Match Thread Coventry City - Colchester United Match Thread - Saturday 21st Oct (1 Viewer)

Super Graham Withey

We need a big lump of a target man proven at League Two level. I thought this in the summer and he never arrived. Micky Adams made a very telling comment today in his closing remarks on CWR in that he thinks we lack physicality in the opposition's penalty area, he said there were a lot of crosses into the box won by Colchester defenders. Beavon, McNulty and Nazon need quality in to their feet. With Doyle and Kelly in midfield this is not going to happen. Given we can't get a big man up front until January Robins needs to rethink. I would drop Kelly for Stevenson.

Johnnythespider

Robins should let the fans choose the team next week:

It would have no goalkeeper (to avoid losing to a howler), no full backs (can't get far enough forward), no DMs (too defensive), no wing backs (none good enough at defending), but any decent striker (who score 20 goals a season and never miss sitters). Our problem is that we have no regular starter who is also a decent striker - hence our present goal drought.

So the only team that would give our fans any confidence would have:

No goalkeeper

Ideally a central row of three Mcdonalds across the edge of the box

A more advanced link man role of Vincenti and Kelly

Either Biamou or Beavon as Target Man (according to your taste)

And five Ponticellis as Strikers (three in the box and two running angles behind them)

Why can't Robins see this???
And a partridge in a pear tree

Nick

Administrator
We need a big lump of a target man proven at League Two level. I thought this in the summer and he never arrived. Micky Adams made a very telling comment today in his closing remarks on CWR in that he thinks we lack physicality in the opposition's penalty area, he said there were a lot of crosses into the box won by Colchester defenders. Beavon, McNulty and Nazon need quality in to their feet. With Doyle and Kelly in midfield this is not going to happen. Given we can't get a big man up front until January Robins needs to rethink. I would drop Kelly for Stevenson.
Yes, we created 2 chances in the week from 2 crosses. Today we are putting in cross after cross with the player who wins headers not on the pitch.

It was baffling.

Nick

Administrator
Their two centre backs though were absolute monsters. Must have been 6'4" plus.
We didn't win a header all game. Every one was straight back at us.

Putting in cross after cross was pointless, stick biamou and ponti on after 60 and we would have been much better. Even on their red card.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
But they're all the same height when they're lying on the deck, knobbled! :emoji_yum:

steve82

Another bad bad for MR, team selection questionable, approach play didn't suit the players on the pitch. Stubbornness is getting beyond a joke now and failure to adapt with the game.
Interview getting predictable and one of a manager who's players ain't doing it.
Cannot see a goal coming in the league in October.

Otis

If Jones is out next week I would bring back Stokes and leave Haynes wide left. Would also drop McNulty and play Vincenti.

oucho

If Jones is out next week I would bring back Stokes and leave Haynes wide left. Would also drop McNulty and play Vincenti.
Me too.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Having listened to Mark Robins after the game , I think he's just being stubborn.
( ie, doesn't want to give into the fans regarding Ponticelli or the formation )

And this is what I can't get my head round, when they had a man sent off, they also made a substitution ,
Taking off a striker and bring on a midfielder, now that told me they were just going to defend and see out the game .

So what was Robins response , NOTHING and he only made two substitutions.

What is the point of having two holding midfielders when they are just sitting back and defending .

He, Robins also gave the impression by substituting McNulty it would effect his confidence ( you've got to laugh )
Well what about Ponticelli's confidence , he's gone from playing and scoring goals in the under 18/23 every week
to just sitting on the bench and can't even get 10 minutes today !

So if and when Ponticelli is given a game he won't be match fit .

Some football ball managers hey , still what do us fans know !!!

stupot07

Having listened to Mark Robins after the game , I think he's just being stubborn.
( ie, doesn't want to give into the fans regarding Ponticelli or the formation )

And this is what I can't get my head round, when they had a man sent off, they also made a substitution ,
Taking off a striker and bring on a midfielder, now that told me they were just going to defend and see out the game .

So what was Robins response , NOTHING and he only made two substitutions.

What is the point of having two holding midfielders when they are just sitting back and defending .

He, Robins also gave the impression by substituting McNulty it would effect his confidence ( you've got to laugh )
Well what about Ponticelli's confidence , he's gone from playing and scoring goals in the under 18/23 every week
to just sitting on the bench and can't even get 10 minutes today !

So if and when Ponticelli is given a game he won't be match fit .

Some football ball managers hey , still what do us fans know !!!
He had Ponticelli stripped waiting to come on from about 85th minute mark and still didn't bring him on. Bonkers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Adge

Pretending that they were much better in the top flight mind, frequently 10k or less early to mid 80s when he played

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yes and reflected by every other clubs crowds being proportionate aswell at the time.

covcity4life

Most of results went our way

A week for robins to work on attack. Beat luton away and momentum is well and truly back

Thay said.....ill take the draw

stupot07

No at the death

Maube we are talking sbout different stuff

I think you're right we're probably talking differdnt stuff. Thr one at the death I thought both the keeper and McNulty missed, IIRC it was given as their goal kick. Would need to see the replay really, as it was a long way away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

Most of results went our way

A week for robins to work on attack. Beat luton away and momentum is well and truly back

Thay said.....ill take the draw

I would take 8th or 9th in January.
Then Managenent rectify their mistake and the second half the season we win most games 1-0

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

We didn't win a header all game. Every one was straight back at us.

Putting in cross after cross was pointless, stick biamou and ponti on after 60 and we would have been much better. Even on their red card.
It was only pointless because Mcuseless and Beavon are shit. Several low crosses went right through the 6 yard box with no one connecting. One even went through Beavon's legs.

Wolves_SkyBlue

Sky "highlights" 40 secs which includes prolonged coverage of their captain getting his 2 yellows! Says it all really - dreadful game

CCFC54321

I was speaking to an ex player at half time and he frustratedly said the problem is in his opinion was we have two holding midfield players who don’t move much further than the half way line and one or either won’t drive forward or support the forwards. That said the forwards just do not move or make any runs whatsoever. Said Robins had to change it at half time (which he didn’t) got the impression he didn’t think Robins knew another way of playing with this squad he brought in.

My opinion is even if these forwards found some form there nothing better than 5/6 goal each players which won’t be enough over a season. We won’t be going up with his current signings. Another catastrophic summer signing spree.

Adge

Yep, the recruiting last summer with Mowbray at the helm was a disaster. Looks like Robins this summer although got the numbers in, may have given 2 year deals to a few duds.

skybluesam66

all signings are never bang on - nobody gets 100% right
Defensively we are spot on, we just cant score
Nazon is not permanent/ Beavon is a loanee
leaves Mcnulty and Biamou

Mcnulty is a total flop - and that is Robins biggest mistake
Biamou - I still think will come good, He is getting and missing lots of chances, but i think he is a player if he scores one will go on a streak

Robins says that players read these things and get upset
Well Mcnulty if you are reading this, lose at least a stone of the timber you are carrying and you may have a chance

Sick Boy

all signings are never bang on - nobody gets 100% right
Defensively we are spot on, we just cant score
Nazon is not permanent/ Beavon is a loanee
leaves Mcnulty and Biamou

Mcnulty is a total flop - and that is Robins biggest mistake
Biamou - I still think will come good, He is getting and missing lots of chances, but i think he is a player if he scores one will go on a streak

Robins says that players read these things and get upset
Well Mcnulty if you are reading this, lose at least a stone of the timber you are carrying and you may have a chance

Beavon is our player.

Hobo

Which we should have known about when forming our game plan?

I would want to turn them, get them playing facing their own goal and test how good they were with their feet.

Users who are viewing this thread