Coventry Evening Telegraph. (2 Viewers)

Captain Dart

You're right it was an ambitious move by Wasps, made sense from a business sense but you seem to be applauding it as the way forward for SISU to follow which is wrong.

If SISU told us we were buying Wembley for
10 million and we were going to sell it out every week and make tons of money in the process and the ambition was to get into the champions league within 5 years would you support that? I know I wouldn't (completely made up scenario so just ignore the practicality of it and take it to be true)

What a low brow troll you are, there was no applause or congratulation or implication that moving CCFC is acceptable whatever, I suggest you read what was said and maybe you might understand my arguments, though I doubt you have the capacity to see beyond your small minded prejudices.

Captain Dart

Sorry you seem to be barking up the wrong tree. Cardiff Blues came into existence in 2003, along with the Scarlets, Ospreys and the Dragons, as a regional team, for the advent of the Celtic League, and for the professional era. There has been a team in Cardiff since 1876.

All the regions play in a City/Town incorporating the local team/area they represent whilst each City/Town keep their amateur/semi pro team as a feeder to the Regional Side. This was done to enable the regions to survive in the pro era, as the clubs wouldnt have done on their own, and yet despite this, one region the Celtic Warriors still went bust.

You seem to know something about Rugby, I just skimmed wiki. Whatever it seems that Welsh Rugby was radically reorganised to accommodate a new professional era for the intensely boring game where large men throw odd shaped balls about backwards and charging around like rhinos on heat. The point you are having trouble grasping is that Rugby & its organisation is not settled and embedded like Football, there is still a degree of fluidity which is accepted by the Rugby establishment. That is why Wasps got away with their move & there have other semi-seismic disturbances in the fabric of professional Rugby since the late 90's. I doubt its fully settled yet.

Moff

You seem to know something about Rugby, I just skimmed wiki. Whatever it seems that Welsh Rugby was radically reorganised to accommodate a new professional era for the intensely boring game where large men throw odd shaped balls about backwards and charging around like rhinos on heat. The point you are having trouble grasping is that Rugby & its organisation is not settled and embedded like Football, there is still a degree of fluidity which is accepted by the Rugby establishment. That is why Wasps got away with their move & there have other semi-seismic disturbances in the fabric of professional Rugby since the late 90's. I doubt its fully settled yet.

I dont have any problem grasping the point. But dont let it stop your arrogance.

I think you missed the point in your first post, but lets gloss over that shall we.

The game of Rugby may be boring to you but it is infinitely more interesting than some of the long winded diatribe you post on here.

Skyblueweeman

I missed the original OSB post so this is a reply to that also.

I think the main thing CCFC need to do is their PR and Marketing.

I've said for ages, what would it cost them to do an OAP day? Encourage everybody to take their Grandparents, send a coach around care homes in the city to pick up some old boys. Let them all into one of the lounges and have some ex players in there mingling with them.

If there is an old fella stuck in a care home all week, it would make his month to get out and watch the football if they don't usually get to. Maybe even tie it in with Legends day.

There is the JSB Scheme, why not something the same for old people? Instead of the birthday card the kids get, send them out a retro birthday card with some of the former players signatures.

Said old man's children / grandchildren see and hear about the gesture, they see how happy it makes him, they are happy. It is because of CCFC...

Loads of things that can be done to spread the word that doesn't cost much if anything.

Get Sky Blue Sam working 7 days a week too to earn his keep!

What are the SBT up to these days? Surely this is something they could be taking to the club? Jan???

oucho

Shock as local newspaper gives prominent coverage to Premiership rugby team playing in the city.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Still avoiding the question captain dart, exposed for the franchise loving idiot you are it seems. It's disgusting that you have expressed support and would encourage the relocation of a sports club in the pursuit of success and money.

fernandopartridge

Shock as local newspaper gives prominent coverage to Premiership rugby team playing in the city.
Even bigger shock as local newspaper ignores established historic rugby club within the city to pander to a franchise owned by a hedge fund.
Despite local newspaper's holier than thou attitude towards the actions of the local football club which is also owned by a hedge fund.

oucho

Shock as local newspaper agrees to cover up sale of Ricoh to franchise rugby club, who aren't from the city.

They didn't cover it up, it was widely reported by them!

Even bigger shock as local newspaper ignores established historic rugby club within the city to pander to a franchise owned by a hedge fund.
Despite local newspaper's holier than thou attitude towards the actions of the local football club which is also owned by a hedge fund.

Couldn't care less about Cov Rugby mate - please don't abuse me for the fact that I welcome the Wasps with open arms.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

They didn't cover it up, it was widely reported by them!

Couldn't care less about Cov Rugby mate - please don't abuse me for the fact that I welcome the Wasps with open arms.

Couldn't care less sour Wasps and you quite frankly and for once if Fernando wants to abuse you then that's alright by me and I applaud him after this low life post of yours

Captain Dart

Still avoiding the question captain dart, exposed for the franchise loving idiot you are it seems. It's disgusting that you have expressed support and would encourage the relocation of a sports club in the pursuit of success and money.

You are still having a great deal of trouble understanding what I've actually said & you are still attributing views and opinions to me which I’ve never expressed or supported.

letsallsingtogether

It certainly looks like it, many seem to have already adopted the London club as their new club though.

That is where you are wrong CRFC attendances have not suffered due to the Wasps.
CRFC still get the highest crowds in their division I believe,

letsallsingtogether

Yes they did - all of 100 miles away.
If we'd known you weren't that fussy about where we buy a ground you should have let the club know - probably could have picked up one up north for a steal - you could lead the PR for the relocation.

But I am bothered where we play, but at the same time I am not a Wasps fan I do don't care about them.
I can't change what our owners fucked up.
pusb

shy_tall_knight

I don't care about CRFC either, I'd like them to be sucessful but could never envisage watching them even though I don't mind rugby as a game. For Cov fans to be concerned about the impact of WASPS on CRFC, would it be the same if WASPS had built their own ground in Covemntry or are people on here just using that as another reason to be anti wasps ccc cet acl higgs.

Need to dedicate time and effort at challenging what our owners are doing to get this club back to where it should be.

Captain Dart

I don't care about CRFC either, I'd like them to be sucessful but could never envisage watching them even though I don't mind rugby as a game. For Cov fans to be concerned about the impact of WASPS on CRFC, would it be the same if WASPS had built their own ground in Covemntry or are people on here just using that as another reason to be anti wasps ccc cet acl higgs.

Need to dedicate time and effort at challenging what our owners are doing to get this club back to where it should be.

Ditto, don't let our owners continue on the path of mediocrity. They have to raise their game & should never be given too much slack.

letsallsingtogether

Do you envisage it being the same in same 10-20 years?

Who knows a bit like us really get promoted and the crowds will rise.
Get religated and they will die.

Same for wasps if they have a shit season and get religated I would expect their crowds to crash even more then this season.

Hobo

It certainly looks like it, many seem to have already adopted the London club as their new club though.

I am a Coventry Rugby Club fan, but unfortunately the club have a history on not making the most of their local grass roots connexions and potential fan Base. For instance Woodlands School has produced several England rugby internationals along with Barker Butt's RFC. Not one played for Coventry Rugby Club.

Captain Dart

Not sure what's so ridulous in any of that, are there WASPS at ~WASPS away games holding up bammers asking the club to return or marches in High Wycombe to the council offices demanding the club to return.

Did only a minority of fans go to Sixfields

Was Sixfields a move that was aimed at the long term benefit of CCFC

The General Public are not all Cov fans with an in depth knowledge of CCFC/Ricoh/ SISU/ACL - but most will IMO have seen through the SISU bluff and its consequences for the club.

Something I didn't know
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...wasps-owner-11048688#rlabs=10 rt$sitewide p$3
The former owner of Wasps RFC has spoken about failed plans for a stadium in the Wycombe area and almost four years under police investigation.

Steve Hayes owned Wasps from 2009 and 2012 and also ran Wycombe Wanderers FC which ground-shared with the Premiership rugby club at Adams Park.

Mr Hayes said he endured a 43-month ‘nightmare’ after he was arrested on suspicion of hacking offences after hiring a private investigator to keep tabs on a potential signing he suspected of being a drinker.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Don't know why this is such a complicated issue for some. Seems simple to me.

CCFC
Should play in Coventry. Should not have moved to Northampton even on a temporary basis without a solid justification - if there was one they did little to get that message over to the fans. Everyone had to make their own choice if they would attend or not but those that did risked being seen as condoning the move and strengthening the position of SISU therefore extending the stay. Local Northampton public should not have, and by and large didn't, go to matches. If they wanted to watch football they should attend Northampton matches.

WASPS
Should play in London or as near as possible. Should not have moved to Coventry and the move should not have even been considered by CCC let alone facilitated in secret. Local Coventry public should not go to matches, that condones the move and therefore franchising. It also potentially causes damage to CCFC - most likely we won't know if that is the case for several years. If they want to watch rugby they should attend CRFC matches.

What is clear is that it was not Ricoh or bust for Wasps, nor was it impossible for them to return to London - in fact very close to their former location. It is also known that the CT worked with CCC to suppress the story. CT have not made any comment since that was revealed and that was also the point at which Simon Gilbert, having repeatedly denied any collusion, disappeared from this forum.

As for where we go from here I fear there is no longer a solution that is going to allow us to return to the top flight. The first step needs to be a full assessment of all options. While they may not have a site most of the costs and business plan can be put together for a new ground. We need to see how that compares to staying at the Ricoh.

If we are staying then for me as a minimum we need equal branding and every penny the club generates. However I suspect we have little chance of getting that. We have seen the notion of just ask Wasps and it will be fine is not true. The club have reported they had a lot of trouble getting the Arsenal game staged at the Ricoh and are not allowed to stage a pre-season match against Fulham to raise money in memory of Jimmy Hill.

SkyBlueZack

The club have reported they had a lot of trouble getting the Arsenal game staged at the Ricoh and are not allowed to stage a pre-season match against Fulham to raise money in memory of Jimmy Hill.

Didn't know this. Step forward the usual suspects to defend it.

They'll be taking Jimmy's statue down next but sure some on here would defend that.

It's appalling and very much goes against what Italia has banged on about for ages.

Grendel

Is this stopping a game for Jimmy Hill as a tribute and charity raiser a fact?

if so - well

Nick

Administrator
CH suggested a pre-season match versus Fulham at the Ricoh in commemoration of Jimmy Hill, where money could be raised for Alzheimer’s Research. The club have actually already approached the Ricoh about this but have been told it is not possible logistically. The pitch will be ready just before the start of the season. Other suggestions included playing it at the end of the season or, if the club are successful in gaining promotion, during the first international weekend of next season.

chiefdave

TS added that day to day we cannot make our own decisions in terms of the stadium, which is not ideal. We had to fight hard to enable the U18 cup game to be played at the Ricoh.

SkyBlueZack

Cue the well if sisu made an offer and didn't move to Northampton and didn't do this and that, then they too could be in charge of the stadium. They didn't want to pay for it though. Blah blah blah.

Morons.

shy_tall_knight

Whilst SISU are in charge and are currently in never ending legal battles surrounding the Ricoh I doubt WASPS would be willing to deal. Hopefully an extended run in the championship may allow us to negotiate from a position of strength. SISU won't build a new stadium. Our most realistic option is a new owner hoping for WASPS to fail is another option but may take a decade. Its very depressing.

Gazolba

Don't know why this is such a complicated issue for some. Seems simple to me.

CCFC
Should play in Coventry. Should not have moved to Northampton even on a temporary basis without a solid justification <snip>

WASPS
Should play in London or as near as possible. Should not have moved to Coventry and the move should not have even been considered by CCC let alone facilitated in secret. Local Coventry public should not go to matches, that condones the move and therefore franchising. It also potentially causes damage to CCFC - most likely we won't know if that is the case for several years. If they want to watch rugby they should attend CRFC matches.

<snip>

The fallacy in your arguments is that people are free do do what they want to do. They aren't going to do what you want them to do. They don't care what you want.

shy_tall_knight

I think we are in direction competition with WASPs not only for fans but also the corporate $ and whilst in league 1 and whilst they are in Europe and in the Premiership they have more opportunity for thos big events which I feel will attract more of the non-committed. Freinds of mine are rugby fans more than football but went ot CCFC at Xmas and for big games never went to CRFC. Don't go to CCFC at all now go to 3 or 4 WASPS games a year instead.

Grendel

Whilst SISU are in charge and are currently in never ending legal battles surrounding the Ricoh I doubt WASPS would be willing to deal. Hopefully an extended run in the championship may allow us to negotiate from a position of strength. SISU won't build a new stadium. Our most realistic option is a new owner hoping for WASPS to fail is another option but may take a decade. Its very depressing.

so Eastwood was lying when he said he wanted susu / ccfc here for the long term?

whats your view on this charity game in honour of Jimmy Hill being stopped by Wasps?

italiahorse

CCFC need to give the public a full match day experience including football worth watching.
Wasps already provide that so the longer CCFC play low key games in Division 1 the more chance that new fans will go to to Wasps.

You guys keep raking over the past rather than challenge Sisu on their pathetic running of a football club.

If you think this is acceptable from Sisu (by your silence) then you deserve the club you have.

Attacking Wasps, CCC and the CET is just picking on the easy targets.

Who's turn is it to wear the hair shirt tonight?

italiahorse

so Eastwood was lying when he said he wanted susu / ccfc here for the long term?

whats your view on this charity game in honour of Jimmy Hill being stopped by Wasps?

They have stopped all the charity games this year including ours. I guess now that the white elephant is busy during the summer the pitch also needs to recover.

Terry Gibson's perm

If it is to sort out the pitch then that's just the way it is, as you know I hate Wasps but this could benefit our team if the pitch is a bit better do I can't kick them for this one.

letsallsingtogether

If it is to sort out the pitch then that's just the way it is, as you know I hate Wasps but this could benefit our team if the pitch is a bit better do I can't kick them for this one.

We could play it at Craven Cottage a ground I've never been too.

Users who are viewing this thread