Match Thread Coventry City at AFC Wimbledon Match Thread - Saturday 11th Aug (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Who would you see on the left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones on one side and then potentially Alassani on the other but there is always Shipley who could do a job there.

I just think we have too much of an unbalanced team. A lot of good players but we need to play in a way that will get the best out of them and the team.

As I've said before, Biamou is good but he is pretty much limited to one position. You can't play him as last man because he won't score you enough goals so it means he could be the bridge between the midfield and a clinical striker, but then where do you put Andreu?

Tough one.

Grendel

Ten games normally gives a barometer of the season and how it’s likeky to develop.

A point is fine but the obvious concern is that he has a strike force that have no real scoring pedigree at all. This isn’t a 20 goal a striker thing either.

Also he seems to have far too many forward options anyway.

It’s difficult to see double figures from any of them.

It’s no point moaning about isolated strikers - he wants to play this formation. It’s not exactly unusual either to play it either. However he needs a mobile strong player in the middle to make it work.

Doyle is you suspect first name on the team sheet as well and that’s an issue as he can’t not try a Kelly Ogogo combination.

When Jones is fit where will Bayliss then play.

Gazolba

Ignoring the performance and individual players, a point away from home is never bad. Except maybe if you were 2-0 up at half-time, which we weren't.
Looking forward to a home win next, which should catapult us up the table.

djr8369

Jones on one side and then potentially Alassani on the other but there is always Shipley who could do a job there.

I just think we have too much of an unbalanced team. A lot of good players but we need to play in a way that will get the best out of them and the team.

As I've said before, Biamou is good but he is pretty much limited to one position. You can't play him as last man because he won't score you enough goals so it means he could be the bridge between the midfield and a clinical striker, but then where do you put Andreu?

Tough one.

You’re right and there’s a few of these conundrums in the side. Does Doyle feature every game? How can we get the most from the strikers, Andreu, Bayliss and Jones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_david

Just feel forward wise we are going to struggle. Watched Leeds this evening fluid, pacey, attacking. Where as Derby with one up top, isolated, no support and the ball kept coming back. We are Derby

Hobo

Strange robins kept saying his forwards lacked quality. He’s signed them all.

Obviously talking about on the day rather than in General.

Your sniping lacks quality too.

BackRoomRummermill

Too much moaning here guys , yes we were promoted , Robins is doing what he can , the players will gel , a point away , it’s all looking good in fact I feel more positive about the whole set up since the first season at the Ricoh . The recruitment is all about having a decent squad , last year we scraped it having injuries , it won’t be the case this year . Robins has not panic bought anyone , if this was Jan I would sort of agree , we have a massively long season to straighten out and secure our position in L1 .

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Ten games normally gives a barometer of the season and how it’s likeky to develop.

A point is fine but the obvious concern is that he has a strike force that have no real scoring pedigree at all. This isn’t a 20 goal a striker thing either.

It’s no point moaning about isolated strikers - he wants to play this formation. It’s not exactly unusual either to play it either. However he needs a mobile strong player in the middle to make it work.

Doyle is you suspect first name on the team sheet as well and that’s an issue as he can’t not try a Kelly Ogogo combination.

Your sniping lacks quality too.

Classic, so true.

Calista

Bayliss is our stand out player. He needs to play centrally driving at defenders. He reminds me of a young Jack Wilshire with his technical skills and ability to carry the ball at pace. Or even a young Paul Gascoigne. He really is that good.
I'm guessing you never saw the young Gascoigne play? He was out of this world.

I really like Bayliss, and I think he's showing signs of getting even better, but it's not a comparison I'd make.

Sky Blue Pete

A lot of sense in that

Sky Blue Pete

Great minds think alike. :emoji_thinking:
I don’t agree with it all but it shows an understanding of the issues. Bayliss should play in the middle when Jones plays. Striking options means he is hoping for one of the to shine. Fair enough. Max improved enormously over the last season and I fully expect Hiwula and adamou to do the same

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I don’t agree with it all but it shows an understanding of the issues. Bayliss should play in the middle when Jones plays. Striking options means he is hoping for one of the to shine. Fair enough. Max improved enormously over the last season and I fully expect Hiwula and adamou to do the same
I'm old school, the formation should be 442, ie "Ferguson and Wallace" type of players up front. ;)

Gint11

One good thing out of the first 2 games is we have a competitive team. First job Robins had when getting promoted is to create a team good enough to compete. I know we have 1 point in 6 but we could have easily had won the first game on a different day and we’d be sitting on 4 points.

I know we are not but at least we aren’t getting trounced each game so far. Fitness and sharpness to develop along with gelling of the starting 11 with the formation and we will be fine this season.

Sky Blue Harry H

Messy game - glad we didn't get rolled over - wish Doyle wouldn't take those free kicks, making 5 yard sideways passes only to have it passed back to him (and he's then closed down) or the bloke isn't really expecting the pass and it goes pear shaped, whilst the majority of the team are waiting in the box for the ball. That was frustrating to see today.

Londonccfcfan

Just given my match ratings. Gotta say I seen some bad first half away performances, that’s gotta go down as one of the most fortunate first half performances. Very very lucky we weren’t 4 nil down. They gotta feel gutted they didn’t win that. But much improved 2nd half haOf thanks partly to Biamou and Brown and slight tweak of tactics.

Play badly and draw away from home wasn’t a bad result.

One I thing noticeable was that there’s a big gulf between Division 2 and 1.

They looked bigger stronger fitter in every department. And that pains me to say that.

Sky Blue Harry H

One I thing noticeable was that there’s a big gulf between Division 2 and 1.

They looked bigger stronger fitter in every department. And that pains me to say that.

We said in the warm up they looked a big side. Probably an active decision to recruit big players. Noticeably taller and surprised they didn't try to load it into our box even more. Also surprised they didn't bring Hanson on earlier. We looked (as we are) a new group of players - the effort was there, though.

Rodders1

Just got back - we were lucky to be fair. Great defensive effort. Davis my mom. Feel as much as tony Andreu is a good player - we needed two up top. He sits too deep so the number 9 can’t link up easily. Anyway - not a bad point.

Reactions: vow

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm old school, the formation should be 442, ie "Ferguson and Wallace" type of players up front. ;)
I'd give Biamou and Hiwula a go as a strike partnership. Then a midfield 4 with Ogogo but not Doyle-one of Bayliss or Andreu alongside him, perhaps one out wide until Jones is fit, Shipley on the left but fairly narrow to help out in the middle, Brown giving a bit of width outside him from full back, Grimmer doing the same other flank. Kinda a diamond lite:

--------------------Hiwula-------Biamou-------------------
--------------------------Andreu--------------------------
--------------Shipley ------------- -Bayliss--------------
---------------------------Ogogo--------------------------
-Brown----------Davies-------Willis -----Grimmer---
---------------------------Burge-------------------------------

But Robins loves his two holding CM's so I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Magwitch

Went yesterday, a points a point, in fairness if I was a Wimbledon fan I’d be saying should have won that but we weren’t miles behind.
Robins has a few conundrums to fiddle with, Junior Brown must play the penalty appeal in the last minute was a fantastic last ditch brave tackle by JB thank god the ref, who had a decent game, was on the spot because at the time it looked a stone waller to me.

MR has to decide and quick his best 11 and his best formation will take a bit of time but to me at times the players look a bit confused.
As I said Brown must play looks class but I like Mason, think the two could form a a potent partnership on the left.
Defence did very well under a lot of bombardment but not sure yet on Sterling still very raw obviously personally for me not as good as Grimmer yet, I’d get the team settled and then bring him in where we might see his attacking qualities better.
Midfield again early days but MR has to develop a spot for Bayliss to be more central the couple of times he was able to drive forward from the middle had the dons on the back foot. Personally I don’t think we’ll see the best of him out wide.

Striker department: obviously still very much up in the air, five to pick from 6 if we count Andrue 7 with a fit Jones and the number 10 shirt still up for grabs. Personally I’d have Biamou first on the team sheet, don’t give a shite what Grendel says who is obviously pie-eyed Max is a class act.
Overall a well earned point in a game we never really looked like winning. Oh and the ground is a bloody joke, first time I’ve ever been standing on the front row, on the centre line and unable to see anything to the left or right !!

Grendel

Went yesterday, a points a point, in fairness if I was a Wimbledon fan I’d be saying should have won that but we weren’t miles behind.
Robins has a few conundrums to fiddle with, Junior Brown must play the penalty appeal in the last minute was a fantastic last ditch brave tackle by JB thank god the ref, who had a decent game, was on the spot because at the time it looked a stone waller to me.

MR has to decide and quick his best 11 and his best formation will take a bit of time but to me at times the players look a bit confused.
As I said Brown must play looks class but I like Mason, think the two could form a a potent partnership on the left.
Defence did very well under a lot of bombardment but not sure yet on Sterling still very raw obviously personally for me not as good as Grimmer yet, I’d get the team settled and then bring him in where we might see his attacking qualities better.
Midfield again early days but MR has to develop a spot for Bayliss to be more central the couple of times he was able to drive forward from the middle had the dons on the back foot. Personally I don’t think we’ll see the best of him out wide.

Striker department: obviously still very much up in the air, five to pick from 6 if we count Andrue 7 with a fit Jones and the number 10 shirt still up for grabs. Personally I’d have Biamou first on the team sheet, don’t give a shite what Grendel says who is obviously pie-eyed Max is a class act.
Overall a well earned point in a game we never really looked like winning. Oh and the ground is a bloody joke, first time I’ve ever been standing on the front row, on the centre line and unable to see anything to the left or right !!

First name on the team sheet lol - he wouldn’t even qualify for that if they did it alphabetically

Magwitch

First name on the team sheet lol - he wouldn’t even qualify for that if they did it alphabetically
Your constant pie-eyed biased view on Max just illustrates your ineptitude when it comes to what really matters, football knowledge

clint van damme

I'd give Biamou and Hiwula a go as a strike partnership. Then a midfield 4 with Ogogo but not Doyle-one of Bayliss or Andreu alongside him, perhaps one out wide until Jones is fit, Shipley on the left but fairly narrow to help out in the middle, Brown giving a bit of width outside him from full back, Grimmer doing the same other flank. Kinda a diamond lite:

--------------------Hiwula-------Biamou-------------------
--------------------------Andreu--------------------------
--------------Shipley ------------- -Bayliss--------------
---------------------------Ogogo--------------------------
-Brown----------Davies-------Willis -----Grimmer---
---------------------------Burge-------------------------------

But Robins loves his two holding CM's so I don't see it happening.

would like to see us try this.
We have to get Bayliss back in the middle. If he insists with two defensive CMs then either Andrue or Shipley would need to drop out but we definitely need Bayliss in the middle and I would prefer two up top.

Gibbo

A lot of sense in that
Regardless of whether we have the mythical beast a 20 goal striker, we appear to have an odd mix up front. This applies to Hiwula as much as AB. We have only one goal from a free kick so far.
Biamou (who I like) has gone from being an optional extra in D1 to compulsory. That means Hiwula and AB are fighting for one place. As they have just been brought in, and we can assume Robins would love to have Chaplin this seems odd.
I have always doubted the utility of a big striker who works the channels, although Adebola made a living doing it for years, so maybe AB will get us goals.
Fergie and Wallace is the ideal type combo for me, still, and it worked last year with McNulty as Wallace. Was Chaplin really the only option for a nippy penalty box striker?

Users who are viewing this thread