Coventry City v Luton Town - Championship playoff final - 27th May 2023 - Wembley Stadium (4 Viewers)

SkyBlueMatt

I'm in a strange mindset, I reckon we'll beat Luton but that would mean we're in the PL next season and I can't get my head around that. 🤯It blows my mind.

Luton are a tough team and they've had our number every time. I keep thinking back to that drubbing they gave us last season.

On the big stage, we've done it before and I think that will be the difference. If I can't be confident now we are in the final, when can I be?

Happy_Martian

It feels terrible but I'm going to continue my betting on whichever opponent we face as it seems to have worked so far. Started after the Stoke loss and we haven't lost since 🤪

Come on Sky Blues, keep making me poorer 😁

1684417677180.png

Happy_Martian

I'm in a strange mindset, I reckon we'll beat Luton but that would mean we're in the PL next season and I can't get my head around that. 🤯It blows my mind.

I was a season ticket holder at Highfield Road for over a decade and I've seen us play and compete against the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea home and away. But this time around, if we can get past Luton, I really do feel quite negative about our chances of survival and the subsequent drop in support and income to the club that we'll face.

But Robins has proven he can work miracles with practically nothing. And now with Doug King, hopefully he's more supportive than the previous owners regarding the sustainability of the club.

Bugsy

NorthernWisdom

I was a season ticket holder at Highfield Road for over a decade and I've seen us play and compete against the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea home and away. But this time around, if we can get past Luton, I really do feel quite negative about our chances of survival and the subsequent drop in support and income to the club that we'll face.

But Robins has proven he can work miracles with practically nothing. And now with Doug King, hopefully he's more supportive than the previous owners regarding the sustainability of the club.
A season in the top flight could allow us to actually buy our own defenders, assuming all the TV money doesn't go to Seppala

Brighton Sky Blue

If used smartly the enormous money boost from one season in the Prem could set the club up in the longer term.

SkyBlueMatt

A season in the top flight could allow us to actually buy our own defenders, assuming all the TV money doesn't go to Seppala

If used smartly the enormous money boost from one season in the Prem could set the club up in the longer term.

If it was to happen, the financial aspect will set us up and put us in the most stable position I can ever remember. Plus, we will have an increased attendances even if we go down. IF I were to see the negative side, the only thing is the fans expectation. You know what this forum has been like at times, imagine now them with all the 'once a season' people who haven't been there from the bottom. All they will care about is 'what have you done for me lately'?

That's thinking wayyyy too far ahead. I'm just loving the right now, Wembley Baby!

5f222a31-0932-4dbc-92cf-7d9cb4dbfe8b_text.gif

Otis

2-1 loss after we get a late goal but it's not enough.

I know I was wrong about Middlesbrough but I'm sorry I just can't imagine seeing cov back on the prem again during my lifetime
Let me have your address and I will slip something in your tea while you're not looking.

TomRad85

Luton are a tough team and they've had our number every time. I keep thinking back to that drubbing they gave us last season.

On the big stage, we've done it before and I think that will be the difference. If I can't be confident now we are in the final, when can I be?
2 draws this season which are the only games relevant to look at. It's an incredibly tough fixture but we just feel unstoppable at Wembley, the support will help see us through.

Brighton Sky Blue

If it was to happen, the financial aspect will set us up and put us in the most stable position I can ever remember. Plus, we will have an increased attendances even if we go down. IF I were to see the negative side, the only thing is the fans expectation. You know what this forum has been like at times, imagine now them with all the 'once a season' people who haven't been there from the bottom. All they will care about is 'what have you done for me lately'?

That's thinking wayyyy too far ahead. I'm just loving the right now, Wembley Baby!

We’d use the money wisely and even on relegation you still get £45 million in the first season down as a parachute. It will be revolutionary to whoever wins.

Tommo1993

Not sure where people are getting this idea that we’re the underdogs from. Have heard “fans” of other teams saying it’ll be us because “Luton are shit”. Ah the glory boy ignoramus. Nobody gets to a play off final for being shit.

Madpig

Not sure where people are getting this idea that we’re the underdogs from. Have heard “fans” of other teams saying it’ll be us because “Luton are shit”. Ah the glory boy ignoramus. Nobody gets to a play off final for being shit.
Or only losing 8 games in a season, getting 80 points, and only Burnley had fewer goals scored against them.
Yeah , like those self obsessed faux Geordies say , Luton are shit

CCFC_Irish

Just enjoy the experience if Coventry get there. There are plenty of teams that do not have this opportunity and probably never will. There are city fans who spent the last 15+ years waiting for this moment and never got to see it and then there are younger fans who never watched Coventry in the Premiership.

Madpig

Just enjoy the experience if Coventry get there. There are plenty of teams that do not have this opportunity and probably never will. There are city fans who spent the last 15+ years waiting for this moment and never got to see it and then there are younger fans who never watched Coventry in the Premiership.
If we go up we know we're coming down...but with £160m. There'll be another time

shmmeee

Don’t worry Robins, your job is safe from AI for now:

(From Google Bard)

“Coventry City should play their strongest team in the Championship playoff final against Luton Town. Both teams are evenly matched, and the Sky Blues will need to be at their best to win.
Coventry have a good mix of experience and youth, and they have a number of players who can hurt Luton on the counterattack. The Sky Blues will also be buoyed by the fact that they have never lost to Luton in their last 10 meetings.
Luton are a physical team who like to play direct football. They are also very good at set pieces, so Coventry will need to be wary of those threats.
I think Coventry will win the final 2-1. They have the better players and the better manager, and they will be determined to make it back to the Premier League after a 22-year absence.
Here is my predicted starting lineup for Coventry:
  • Ben Wilson
  • Fankaty Dabo
  • Kyle McFadzean
  • Michael Rose
  • Jake Bidwell
  • Gustavo Hamer
  • Ben Sheaf
  • Callum O'Hare
  • Viktor Gyokeres
  • Martyn Waghorn
  • Matt Godden
I think this lineup gives Coventry the best balance of attack and defense. Dabo and McFadzean are both strong in the air and can get forward well, while Rose is a solid defender who can also distribute the ball well. Hamer is a good passer and can create chances, while Sheaf and O'Hare are both energetic and creative midfielders. Gyokeres and Waghorn are both good goalscorers, and Godden is a reliable target man.
I think this lineup will give Coventry the best chance of winning the final. They have the quality and the experience to get the job done, and I am confident that they will be able to make it back to the Premier League.”

napolimp

Don’t worry Robins, your job is safe from AI for now:

(From Google Bard)

“Coventry City should play their strongest team in the Championship playoff final against Luton Town. Both teams are evenly matched, and the Sky Blues will need to be at their best to win.
Coventry have a good mix of experience and youth, and they have a number of players who can hurt Luton on the counterattack. The Sky Blues will also be buoyed by the fact that they have never lost to Luton in their last 10 meetings.
Luton are a physical team who like to play direct football. They are also very good at set pieces, so Coventry will need to be wary of those threats.
I think Coventry will win the final 2-1. They have the better players and the better manager, and they will be determined to make it back to the Premier League after a 22-year absence.
Here is my predicted starting lineup for Coventry:
  • Ben Wilson
  • Fankaty Dabo
  • Kyle McFadzean
  • Michael Rose
  • Jake Bidwell
  • Gustavo Hamer
  • Ben Sheaf
  • Callum O'Hare
  • Viktor Gyokeres
  • Martyn Waghorn
  • Matt Godden
I think this lineup gives Coventry the best balance of attack and defense. Dabo and McFadzean are both strong in the air and can get forward well, while Rose is a solid defender who can also distribute the ball well. Hamer is a good passer and can create chances, while Sheaf and O'Hare are both energetic and creative midfielders. Gyokeres and Waghorn are both good goalscorers, and Godden is a reliable target man.
I think this lineup will give Coventry the best chance of winning the final. They have the quality and the experience to get the job done, and I am confident that they will be able to make it back to the Premier League.”

You had me at Waghorn's a good goalscorer.

napolimp

I actually am as well surprisingly! Think that big pitch will suit us to a T.

Not liking this optimism, I'm fully expecting to get nothing from the game. Although I fully understand there's a chance we might win, because we're playing, I just can't get my head around being in the Premier League next season. Doesn't make any sense.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not liking this optimism, I'm fully expecting to get nothing from the game. Although I fully understand there's a chance we might win, because we're playing, I just can't get my head around being in the Premier League next season. Doesn't make any sense.

Luton fans will be feeling the same for the most part. As they say, styles make matches and next weekend it’s the brute force side against the nifty counterattacking one.

Oddly I won’t cry if we lose but probably will if we win. Mrs BSB will be consistent and cry in both cases.

Joy Division

Would the box formation work against Luton, i'm thinking we have the advantage with the bigger pitch and we defended like spartans last night, we can mix it physically in defence and in my opinion have the better midfield
Not sure where all this 'big pitch' thing is coming from. Wembley isn't and never been a big pitch compared to other stadiums, it's about the same size as the CBS and actually not that much bigger than Kenilworth Road

Users who are viewing this thread