Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (3 Viewers)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Used to see Carl most mornings running along Binley Road. Then a friend of mine married his dad, Graham, who was chairman of Earlsdon RFC at the time. They live in Shropshire now. Carl's a smashing lad, but don't see much of him these days as he's totally settled in Ex. Loves the place.

Such a shame, hopefully Exeter will give him some sort of role should he require.

Any more news with Cov?

League seasons still an age away.

Need to collect my Season ticket at some point, I’m missing the Wasps game due to a wedding so a bit gutted about that one!

Kneeza

Just spoke with Carl's stepmum. He's fine, and now enjoying things with Soph and their daughters. Had 'amazing' medical care, but with his neck injury and the stroke, there really was no option but to call it a day, playing-wise. He has a few irons in the fire, at Ex, so we'll see what happens.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'm missing the Mose one, and the W*sps one, which is very annoying having pre-paid for them. No news I'm afraid. Very quiet.

That’s a shame, was looking forward to Wasps as well, hopefully make Moseley.

Looking forward to the Jersey one on the 1st! Be good to finally get the league campaign up and running!

Guess they’ve got 2+ in each position, would imagine a big influx of development squad players as from what I’ve read (hope I’m wrong) you have to be a certain age to play so can’t even but first teamers not in the matchday squad in?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just spoke with Carl's stepmum. He's fine, and now enjoying things with Soph and their daughters. Had 'amazing' medical care, but with his neck injury and the stroke, there really was no option but to call it a day, playing-wise. He has a few irons in the fire, at Ex, so we'll see what happens.

That’s good to hear!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched RW interview, it appears that is the recruitment all done (I guess always a chance somebody will pop up from left field) but he’s said a couple that have come in and we’re expected to be back up players have stepped up to the plate.

We've recruited well and pretty evenly across the park and shouldn't be a push over for sides. For any promoted side strength in depth is a concern, but looking at the squad I think we should be good. The coaching setup seems top draw too.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

We've recruited well and pretty evenly across the park and shouldn't be a push over for sides. For any promoted side strength in depth is a concern, but looking at the squad I think we should be good. The coaching setup seems top draw too.

Plenty of depth, it’ll factor on numerous things such as the team gelling and a bit of luck with not too many injuries etc.

I can’t see past London Irish and Ealing for top 2 but I’d certainly like Cov to push top 6.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

How many get promoted?

1 for the time being, the discussion of ring fencing the prem keeps being raised but I think earlier this year they’ve said it won’t be for a couple of years yet (I think) would be a farce if they did!

I think Covs grand plan Kneeza will put me right is ground development (as the ground currently up to prem standards) and push for promotion in about 3 seasons.

I'd agree ISSS, Ealing have invested heavily and you'd expect Irish to be strong being in the prem last year.

I hope the premiership doesn't become ring fenced, whilst I can understand that it is difficult to finance the investment required in ever increasing wages when there is a threat of relegation, I don't think the answer is removing relegation. The same issue exists in football but has been handled with parachute payments.

The money at the top needs to be more evenly distributed down so the effect of moving between tiers isn't as big. I guess the counter argument is that it makes English sides less competitive in comparison to the big spending French sides.

Top 6 for cov is a good shout too. Was it Rotherham that went down last season from the Championship?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I guess Ealing bringing in a whole new squad of big names is will they gel, Rowland Winter said he hoped to get them early on whilst they’re at potentially their most vulnerable but it’s a few months in before we face them.

I’ll be honest I’ve got to know Nat 1 teams and players well but Championship I’ve had my eye off the ball, Hartpury who went up undefeated year before Cov finished 10th (I know there is all sorts of issues there) but it shows there’s is a big step up and to full time as well.

Hard to second guess who’ll be where as it seems a lot of players move around.

Cov play last years 3rd, 4th & 5th in the first 3 games so that may be an indicator as to where they’re at!

Nick

Administrator

Good to see they cater for the 7XLs out there!

giphy.gif

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'm not the biggest Rugby fan but always look out for Cov's results. How do you reckon we'll get on in this division ?

Hard to call, a lot of new bodies in, massive step up with it being full time and in the main the championship is more physical, less throwing it around etc which Cov were masters of last season.
I’ll take 6th and I think everyone would take that being a top half finish.

I had a look on the forum for championship teams fans the other day and there was a prediction thread with fans from other clubs placing Cov between 3rd and 11th so nobody really knows.

Playing last seasons 3rd, 4th & 5th first 3 weeks will probably be a massive indicator you’d think.

One things for sure for me London Irish and Ealing will be the top 2 by a fair distance.

Westendlad

Hard to call, a lot of new bodies in, massive step up with it being full time and in the main the championship is more physical, less throwing it around etc which Cov were masters of last season.
I’ll take 6th and I think everyone would take that being a top half finish.

I had a look on the forum for championship teams fans the other day and there was a prediction thread with fans from other clubs placing Cov between 3rd and 11th so nobody really knows.

Playing last seasons 3rd, 4th & 5th first 3 weeks will probably be a massive indicator you’d think.

One things for sure for me London Irish and Ealing will be the top 2 by a fair distance.
Oh ok.....Is it just 2 get promoted ?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Oh ok.....Is it just 2 get promoted ?

No 1 so it’ll be a battle between those 2
London Irish big club relegated from Prem so kept few decent players, money and recruited.

Ealing bankrolled complete new squad and have picked off the cream but case of will they gel etc

Think consolidation for Cov wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Plus they wouldn’t get in the prem with the BPA at the min so few years of development off etc and I somehow don’t think a 3rd club will be sharing the Ricoh.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

15 minute delay David Halaifonua first touch as a Cov player catches it run straight over their guy who’s been KO’d so precautionary measures being taken as he’s stretchered off. Hopefully be ok!

fernandopartridge

No 1 so it’ll be a battle between those 2
London Irish big club relegated from Prem so kept few decent players, money and recruited.

Ealing bankrolled complete new squad and have picked off the cream but case of will they gel etc

Think consolidation for Cov wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Plus they wouldn’t get in the prem with the BPA at the min so few years of development off etc and I somehow don’t think a 3rd club will be sharing the Ricoh.
Funny really, Ealing must be filling the Wasps sized gap in London

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

62-14 win for Cov over Moseley, very impressive run out that !

All the new signings are absolute power houses!
Every tackle their players went backwards.
Very few errors despite being first game of pre season.

The bar has been raised, can’t help but think Cov played in 3rd gear for most the game.

Pitch played its part I’m sure the amount of players hobbling off for both sides combined was in double figures

Last edited:

Norman Binns

All the new signings are absolute power houses!
Every tackle their players went backwards.
Very few errors despite being first game of pre season.

The bar has been raised, can’t help but think Cov played in 3rd gear for most the game.

Pitch played its part I’m sure the amount of players hobbling off for both sides combined was in double figures
Won at a canter and never got out of 3rd gear all game. Too strong all round, just shows the difference between Championship and National One in terms of physicality. David Halaifonua is a beast with pace to go with it. Some of his runs in the first half were breathtaking. With the pitch as hard as that, it makes me wince every time a player hits the deck. It must have been a contributing factor in the amount of injuries. I really hope we get a decent amount of rain in the next couple of weeks before our Championship opener.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Won at a canter and never got out of 3rd gear all game. Too strong all round, just shows the difference between Championship and National One in terms of physicality. David Halaifonua is a beast with pace to go with it. Some of his runs in the first half were breathtaking. With the pitch as hard as that, it makes me wince every time a player hits the deck. It must have been a contributing factor in the amount of injuries. I really hope we get a decent amount of rain in the next couple of weeks before our Championship opener.

Halaifonua 2nd big run was something else, as he headed 25 yards towards the bloke who was about to tackle same position as the first I genuinely said “oh s**t” fortunately I’m sure Halaifonua deliberate almost dived over the guy so he didn’t have to hit him.

No disrespect to the lads who have just turned full time but you could tell the experienced pros a mile off in the Cov side, hopefully exsisting lads will make the step up with them as the jump N1 to champ based on today looked twice as big as I expected!

wingy

Looks like your wish has been granted !!B-)

Ashdown

Sounds like the conditions have changed so much over the summer. It was a quagmire when we lifted the trophy back in April, perhaps they should have applied a bit more water to soften it. Looking forward to the Wasps game in a fortnight, I'm gonna pre order tickets as it could be busy. What was the crowd like yesterday v Moseley ?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Sounds like the conditions have changed so much over the summer. It was a quagmire when we lifted the trophy back in April, perhaps they should have applied a bit more water to soften it. Looking forward to the Wasps game in a fortnight, I'm gonna pre order tickets as it could be busy. What was the crowd like yesterday v Moseley ?

Missing the wasps one, apparently wasps are playing in Ireland the night before so itll be a really under strength team which is a massive shame especially at full price.
Crowd was given at 1200 I think, I thought 800 max but good turnout all the same.

I did genuinely wonder at times yesterday if the game would be stopped there was a few collisions about 65 mins in within seconds and there was more players down (for a short period) than physios.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread