Match Thread Coventry City - Bristol City FC Match Thread - Tuesday 30th Jan (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

He's had quite a few niggling injuries Sheaf. He did his groin before but I'm sure he's done his hamstring too?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Terrible overall performance, I do think Simms and Wright from the start and we win that game just changes it up Torp did OK but no better than Eccles for me coming on

Torp was more composed and looked to play more progressive forward passes tonight that Eccles - to be fair I do think Eccles had a particularly off day today, but I also think it highlights the gulf in class between him and Sheaf, in that he obviously struggles without Sheaf in there alongside him.

Torp still looked a bit off the pace, but you could see he was growing into the game as the minutes ticked on… give him a few more games and I’m sure he’ll be a very good player for us.

Be interesting now if we don’t bring in a replacement for Sheaf because Eccles is going to have a lot of pressure to step up his game, which may be exactly what he needs….

Brighton Sky Blue

Torp was more composed and looked to play more progressive forward passes tonight that Eccles - to be fair I do think Eccles had a particularly off day today, but I also think it highlights the gulf in class between him and Sheaf, in that he obviously struggles without Sheaf in there alongside him.

Torp still looked a bit off the pace, but you could see he was growing into the game as the minutes ticked on… give him a few more games and I’m sure he’ll be a very good player for us.

Be interesting now if we don’t bring in a replacement for Sheaf because Eccles is going to have a lot of pressure to step up his game, which may be exactly what he needs….
Well we really do need one if Lati is the back up

Martin180

I think if Eccles starts with Torp he will be fine . His strengths are winning the ball and playing it simple , alongside Lati tonight he didn’t have a progressive player to give it simple too

AFCCOVENTRY

We only have 3 recognised central midfield players. Sheaf, Eccles and Torp. Considering we play 2 in the middle and Kelly might be off we need another reinforcement.

CCFCSteve

Decent point in the end from a sub par performance. Thought Bristol city were set up well and pressed us really well. That plus us giving the ball away cheaply too often meant no flow to our play first half at all. Bit better second half, especially down the right

Pleased for Simms. It took all of a minute before someone behind me was having a go…always helps a player when he comes on that. He does need to be more physical in the box though

A great cameo from Torp, some lovely touches and interplay. Almost got punished when he was a bit too casual but initial impressions are that he could be some signing. Earlier days though

ps what a strike by Kitching !

long way home

We just don't give up in games and always create something. We all can see we are 2 or 3 quality bodies short, but if its not to be, we push on and keep collecting points.

This is a very good squad and everyone will be needed and games like today will pop up. Not losing and see Torp get more minutes is the positive. We seriously cant complain too much its been a great run.

Martin180

We just don't give up in games and always create something. We all can see we are 2 or 3 quality bodies short, but if its not to be, we push on and keep collecting points.

This is a very good squad and everyone will be needed and games like today will pop up. Not losing and see Torp get more minutes is the positive. We seriously cant complain too much its been a great run.
It’s not going too badly for a season of transition is it ?

HadjiChippo

This is a very good squad and everyone will be needed and games like today will pop up. Not losing and see Torp get more minutes is the positive. We seriously cant complain too much it’s been a great run.
Unbeaten in 12, can’t complain about that. Get Torp and Haji back to full fitness, hopefully new found confidence for Simms, and we’ll be firing on all cylinders for the playoff push

lewys33

Fadz to Blackburn is what I’ve been told … 3rd hand from a conversation with the man himself. We shall see.

Martin180

Dawkins moaning about Simms on Twitter, guess he's not one of the players he's rimming then. Blokes a trouble maker and needs to fuck off tbh.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Don’t do twitter but would love some of our fans to call him out

TomRad85

Well the answer to that is stop reading his tweets
I don't follow him, nor do I even go on Twitter that much actually. It came up on my timeline like many Cov related tweets do. So yeh, not much I can do about that really.

Manchester_sky_blue

I don't follow him, nor do I even go on Twitter that much actually. It came up on my timeline like many Cov related tweets do. So yeh, not much I can do about that really.

I didn't mean you personally, I just meant that Dawkins craves that attention so we collectively need to cut him off.

suffolkskyblue24

Under par performances in too many positions tonight.
Loss of Sheaf impacted significantly on the game (and more to come). That combined with Eccles' bad night left us exposed and over run in midfield.
Matty will always be a City legend but is definitely reaching the end of his tenure and it feels like he should see the season out as an impact sub against tired legs (will at least even up the foot races)
The triple substitution brightened things up from an attacking perspective and great to see Simms get a goal. Torp looks quality but rusty.
Collins save kept us in the game so total credit to him although I still wish he could catch.
But it's still a point, we are still scoring and we are still 6th. Let's take it and move on.

Last edited:

StrettoBoy

Sheaf is a big loss and not sure how we cover that hole. Lati is clearly not the answer and not sure if Torp can play 90 minutes at this pace albeit he did show some very nice touches.

We still have Torp, Eccles and Allen to fill those two places plus Lati and Kelly if we are desperate.

Torp is the obvious replacement. My initial impressions are that Torp may not be as good in the holding role but has more creativity. Losing Sheaf is a blow but I don't think we need panic.

I reckon Torp can give us 60 minutes and then probably bring Allen on.

Users who are viewing this thread