Match Thread Coventry v Watford (1 Viewer)

bawtryneal

mmmmm

I’ve already stated that you’d carry on if we stay up - the comment is therefore pointless - by definition if we go down then the management team have failed in the survival objective - it’s also pointless to name managers as it’s all about availability, timing and a large slice of fortune that it works

🎣

hopesprings

no I’m not there is zero point - we survive he stays - we go down he goes - it’s a binary choice now
Only binary in your very small mind. There will be lots and lots of factors in that decision as you well know. If we stay up he may be offered a kings ransom to take over at Arsenal or indeed Tottenham!"

Grendel

Only binary in your very small mind. There will be lots and lots of factors in that decision as you well know. If we stay up he may be offered a kings ransom to take over at Arsenal or indeed Tottenham!"

Yes I never thought of that - perhaps he will replace Southgate

Cov kid 55

This is what I've often failed to understand from certain posters.

They're consistently berating Robins week after week for failing to utilise substitutions at a particular time within a game, yet fail to grasp the fact that there's limited quality on the bench.

Unfortunately, the reality is, that irrespective of the minute a player is brought on it's relatively unlikely any of our current bench would make any kind of meaningful impact on a game whatsoever if brought on.

It really is quite strange that people seemingly forget that Robins is very limited in what he can do - now more than ever.
Agree with this, the bench is always inexperienced and lacking in match winning quality. The strongest team is already on the pitch. So it’s often the case that substitutions are often made out of necessity, injury, or as in yesterday’s case, because players have run out of steam. So, we make substitutions that are designed to help us to protect what we’ve got, in other words to try to make sure we didn’t lose yesterday, when Watford were becoming stronger at the end of the game. Of course, if we’re chasing the game, Robins has to decide whether anyone on the bench can improve our chances of scoring, and that’s not always clear cut.

Rugby Sky Blue

They must have been. We are the only team in the league with injuries.
Yeah but they did have 17 players out at one stage.

The difference is they are able to replace them for instance 3 of their best back 4 were out yesterday, Femenia, Kabasele and Cathcart yet they had a Chilean international and the Nigeria captain playing centre half.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11652

Okay. Who? I honestly don't know.

As one example, when we played Norwich earlier this season, Pukki Hugill and Idah were all out so they had no recognised striker available at all. In fact their injuries were that bad that they could only name 6 subs from memory and I think they were all academy players.

We’re starting to sound like Liverpool fans pretending we are the only team to have players injured. Tbf though a lot of the posters on here are Liverpool fans

hopesprings

Yes I never thought of that - perhaps he will replace Southgate
You may well be right!! as you know there have been a number of ex City managers go on and become international managers and of course that famous ex city player Sam who became Englands manager before Southgate :)

Otis

As one example, when we played Norwich earlier this season, Pukki Hugill and Idah were all out so they had no recognised striker available at all. In fact their injuries were that bad that they could only name 6 subs from memory and I think they were all academy players.

We’re starting to sound like Liverpool fans pretending we are the only team to have players injured. Tbf though a lot of the posters on here are Liverpool fans
It's been the key players we have lost though. Its who, rather than how many. And the quality of back up we have. Like with Watford, they had millions of pounds of quality on the bench.

We are having to play Biamou.

D

Deleted member 11652

It's been the key players we have lost though. Its who, rather than how many. And the quality of back up we have. Like with Watford, they had millions of pounds of quality on the bench.

We are having to play Biamou.

Is Pukki not a key player? We have Biamou playing as he’s third choice striker. When we played Norwich even their third choice was out.

Plenty of teams have lost key players. Our best player is O’hare and he’s been available every game. Hamer is yet to be injured it’s swings and roundabouts.

The fact they have quality to replace them with is because they have a better squad not because they have better luck with injuries. Norwich bench was all academy kids wasn’t it? Not millions of pounds worth

Londonccfcfan

mmmmm

I’ve already stated that you’d carry on if we stay up - the comment is therefore pointless - by definition if we go down then the management team have failed in the survival objective - it’s also pointless to name managers as it’s all about availability, timing and a large slice of fortune that it works

Mmmmmmm? Does that comment turn you on? 😂

Im sure you mean hmmmmm.

Otis

Is Pukki not a key player? We have Biamou playing as he’s third choice striker. When we played Norwich even their third choice was out.

Plenty of teams have lost key players. Our best player is O’hare and he’s been available every game. Hamer is yet to be injured it’s swings and roundabouts.

The fact they have quality to replace them with is because they have a better squad not because they have better luck with injuries. Norwich bench was all academy kids wasn’t it? Not millions of pounds worth
Well isn't that what people are saying. We have had terrible luck with injuries and it's been to key players where we have had no adequate replacement.

People haven't moaned too much about Rose, because we have had Hyam and Ostigard and McFazdean.

If we lost Allen it probably wouldn't hurt us as much. Strikers, we have had two good ones only and had to replace them with far inferior players.

Depends on who the players are. Had we lost McCallum, we would have had Giles. In midfield we have Hamer and Allen and Sheaf and James and O'Hare. If we hadn't have got James, Kelly would have been a much bigger loss.

Brighton Sky Blue

Even the commentators recognised we have had it worse than most.

D

Deleted member 11652

Well isn't that what people are saying. We have had terrible luck with injuries and it's been to key players where we have had no adequate replacement.

People haven't moaned too much about Rose, because we have had Hyam and Ostigard and McFazdean.

If we lost Allen it probably wouldn't hurt us as much. Strikers, we have had two good ones only and had to replace them with far inferior players.

Depends on who the players are. Had we lost McCallum, we would have had Giles. In midfield we have Hamer and Allen and Sheaf and James and O'Hare. If we hadn't have got James, Kelly would have been a much bigger loss.

No we haven’t had terrible luck at all. We have injuries, so do lots of teams. Ask Bristol City about their injury list

cc84cov

No we haven’t had terrible luck at all. We have injuries, so do lots of teams. Ask Bristol City about their injury list
Been saying the same everyone gets injuries it’s bullshit we’ve just had the January transfer window...

I don’t wanna hear it 🤬

stupot07

Everyone gets injuries but we have been very unlucky, and the worst hit. We just don't have the squad to cope. We've played 28 league games:

Bonefide first 11 players and the spine plus walker from last seasons league winners. No. Of league games played out of 28
Kelly 10
Dabo 19
Marosi 15
Rose 9
Walker 14
Godden 14

Fringe players that would be in the squad
Da Costa 7
Jones 0
Jobello 3

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Esoterica

Everyone gets injuries but we have been very unlucky, and the worst hit. We just don't have the squad to cope. We've played 28 league games:

Bonefide first 11 players and the spine plus walker from last seasons league winners
Kelly 10
Dabo 19
Marosi 15
Rose 9
Walker 14
Godden 14

Fringe players that would be in the squad
Da Costa 7
Jones 0
Jobello 3

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Agree with most of that, although would have given Rose a 12 and Dacosta a 9 for their part in keeping a clean sheet.

D

Deleted member 11652

Given the squad we had to start with, even if we had the same number of players out as a team like Bristol City, it still has a greater impact on us.

I have never disputed that. It doesn’t mean we have worse luck with injuries than every other team though. They just have better squads to cope with it.

D

Deleted member 11652

Yeah but they did have 17 players out at one stage.

The difference is they are able to replace them for instance 3 of their best back 4 were out yesterday, Femenia, Kabasele and Cathcart yet they had a Chilean international and the Nigeria captain playing centre half.

Yep, the narrative that we have the worst luck with injuries is tiresome.

The Biamou injury makes me laugh. Robins says he’s injured but the injury does not cause him any bother. Now it’s O’hare carrying a knock. I’m fairly certain most professional footballers are carrying a knock of some sort. Most Sunday league footballers are!

Rugby Sky Blue

Yep, the narrative that we have the worst luck with injuries is tiresome.

The Biamou injury makes me laugh. Robins says he’s injured but the injury does not cause him any bother. Now it’s O’hare carrying a knock. I’m fairly certain most professional footballers are carrying a knock of some sort. Most Sunday league footballers are!
Agreed, I think realistically every team has injuries in this division which is probably largely down to playing three times a week.

Frostie

Not true. They had Switzerland International striker Josip Drmic available they just chose not to play him as Farke had frozen him out. Pukki only missed 2 games anyway.
We haven't had Godden & Walker both fit at the same time all season.

D

Deleted member 11652

Not true. They had Switzerland International striker Josip Drmic available they just chose not to play him as Farke had frozen him out. Pukki only missed 2 games anyway.
We haven't had Godden & Walker both fit at the same time all season.

They had Drmic, we had baka, biamou and walker that day. Swings and roundabouts

Otis

It isn't needs rephrasing to it has hit us worse.

That is due to the thinness of quality in our squad.

Users who are viewing this thread