Cov Council Going Bankrupt? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

To be fair to the council the best element of it was delivered and that's the deck over the ring road. It was always probably a bit too ambitious.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
That is the best bit, though itself is flawed.

I said from the very start it was never going to get that level of demand for office space (even stuff that was told it was coming to Coventry chose other developments) and now we've got two office blocks (which are only there because the council moved there to 'kickstart' the project) and a small hotel that looks like a car park.

It's main aim should have been creating an integrated main bus and train station, with a much larger element allocated as residential for commuters.

shmmeee

To be fair to the council the best element of it was delivered and that's the deck over the ring road. It was always probably a bit too ambitious.

I still can’t get my head around how residential and office space an hour from London in a housing crisis isn’t commercially viable. Most of the space around our station is flat car parks and grass of some sort. Seems mental. Surely some decent flats or similar would do well there.

fernandopartridge

I still can’t get my head around how residential and office space an hour from London in a housing crisis isn’t commercially viable. Most of the space around our station is flat car parks and grass of some sort. Seems mental. Surely some decent flats or similar would do well there.

I think Cov has missed the boat with departmental relocations outside of London a bit, I know, for example, in Manchester various departments have taken big spaces in new buildings here. It's just developer confidence to build speculatively, and for whatever reason, they just don't have it in Coventry.

There is definitely scope for residential, you'd think the old tax office site would be nailed on for it.

shmmeee

I think Cov has missed the boat with departmental relocations outside of London a bit, I know, for example, in Manchester various departments have taken big spaces in new buildings here. It's just developer confidence to build speculatively, and for whatever reason, they just don't have it in Coventry.

There is definitely scope for residential, you'd think the old tax office site would be nailed on for it.

Im convinced it’s lack of proper executive house TBH. People just don’t want to live here in decent paying jobs.

I mean, Earlsdon is great and all, but hardly gives you the right vibes. After that you’re in Warwick.

Nick

Administrator
Im convinced it’s lack of proper executive house TBH. People just don’t want to live here in decent paying jobs.

I mean, Earlsdon is great and all, but hardly gives you the right vibes. After that you’re in Warwick.

Dont want the snobby cunts here then.

David O'Day

The DoE has moved part of it into the Butts

shmmeee

Dont want the snobby cunts here then.

Snobby cunts bring snobby jobs with snobby money that buys snobby houses and pays snobby council tax which makes a nice city centre unfortunately. Currently any money seems to be siloed in South Warwickshire.

fernandopartridge

It's quite a centralised city, it doesn't have those attractive inner city or suburban areas that have their own centres etc, Earlsdon is an exception but even that is pretty small. Even with executive housing it's likely to be on an estate miles from anything.

fernandopartridge

The DoE has moved part of it into the Butts
That happened 15 years ago TBF, the QCA that moved in was abolished not that long after! Dunno if the DfE retain it as some ex colleagues worked in there for a bit but probably all now work in Cheylesmore House.

shmmeee

It's quite a centralised city, it doesn't have those attractive inner city or suburban areas that have their own centres etc, Earlsdon is an exception but even that is pretty small. Even with executive housing it's likely to be on an estate miles from anything.

This is why we need to expand out and eat local villages. That’s how we got Earlsdon after all.

David O'Day

That happened 15 years ago TBF, the QCA that moved in was abolished not that long after! Dunno if the DfE retain it as some ex colleagues worked in there for a bit but probably all now work in Cheylesmore House.

they are there and they have moved more in, one of the newish buildings next to the rugby ground is now basically them

Users who are viewing this thread