Match Thread Coventry City - Mansfield Town Match Thread - Saturday 11th Nov (1 Viewer)

Adge

It’s not complicated it’s really easy. It’s the merry go round that follows that is boring (for everyone else) and predictable. I was trying to avoid as I keep telling you
However you still just keep replying saying ‘are you going to list the chances then’. So it’s starting to make no difference and we are doing what I was trying to avoid anyway!

Tell you what let’s do it all in this one post so everyone can just read a normal thread without two people having pages worth of the most pointless debate in the world.

List....

Straight away Kelly sending McNulty clear. Mansfield keeper off his line quick to deal with it.
Jones free kick, Ponti hitting the keeper.
McNulty’s shot from just outside the area.
Jones cutting inside hitting a shot at the keeper.
Their defenders weak header back that Mcnulty ran onto and forced a save.
Ponti scores (offside)

2nd half
Doyle in the box good defending by Byrom snuffs our the chance
Biamou’s header cleared off the line.
Ponti through one on one with the keeper. Keeper saves.

Nick ...

You weren’t there, some of those chances aren’t chances. You cant include the keeper getting to the ball before McNulty. Doyle got tackled that’s not a chance. It’s not that many chances, you would know that if you were there.

Me....
It’s enough chances to score a goal. Plus with the right striker we would get more chances better ones.

Nick
Prove it, no you wouldn’t it’s still the same players creating it.

Me ...

I can’t prove it as we have to sign that striker. He would create chances himself and his movement would create other chances

Nick ...

You weren’t there you opinion counts for nothing

Me...

Thanks

Can we leave at this one post now rather than 7 pages
Ahem, another chance was Jones free kick in the last minute of the second half, well, more of a backpass to the keeper.

dongonzalos

You didn't just list chances though. How is an offisde a chance? You're including it as a chance on what grounds? That if Ponticelli timed his run better it could have been a goal? That if the officiating was a better standard it might have been a goal? If you don't want people to pick you up on things don't constantly flirt with the ridiculous.

Scoring a disallowed goal for offside and suggesting that that is a chance in a game is ridiculous?

Nick

Administrator
Scoring a disallowed goal for offside and suggesting that that is a chance in a game is ridiculous?

For most, trying to tell people who saw things first hand they are wrong while trying to scrape together any live text that could have been within 30 yards of the box as a chance is ridiculous enough.

For most, your super quick free kick taking, header winning, finishing every chance they get striker appearing in League 2 is ridiculous.

You seem to be the only one trying to push that view the hardest that we create plenty of chances, every game you will be trying to give it the "told you so" when you clearly have no idea what has happened during the game and will just go off a post in the match thread or something from live text.

dongonzalos

Because half of them weren't chances... Unless this striker you dream of is faster than Bolt and amazing in the air. He is also finishing every chance he gets even that chance is an overhit pass.

The only actual chances we would expect to score from were Ponticelli's. Biamou's was a chance, but not really one that would be expected to score every time.

So, after all of the nonsense and your list we created 2 decent chances all game and Biamou's header where he did well but it wasn't a good enough chance to expect a goal every time. In League 2, strikers will need more than 2 chances per goal.

It's simple, we need to create a lot more for the strikers.

This is crux where we disagree.
You change the tactics of this team with the sane players. You lose this defensive strength that everyone says we desperately need.
So if you keep the same tactics to keep the sane defensive record. You need to add someone more creative to the attacking players.
If you sign a creative player say another winger instead of. Vince to prevent teams focusing solely on Jones.
You should get more balls into the box.
This is the crux of where we disagree I think Mcnulty won’t make the most of those chances.
Ponti might the Duck night.
I think a new winger will make ya better but not get us into the top three.
I think a new winger plus a decent striker will win us this league.
I think a new strike alone who can take one of those three goal scoring chances today and create a couple more chances. Will get us in the top three.
I think changing the tactics alone will weaken the defensive unit and we still won’t score enough on top for a top three place. However it might help us get the play offs.

Nick

Administrator
This is crux where we disagree.
You change the tactics of this team with the sane players. You lose this defensive strength that everyone says we desperately need.
So if you keep the same tactics to keep the sane defensive record. You need to add someone more creative to the attacking players.
If you sign a creative player say another winger instead of. Vince to prevent teams focusing solely on Jones.
You should get more balls into the box.
This is the crux of where we disagree I think Mcnulty won’t make the most of those chances.
Ponti might the Duck night.
I think a new winger will make ya better but not get us into the top three.
I think a new winger plus a decent striker will win us this league.
I think a new strike alone who can take one of those three goal scoring chances today and create a couple more chances. Will get us in the top three.
I think changing the tactics alone will weaken the defensive unit and we still won’t score enough on top for a top three place. However it might help us get the play offs.

You keep saying we make loads of chances, which means the strikers aren't taking them.
You say players won't pass to others because they aren't proven goalscorers and have no confidence in them so they try themselves.

Any striker in League 2 will need multiple chances per goal they score, the more chances we create the more goals we get. The more we expect strikers to score every chance they get the more pressure. We expect Biamou to get one header per game and score it, McNulty to get one long range chance and put it top corner. It's not going to happen.

Luton are the top scorers in the league, they missed very good chances against us.

It's really not hard to see for anybody watching the games that we need to create more chances.

Esoterica

Yes. There's no chance there - it's a free kick from the second the ball leaves Doyles boot on the half way line. Or did we create 20 chances for Huckerby to score every week should he have chosen to carry on his run and score a goal that would soon be disallowed?

mds

Thought a draw a fairer result but it is what it is.
Pontis not up to it yet, midfield lacking going forward meaning we are always gonna struggle to create chances for the forwards, Jones cant handle the pressure put on his shoulders to create its starting to show.
They were unlucky not to have two penaltys, we had a good goal disallowed and a fair penalty shout, definiely the best team weve seen at the Ricoh this season.
On to the next, PUSB.

Buster

put it about a bit for 10 minutes then seemed to change tack to big ball, early ball
our strikers are too slow to short for that i would have thought
cant see we have the forwards to cope when we set up with two holding midfielders

dongonzalos

Let’s see what happens in the meantime and January.

If he changes his formation and tactics and we score more goals than we conceded most weeks. Other than Duck or Ponti doing the scoring I will concede that I have it wrong.

If he keeps everything as it is and Ponti or the Duck goes onto score 15 plus goals and we get in the top 3 I think I had a point.

If we sign a striker and winger and both do the business. It’s a stalemate.

If we just sign a creative player and McNulty, Biamou or Beavon start scoring for fun then I had it wrong.

If we just sign a new striker and everything else stays the same abd the goals start flowing I think I will have had a point.

dongonzalos

Thought a draw a fairer result but it is what it is.
Pontis not up to it yet, midfield lacking going forward meaning we are always gonna struggle to create chances for the forwards, Jones cant handle the pressure put on his shoulders to create its starting to show.
They were unlucky not to have two penaltys, we had a good goal disallowed and a fair penalty shout, definiely the best team weve seen at the Ricoh this season.
On to the next, PUSB.

A good goal disallowed, you didn’t think it was offside?

dongonzalos

Yes mate. Wanted Ponti to be given his chance when it became apparent that McNulty wasn’t a ruthless finisher.
Didn’t see the point of giving Ponti 5 minutes at the end of game.
I felt that in games that we were dominating possession especially against 10 men for example he needed 20-30 mins.
No idea if he was going to be the answer or not until he played.
Also felt if this season was going to be about him playing 5 minute cameos then going out on loan may have been a better option.
Always felt that January was going to be the real time to address the striker situation

stupot07

You missed the one where their keeper scuffed his clearance and Kelly had the golden opportunity to put it into the top corner from 50 yards but chose to pass instead. If only he'd have been more ruthless.
Grimmers 25 yard weak shot pea roller is also down on the list as a SOT and therefore a chance.... If only we had a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker playing right back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

Grimmers 25 yard weak shot pea roller is also down on the list as a SOT and therefore a chance.... If only we had a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker playing right back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Let’s see what happens in January Stu

mds

A good goal disallowed, you didn’t think it was offside?
Thought he was at least 2-3 yards on side when the ball was played from where i was sat, block 17 in line with the goal line.
Can't be true, he's shit remember..Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You can see he has something, but its taking way too long for him to show, we needed him on his game 10 games ago not just starting to look like a player with over a third of the season gone.
Lets hope he shines in the next 2/3`s of the season.

covcity4life

Yes mate. Wanted Ponti to be given his chance when it became apparent that McNulty wasn’t a ruthless finisher.
Didn’t see the point of giving Ponti 5 minutes at the end of game.
I felt that in games that we were dominating possession especially against 10 men for example he needed 20-30 mins.
No idea if he was going to be the answer or not until he played.
Also felt if this season was going to be about him playing 5 minute cameos then going out on loan may have been a better option.
Always felt that January was going to be the real time to address the striker situation

we just need to make more(and better) chances per game. we know ponti is a good finisher and even he missed 2 v good chances on sat

we have the personal, just need to improve our midfield play now

dongonzalos

Thought he was at least 2-3 yards on side when the ball was played from where i was sat, block 17 in line with the goal line.

You can see he has something, but its taking way too long for him to show, we needed him on his game 10 games ago not just starting to look like a player with over a third of the season gone.
Lets hope he shines in the next 2/3`s of the season.

Fair play, cheers.
I was told I was ridiculous for even considering it as a chance.
Whereas you thought it was a legitimate goal.

dongonzalos

we just need to make more(and better) chances per game. we know ponti is a good finisher and even he missed 2 v good chances on sat

Fairplay that’s your opinion.
Other than the Duck and Ponti ( the jury is still out on both)
I think we need to do more than just create more opportunities for them I think we need someone who can ruthlessly put those chances away

Last edited:

dongonzalos

The decision by the lineswoman was wrong. But it was never a chance as she gave it offside. It's not hard to grasp.

So if I follow your method of debating and go to the ridiculous to make a point.

If in a match we score 4 goals in which on each occasion the officials make a bad call and incorrectly rule out all 4 goals. Everyone played on like normal whilst the goal is scored goal and only discovered afterwards it was ruled out.

They were are only chances on goal. You would be quite happy to say in that match we never created any chances on goal?

You see I would be saying we created 4 good chances on goal, that if it wasn’t for bad officiating would have been goals.

A bit like the other week when someone point out that McNulty can finish because he had a goal incorrectly ruled out for off side

stevefloyd

He is still very naive but at least he was there to miss them

stevefloyd

Fucking hell this thread would be only about 5 pages without the schoolboy bickering. Give it a fucking rest or pm each other

Grendel

Fairplay that’s your opinion.
Other than the Duck and Ponti ( the jury is still out on both)
I think we need to do more than just create more opportunities for them I think we need someone who can ruthlessly put those chances away

How many chances do you think a good striker converts into goals?

Nick

Administrator
Fucking hell this thread would be only about 5 pages without the schoolboy bickering. Give it a fucking rest or pm each other
It's every match he is telling people they are wrong and he didn't even go. It's getting embarassing, even when multiple people who went and saw things first hand tell him the same thing.

Even people who watch games back, obviously not as good as what somebody who was listening to the radio said during the game.

Obsessed with some imaginary striker that scores ever header, outpaces every defender and converts every chance in League 2.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Ahem, another chance was Jones free kick in the last minute of the second half, well, more of a backpass to the keeper.
...and where was Jones all second half ? Didn't fancy it. Drifted out wider and wider as the second half progressed . Pitches his tent on the sidelines when the going gets tough , where he won't be disturbed. Reminds me a little bit of Craig Bellamy, without the obvious talent.

Grendel

...and where was Jones all second half ? Didn't fancy it. Drifted out wider and wider as the second half progressed . Pitches his tent on the sidelines when the going gets tough , where he won't be disturbed. Reminds me a little bit of Craig Bellamy, without the obvious talent.

Christ the amount of stick he is getting is ridiculous. He had a bad game and still looked like the only player we had with any pace and forward movement.

The likes of Haynes can steal a living for years and some never criticise him at all

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Christ the amount of stick he is getting is ridiculous. He had a bad game and still looked like the only player we had with any pace and forward movement.

The likes of Haynes can steal a living for years and some never criticise him at all
Pace is wasted when there is no end product and there is no end product.

Nick

Administrator
Pace is wasted when there is no end product and there is no end product.

He does some games, the issue was more that their Right Back was on a yellow and he wasted the chance. I wasn't expecting him to put 40 yard passes through, just to make that guy's second half as difficult as possible.

The bloke would have had to stand off him, so run at him. If he fouls he could well get sent off, if he backs off you go past him and then look to cut it back and generally just be a nuisance.

He was out of the game in the first half when the throw in didn't go his way by the corner flag pretty much.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So where have the 8 assists come from then?[/QUOTE
8 ? is that all ? What was his contribution in the second half on Saturday ? He went AWOL

Users who are viewing this thread