Match Thread Coventry City vs. Luton Town Match Thread - Saturday 15th Dec (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Luton are on a very good run, Coventry are on a bad run, so I sense an upset coming.
All good runs must come to an end, and all bad runs must come to an end.
All of the misses we normally make will go in, and we'll win 3-1.

Esoterica

We can win this. There are too many pessimist on here denying that we can be a very good side. We just need to find the net more from those chances.
I'd bring Doyle back with Kelly. It's been crying out for that all season.
Drop JCH and Bakayako in favour of Chaplin and Hiwula together with support from strong wing backs, Andreu and Thomas. Let Kelly and Doyle do the dog work in breaking up play, winning the ball and protecting the back 4. Attack will be the best form of defense.
Doyle doesn't break up play, that's half the problem with him this season - he barely makes a tackle mainly because his ground speed is so slow. It's part of the reason he sits so deep, League 1 is too quick for him and he gets bypassed if he ventures too far up the pitch. His game now is all about anticipation - out of possession using his years of experience to gather loose balls and poor knock downs and in possession making himself available for an easy pass (but because of his deep starting position there is no impetus in our play). Sadly it just isn't enough of a contribution in a 2 man midfield in L1 for 90 minutes.
The reason Kelly looked good on Saturday was the amount of balls he won off Walsall players, including several times in their own half. He also moved the ball quicker, not just his short passing but his longer passing - his diagonal balls into the wingers immediately put Walsall onto the back foot.
He did fade 2nd half, match fitness I suppose, but a midfield 2 of Kelly + Bayliss worked well for 60 mins, until the edge of the Walsall box. Bayliss radar was badly off but it was his first game since the 4-2-3-1 experiments at the start of the season, where he had that much freedom to play in the opposition half. Plus his strikers were both playing as individuals. He's good enough to adapt and add more threat to his game in the coming weeks.

Have to remember too that half of Saturday's team hadn't started a league game for a couple of months - Baka, Sterling, Kelly, Shipley and Davies returned with Bayliss and Chaplin playing higher roles than they have before. Bringing in a brand new midfield pairing as well as a new striking pair for a 2nd match in a row would smack of desperation. So only little tweaks needed for me, being braver and playing higher 2nd half being number 1 and then finding a striking combo that works.

I'll pretend I didn't read the suggestion of Andreu at Left Mid. :p

steve82

Although we did concede against all but Barnsley! Record is solid though - P6 W3 D2 L1 GF7 GA5

We’re not a bad side at home to be fair, resilient at least and grind out results and points. We’re not on par with Lutons home form but then I doubt many in the leagues are currently, and their away form is respectful due to the ability to score regularly.

Bagging one or two early chances is key here as Luton will score and get better deeper into games it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

Just two changes for me from last week and it’s the sharp/blunt end

--------------Burge-------------
Sterling--Willis--Davies--Brown
Thomas-Bayliss-Kelly(c)-Shipley
---------Hiwula----JCH---------

Addai, Grimmer, Hyam, Doyle, Ogogo, Bakayoko, Chaplin

Warwickhunt

-------------Burge-------------
Sterling--Willis--Davies--Brown
Bayliss-Kelly--Doyle---Thomas
---------Hiwula----CC---------

Esoterica

We’re not a bad side at home to be fair, resilient at least and grind out results and points. We’re not on par with Lutons home form but then I doubt many in the leagues are currently, and their away form is respectful due to the ability to score regularly.

Bagging one or two early chances is key here as Luton will score and get better deeper into games it seems.

They are slow starters away as you said and they do look vulnerable early.
upload_2018-12-11_10-59-29.png

We also (and somewhat obviously!) don't want to fall behind - they've not conceded an equaliser away yet this season but have scored a few of their own due to their early goals conceded:

upload_2018-12-11_11-39-10.png

They are a lot less free scoring away than at home though so I'm hoping it will be a tighter game than the beating some are expecting:
upload_2018-12-11_12-0-29.png

Philosorapter

Coventry City vs Luton Town

IMG_1983.PNG IMG_2006.PNG

Coventry City (1500)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1521) +21
Draw (1500) +0
Loss (1479) -21

Liquid Gold

Coventry City vs Luton Town

View attachment 11149 View attachment 11150

Coventry City (1500)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1521) +21
Draw (1500) +0
Loss (1479) -21
giphy.gif

mark_ccfc

It will be a draw or win for this game. We have had a bad run and now things have evened out we will get a few good(ish) results.
In our current guise we are a mid-table team.

no_loyalty

Luton have a very poor away record against us, they have only ever beaten us once. On that basis I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Luton are on a very good run, Coventry are on a bad run, so I sense an upset coming.
All good runs must come to an end, and all bad runs must come to an end.
All of the misses we normally make will go in, and we'll win 3-1.
giphy.gif

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

We can win this.

Drop JCH and Bakayako in favour of Chaplin and Hiwula together.

We have 4 strikers, so Mr Robins is there any chance you could pick 2 from any of these 4 strikers and actually play with 2 strikers together up front in the penalty box. Please, please, please, please, please Mr Robins.

giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

They are slow starters away as you said and they do look vulnerable early.
View attachment 11144

We also (and somewhat obviously!) don't want to fall behind - they've not conceded an equaliser away yet this season but have scored a few of their own due to their early goals conceded:

View attachment 11145

They are a lot less free scoring away than at home though so I'm hoping it will be a tighter game than the beating some are expecting:
View attachment 11147
Hopefully we can score 7 in the first 15 minutes

steve82

we need to sort our form out asap. tough tough game though. luton attack alot. i am quite jealous

Even with a old fashioned centre forward up top?
Not your style is it?

Your correct tho, they play well. I quite admire they way Luton have been run as a club and been built back up since relegation to the national league

covcity4life

Not your style is it?

Your correct tho, they play well. I quite admire they way Luton have been run as a club and been built back up since relegation to the national league

i dont have a style. i am not a football snob. i love free flowing football yes,i love tiki taka yes but i was fan of ady boothroyds whilst it worked. i dont care ias long as its attacking with intent. if i had a choice i would prefer pep or mowbray but i wouldnt be pissed off with allardyce or pulis

aimless hoof is what i hate. its just non stop loss of possession

Londonccfcfan

Just the sort of game we need after a string of bad results if not necessarily bad performancw, think we havnt got the results our performances have warranted.

We will win this 3-1 i have no doubt about it. About time our luck turns.

Luton already sold 2500plus as of yesterday.

So should be a decent crowd 13.5k ish.

We will next the 5 on the bounce! With a bit of luck.

Evo1883

Lose 3-1 , go a goal ahead sit deep get slapped despite missing several sitters on the counter , about right

no_loyalty

--------------Burge-------------
Sterling-Willis-Davies-Brown
Thomas-Kelly-Doyle-Shipley
--------------Bayliss-------------
----------------Baka-------------

Ashdown

Not your style is it?

They apparently have a fairly wealthy boardroom full of Luton Town supporters..........that helps !

Great_Expectations

I say the same thing every time I comment on the match thread; if MR allows us to play football and attack we will do well. We have a lot of good footballers, plus pace across the team, which combined can cause issues.

I’d go;

Burge

Sterling Willis Davies Brown (where’s Mason?)

Thomas Kelly Bayliss Shipley

Hiwula Bakayoko

We are crying out for another winger, as Shipley isn’t one, nor is Hiwula. It certainly makes me question MR’s recruitment, as we currently have one winger available and he’s not even ours.

The other option is to start JCH and put Hiwula wide, however I don’t trust Brown defensively and Hiwula isn’t a winger, so it leaves us weak on that side.

skybluegod

i dont have a style. i am not a football snob. i love free flowing football yes,i love tiki taka yes but i was fan of ady boothroyds whilst it worked. i dont care ias long as its attacking with intent. if i had a choice i would prefer pep or mowbray but i wouldnt be pissed off with allardyce or pulis

aimless hoof is what i hate. its just non stop loss of possession

I agreed with you 100% until you said Pulis, the man is a Donkey, and doesn't play football with attacking intent. He plays the very definition of what you hate with aimless hoofs.

fernandopartridge

I agreed with you 100% until you said Pulis, the man is a Donkey, and doesn't play football with attacking intent. He plays the very definition of what you hate with aimless hoofs.

Yes, Pulis is dreadful. I watched the Villa Middlesbrough play off semi last season, he is the embodiment of anti football.

skybluegod

Yes, Pulis is dreadful. I watched the Villa Middlesbrough play off semi last season, he is the embodiment of anti football.

Crap football at every club, left Palace in a shit state a couple seasons back, left West Brom in an awful state last season, and I'm sure he won't do much better at Middlesbrough.

steve82

It makes me laugh how long ball tactics is bemoaned so much and labelled prehistoric football.
Fans of a age of say 35+ grew up on football with effective strong target men and tricky quick wingers with no nonsense midfielders who could play, purposeful balls up to the big man who if your lucky could score if not the tricky fast fella next to him would bag the goals of his work. Commanding central defenders who get on the end of set pieces

Now we all want to be wowed by silky possession based football but it cannot be passed backwards, only in the oppositions half and score with every attack.

Plenty of sides still have success throughout the league with these prehistoric bread and butter tactics, and yes just to clarify their is a great deal of difference in attacking with purpose and lumped balls.

skybluegod

It makes me laugh how long ball tactics is bemoaned so much and labelled prehistoric football.
Fans of a age of say 35+ grew up on football with effective strong target men and tricky quick wingers with no nonsense midfielders who could play, purposeful balls up to the big man who if your lucky could score if not the tricky fast fella next to him would bag the goals of his work. Commanding central defenders who get on the end of set pieces

Now we all want to be wowed by silky possession based football but it cannot be passed backwards, only in the oppositions half and score with every attack.

Plenty of sides still have success throughout the league with these prehistoric bread and butter tactics, and yes just to clarify their is a great deal of difference in attacking with purpose and lumped balls.

I'm not bemoaning long ball.

I actually think Allardyce is up there with one of my favourite managers. He has a philosophy, which does work, has clear success, and I do think he has often been harshly treated. Warnock too.

Pulis is the only one i disagree with, he often has no attempt to get forward, West Brom is a classic example, he doesn't build the club, he doesn't develop them (like Allardyce and Warnock do) he simply just keeps them standing still which inevitably leads to going backwards.

Think Lincoln are a good example of it being done right in the lower leagues. Then a Graham Westley team is an example of it being wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread