Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

The orange slide seems to dump you outside and the blue & white one sends you into a concrete wall. Couple of minor design flaws.

Nick

Administrator
Waterworld, (I think that's what it's called), in Stoke on Trent isn't very big but there's a fair few slides in there. They all criss cross each other.
It's much bigger than that picture seems. Goes outside as well.

Might just be the angle the picture is taken from

Grendel

It's much bigger than that picture seems. Goes outside as well.

Might just be the angle the picture is taken from

Let’s hope so as it’s initial cost projection was £37 million

Otis

Just been down town this morning. Never ever usually go into the city centre on a Monday and it's been 6 years since I worked in the city centre and was there every day.

Certainly a sea change I noticed. There were more people down there today at 10.15 in the morning than I ever saw at 1pm in my lunch break when I worked.

Also went into Primark, which was very, very busy. Queues at all the tills and before anyone scoffs and says 'Ah, well, Primark' that's not the point I am making. i am just taking about in terms of footfall and I found it heartwarming that people do still want to shop in person.

There is no substitute for looking at the clothes, feeling the texture, looking at yourself in the mirror when you hold it up to your body and trying clothes on. That's exactly what people were doing today. Havinga long good look at the clothes, holding them up and feeling the material.

I do think certain kinds of shops will die in the high street due to online transacting, but there will always be a place for others.

Grendel

Just been down town this morning. Never ever usually go into the city centre on a Monday and it's been 6 years since I worked in the city centre and was there every day.

Certainly a sea change I noticed. There were more people down there today at 10.15 in the morning than I ever saw at 1pm in my lunch break when I worked.

Also went into Primark, which was very, very busy. Queues at all the tills and before anyone scoffs and says 'Ah, well, Primark' that's not the point I am making. i am just taking about in terms of footfall and I found it heartwarming that people do still want to shop in person.

There is no substitute for looking at the clothes, feeling the texture, looking at yourself in the mirror when you hold it up to your body and trying clothes on. That's exactly what people were doing today. Havinga long good look at the clothes, holding them up and feeling the material.

I do think certain kinds of shops will die in the high street due to online transacting, but there will always be a place for others.

Primark is the one top 15 growing retailers coventry has that I referred to in one of my posts

Ranjit Bhurpa

I find the need to touch and feel merchandise particularly true with food shopping.
Due to laziness, I will occasionally do an online food shop, only to be mightily dischuffed when half of the items are not the size I thought I was ordering. This is probably due to advancing years and a lack of understanding of the metric weight system, but I'm buggered if I'm going to spend all morning comparing the graphics and size options on the website whilst completing the order.
Might as well have got the car out in the first place.

Travs

Interesting to see that the Cotswold store in Leekes closed/closing down, yet a new Cotswold store being opened up in Leicester...

Otis

Interesting to see that the Cotswold store in Leekes closed/closing down, yet a new Cotswold store being opened up in Leicester...
Was a pain to get to in Cov if you were coming from the wrong direction. Put me off on many occasions.

Travs

Was a pain to get to in Cov if you were coming from the wrong direction. Put me off on many occasions.

No doubt about it, it suffered due to its location. Just interesting they didn't relocate into our city centre. Walked past the old BHS today and thought that at least part of that building would have been a decent location.

Otis

No doubt about it, it suffered due to its location. Just interesting they didn't relocate into our city centre. Walked past the old BHS today and thought that at least part of that building would have been a decent location.
I have my fingers crossed for crazy golf!!

giphy.gif

Grendel

Never put me off or some of my colleagues. It’s one of the few stores on coventry worth visiting. I’d say I’ve spent more money there then any other store in Coventry over the last few years.

Otis

Never put me off or some of my colleagues. It’s one of the few stores on coventry worth visiting. I’d say I’ve spent more money there then any other store in Coventry over the last few years.
Which direction were you coming from?

I always was coming from the wrong direction, so it was a bit of a pain and of course you had to time it with missing the rush hour.

I only ever went the once, though was keen to go a bit more. Always ended up looking at my watch and thinking it's not a good time.

The one time we went we went well out of rush hour traffic.

Have spoken to a few people who were put off coming from that direction.

Grendel

Which direction were you coming from?

I always was coming from the wrong direction, so it was a bit of a pain and of course you had to time it with missing the rush hour.

I only ever went the once, though was keen to go a bit more. Always ended up looking at my watch and thinking it's not a good time.

The one time we went we went well out of rush hour traffic.

Have spoken to a few people who were put off coming from that direction.

Always the wrong direction - it took two minutes round the island

shmmeee

Leeks was in a terrible location. If you specifically wanted to go there its doable but it was near nothing and in an awkward position and hidden from the road so I just never went because I never found out if it was worth it.

Grendel

Oddly enough it didn’t seem too much of a deterrent when people sensed prices were being reduced

Travs

Interesting to hear that Birmingham may implement a congestion charge in the next couple of years.

Apparently £6-£10 per day to use a vehicle inside the ring-road.

Pretty shocking in my opinion. It's the proliferation of buses which stink out their City Centre (and London's as well).

Fortunately my office is bang on the ring road in B'ham and although using the ring road itself, I don't have to go inside it, so shouldn't affect me personally.

Some of the locals are a bit cheesed off at the prospect. Apparently the local government issued a bit of an ultimatum... "we need a tram system, or we'll have to start applying a congestion charge...". They've had the tram update, and now they are still planning the congestion charge scheme as well!

fernandopartridge

Interesting to hear that Birmingham may implement a congestion charge in the next couple of years.

Pretty shocking in my opinion. It's the proliferation of buses which stink out their City Centre (and London's as well).

Fortunately my office is bang on the ring road in B'ham and although using the ring road itself, I don't have to go inside it, so shouldn't affect me personally.

Some of the locals are a bit cheesed off at the prospect. Apparently the local government issued a bit of an ultimatum... "we need a tram system, or we'll have to start applying a congestion charge...". They've had the tram update, and now they are still planning the congestion charge scheme as well!
They tried that in Greater Manchester in 2007. Had a referendum on the congestion charge which was rejected. They managed to raise the finance for a massive tram expansion without it anyway.

bezzer

Agreed. Buses and Taxis are on the whole old, high mileage diesels which are filthy.

shmmeee

Agreed. Buses and Taxis are on the whole old, high mileage diesels which are filthy.

Work vans are the real problem. Fleet vehicles like buses and taxis can quickly be replaced. Also they’re likely to be autonomous and electric within a decade or two max. Dave’s dodgy white van not so much.

Congestion charging is needed all over the place. I hated bringing my daughter up near the Foleshill Rd, you could taste the fumes. Ether drivers need to start paying out compensation for the damage they cause or we need to take it another way. And I say that as a driver. It’s the next smoking ban: you can’t harm innocent people and refuse to pay compensation or change your actions.

Grendel

What I resent, however, is being encouraged to buy diesel by a government telling me it's cleaner, to then have my car potentially taxed into worthlessness by the government!

It is cleaner. The Birmingham embargo was forced on it and all EU6 diesels are excluded from any ban.

NorthernWisdom

And that's also not taking into account the pollution that will come from producing a new car to replace mine, along with disposing of mine.

Natural wastage will get rid of sufficient older cars in time, I don't see why we have to go all draconian. Also not convinced that electric is the way forward, either. Not sure it's as straightforward as that,.

Grendel

And that's also not taking into account the pollution that will come from producing a new car to replace mine, along with disposing of mine.

Natural wastage will get rid of sufficient older cars in time, I don't see why we have to go all draconian. Also not convinced that electric is the way forward, either. Not sure it's as straightforward as that,.

The notion all cars will be electric by 2040 is a joke. As a driving machine they are fine but the logistical and infrastructure issues are enourmous

Users who are viewing this thread