Match Thread Coventry City vs Lincoln City Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Mar (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

One of the games we hosted there last summer against some some London lads whose team were over for the weekend. Managed to sneak the Sky Blues Czech flag into the picture!
20214554_834172436757857_1645897502949376000_n.jpg
Is that Christian Ericsson number 23?

SkyBlueSoul

I find it a very difficult concept that anyone can have a favourite lager

Perhaps it's my age
Not all lagers taste the same though, so naturally people will prefer some to others. I guess it's just a subjective thing and some people are more fussed than others

Esoterica

What a great story.
How many games a year do you host there?
Not many honestly, 2 or 3 plus a couple of tournaments that we participate in. Because of the lengthy winter break here (Dec to mid March) our league season can go on til the end of May and we don't get much of a summer break as we start again in August. It's not a professionally packaged weekend we advertise as such, just something we'll arrange if a team contacts us for a game.

Otis

Not all lagers taste the same though, so naturally people will prefer some to others. I guess it's just a subjective thing and some people are more fussed than others
I think I have a favourite food and a favourite colour too, as well as a favourite band.

Many apologies for that.

Terry_dactyl

Not many honestly, 2 or 3 plus a couple of tournaments that we participate in. Because of the lengthy winter break here (Dec to mid March) our league season can go on til the end of May and we don't get much of a summer break as we start again in August. It's not a professionally packaged weekend we advertise as such, just something we'll arrange if a team contacts us for a game.

I’d bloody love that...it looks/sounds terrific.
Albeit judging by that photo I’m probably the wrong side of 40 to do the stadium justice.

Esoterica

I’d bloody love that...it looks/sounds terrific.
Albeit judging by that photo I’m probably the wrong side of 40 to do the stadium justice.
It was just an incredible event that snowballed and caught the hearts of the community. Weird to be on a regular bus full of people with spades and saws! The Fire brigade were down there watering the pitch. The local Brewery set up tents at the weekends with free beer for anyone helping. Svancara thought they'd open one section and get 5000 people tops and it was easily sold out at 35,000. There was even a fair few people that travelled from abroad to the game just to tick off the stadium from their list, with no connection to Brno or CZ.

The Guardian did a decent article on it afterwards too:
Zbrojovka Brno fans and the remarkable rebuilding of their Za Luzankami stadium

It costs 70 quid to rent the pitch there for 2 hours, if you just want to do keepie uppies on it. :)

Terry Gibson's perm

That is real football in a real ground not the sanitised stuff we get to put up with in this country.

We have forgotten here that it’s the working mans game and not some bloke from abroad with his fify fifty scarf.

The best atmosphere I have been in was the Milan derby behind the goal with flares raining down on me and god knows what else, people trying to sneak in getting battered by the police with sticks.

If you look at places like Argentina,turkey etc they still have it because they don’t care about tv audiences listen at most premier grounds and there is little atmosphere partly due to all seating and fans have changed.

I was not a big fan of HR but ten thousand in there created a better atmosphere than thirty thousand in the Ricoh

SkyBlueSoul

That is real football in a real ground not the sanitised stuff we get to put up with in this country.

We have forgotten here that it’s the working mans game and not some bloke from abroad with his fify fifty scarf.

The best atmosphere I have been in was the Milan derby behind the goal with flares raining down on me and god knows what else, people trying to sneak in getting battered by the police with sticks.

If you look at places like Argentina,turkey etc they still have it because they don’t care about tv audiences listen at most premier grounds and there is little atmosphere partly due to all seating and fans have changed.

I was not a big fan of HR but ten thousand in there created a better atmosphere than thirty thousand in the Ricoh
I have a football bucket list based on just that kind of experience, where the football club is still the heart of a city or area. As well as the obvious European games like the Milan derby, games like Galatasaray v Fenerbahçe and Boca v River Plate at La Bonbonera are right up there for me. Hopefully one day...

Brighton Sky Blue

I have a football bucket list based on just that kind of experience, where the football club is still the heart of a city or area. As well as the obvious European games like the Milan derby, games like Galatasaray v Fenerbahçe and Boca v River Plate at La Bonbonera are right up there for me. Hopefully one day...

One regret from living in Scotland was never going to an Old Firm game, definitely want to tick that off at some point.

Sbarcher

Player ratings v Lincoln.
Burge - 10. Never let a thing past him all game. Kicking great, never found touch.
Defence - 10. Kept another clean sheet. Almost as if Lincoln didn't turn up.
Midfield - 5. A contrasting performance, excellent in helping defence, but didn't string a pass together all day.
Attack - 0. Not one attempt on goal.

Robins - 5. Thought he struggled to get the fans behind him, other than that, pitch perfect.
Fans - 0. Shit turnout, no atmosphere.

Otis

Player ratings v Lincoln.
Burge - 10. Never let a thing past him all game. Kicking great, never found touch.
Defence - 10. Kept another clean sheet. Almost as if Lincoln didn't turn up.
Midfield - 5. A contrasting performance, excellent in helping defence, but didn't string a pass together all day.
Attack - 0. Not one attempt on goal.

Robins - 5. Thought he struggled to get the fans behind him, other than that, pitch perfect.
Fans - 0. Shit turnout, no atmosphere.
I would still knock 2 or 3 points off Burge, just because he's Lee Burge.

Sky Blue Harry H

Oh Gibbo - I was with you, until that bit !
I think we have to take into account that 90+ % of our collective memories consist of only top flight or Championship football at Highfield Road - no Forest Greens, Accringtons or Chesterfields (no offfence to those clubs) - hence the fond ;eaning towards the stadium - a bit like it was always sunny during the Summer holidays at school age.

fernandopartridge

I think we have to take into account that 90+ % of our collective memories consist of only top flight or Championship football at Highfield Road - no Forest Greens, Accringtons or Chesterfields (no offfence to those clubs) - hence the fond ;eaning towards the stadium - a bit like it was always sunny during the Summer holidays at school age.
Yes. The final season was dire before the last half a dozen games. I remember watching us lose at home to Burnley in around Feb 2005, about 12k and no atmosphere, thoroughly miserable. Also remember a few dire top flight games.

The upside was that Highfield Rd had plenty of escape routes in the form of nearby pubs.

clint van damme

Yes. The final season was dire before the last half a dozen games. I remember watching us lose at home to Burnley in around Feb 2005, about 12k and no atmosphere, thoroughly miserable. Also remember a few dire top flight games.

The upside was that Highfield Rd had plenty of escape routes in the form of nearby pubs.

when it comes down to it, when you're listing why HR was better than the Ricoh, that pretty much nails it.

stevefloyd

It was sunny every day during school holidays ........unless it rained and spoiled it

stevefloyd

I seem to remember being up HR and being pissed off because the away fans outsung us on numerous occasions singers corner is much better these days. I got my ex missus to ring up cwr after 1 game to complain about the lack of atmosphere Rob Gurney asked her to sing twist and shout, I nearly crashed the car when she started singing it, I had to pull over because I couldn't see through laughing so much... she was a crazy woman.... ...still liked HR better though

Otis

Absolutely tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of games at HR where there was absolutely zero atmosphere.

Become a bit of an urban legend that it was better than the Rioch.

A lot of the time there it was much better times than we find ourselves in now and the opposition was much better too.

You also then of course have to factor in the large support brought by the likes of Man U and Liverpool and Leeds and Chelsea and Arsenal and Spurs and Villa etc.

Big away following more often than not equates to a better atmosphere.

Last few years now we have been playing clubs that bring little or no away support.

Massive factor.

I recall Highfield Road being a library just as much as the Ricoh is, only we remember more of the top clashes we had back then. We were playing the top Premier/First Division teams, not Bury and Rochdale and Scunthorpe and Grimsby and Morecambe and Crawley etc.

Very much become an urban legend unfortunately.

As with any ground around the country, as soon as it's at well less than half capacity, the atmosphere suffers dramatically.

Sky Blue Harry H

Is this going to be the first 1,000 post thread for a League game this season ? - must be close to a record (albeit, it will be discussing vegetable patches by the time we get to kick off - that said Lincolnshire is a good vegetable producing area)!

Johhny Blue

Is this going to be the first 1,000 post thread for a League game this season ? - must be close to a record (albeit, it will be discussing vegetable patches by the time we get to kick off - that said Lincolnshire is a good vegetable producing area)!
I saw a lot of vegetables last time I was at a game vs Leicester

Users who are viewing this thread