuilding a massive part of the centre and that is not the last plan they have for the city centre

shmmeee

I dunno, CU has most of Far Gosford to council house/pool meadow sewn up and seems to be heading in the right direction.

Broadgate and the precinct looks miles better than I can ever remember, ditto the burgers and by the transport museum. Belgrade plaza is alright. Sky dome and spin street is OK. By the station is on its way and miles better since the bridge. By the way is OK. I’d say after CCS is done, it’s only really Primark and a couple of similar buildings and the area between the registry office and little park street that’s still looking crappy. And at least that’s got a nice mural on now.

Certainly light years ahead of when I was a kid, when my partner moved here she was surprised how nice it was because everyone had told her how crap Coventry is. Go to places like Southampton or Northampton (or even places without Hampton in the name!) and you’d see it could be a lot worse. All we’re missing is the posh bits that are stuck in Warwickshire really.

shmmeee

I dunno, CU has most of Far Gosford to council house/pool meadow sewn up and seems to be heading in the right direction.

Broadgate and the precinct looks miles better than I can ever remember, ditto the burgers and by the transport museum. Belgrade plaza is alright. Sky dome and spin street is OK. By the station is on its way and miles better since the bridge. By the way is OK. I’d say after CCS is done, it’s only really Primark and a couple of similar buildings and the area between the registry office and little park street that’s still looking crappy. And at least that’s got a nice mural on now.

Certainly light years ahead of when I was a kid, when my partner moved here she was surprised how nice it was because everyone had told her how crap Coventry is. Go to places like Southampton or Northampton (or even places without Hampton in the name!) and you’d see it could be a lot worse. All we’re missing is the posh bits that are stuck in Warwickshire really.

I don’t even know what half these typos were supposed to be, sorry lads you’re on your own.

David O'Day

And when might these plans come to fruition? I've been hearing this for 30 odd years, please forgive my cynicism!
Well CCS is about to start as they have CPed the buildings

They can't just knock down the city centre and rebuild, it also changes as the world changes. A plan for a city centre 20 years ago won't work now.

They are working on it, there's multiple teams who's job is the regeneration of Coventry.

The plans they have ae step by step

Friargate was to improve peoples first impressions of the city when stepping off the train
CCS is the next area along from there
They want to look at the area around ironmonger row etc next

duffer

I don’t even know what half these typos were supposed to be, sorry lads you’re on your own.

I think I got the basic idea, mate. 😁

The fact is, as good as some of these spots are, it still feels like patchwork to me, and has done for a very long time.

Like I say, it's opinions, I'd love the city centre to thrive again, but I'm not sure there's a genuine architectural vision there of how it could happen (or in fairness the funds to make it work).

shmmeee

I think I got the basic idea, mate. 😁

The fact is, as good as some of these spots are, it still feels like patchwork to me, and has done for a very long time.

Like I say, it's opinions, I'd love the city centre to thrive again, but I'm not sure there's a genuine architectural vision there of how it could happen (or in fairness the funds to make it work).

Yeah it’s definitely a patchwork. I think that’s the nature of the beast though. Councils can only really enable private investment and often that’s fallen through.

Personally I’d still bulldoze a load of it for a 20k stadium and a mini Central Park. But that’s me and my Sim City addiction.

Otis

Because that's where the original Coventry Cross was. Very close to where Wetherspoons is. They have tried to locate it back to its origin.

I think the first Coventry Cross dates back to the 1600's.

So, it does make sense.

Ashdown

One of the biggest mistakes they made in Coventry was not rebuilding the cathedral to its former glory. They did it in Dresden and they are quickly repairing Notre Dam. So everything is possible .
The new cathedral is a concrete monstrosity in truth. If this was done in the 1960s the building would already have 60+ years of age to it and look fantastic.

NorthernWisdom

One of the biggest mistakes they made in Coventry was not rebuilding the cathedral to its former glory. They did it in Dresden and they are quickly repairing Notre Dam. So everything is possible .
The new cathedral is a concrete monstrosity in truth. If this was done in the 1960s the building would already have 60+ years of age to it and look fantastic.
Blimey, heard it all. Coventry Cathedral wasn't overly special - was just a parish church upgraded to cathedral really. We have Holy Trinity next to it, the ruins actually cost plenty to maintain as ruins but are haunting, peaceful, moving...

And the new cathedral is bold, different, radical.

Together they're something that makes Coventry unique the world over!

Ashdown

Blimey, heard it all. Coventry Cathedral wasn't overly special - was just a parish church upgraded to cathedral really. We have Holy Trinity next to it, the ruins actually cost plenty to maintain as ruins but are haunting, peaceful, moving...

And the new cathedral is bold, different, radical.

Together they're something that makes Coventry unique the world over!
That’s your opinion, I’ve spoken to Americans, Canadians and Spanish tourists amongst others and they were all a bit disappointed in the 1960s building.
The old cathedral was a fair size and would have fit in much better with ‘ cathedral quarter ‘ as they call it now.

NorthernWisdom

That’s your opinion, I’ve spoken to Americans, Canadians and Spanish tourists amongst others and they were all a bit disappointed in the 1960s building.
The old cathedral was a fair size and would have fit in much better with ‘ cathedral quarter ‘ as they call it now.
It's not an opinion, it was a parish church upgraded to a cathedral. The rest yep opinion, bit new cathedral constantly appears in lists of greatest 20th century buildings, and most tourists are quite amazed with it, so you've spoken to the minority.

Ashdown

Well I’m genuinely pleased to hear that….I’ve never seen it included in any lists of that nature but I hope it’s true.

Ashdown

To be fair the trip advisor reviews are very positive so fair play to your argument.
I was personally very impressed with the Frauenkirchen in Dresden where they have rebuilt the original building as best they could….and that was under communist rule.

NorthernWisdom

To be fair the trip advisor reviews are very positive so fair play to your argument.
I was personally very impressed with the Frauenkirchen in Dresden where they have rebuilt the original building as best they could….and that was under communist rule.
Other things can be impressive too, it's not an either/or ;) probably costs more to maintain a ruin than a building with a roof, too.

As a small aside, we nearly got this!

default.jpg

SkyBlueSoul

Agree with a lot of this. City centre was shite when I grew up but I enjoy seeing what's changed when I'm back now, it's come on massively.

Had a similar chat with my best mate's missus as well. He hated Cov, moved to London as soon as he could and tells anyone who'll listen how shit it was/is. Met up for a mate's birthday in town and walked them round by the cathedrals/Hay Lane/council house and she couldn't believe how nice it was.

Otis

It's not an opinion, it was a parish church upgraded to a cathedral. The rest yep opinion, bit new cathedral constantly appears in lists of greatest 20th century buildings, and most tourists are quite amazed with it, so you've spoken to the minority.
Yeah. Have to say, I don't like it much myself at all, but anyone I have shown it to has been very impressed.

And I love the ruins. It's better as ruins than it would have been as the old cathedral I think.

Otis

Agree with a lot of this. City centre was shite when I grew up but I enjoy seeing what's changed when I'm back now, it's come on massively.

Had a similar chat with my best mate's missus as well. He hated Cov, moved to London as soon as he could and tells anyone who'll listen how shit it was/is. Met up for a mate's birthday in town and walked them round by the cathedrals/Hay Lane/council house and she couldn't believe how nice it was.
Yup, my missus says the same

Born in Coventry, left as a child, thought it a dump.

Came back last year and was really impressed .

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Went into Cov city centre to see Dippy last week. Parked in the Barracks and walked up Hertford street, somewhere I haven't been for over a decade. The whole street stinks of piss and is one of the most awful places in any city centre in the UK I've been, and I've been to a lot. Is it going to be demolished because if not it should be. The people of Coventry , or any city, don't deserve this. It's truly embarrassing and an insult to the city's history and it's reputation to rise from the ashes.
I walked past that place where Kiefer Sutherland is due to play and wondered whether the artists entrance round the back is any better. It can't be any worse.

shmmeee

Went into Cov city centre to see Dippy last week. Parked in the Barracks and walked up Hertford street, somewhere I haven't been for over a decade. The whole street stinks of piss and is one of the most awful places in any city centre in the UK I've been, and I've been to a lot. Is it going to be demolished because if not it should be. The people of Coventry , or any city, don't deserve this. It's truly embarrassing and an insult to the city's history and it's reputation to rise from the ashes.
I walked past that place where Kiefer Sutherland is due to play and wondered whether the artists entrance round the back is any better. It can't be any worse.

Yeah it’s going as part of CCS:

1689275126712.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread