Match Thread Coventry City v Luton Match Thread Tuesday 13th March (2 Viewers)

Otis

Have to agree with that he was slow out of position and really did very little.
Should have been the first one subbed.
It was tricky though. I understood all the subs tonight.

Both Vincenti and Shipley were tired and looked like they were running through treacle and Bayliss was clearly carrying a knock.

Robins had to be selective and judge which player needed to come off first.

Nick

Administrator
That chance that landed to Haynes to hit in injury time......should have been buried, a scuff would have gone in!

McNulty had the one where Vincenti put him through as well, will have to see it again but he was near enough on the pen spot to put it anywhere when he hit it.

letsallsingtogether

Generally it was but we went 1 up and then slowed everything down, second half you could see it happening and it’s been happening for years with city we invite pressure on to us and can’t cope with it.

Really so we sat back?

Wow,
Are you sure you were not watching the Villa?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Nope, happy to be proven wrong you were drinking beers. Was wrong about that. It's hardly the massive drinking game you tried to get into every post though so that's more of a case of trying to give it the billy big bollocks. In reality you had a handful of cans of Carling with your mate watching the game and were sat posting online, again not really in a position to go on about me not having a life because I mentioned it.

The price is the same as it has been all season, said at the start to buy a match package and save money if you really wanted to go which you could have used up easily by now. Obviously not too bothered and just want to moan every game that you wanted to go but you can't because of the price.

Glad you admitted you were wrong about the drinking. Thank you. And no, it isn't a badge of honour. I thought it would just be funny that when Burge kicked it out for a throw, that was another consumption we had to make. It was just a laugh.

As I said, with a match package it is the capital expenditure which is the problem for me. You have to pay it all out at once. I can't justify that because firstly with other more important things I have going on in my life I cannot justify putting that cost out in one go, and secondly I don't know how many games I would actually go to with it. The match day cost has put a lot of people, including myself out of the running when it comes to turning up on the day. I know you might not understand that but it is true.

Yes, I know I bang on about it. If nothing is said however, how will it ever get changed?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What did robins say post game interview?

Not too negative really. He said he was frustrated in how we conceded the goals, but that taking 4 points off Luton this season was a good achievement.

Also said something about it now being a 10 game season, but to be honest I was in the queue for the phone in so was only half listening whilst thinking about what to say.

wingy

Who's going to play Saturday .
I think it's obvious as expected plus potential injury from tonight that Bayliss should be rested.
Baker would be an obvious addition but I just can't see him being up to speed yet.
Can we do something with the shape to get others involved ,thinking a surprise from the U23's, or Involving Max from the start.
Just don't think the loans bring anything.

Liquid Gold

Just got home. Pleased overall. We came flying out the blocks and Luton couldn't handle us but we looks os vulnerable to balls into the box and if I was an opposition manager that's where I'd be targeting us. I'll echo others in saying I'd have taken a draw before the game started but to be 2-0 and end up drawing feels a bit deflating. Good atmosphere inside the Ricoh tonight and one of the better overall games I've seen this season.

Shame to see it kicking off at the end. Why can't grown adults go to football without having a punch up. I saw some luton fan who just have been in his late 40s/early 50s smack some young Cov lad in the back of head as he walked away from him.

wingy

Just got home. Pleased overall. We came flying out the blocks and Luton couldn't handle us but we looks os vulnerable to balls into the box and if I was an opposition manager that's where I'd be targeting us. I'll echo others in saying I'd have taken a draw before the game started but to be 2-0 and end up drawing feels a bit deflating. Good atmosphere inside the Ricoh tonight and one of the better overall games I've seen this season.

Shame to see it kicking off at the end. Why can't grown adults go to football without having a punch up. I saw some luton fan who just have been in his late 40s/early 50s smack some young Cov lad in the back of head as he walked away from him.
That’s shit to hear.
Did you make it for kick off?

Sick Boy

Fair play to you for making the journey during the week!!

fernandopartridge

Hyam and McDonald just don't communicate.

Sbarcher

Think Rod is trying to break Hyam, well, something like that!

Warwickhunt

Reid's shot was better than I thought it was and was unlucky not to go in

Astute

Just got home. Was really pissed off earlier. But on reflection a decent point. We had enough chances to bury them. But they had enough chances to bury us. Look at their GD. They score goals. Overall a good performance against the side in 2nd.

All the teams at the top are dropping points. We are 7 points behind Notts County in 3rd with a game in hand. Just a shame that our GD is poor compared to the other teams because we don't score enough goals. But there is still a long way to go.

Dropping 2 points last night isn't as bad as dropping 3 points when losing to sides near the bottom. That is what will cost us the most if we don't get promoted.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
One of the better games, so much improved after Saturday.

Was happy with a point before and whilst disappointing, they are a good team and have substitutes of an equivalent level to the rest of the team. We do not so we weaken when we have to eventually make the changes.

On paper, the easier of 10 games to go. Play like last night and we win all 10 but in reality, 6-7 wins now would be great.

Baker playing as the sub would be interesting. Could be a better option than Reid, as for Kelly, never should he be on the pitch when Doyle is.

stevefloyd

I guess it was there biggest away game of the season but there was a few in the main stand near us and it was embarrassing. One Luton fan in a body warmer on if anyone seen him went historical to the point he ‘went with in himself’ when they scored but was disallowed and looked embarrassed afterwards he was so histerical.
Was he talking about the magna Carta and stuff?

Nick

Administrator
I don't think we will get the same chances or as much space against crewe as we did last night.

They stood off us and gave us so much space, should have been out of sight before they scored.

lifeskyblue

Last night bitterly disappointed but this morning more sanguine. Although we should have taken all three points it could in the end have gone either way.
I thought their attack was bright with good movement and our defence in the main stood up well. However their defence was slow and ponderous and 1st half we explored that well. Second half we only did that occasionally but still had enough opportunities to kill off the game before they drew level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Last night bitterly disappointed but this morning more sanguine. Although we should have taken all three points it could in the end have gone either way.
I thought their attack was bright with good movement and our defence in the main stood up well. However their defence was slow and ponderous and 1st half we explored that well. Second half we only did that occasionally but still had enough opportunities to kill off the game before they drew level.

Very interesting to note too that in the first half Luton went very direct and very long and we withstood it.

In the second half they changed tact and went down the flanks a lot more in an attempt to get round the back of us and put the ball in from dangerous positions on the wing and they looked all the more dangerous for it.

I wasn't too disappointed at all. As soon as Burge made that mistake I expected an equiliser and was even worried about us facing defeat.

We keep playing like that the rest of the season though and the play-offs will most definitely be on.

lifeskyblue

Very interesting to note too that in the first half Luton went very direct and very long and we withstood it.

In the second half they changed tact and went down the flanks a lot more in an attempt to get round the back of us and put the ball in from dangerous positions on the wing and they looked all the more dangerous for it.

I wasn't too disappointed at all. As soon as Burge that mistake I expected an equiliser and was even worried about us facing defeat.

We keep playing like that the rest of the season though and the play-offs will most definitely be on.

Yes agree re their change of style, that I half expected us to lose after they scored their first. As for playoffs we should do it....it’s in our hands and if we play positively we have too much for the majority of teams in this league.
Last night I thought Shipley, Bayliss and especially vincenti all ran out of steam early second half

Otis

Yes agree re their change of style, that I half expected us to lose after they scored their first. As for playoffs we should do it....it’s in our hands and if we play positively we have too much for the majority of teams in this league.
Last night I thought Shipley, Bayliss and especially vincenti all ran out of steam early second half

Totally agree. That's the same three players I identified too.

It gave Robins a real dilemma and I find criticism of his subs last night wide of the mark as all three were clearly struggling.

Grendel

Vincenti didn’t have any steam to start with.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Totally agree. That's the same three players I identified too.

It gave Robins a real dilemma and I find criticism of his subs last night wide of the mark as all three were clearly struggling.

You are right, they were struggling and needed to be subbed although I think Vince could have made it through.
I don't think he had a choice but to change it, perhaps Stokes could have come on at left back and allowed Haynes to play the midfield as he looks more threatening than Reid.
Kelly had to come on but didn't get to the pace of the game, chased shadows and always looks backwards in those situations and Pont fresh legs were always a good idea.

I think it shows how weak the squad is overall compared to others, no-one can come off that bench and change a game

Sky Blue Pete

Their second was a fabulous goal. You can look at many errors or lack of sub but sometimes you say great cross, great header. So frustrating but was a good goal

lifeskyblue

Vincenti didn’t have any steam to start with.

I disagree thought he did well first half and early second half chased back well to make tackles on at least two occasions. Then became sluggish and heavy legged.

Otis

I disagree thought he did well first half and early second half chased back well to make tackles on at least two occasions. Then became sluggish and heavy legged.

He was excellent in that first half. Second half he looked like he had concrete boots on and was clearly struggling.

wingy

He was excellent in that first half. Second half he looked like he had concrete boots on and was clearly struggling.
Has he been out injured or just not selected?
If so Is there any reason apart from injury not to play the odd development game.
Would that damage morale for him or risk an injury we can't afford?

Nick

Administrator
Has he been out injured or just not selected?
If so Is there any reason apart from injury not to play the odd development game.
Would that damage morale for him or risk an injury we can't afford?

He was injured, then back in, then out completely, then back in to start.

Otis

He was injured, then back in, then out completely, then back in to start.
Yeah, not even in the squad on Saturday, but then straight back in last night.

It's odd that a few players from the first team squad weren't playing at least part of the U23 game yesterday.

Nick

Administrator
Could have had both of the DKE's in there to keep up there sharpness.

Ponticelli isnt really playing for them either, I know he's on the bench for us though but he won't get much sharpness.

Users who are viewing this thread