Match Thread Coventry City v Luton Match Thread Tuesday 13th March (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

1-1 I think. Can't see them not scoring, not so sure about us if we play like we did on Saturday.

Burge

Haynes
McDonald
Willis
Grimmer

Reid
Doyle
Bayliss
Baker

McNulty
JCH

Would be my preference, think he will stick with Kelly though.

If everyone was fully fit, I’d say this is the best team to field against the teams we typically struggle against.

However, Kelly and Doyle start against Luton (and Notts County) because this is the kind of game they thrive in. With those two in the middle, we seem to stifle even the best attacking teams in this division. For example, both Luton and Wycombe were free-scoring before they played us and we went and 0’d them. The key to winning this game is to not concede - because in a free scoring game, we just won’t come off as winners.

My thoughts going into Barnet and Luton at home was that we’d probably draw at Barnet and beat Luton. Whilst I’d take 4pts off these two games, Luton look a bit vulnerable atm, so I fancy us for the win.

I’m going to go for 2-0, a late goal to secure the win in what was a tense affair.

Brighton Sky Blue

If everyone was fully fit, I’d say this is the best team to field against the teams we typically struggle against.

However, Kelly and Doyle start against Luton (and Notts County) because this is the kind of game they thrive in. With those two in the middle, we seem to stifle even the best attacking teams in this division. For example, both Luton and Wycombe were free-scoring before they played us and we went and 0’d them. The key to winning this game is to not concede - because in a free scoring game, we just won’t come off as winners.

My thoughts going into Barnet and Luton at home was that we’d probably draw at Barnet and beat Luton. Whilst I’d take 4pts off these two games, Luton look a bit vulnerable atm, so I fancy us for the win.

I’m going to go for 2-0, a late goal to secure the win in what was a tense affair.

That's fair, but we create so little going forward I don't see where the goals come from. Which I think is more down to the set-up than a lack of quality.

CCFC88

Think MR will fancy his chances of keeping a clean sheet with Doyle/Kelly or at least keeping them to 1, which gives us a much better chance of getting anything out of this game.

They've only scored 1 in each of their last 3 away games, 3 in their last 5 away games, against much weaker defences than ours.

Strangely I think both sides would be happy with a point from this one if offered it now.

Ricketts

Whilst I would love to both predict and watch a 5-0 City, I think we will lose.

No big deal, but only 1 goal please, dont want to ruin our goal difference.

I think most of us would take a draw now.

Reading both of the fans forums from Saturday, Accrington were lucky to win, and Luton played OK. The Lton goalie doesnt get down to low shots too well, I hope our players know that.

Maybe Stokes for Haynes, and as much as I have been impressed with Bayliss he didnt play well on the right wing on Saturday. I thought it would've been him subbed, not Reid.

I'm hoping it was because he wanted to keep Reid fresher for Luton, but if that was the case why not also do Ponticelli for McNulty?

Mucca Mad Boys

That's fair, but we create so little going forward I don't see where the goals come from. Which I think is more down to the set-up than a lack of quality.

Which is why I was in favour of signing Baker because I think he’ll add creativity and goal scoring - something we’ve not had from the wings since Jones got injured!

We just seem to get things done against teams who look like they should beat us; Swindon had the best away record coming to us - we win 3-1, Wycombe and Mansfield were the in-form teams at home - we leave with 4pts, and 10 men for 75m v Mansfield off the back of a 3 loss streak.

It’d be typically frustrating of us to beat Luton to go 5pts off 3rd, then lose to Crewe...

Skyblueweeman

• 1Burge
  • 2Grimmer
  • 4Willis
  • 5McDonald
  • 24Haynes
  • 8Doyle
  • 6Kelly
  • 11Jones Substituted for Shipley at 90'minutes
  • 7Vincenti Substituted for Biamou at 82'minutes
  • 10McNulty
  • 38Ponticelli Substituted for Nazon at 81'minutes
Substitutes
  • 3Stokes
  • 9Biamou
  • 12Davies
  • 13O'Brien
  • 18Nazon
  • 26Shipley
  • 28Maycock
This is the side that beat Luton 3-0 away. We've beat them once, we can do it again.

2-0 to us.

SlowerThanPlatt

They’ve sold 1,700 tickets so will be a larger crowd than usual and hopefully a better atmosphere than usual in the home end.

Burge

Grimmer
Willis
McDonald
Haynes

Barrett
Bayliss
Doyle
Reid

McNulty
Clarke Harris

Either play Bayliss in centre mid or put him on the bench.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Can't be anywhere near ready then. You would have thought we would have thrown him straight in, even if it were for just20 mins from the bench.

Unless he is down as one of the trialists for today (which would be weird as we've signed him already so why not just mention his name), I would say he would have his clearance by now and will be in the squad for tomorrow.

He was ready for the u23s about two weeks ago if I remember so if he isn't being used today it must be because he's in for tomorrow. Unless he hasn't had his clearance and therefore has to play today as a trialist.

If he isn't even ready for the u23s then that would be pretty bad in my opinion, but also not believable otherwise why would we sign him?

That gave me a headache writing it.

Otis

Unless he is down as one of the trialists for today (which would be weird as we've signed him already so why not just mention his name), I would say he would have his clearance by now and will be in the squad for tomorrow.

He was ready for the u23s about two weeks ago if I remember so if he isn't being used today it must be because he's in for tomorrow. Unless he hasn't had his clearance and therefore has to play today as a trialist.

If he isn't even ready for the u23s then that would be pretty bad in my opinion, but also not believable otherwise why would we sign him?

That gave me a headache writing it.
Well yep, maybe LSR will surprise us all and we'll see Super Bakes on the bench tomorrow.

no_loyalty

Surely we can't lose to a team who haven't beaten us away since 1987, and prior to that 1930

SlowerThanPlatt

Is Vincenti injured again or just not favoured?

Right midfield has been a real problem this season. Thought Vincenti would have made that position his own with his experience at a higher level. DeKE hasn’t looked up to it nor have the two loanees.

With Baker not match fit and the others not favoured by the manager, it will most likely be Bayliss wide right again which is a problem as he isn’t a winger.

Otis

Which is a boost, but then part of me worries about a lack of match fitness and sharpness and that could backfire on us. Would be very easy for him to tweak something.

My guess is it will be bench if he's in the reckoning. Give him 15-20 mins in the second half.

Otis

Is Vincenti injured again or just not favoured?

Right midfield has been a real problem this season. Thought Vincenti would have made that position his own with his experience at a higher level. DeKE hasn’t looked up to it nor have the two loanees.

With Baker not match fit and the others not favoured by the manager, it will most likely be Bayliss wide right again which is a problem as he isn’t a winger.
Yep. Interesting on Vincenti, because not in the squad Saturday and not in the U23's today. Same with Beavon. We also only ever seem to have one DKE not injured at a time.

Would have expected a slightly stronger U23 team with a few pushing for a place in the first team squad.

no_loyalty

Which is a boost, but then part of me worries about a lack of match fitness and sharpness and that could backfire on us. Would be very easy for him to tweak something.

My guess is it will be bench if he's in the reckoning. Give him 15-20 mins in the second half.

I think Baker will be on the bench in place of Devon Kelly-Evans

Adge

I'd stick with the much maligned Doyle and Kelly for this one as I think we need to keep it tight for as long as possible and hopefully nick one. On that basis Stokes is a must aswell.

Gibbo

I'd stick with the much maligned Doyle and Kelly for this one as I think we need to keep it tight for as long as possible and hopefully nick one. On that basis Stokes is a must aswell.
On the mark.
All we know about Robbins tells that he in a vital game he will not play anything other than Doyle / Kelly, not least because Luton are such free scorers. Bayliss in the centre too risky. For the same reason I would go with Stokes / Reid on left rather than Haynes / Reid favoured by most above.
The point is that there is no perfect answer to the midfield four conundrum, given the players available. It is just that B/D/K/R ticks more boxes than any other combination, particularly against Luton.. This game is a case of staying in there and then nicking one - see Mansfield, Wycombe Barnet

Brighton Sky Blue

On the mark.
All we know about Robbins tells that he in a vital game he will not play anything other than Doyle / Kelly, not least because Luton are such free scorers. Bayliss in the centre too risky. For the same reason I would go with Stokes / Reid on left rather than Haynes / Reid favoured by most above.
The point is that there is no perfect answer to the midfield four conundrum, given the players available. It is just that B/D/K/R ticks more boxes than any other combination, particularly against Luton.. This game is a case of staying in there and then nicking one - see Mansfield, Wycombe Barnet

Staying in there and nicking one at home to the bottom club? Agree with other points.

Gibbo

Without having kicked a ball competitively for months? Also, I didn't think they'd cleared the paperwork (not McNulty, Otis) yet?

Baker is just the "grass is always greener" see DKE x 2, Ponticelli before they were actually on the pitch for a few games.
1-1 for me. McNumpty Peanut or whatever his name is these days

Otis

I'm not at all sure that hopefully nicking one is the way to go. Sounds incredibly negative.

Luton have wobbled and we have just won 2 in a row.

Nick

Administrator
"Nicking one" relies on the other team not doing much in front of goal, if we play at the back like we did on Saturday then Luton won't miss as many as Barnet did.

Mucca Mad Boys

"Nicking one" relies on the other team not doing much in front of goal, if we play at the back like we did on Saturday then Luton won't miss as many as Barnet did.

I think a few people are fixating on the use of the term ‘nicking one’. We’re going to set up the team to be solid and not concede and then hit Luton on the counter-attack. It’s a strategy that worked to devastating effect at their place, and generally against the ‘better’ sides in this division, with the exception of Accrington Stanley.

It isn’t really a must win game as a draw sees us overtake Lincoln and go 7th. Whilst I think we’ll win 2-0, I think a 1-1 draw is a possibility too.

Covkid1968#

Stuck in Liverpool and desperately trying to get back for this game..........I cant see anything but a loss after the last performance.....but would be massively pleased to be proven wrong.

Otis

I think a few people are fixating on the use of the term ‘nicking one’. We’re going to set up the team to be solid and not concede and then hit Luton on the counter-attack. It’s a strategy that worked to devastating effect at their place, and generally against the ‘better’ sides in this division, with the exception of Accrington Stanley.

It isn’t really a must win game as a draw sees us overtake Lincoln and go 7th. Whilst I think we’ll win 2-0, I think a 1-1 draw is a possibility too.
But wasn't it 'devestating' because we had the pace of Jodi Jones?

We now don't have any pace. Strategy like that surely wouldn't work tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread