Match Thread Coventry City - Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Tuesday 8th Aug (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well we were always going to say 'Atleast we can concentrate on the league' or 'that win will do confidence good' as we always do after cup games :)

Shame Obrien didn't get MOTM. Not taking anything away from rods performamce as he was one of the better players on show tonight but I though Obrien stood out a mile! So glad we have him in our goal!

Disappointed with the midfield pairing of Stevenson and Shipley. What has happened to Stevenson? Last season we were singing his praising for his defensive and attacking work. Tonight I was very unimpressed.

I was disappointed with biamou, but have seen him in Pre season and was happy with his signing so I won't hold tonight against him.

Camwell looked decent.

Again, happy with Grimmer. Think he will go on to become a fans favourite.

Never thought I'd be saying so early on, we missed Doyle, although we also missed Kelly. They seem to gel and know where one another are, and cover each other well. They offered on Saturday everything we missed tonight!

Ricketts

And, as no-one else has commented, I thought for once we had a decent referee.

If we had had him last week, McNulty might still have his teeth.

And those who thought Vincente doesnt have a role to play must be rethinking their position.

Nick

Administrator
Well we were always going to say 'Atleast we can concentrate on the league' or 'that win will do confidence good' as we always do after cup games :)

Shame Obrien didn't get MOTM. Not taking anything away from rods performamce as he was one of the better players on show tonight but I though Obrien stood out a mile! So glad we have him in our goal!

Disappointed with the midfield pairing of Stevenson and Shipley. What has happened to Stevenson? Last season we were singing his praising for his defensive and attacking work. Tonight I was very unimpressed.

I was disappointed with biamou, but have seen him in Pre season and was happy with his signing so I won't hold tonight against him.

Camwell looked decent.

Again, happy with Grimmer. Think he will go on to become a fans favourite.

Never thought I'd be saying so early on, we missed Doyle, although we also missed Kelly. They seem to gel and know where one another are, and cover each other well. They offered on Saturday everything we missed tonight!

O'brien was our best player, should have been about 6 or 7. At least we got to see him tested and he did well.

You are right though, our centre mid was non existent. The space and second balls between midfield and defence just meant Blackburn could do what they wanted.

Biamou I don't know what it is with him, in pre season he looked a bit soft and rolled around and took an age to get up. Did it tonight a few times too, for a guy of his size he needs to man up a little bit.

Stevenson hasn't been on it even through pre season, Billy Daniels showed him up against Nuneaton.

Blackburn didn't get out of 2nd gear, I was expecting a loss but a bit disappointed in the manner of it.

stevefloyd

Same as a lot of reports/comments on here the midfield were totally out of it, maybe Stevenson was so poor tonight because he had to cover for Shipley tonight who simply had an absolute shocker, defence looked ok O'Brien except for some of his kicking stood out pulled off some very good saves unlucky with the deflections and not much he could do with their 1st, Jones again looked out of it but didn't really get the same service as Saturday, Biamou looked as though he was on holiday, I don't think he reads the game too well and you seem to be able to blow him over most of the time, Devon had a poor game tonight seemed off the pace, hope we don't get too many injuries/suspensions because it showed our lack of depth tonight although to be fair Blackburn looked a decent side, really liked Gladwin he carried the ball into dangerous areas and laid it off well too good player pity we hadn't got him or someone like him in our team, pleased we got 1 of our strikers on the scoresheet tonight and Naz looked to be useful although he tried to do a little too much at times probably because they closed him down very quick and our players didn't really support him too quick but onward to our next game now and lets kick this next old manager in the teeth and thrash them

covcity4life

That's the one
Yeh prick. Where abouts were you? I was a lil infront of him.

Mihhy complain to club with his seat number ha

What indint get is how people like him can spit pure venom at someone like stevenson for a bad pass but then celebrate goals for the team. Either you hate these players or you dont.

FRY-CCFC

What indint get is how people like him can spit pure venom at someone like stevenson for a bad pass but then celebrate goals for the team. Either you hate these players or you dont.
How much do you drink at games?

Adge

The usual knee jerk comments. Very inexperienced side lose to a superior team in the cup. The young players are already being written off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Lets tell lies then instead! Shipley and Stevenson ran the show/bossed the midfield ala Iniesta and Javi in their prime. Camwell will be the next 50m full back and Biamou the new Lukaku.
Jeez!:banghead:

stupot07

That was pretty poor, albeit under extenuating circumstances. O'Brien was MOTM for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MatthewWallis

Few rows in front too, Row U

Skyblueweeman

alarm.gif

#like4like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

So MR clearly didn't have this cup competition in high regard this season preferring to give game time to fringe players and expose then to men's football and what they will face the coming season. I can see why he did it and opted to not risk some 1st team players. By god we need them for L2.
Some positives to take from last night but a few negatives too.

Positives
O'Brien, commanding and confident. Can make a save too, I don't see Burge getting a look in till checkatrade games.
Mcdonald, looks a real find. Strong composed on the ball and willing to do the job.
Hyam, stepped up very well filling Willis's boots being as when he was signed he was billed as one to develop.
Grimmer, hot and cold this one. There's a player there but has mistakes in his game hence why he's here in L2. If MR can iron out them he will shine.

Negatives
Midfield screamed everything of last year, hopefully we won't see a midfield so weak again unless in another cup game used to develop the youth. How much did we miss a midfield general, thankfully MR has addressed this issue with Doyle and Kelly, would we of been so weak with just one of them in organising and motivating I'd guess not but this was a experienced good Blackburn side we played, and L2 sides will offer a different competition tho I fear one or two would be bullied and go into hiding.

Im not writing the kids of but as a group plenty of these youngsters need game time in the u23's and substitute cameos to adapt and understand the step up to senior football and that's what MR wanted to expose them to last night especially Biamou and the Duck.

Biggest disappointment was Stevenson. A passenger in the game, let's hope it's just early season but it was his application that concerned me the most. Head seemed elsewhere.

no_loyalty

Biggest disappointment was Stevenson. A passenger in the game, let's hope it's just early season but it was his application that concerned me the most. Head seemed elsewhere.

It could be because his 2 best mates Maddison and Thomas have gone onto bigger and better things, and he seemingly missed out on his move to the Championship?

steve82

It could be because his 2 best mates Maddison and Thomas have gone onto bigger and better things, and he seemingly missed out on his move to the Championship?

I'm hoping it was just a off day and early season....
he's not gonna get that move with a display like that but I'm sure next to Doyle he'd of been a different player as he'd of had his ear taken off!

Hobo

So, some learned that Shipley and Stevenson are not quite ready, for others it just endorsed what they suspected.

It does not mean they can't developed as the season progresses or not have a role to play in the squad. Two competitive games and I am sure MR now has a clearer idea of where we are at.

I can see at least two maybe three coming in on loan and at least one will be central midfield.

Brighton Sky Blue

Won't lose much sleep over that but it would be nice to make it to the 3rd round of the FA Cup this year instead of the annual humiliation against lower ranked clubs.

covhead1

Weakened team or not, we were poor.
When we had the ball we didn't know what to do with it and when they had the ball we were happy to let them keep it.
It was the lack of commitment that was disappointing.

oucho

Didn't go on Sat and only just posted on here....first thoughts.
Biamou - not impressed, didn't do anything or even look that interested (which is more worrying/surprising than not being v. good)
Nazon - looks very decent, early days but would consider starting him on Sat - if the Grimsby game goes ahead
We need at least one nasty b'stard body as backup/competition for Doyle and Kelly - if we lose either or, God forbid, both, then we'll be murdered in midfield as we were last night. Stevenson and Shipley totally bypassed.
Grimmer - looks questionable defensively which, given that defending is his main role, is a worry. Overlapped well a couple of times, though.
Devon - good first impression
Camwell - seems to have been over-hyped when he appeared at the end of last season, didn't have a great game

covcity4life

i am not sure about lack of commitment, agree with robins more about naivity

just 2 changes wit doyle and kelly coming in would have led to a very different game imo

its early in season,stevenson will have a part to play, maybe shipley too although i would prefer MR buy a CM

covcity4life

Didn't go on Sat and only just posted on here....first thoughts.
Biamou - not impressed, didn't do anything or even look that interested (which is more worrying/surprising than not being v. good)
Nazon - looks very decent, early days but would consider starting him on Sat - if the Grimsby game goes ahead
We need at least one nasty b'stard body as backup/competition for Doyle and Kelly - if we lose either or, God forbid, both, then we'll be murdered in midfield as we were last night. Stevenson and Shipley totally bypassed.
Grimmer - looks questionable defensively which, given that defending is his main role, is a worry. Overlapped well a couple of times, though.
Devon - good first impression
Camwell - seems to have been over-hyped when he appeared at the end of last season, didn't have a great game

camwell has an excellent game imo

eastwoodsdustman

Stevenson wasnt too bad last night, put plenty of challenges in and passed theball well. Shipley had a poor game and I think it reflected on Stevenson too as he was having to do way more than he should have.

Otis

Though he got skinned once and made a couple of poor passes, overall I thought Camwell looked pretty promising. Nullified their winger on a number of occasions and appears to have a lovely cross on him.

I think he will get a fair bit of game time this season and can see him covering for Stokes no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread