Match Thread Coventry City - Port Vale Match Thread - Saturday 9th Sep (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

In this league we are going to see plenty of games like this but as long as we are the ones with the goal I aint too bothered, its been doom and gloom on here just lately so at least the mood should be lifted...well until Tuesday at least

skybluegod

Apparently Robins said in his post match interview that McNulty has done him hamstring and will see him out for about 3 weeks, Andreu has done his ACL and potentially 6 months out as well as Grimmer straining his calf and he will also be out for a few weeks

Don't see how he would know it's an ACL, within an hour of him going off? It's impossible to tell until a scan is done? Worrying if true though

stevefloyd

Not a good game looked like we was always going to win (well after we scored) Port Vale offered little although they did hit the bar and we almost gifted them a goal, well Davies did, I wanted to see more of the duck but after that performance I am not so sure I do any more, we seriously lack fire power, not creating too many chances and the ones we do create either follows with a tame shot or off target, never seen the sending off I was looking down...duh If McDonalds going to be banned it will be a loss along with McNulty and Andreu although when they went off we never missed them, need more forward support/overlaps from our full backs too...Vincenti has his fair share of doubters but the guy battles and gets in some decent tackles too, awkward player and seemed to get quicker as the game wore on....not by much though

Amcoventry

9 of the top 11 teams won today and we were the lowest goal difference with the 1-0 win.. Vale & Chesterfield are bottom 2 teams, Chesterfield, who we drew with last week, lost 1-5 to Crewe. We need more goals!
Still a win is a win PUSB

Mucca Mad Boys

Vincenti gives away obsession close to our box, Burge out to concede a corner

Obrien would be bollocking Vincenti. Burge instead does nothing

Jones MOTM

Instead, O'Brien just gives goals away...

mechaishida

Scraping past Port Vale in a dismal match is somewhat disenchanting, but 3 wins thus far is more than I'd imagined. I'd take a shitty 1-0 every week in this league, tbh.

Seeing MR so wary and scrappy in his tactics does seem concerning, but then L2 is a world apart from L1 it seems and adjustment is required.

Something will click in this team, this year, I can feel it: considering how far and terribly we've fallen as a club and fan base, just one spark could make the difference...and no, I don't mean setting the Ricoh ablaze...

theferret

Thought that was decent. Apart from injury time they barely threatened. At 1 nil up we were the team going forward, created 4 or 5 decent chances (how many times over the past few seasons have we camped in our own half after taking the lead). None of that today.

Room for improvement sure, but a solid win nonetheless.

singers_pore

Scraping past Port Vale in a dismal match is somewhat disenchanting, but 3 wins thus far is more than I'd imagined. I'd take a shitty 1-0 every week in this league, tbh.

Seeing MR so wary and scrappy in his tactics does seem concerning, but then L2 is a world apart from L1 it seems and adjustment is required.

Something will click in this team, this year, I can feel it: considering how far and terribly we've fallen as a club and fan base, just one spark could make the difference...and no, I don't mean setting the Ricoh ablaze...

Things will click if we can find someone upfront who is as dangerous as Jones. Otherwise, this looks like a mid-table team.

Johnnythespider

A better second half performance, we should have been out of sight before the sending off and avoided the nervy ending. Unlike others I thought Nazon did quite well when he came on, I would like to see him get a few games before deciding if he's shit or not, I certainly think McNulty and Beavon have had more than enough time to prove themselves and should be dropped while we see what others in the squad are capable of. Finally the ref was quite obviously unfit and way behind the play for most of the game, I know it's league 2 but surely the very least we should expect is a certain level of fitness from the officials.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

We won ugly today probably a little cautious and lacking in confidence but winning breeds confidence out of all the games we have played we have never been outplayed except perhaps against Blackburn, if we can keep nicking the odd game here and there I am sure it will come good

stevefloyd

A better second half performance, we should have been out of sight before the sending off and avoided the nervy ending. Unlike others I thought Nazon did quite well when he came on, I would like to see him get a few games before deciding if he's shit or not, I certainly think McNulty and Beavon have had more than enough time to prove themselves and should be dropped while we see what others in the squad are capable of. Finally the ref was quite obviously unfit and way behind the play for most of the game, I know it's league 2 but surely the very least we should expect is a certain level of fitness from the officials.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Ahh theres where the memo went wrong, they thought it was a certain level of fatness due to a spelling mistake

Mcbean

Nazon needed to shoot earlier with his big run - but he is strong which is what we need - would like to see more - Ref what can you say and the linesman clearly had a wasp in his eye for the red - lets see later on the box - looks like he tripped - if so then they should appeal

Otis

Thought that was decent. Apart from injury time they barely threatened. At 1 nil up we were the team going forward, created 4 or 5 decent chances (how many times over the past few seasons have we camped in our own half after taking the lead). None of that today.

And we look solid at the back. We've given two goals away to really awful goalkeeping errors. Besides that we have hardly been under much threat. That has to be a good sign.

Bit worried on the striking front. If Andreu is injured and Biamou and McNulty and Thomas is on loan, that only leaves Beavon, Nazon and Ponticelli doesn't it?

Cov kid 55

That was something I noticed at Grimsby. We scored 1 and went looking for more, scored a second and kept going forward, whereas in the past, we've sat back when 1-0 up. Need to score first, perhaps?

Johnnythespider

Nazon needed to shoot earlier with his big run - but he is strong which is what we need - would like to see more - Ref what can you say and the linesman clearly had a wasp in his eye for the red - lets see later on the box - looks like he tripped - if so then they should appeal
I said the same to my lad about him being strong, he was holding players off easily.
VOODOO

Otis

I certainly didn't feel it was a red. I thought he definitely did bring him down, but that there were other defenders covering, so should have been a yellow.

Nick

Administrator
I certainly didn't feel it was a red. I thought he definitely did bring him down, but that there were other defenders covering, so should have been a yellow.
Ah I thought at the time he was last man. Will be able to tell watching it back

lifeskyblue

I was in corporate seats today and thought it was a yellow but I was other side of pitch. Then as the ref dallied and then went to the Lino (who was further away than I was) I thought he might book the attacker. Will be a nteresting to see it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

Ah I thought at the time he was last man. Will be able to tell watching it back
Been watching too much match of the day I'm afraid and listening to the pundits. There is no such thing as "last man" which is a term banded about every week. The definition is "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity" of which there could be 5 or 7 men in the vicinity.

Users who are viewing this thread