Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (2 Viewers)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Really interesting squad being put together....

A starting 9, a couple more front rows and surely it’s complete and competitive to target a top 6 finish?

Kneeza

The 'extra nine' is looking shaky (and Will Flinn is seen as a potential successor to White & Brazier. Very talented lad, and a sort of Kessell equivalent in that he couldn't get a starting spot due to competition - at Bath obvs - and TBH I'm surprised he's been let go, in one way, but he is ambitious. It'll be interesting to see how he goes, but expectations are high).
I think there's at least one more beast of a lock to come in too, unless that's fallen through. Not sure if he's the signing currently playing in the SH. If he is, then we probably won't learn about him until August.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The 'extra nine' is looking shaky (and Will Flinn is seen as a potential successor to White & Brazier. Very talented lad, and a sort of Kessell equivalent in that he couldn't get a starting spot due to competition - at Bath obvs - and TBH I'm surprised he's been let go, in one way, but he is ambitious. It'll be interesting to see how he goes, but expectations are high).
I think there's at least one more beast of a lock to come in too, unless that's fallen through. Not sure if he's the signing currently playing in the SH. If he is, then we probably won't learn about him until August.

The ones that come in from SH usually don’t live up thinking Roberts & Setu off the top of my head.

Probably missed an obvious success story!

Shame about the 9 White seems to have not kicked on as I thought he would and seeing the quality of Kessell has probably not done him any favours!

Kneeza

Just off the top of my head, from the last twenty years:
Kisi Pulu, Jon Koloi, Sam Tuitupou, Latu Makaafi, Apo Stewart, Scott Tolmie, Matoto, Daynes, Jacques Le Roux, Mateiki Mafi, Luis Criscuolo, 'Elisi Vunipola, Mike Mika, Simon Kerr, Zinzan Brooke, Glenn Delaney, Trent McMurray, Brendon Daniel, Simon Frost, Pila Fifita, Hendry Rheeders, Donovan Sanders, Dan Farani, Henno Ventner, Myles Dorrian, Rudy Brits, James Otutaha, Will Hafu. Probably more.
Mostly very good players, and two of the most creative stand-offs ever to wear the Blue & White. Some quality props too. You could make a very decent side from that 'squad' list.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just off the top of my head, from the last twenty years:
Kisi Pulu, Jon Koloi, Sam Tuitupou, Latu Makaafi, Apo Stewart, Scott Tolmie, Matoto, Daynes, Jacques Le Roux, Mateiki Mafi, Luis Criscuolo, 'Elisi Vunipola, Mike Mika, Simon Kerr, Zinzan Brooke, Glenn Delaney, Trent McMurray, Brendon Daniel, Simon Frost, Pila Fifita, Hendry Rheeders, Donovan Sanders, Dan Farani, Henno Ventner, Myles Dorrian, Rudy Brits, James Otutaha, Will Hafu. Probably more.
Mostly very good players, and two of the most creative stand-offs ever to wear the Blue & White. Some quality props too. You could make a very decent side from that 'squad' list.

Sorry I meant more have come straight from the SH and Cov has been their first port of call over here.

duffer

The ones that come in from SH usually don’t live up thinking Roberts & Setu off the top of my head.

Probably missed an obvious success story!

Shame about the 9 White seems to have not kicked on as I thought he would and seeing the quality of Kessell has probably not done him any favours!

I think this obvious success story this season was Latu Makaafi, bloody awsome imho. Hard to miss too. :)

Setu copped for a bad injury right at the start of the season and I don't think has really had a chance since to show what he has got.

I think you might be being a little bit hard on White too mate, he's been a key part of the best team we've seen at the BPA for a good few years. He's not perfect, but then if he was he wouldn't be playing at our level. Plus I think it's easier to look good as a scrum-half when it's all going your way, in the games since we clinched the title we haven't been on the front foot quite as much which puts some pressure on the position. Sometimes it's not the kick as much as the chase, if you catch my drift. Anyway, just mho obviously mate, appreciate we may differ.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I think this obvious success story this season was Latu Makaafi, bloody awsome imho. Hard to miss too. :)

Setu copped for a bad injury right at the start of the season and I don't think has really had a chance since to show what he has got.

I think you might be being a little bit hard on White too mate, he's been a key part of the best team we've seen at the BPA for a good few years. He's not perfect, but then if he was he wouldn't be playing at our level. Plus I think it's easier to look good as a scrum-half when it's all going your way, in the games since we clinched the title we haven't been on the front foot quite as much which puts some pressure on the position. Sometimes it's not the kick as much as the chase, if you catch my drift. Anyway, just mho obviously mate, appreciate we may differ.

I meant players that arrive at a Cov as their first club on this side of the world, Makaafi has played for a fair few clubs.

Maybe I’m only thinking of the last couple of years so maybe being too harsh.

Setu was a massive shame we didn’t get to see him for any period of time, his highlights reel was impressive!

White like I said in a previous post maybe Kessell being on the next level as such showed his frailties a bit more.
He needs to tone down the boxing kicking game or if he is to continue make the kick into your teams advantage. Too many times it’s out on the full or just too easy for the oppo to take unchallenged.

Joy Division

Well an artificial pitch lays to rest any plans for a CCFC groundshare

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I hope this ramps up more pressure on Wasps.

CRFC doing well at pushing the top of that league will hopefully pull more away from them.

Captain Dart

blah

Kneeza

My usual 'source' is out of the loop on this one (different agent involved this time). However, Michael Paterson has been mentioned in a few places, and would stack up if true. Top class lock/BR, leaving Saints, so fits the bill, and as a bonus his wife is a doctor, so maybe even being seen as a potential recruit for the medical team (which they are expanding ATM). All very much conjecture on my part though.
I will say though, that he's followed on Twitter by both Tuitupous, and with Sammy being an agent in his own right, who knows.
Not long to wait now though.

Back on the '9' question; my 'source' tells me that a 'very good' 9 is being/has been spoken to (maybe still the one mentioned above, but not sure). However, a figure of 120k has been mentioned too as having been offered(!), which fantasy figure sort of stacks up with what I'd been told earlier, so who knows - again. Wouldn't hold my breath though. That'd be a huge chunk of the player budget on just one player (at this level).

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

My usual 'source' is out of the loop on this one (different agent involved this time). However, Michael Paterson has been mentioned in a few places, and would stack up if true. Top class lock/BR, leaving Saints, so fits the bill, and as a bonus his wife is a doctor, so maybe even being seen as a potential recruit for the medical team (which they are expanding ATM). All very much conjecture on my part though.
I will say though, that he's followed on Twitter by both Tuitupous, and with Sammy being an agent in his own right, who knows.
Not long to wait now though.

Back on the '9' question; my 'source' tells me that a 'very good' 9 is being/has been spoken to (maybe still the one mentioned above, but not sure). However, a figure of 120k has been mentioned too as having been offered(!), which fantasy figure sort of stacks up with what I'd been told earlier, so who knows - again. Wouldn't hold my breath though. That'd be a huge chunk of the player budget on just one player (at this level).

Blimey that is a few quid! Any idea what the player budget is?

Kneeza

Nilsen's last year playing before going off to be a full-time paramedic, and Tolmie also covering loose when needed. All adds to the flexibility quotient.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Luke Narraway to Bordeaux as a coach rumours about! That’d be a huge loss considering his impact on the pitch and off being defence coach this season!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Certainly is - and will set the tone for some seasons to come.
Starting to believe, now, that we might, just might, be going all the way...

I’ve got my first every CRFC season ticket for next season and this is certainly a bonus, obviously if the right club comes in he may still go but I guess it’d mean a Prem club, I worried about Northampton when their DR job came up.

Kneeza

Welcome to the club
Yes, I wondered about Saints, but RW has his head screwed on. I bet there were some conversations in Sharpy's office though.

Kneeza

Good to see Deacs and Walshy extending their contracts too.
Good playing and coaching staff continuity - not something we've seen much of over the years.

Kneeza

I wouldn't be too worried if he did move on TBF. Did a grand job last season, but going forward I'm sure suitable coaching cover will be made available (and he wouldn't be playing much anyway). #KeepTheFaith

I was more surprised to see the bogus Stokes rumour to be honest. Caught a few hook line and sinker.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I wouldn't be too worried if he did move on TBF. Did a grand job last season, but going forward I'm sure suitable coaching cover will be made available (and he wouldn't be playing much anyway). #KeepTheFaith

I was more surprised to see the bogus Stokes rumour to be honest. Caught a few hook line and sinker.

What was the rumour!?

Users who are viewing this thread