Match Thread Coventry City - Cardiff City Match Thread - Monday 1st Apr (1 Viewer)

coop

The free kick was set up for Bidwell then Robins dragged him off just before taking it.Then Torp hit it straight at the wall.

Deity

I think Eccles is developing into a really good first team squad member. I think at home we need Toop’s added creative quality to break teams down but away Eccles work rate helps our defensive more than Torp.

That said I expect Eccles to start against Leeds when Robins will want the midfield to limit their space. You could run an argument to play Torp ahead of Palmer or COH on Saturday to give us a stronger defensive midfield 3.

PVA

I thought Eccles was excellent for about 55 mins, best player on the pitch, then began to tire a bit.

Torp looked good when he came on but it was easier for him in the sense that Cardiff were sat back and he didn’t have to do the defensive work that Eccles was doing. That cross he put in was unbelievable though.

Sky Blue Pete

I thought Eccles was excellent for about 55 mins, best player on the pitch, then began to tire a bit.

Torp looked good when he came on but it was easier for him in the sense that Cardiff were sat back and he didn’t have to do the defensive work that Eccles was doing. That cross he put in was unbelievable though.
Yep defensively he bailed us out three times brilliantly first half and then second half he had two barnstorming runs down the right wing one ended up at palmers feet when he should have shot first time
He did then make two or three awful easy passes which was a shame as it meant the haters are gonna hate
Torp was excellent apart from the free kick

Grendel

Our best player? 😂

I’m sure we’ll be fending off plenty of suitors in the summer for him then.

Hes not our best player but he had a good game yesterday and does deliver a consistent 7 out of 10. He’s a defensive midfielder so will not ever look like a glamour player but was effective in the play off push last season

ms639

Can't help but think that Robins didn't react quickly enough yesterday. They were defending so deep that after our first goal we got absolutely nothing down the flanks. It's obvious that MVE is rapid but unlike Tats he can't stand his man up and beat him, he relies on being on the shoulder and getting played in behind with his pace.

Robins needed to bring on Cal move MVE to RB and put Wright up top and go to the box much much earlier than he did. Cardiff were well organised and we couldn't break them down. Having COH and KP on together and earlier could well have helped us unlock them.

robbiethemole

Collins had nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net, they never really looked like scoring, but they came for a point and got a lucky 3. The NG ‘penalty’, he kicked the back of Bidwells leg then tried to con the ref, yellow card?
Who could predict a win without even scoring?
Their keeper, Hogwart, was so slow with kicks and stuff, I thought he was trying to catch some sleep, overall a mediocre display punctuated by 2 bits of bad luck

Grendel

Collins had nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net, they never really looked like scoring, but they came for a point and got a lucky 3. The NG ‘penalty’, he kicked the back of Bidwells leg then tried to con the ref, yellow card?
Who could predict a win without even scoring?
Their keeper, Hogwart, was so slow with kicks and stuff, I thought he was trying to catch some sleep, overall a mediocre display punctuated by 2 bits of bad luck

they missed a couple of very easy chances - especially the one at the start of the second half. They created more than us.

Hertsccfc

Yep defensively he bailed us out three times brilliantly first half and then second half he had two barnstorming runs down the right wing one ended up at palmers feet when he should have shot first time
He did then make two or three awful easy passes which was a shame as it meant the haters are gonna hate
He also played two excellent long passes, which Van Ewijk and Wright should have made more of. That run you mention was exceptional but as he didn't cost a fee unlike Torp it doesn't count in certain posters eyes.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He also played two excellent long passes, which Van Ewijk and Wright should have made more of. That run you mention was exceptional but as he didn't cost a fee unlike Torp it doesn't count in certain posters eyes.

I couldn't believe the radio yesterday whilst stuck trying to get out of Tesco. People were ripping into Eccles. He was our best midfielder and again people were awkwardly silent about our other CM who had a pretty shit game. The double standards are really bizarre. Would throw Torp (or as someone said on the radio, Thrope) in there. Whilst there have been some encouraging flashes, the lad needs some time to adapt. I've found him a bit inconsistent and certainly pretty weak in the battle. The calls for him to play instead of Eccles seem really dismissive.

Hertsccfc

I couldn't believe the radio yesterday whilst stuck trying to get out of Tesco. People were ripping into Eccles. He was our best midfielder and again people were awkwardly silent about our other CM who had a pretty shit game. The double standards are really bizarre. Would throw Torp (or as someone said on the radio, Thrope) in there. Whilst there have been some encouraging flashes, the lad needs some time to adapt. I've found him a bit inconsistent and certainly pretty weak in the battle. The calls for him to play instead of Eccles seem really dismissive.
Yes Sheaf was poor yesterday on the whole and he lost the ball a lot. Eccles was great defensively and also his passing was much better than Sheaf or Palmer. If he had been bought for a fee and Torp had come through the academy there would be no calls for Torp to start.

Torquay Sky Blue

Eccles is a typical go to blame, when things aren't going well by a lot of our fans.
Because there's nothing flashy about him the non footballing fan finds him an easy target. Unfortunately we have a lot of them. Palmer doing a pass looking the other way or Sheaf strolling around with a (some may say earned) arrogance about him and they've somehow become void of criticism.

Hertsccfc

Eccles is a typical go to blame, when things aren't going well by a lot of our fans.
Because there's nothing flashy about him the non footballing fan finds him an easy target. Unfortunately we have a lot of them. Palmer doing a pass looking the other way or Sheaf strolling around with a (some may say earned) arrogance about him and they've somehow become void of criticism.
Yes there's a reason why Eccles has been one of the first names on the teamsheet for over a year and a half. Maybe Robins and Vivash know a little more than some of our fans.

alexccfc99

We really are for me a club that thrives upon backs being up against the wall and being written off

In hindsight I wish that Norwich game had been a 5.30 or 8pm last night - The result come in, I think the players probably shrank in the occasion and the fans got way too expectant/complacent, reflected in the atmosphere

PVA

Having only just properly watched it back, I just can't understand what Kitching was doing with the first goal!??!!!

Proper Northern lad

peter-kay-have-it-peter-kay.gif

wingy

It wasn't just Eccles though the lb cut.out.too many balls full stop!!

Hertsccfc

Having only just properly watched it back, I just can't understand what Kitching was doing with the first goal!??!!!
I couldn't understand it at the time. I think he thought one of their players was behind him and he had to try and kick it over the bar.

shmmeee

Yes Sheaf was poor yesterday on the whole and he lost the ball a lot. Eccles was great defensively and also his passing was much better than Sheaf or Palmer. If he had been bought for a fee and Torp had come through the academy there would be no calls for Torp to start.

Eccles had the worst passing accuracy of the three. I think he played well but let’s not make stuff up.

shmmeee

How can you accuse anyone of making things up after your ridiculous comments about O'Hare?

I have this weird thing where I base my comments in material reality. Old fashioned I know. Eccles passing stats were below Sheaf and Palmers and O’Hare isn’t starting. Join me, it’s dull, but honest.

wingy

I have this weird thing where I base my comments in material reality. Old fashioned I know. Eccles passing stats were below Sheaf and Palmers and O’Hare isn’t starting. Join me, it’s dull, but honest.
Is that true for Saturday?

shmmeee

Monday?🫣

Yeah stats from the Cardiff game. There’s not much in it, but he was the worst of the three. But as I say I thought he played well and doesn’t deserve the criticism. He popped up all over the pitch and made some great contributions.

covcity4life

Yeah stats from the Cardiff game. There’s not much in it, but he was the worst of the three. But as I say I thought he played well and doesn’t deserve the criticism. He popped up all over the pitch and made some great contributions.
He hasn't been criticised by anyone I don't think though? The pro Eccles fans just see normal fans as anti Eccles people.

Everyone just be normal!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Eccles had the worst passing accuracy of the three. I think he played well but let’s not make stuff up.

It's also another reason why you need to take a pinch of salt when looking at stats exclusively.

I didn't think Sheaf was that bad yesterday, he looked pretty normal to me. I did think Eccles was better, but you can see on here and in the stands that there is a ridiculous bias when it comes to these two. There was a highlight video posted of the former the other day and it was him just passing the ball between himself and the CB's. It's pretty much his MO. A good player for us, but I would be surprised if anyone is going to pay such big bucks for him in the summer that we're going to have to accept. He has a lot of time on the ball but is sloppy in moments, with almost no goal contributions.

shmmeee

It's also another reason why you need to take a pinch of salt when looking at stats exclusively.

I didn't think Sheaf was that bad yesterday, he looked pretty normal to me. I did think Eccles was better, but you can see on here and in the stands that there is a ridiculous bias when it comes to these two. There was a highlight video posted of the former the other day and it was him just passing the ball between himself and the CB's. It's pretty much his MO. A good player for us, but I would be surprised if anyone is going to pay such big bucks for him in the summer that we're going to have to accept. He has a lot of time on the ball but is sloppy in moments, with almost no goal contributions.

Both were fine. Not every player discussion has to be a death match

TomRad85

I've always quite liked Eccles, but we are edging towards so underrated he's overrated territory.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

The free kick was set up for Bidwell then Robins dragged him off just before taking it.Then Torp hit it straight at the wall.

Can't get my head round why MvE didn't take it.

Users who are viewing this thread