Cov Council Going Bankrupt? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Be interesting to see Maton and Duggins justifying it.

Grendel

It's because they don't have enough money to supply essential services due to reduced central government funding and the inability to raise council tax to a level needed to cover the shortfall

Pretty easy to explain

Nothing to do with the £50 million potential equal claim payments then?

JulianDarbyFTW

I think the BBC reported part of the reason as "increasing inflation and social care costs". But surely that applies to all councils in one way, shape, or form.

I did see some stats that showed a ~10% reduction in the population of Coventry since Covid, which if true (I have doubts) suggests a decrease in council income too.

skybluetony176

I think the BBC reported part of the reason as "increasing inflation and social care costs". But surely that applies to all councils in one way, shape, or form.

I did see some stats that showed a ~10% reduction in the population of Coventry since Covid, which if true (I have doubts) suggests a decrease in council income too.
There’s literally dozens of councils facing the same issue. Regardless of which political parties run that council. And in the majority of cases it’s down to cuts from central government.

Grendel

jimmyhillsfanclub

A lot of councils have also taken on huge levels of debt in order to gamble on the markets, commercial property investments etc.

.......apparently with not much thought into what happened when the cost of that debt increased significantly (as was inevitable)

Phil & Kirstie have a lot to answer for.

Sky Blue Pete

How does a council go bankrupt exactly?
Reduce their funding by £1bn and then increase the adult social care requirement by withdrawing any safety net at a time of record cost of living rises
All councils will find themselves in this position
Can you imagine the alternative of taking hundreds of thousands pounds out of adult social care locally!

David O'Day

Nothing to do with the £50 million potential equal claim payments then?
Not massively no, CCC main issues are the lack of central funding and the inability to tax the shortfall

You can believe what you want but that is the words of a senior officer.

Thanks for playing though

David O'Day

Reduce their funding by £1bn and then increase the adult social care requirement by withdrawing any safety net at a time of record cost of living rises
All councils will find themselves in this position
Can you imagine the alternative of taking hundreds of thousands pounds out of adult social care locally!
pretty much this, people need to understand that no matter how low the funding levels get the council still needs to provide a certain level of service even if they can't really afford this.

David O'Day

If anyone else wants to go on about "equal claims" then remember this. If central government properly funded councils of all stripes there wouldn't be these issues and the equal claims costs would be easily managed.

Blaming equal claims for a council going bust is like someone saying they bankrupt because they brought a loaf of bread to eat. They only become issues because something else has gone horribly wrong before hand.

NorthernWisdom

If they were the only ones there might be a point, but given local authorities have been encouraged to make risky investments to fund services, and many are on the brink (including some that may come as a surprise if they fall) then the answer is clearly that central government have squeezed funding for years, attempted to make a small state by stealth and don't care about the crash in support for the vulnerable as a result.

Sky Blue Pete

If they were the only ones there might be a point, but given local authorities have been encouraged to make risky investments to fund services, and many are on the brink (including some that may come as a surprise if they fall) then the answer is clearly that central government have squeezed funding for years, attempted to make a small state by stealth and don't care about the crash in support for the vulnerable as a result.
We know that to be true

Como

My Gran worked a school cook for many decades for the Council, seems like she, well her Estate would be owed a bundle.

NorthernWisdom

Anyway, £30mil funding gap for CCC, £18mil fu9nding gap for WCC. They split Northants after its bankruptcy, and the North has a gap of £17mil, the West £10mil. Leicestershire is a £44mil gap.

In short, it's a shitshow, and central government don't care.

Peter Billing Eyes

There hasn’t been a 10% reduction in the population, it was found that the way they had been calculating the figures had been skewed for a number of years and over-estimated. At one point it was suggested the numbers in Coventry were approaching 380,000, when in fact they were 345,000 people in the city. I’m not sure what effect that would have on funding, but it is wrong to suggest the population has fallen.

shmmeee

Anyway, £30mil funding gap for CCC, £18mil fu9nding gap for WCC. They split Northants after its bankruptcy, and the North has a gap of £17mil, the West £10mil. Leicestershire is a £44mil gap.

In short, it's a shitshow, and central government don't care.

Just more incompetence. Police, Justice, Health, Education, transport, immigration, tax collection. Is there an area of government that isn’t on its knees?

fernandopartridge

I really hate discourse in this country. Every penny a council spends is spent into the private sector (either through purchasing labour, goods and services from people or businesses), why is it that people believe cutting that by a significant % is a sensible idea?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Senior Vick from Alicante

Cov services will be cut next financial year due to the fact that they are over spending on social services as a direct consequence of the Daniel Pelka murder and enquiry. They are overtly risk adverse due to this and spend an excessive proportion of budget in this area.

Flying Fokker

Cov services will be cut next financial year due to the fact that they are over spending on social services as a direct consequence of the Daniel Pelka murder and enquiry. They are overtly risk adverse due to this and spend an excessive proportion of budget in this area.
It’s not that straightforward. Social services, such as older peoples services and also othe day services have spare capacity but are managed in such a way as they are reluctant to take on new service users when there are external service providers. They also work on the basis that people take a direct payment rather than council services. Some strange projects in the past few years. Embraced by some, but none the less, poor use of public funds.

Como

Coventry council used Airbnbs to house ‘vulnerable’ teenage boy accused of rape
Judge accuses local authority of a ‘lackadaisical’ attitude to the 16-year-old’s care after regulated providers refused to give him a place

You can imagine how much this is costing and a classic example of designing a system that could not possibly handle such a situation and then blaming the people stuck with the issue.

wingy

Maybe it will go to the private sector,or switch it to factory farming?It was different country back then what's happening to leasehold not that it's likely , stick a load people in it?

fernandopartridge

Maybe it will go to the private sector,or switch it to factory farming?It was different country back then what's happening to leasehold not that it's likely , stick a load people in it?
The private sector isn't interested, the intention was never for the council to fund it all

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread